• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana to ban abortion for fetuses with certain birth defects ala down syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most laws says to the point of viability, meaning for it to survive on it's own outside of the mother's body. With todays technology, the youngest preemies that can survive is 24 weeks (but the average percentage is rather small). Most liberal states offer terminations up to 24 weeks; in non liberal states is 20 weeks. Weeks 12-24 is considered the second trimester.

But point of viability is a very loose term. Because if a mother receives a non compatible with life diagnosis. Meaning that there is no possible way for the baby to survive outside the womb. Termination can happen at any point of gestation in liberal states that allow it.

There are like only 7 nations which permit abortion past 20 weeks gestation - most of them I wouldn't call liberal like China, North Korea, Singapore, Vietnam.

Most countries are around 14 weeks which is earlier than the quickening, which was for a long time that event which made a fetus "alive".

Im sure they will increase funding for organizations that help children with disabilities and provide extra support for the families of said children.

Shit like this makes me wonder if it would be possible to crowdfund travel money to get abortions?

Hundreds of abortions are done every day, and most clinics are run on a shoe string budget. Most employees are volunteers and there's so few people willing to risk their life to work in a clinic. There are a few organizations out there that help fund abortions for low income women, taking a few hundred dollars off the cost but doesn't eliminate the cost all together. You can donate to https://fundabortionnow.org/ to help women in need.

The other part of the problem is just getting to the clinic. In Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming there is only ONE clinic to service the entire state. There's many more with just a few to service the whole state. Many women have to travel 200 miles or more that just make it to the clinic. But they can't just call, make an appointment, and show up for the procedure. They have to make at least two trips to the clinic because of mandatory waiting times after a "consultation".

If companies like Uber and Lyft are willing to offer free rides for women, it could take a huge burden off of getting an abortion. If a woman chooses to have sedation, she must have another person with her as a driver, adding another burden to a simple procedure that shouldn't take more than a couple of hours for a woman to do.

1upsuper

So, I have a pretty crippling congenital disability. The worst part growing up and now as an adult isn't the severe pain. The worst part's unwillingly but consistently putting my family under duress and pain. They never complained, but I still apologise to them for it, because I know they got the worst of it. Raising a kid with a disability is no fucking joke -- I was that kid, and it is hell on both ends. This law should not exist. Not everyone needs this on their plate. Abortion of a disabled child doesn't automatically make the woman a supporter of eugenics. It means it's not right for her, and that's OK.

At the same time, I have to say this, because I'm afraid I saw some hints of this in this thread. Aborting a child with any disability at all is not a mercy killing. This is anecdotal, but I absolutely love life and I'm so glad I have it. My struggles to stay alive and strong make life sweeter. But I respect and support a woman's choice to do what is right for her.

Im sure they will increase funding for organizations that help children with disabilities and provide extra support for the families of said children.

What about women who receive a terminal diagnosis and are forced to go through labor and deliver of a baby that won't survive outside the womb? Why must a woman be forced to go through an additional 4 or 5 more months of pregnancy, and in many instances increases the risk to the mother's health for carrying a sick baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom