• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana to ban abortion for fetuses with certain birth defects ala down syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nned-abortion-if-the-fetus-has-down-syndrome/

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence (R) signed a controversial abortion bill Thursday that, among other things, would ban the procedure if it is sought because the fetus was diagnosed with a disability or defect such as Down syndrome.

Shortly before his deadline to act on the sweeping measure, Pence called the law “a comprehensive pro-life measure that affirms the value of all human life,” according to the Associated Press.

The law, which was passed by the legislature earlier this month, would make Indiana the second state in the nation, after North Dakota, to ban abortion in cases where a fetal anomaly is detected. It also would bar the procedure in instances where the decision is based on the sex or race of the fetus. And it could make Indiana the first state in the country to require that fetal remains be buried or cremated, rather than treated like medical waste.

yo what the fuck indiana

that isn't cool, not at all. why are these lawmakers being given the choice of what their women can legally do with their bodies

what if a family is not financially sound or capable of raising a child with defects like this

who, exactly, does a bill like this even benefit?

lock if old. i tried to make the title more accurate than the article's "Indiana just banned abortion if the fetus has Down syndrome" but feel free to revert the title to that if felt necessary

if anyone gives a shit about a woman's right to choose then they better not vote a republican into office come november. This shit is only going to get worse if that happens

My wife takes care of a guy with Downs every day. Based on everything she's told me since starting this job, I wouldn't wish a life of raising a child with that on my worst enemy.

What a fucked up law.

What is a good argument to be anti-choice anyway? You are not helping women. You really aren't helping anyone, unless you plan to wholly support the unwanted child.

Kettch

So...they're banning abortions for those reasons...and what is stopping someone from simply saying they don't want a baby instead? This looks entirely political with no practical effect at all, just a waste of everyone's time.

Maledict

This is utterly monstrous. As someone with two disabled sisters, the idea that government removes that choice from a mother is repellent.

What is a good argument to be anti-choice anyway? You are not helping women. You really aren't helping anyone, unless you plan to wholly support the unwanted child.

the typical 2 seems to be "every human life matters" and something about being a good Christian

here's the thing though: isn't regular abortion legal in Indiana? why specifically target a situation where it's likely more beneficial for all involved to get the abortion?

gcubed

So...they're banning abortions for those reasons...and what is stopping someone from simply saying they don't want a baby instead? This looks entirely political with no practical effect at all, just a waste of everyone's time.

Exactly

kswiston

the typical 2 seems to be "every human life matters" and something about being a good Christian

here's the thing though: isn't regular abortion legal in Indiana? why specifically target a situation where it's likely more beneficial for all involved to get the abortion?

Every life matters until the kid is born. Then it switches to "Fuck you, I got mine"

Does one of the Indiana lawmakers have a down syndrome child? I bet this is a personal bill. You shouldn't mix your personal issues with law.

Malvolio

In order to keep their tax-exempt status, all churches that promote a pro-life agenda must now become financially responsible for all unwanted children. Seems fair.

ISOM

This post sums up Republican priorities the last 8 years.

I'm confused... so it would still be A-OK if the fetus is healthy?

Look at this as an attack on all abortion. It starts with something most people would say 'that's not right, we shouldn't allow a woman to abort a baby because of a birth defect' and then it slowly becomes 'we shouldn't allow women to have any abortions'.

It's an attack on all abortion rights but one that tries to trick people into believing it's only protecting against abortions that have certain birth defects.

Does this mean Indiana is also increasing funding for related education and health and human services to meet the needs of individuals with Down's syndrome?

Horns

What the fuck is wrong with these conservative majority states? They craft these laws that will only hurt their state and will eventually be ruled unconstitutional.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Hello, I want to abort this baby for having downs.

I'm sorry maam, we can't abort babies for having downs.

Ok, fine, I just don't want it then.

I'm sorry, you already said it was for downs.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fP0MXJAQhmo

I mean I'm not a fan of abortion. I don't think anyone is, but it's a tough decision that people should be able to make.

As someone that grew up with a sibling with serious and life lasting birth defects I can tell you two things:

1. It's really, really, REALLY fucking hard to deal with.
2. None of these politicians banning abortion actually gives a shit to help families with these kids.

I'm not saying 100% abort all kids with birth defects. Only that parents face a big decision and should be free to decide for themselves. It's a tremendous undertaking.

After 25 years of cleaning up blood, urine, feces, helping a grown adult with the mental capacity of a small child get dressed deal with temper tantrums, etc I wouldn't wish it on anyone and to be honest I just don't want to go through that again w/ my kid so we'd make a different choice.

Hello, I want to abort this baby for having downs.

I'm sorry maam, we can't abort babies for havkng downs.

Ok, fine, I just don't want it then.

I'm sorry, you already said it was for downs.

that's only the case for poor people, since people of middle class or higher can just go to a different state to get the procedure done.
what a wonderful bill

Does this mean Indiana is also increasing funding for related education and health and human services to meet the needs of individuals with Down's syndrome?

no no no
it's all part of God's plan, they don't need to spend more

aeolist

Banned
there's a bunch of other stupid shit on the books in indiana. doctors have to inform women in person during their consultation that human life begins at conception, then there's a mandatory 18 hour waiting period so it can't all be done in one day. insurance plans in the state are only allowed to pay for abortions in the cases of rape, incest, or if the woman's health is in danger. there's a parental consent requirement for minors.

and then there's this gem:

Mr. Pence, a Republican, said he signed the bill because he thinks “that a society can be judged by how it deals with its most vulnerable — the aged, the infirm, the disabled and the unborn.”

a guy like this (remember when he signed the religious freedom anti-gay law last year) talking like this would be hilarious if it weren't outright sickening

edit: this law added the hospital admitting requirement for abortion doctors that the texas HB2 law has as well.

boiled goose

good with gravy
All silly typical pro choice drivel aside, it is such a stupid law.

How than they ever know the reason for the abortion?

What if you don't want the pregnancy and the fetus happens to have a defect?

Equal rights huh? No, you are giving EXTRA rights to pregnancies over those of full grown thinking humans.

It's a political move to turn the conversation of abortion into "why do you want to kill a poor disabled baby!?!" and try and appeal to ignorant people's heartstrings. Logic is not required.

Why have R governors been getting elected in Indiana recently? I was shocked to see this governor race aligned with the presidential elections.

Africanus

This is just going to hurt honest/out of the know people who freely admit why they desire an abortion.
Or maybe, even more sinisterly, they'll determine it based on one's reaction to hearing the baby has X defect.
This is why I say I don't mess with Indiana to my friends from there. How a state so close can be so different.
Why have R governors been getting elected in Indiana recently? I was shocked to see this governor race aligned with the presidential elections.

Because people don't vote in anything but general elections.
See Illinois for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom