• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Fusion 2 doesn't allow frame rates to adjust once compiled which is rather annoying, so I would have to build for 30 or 60, the game so far has been built mostly around 60 so everything feels great and smooth.

I might just take the plunge and make it 5+ only, fuck sales this is my first game and it's coming to pc at 60fps too, this game has a lot going on at one time which is why it's hard to manage power.

It's ultimately up to you, but I'd say you wouldn't just be losing out on sales, but on exposition as well. I actually bought a so-so Android device for testing because of that, since testing on a Galaxy Tab wasn't going to give me too much insight into how well my games would run on more standard hardware.

I'd say you look into doing some optimization, at least. If you can't dinamically change the framerate, perhaps you could try allowing palyers control over graphical settings such as sprite quality, the number of particles onscreen at any given time or other things that'd be minor enough to allow you to remove them without impairing the player's experience that much.

EDIT: To avoid double posting...
I need to take some time and sift through the tons of pages in this thread, but I wanted to know if anyone if the top of their heads knows if this thread has some information on how to start with a gaming idea and learn how to go from idea to learning how to use tools to make the game.

I have an idea for a game that I don't believe had been done before and is a different take on a certain genre. I've starting working on a basic framework in written form for how the game will work, what levels would be like, etc. I know I want it to be 2D and as such I think I want to wait until Unity 4.3 comes out to begin attempting work on it. Gives me plenty of time to really flesh out the ideas and such.

I started looking for Unity books on Amazon and an finding many of them are for version 3.0 and so I wonder how long it would even take to get something that might be updated for 4.3.

I know the Unity site had resources for this stuff as well. Any other resources for learning this stuff from scratch? In my current line of work, I've had to do scripting, but the only real programming I've ever done was Basic as a kid in the 80s. I think I could definitely learn and it seems like I've seen fairly inexperienced people learn to put games together, though I recognize maybe this is the exception rather than the rule.

I've really been thinking about taking my love of gaming and maybe finally doing something with it and have come up with some ideas I like. The last one that I really liked ended up being done by another person and I think that sparked me to maybe finally try to make this happen with a new idea I came up with.

Writing a design document is a great way to get started. Most of the time, you'll end up changing it a lot over the course of development, but it's a great way to set guidelines for your project and assess the scope of what you're setting out to do.

Another great way to work on polishing your game ideas is to actually talk about them with others. I know many are afraid of others stealing their ideas, but one of the things you learn when you start taking game design more seriously is that nearly everyone has good ideas, but what you really need is a good framework for taking those ideas to fruition, and that kind of critical thinking really benefits from discussing your ideas and getting feedback on them.

I'd say learning though online tutorials and by staying active on Unity-related discussions will ultimately help you more than reading from books that, as you say, might be outdated as newer Unity builds get released quite frequently, rendering some parts obsolete. You should look into the three programming languages you can use with Unity (C#, JavaScript and Boo), see which one you want to use, and then read up on it. Some things about those languages will be different when you're programming games specifically for Unity, but a part of good programming is actually knowing how to solve problems in the first place, and translating the algorithms to language or environment-based implementations later. Books about Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) could be good to help you grasp Unity's component-based hierarchy, even if you aren't looking into being a down to the metal programmer. Personally, I've never learned extremely low-level stuff, but knowing high-level logic has been enough to build what I wanted to do and letting Unity handle the complicated stuff so far (why, hello, physics!).

Flexing your design muscles could be anything from reading articles on game design, to dissecting and analyzing the games you play, to brainstorming some game ideas every day and writing them down into a piece of paper with a basic description, but for programming you'd do well to learn some of the theory and logic behind it before you set out to make your game ideas a reality. In my case, I've learned a lot more from my own research and experience than the three years I've been studying game design and programming. There, I learned the basics, but you'll only get to the cool part if you have the time and desire to research things on your own and experiment a little.

razu

Anyone have a problem where they redo their code way too much? I spend far too much time on simple scripts trying to maximize efficiency in it's structure, and rewriting code for readability and such.

It helps in the long run (I end up with very reusable and well documented code) but it feels like I get no where in the overall scheme of things.

I'd say that's just another form of procrastination! Well documented code's all well and good, but you could have finished the next feature by the time it's done! :D

Guys would you all be against me if I locked my game on iOS to iphone 5/5s/5c only? I am really torn on how my game is running and I have so many ideas I can continue with.

Advantages: balls deep graphics and effect improvements, no need to gimp anything for older devices for now, better enemy AI and more on screen. 60FPS

Disadvantages: limited to only modern iOS (until fusion 3 is released, but then I would just make the sequel) and no iPhone 4 and 4s support.

Might be able to get iPad 3 and 4 in there, maybe.

I still plan a PC release and it will of course look like the iphone 5 build, I also might be able to get iphone 4's in there if I lower frame rates to 30 but it also means I have to go redo a lot of movement math.

I tried to lock to iPhone 4 or better, but messed up and ended up supporting more devices than I wanted to. I can't imagine sales would have been all that much lower.

One point though: if you plan a PC release, release it on PC first! A certain section of the friendly PC community would rather you vomit on their face than propose launching a phone game on their beloved system... despite, y'know, the game being the same!!

Alright, I think it's about time I wrote about it. Introducing

, the world's first first-person time-moves-only-when-you-move shooter*. To explain it simply, it's The Matrix meets Hotline Miami meets a little bit of Braid. You can just stop moving in the middle of the room, look around, see where the enemies are and then decide on the best course of action (which usually involves deciding on which guy you'll shoot first). Take your time, you have as much as you want.

Play SUPERHOT on our website

The game was initially created in Unity during the 7DFPS game jam, and then extra-polished for the WGK 2013 conference, where we snatched the first prize in the Developer Showcase competition. The original version of the game has also been featured on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, IndieStatik and GiantBomb.

If you'd like to know more about where we're headed with the game, submit some feedback (we do love getting feedback from the players) or just ask some questions about the game/Unity, tweet/follow us at @superhotthegame or just drop me an e-mail at spierek@superhotgame.com. Thanks in advance.

*actually, the time moves very, very slowly when you're not moving, but "time-moves-only-slightly-when-you're-not-moving shooter" is not as marketable

Looks cool man :D

Anustart

Well fuck me. My girlfriend just left the house for work and she messages me saying Nintendo called :(

Will they call back? Can I call them? SHIT SHITSHITSHTI

JulianImp

Well fuck me. My girlfriend just left the house for work and she messages me saying Nintendo called :(

Will they call back? Can I call them? SHIT SHITSHITSHTI

I think someone in this very thread got called once while they were away, and they got called again after that. Couldn't you give them your cellphone instead of your landline phone?

Anustart

I think someone in this very thread got called once while they were away, and they got called again after that. Couldn't you give them your cellphone instead of your landline phone?

I have no landline lol. One cell between me and the missus and she's carrying it at the moment :/

Edit: He left his name and number and said he'd call back. Is it proper If I called him? I dunno.

Anustart

Okay, I'll try it! One quick question, am I going to have to pitch them a game idea or what? I don't exactly have a solid plan as to what I'd want to develop for their platform yet.

JulianImp

I have no landline lol. One cell between me and the missus and she's carrying it at the moment :/

Edit: He left his name and number and said he'd call back. Is it proper If I called him? I dunno.

Heh, I keep forgetting nearly nobody has landline phones anymore... whoops. It's good that he actually gave you a way to reach him back. You probably should give him a call whenever you can.

How long was it between when you got the first automated response and they sent you a second e-mail to arrange the call? I'd like to know so I can at least avoid getting overly anxious over a process that's probably kind of slow.

Anustart

Heh, I keep forgetting nearly nobody has landline phones anymore... whoops. It's good that he actually gave you a way to reach him back. You probably should give him a call whenever you can.

How long was it between when you got the first automated response and they sent you a second e-mail to arrange the call? I'd like to know so I can at least avoid getting overly anxious over a process that's probably kind of slow.

I received the email last week, responded on thursday or friday and they called today. So pretty damn quick for me.

JulianImp

I received the email last week, responded on thursday or friday and they called today. So pretty damn quick for me.

But was that e-mail the automated response one that went like "We'll be reviewing your information and a member of the team will contact you soon"? Or that other mail someone mentioned where they double-check your phone number before calling you?

JulianImp

I'm guessing European applicants will be contacted later.

That's something that worries me... hopefully, being Argentine won't make things that much harder for me, since I'd love to be accepted into their development program and release game on the WiiU.

JulianImp

Can someone teach me how to use unity? I don't have any knowledge of programming....but I will be your best friend! :D

If you're willing to put up with some tutorials, you could try the ones hosted at Unity's web page. They give you the completed project, the basic resources you'll need and a nice PDF that explains how to make the resources into the finished demo step-by-step and fairly well to be a basic tutorial, which'll probably ease you in to Unity's event and component-based programming approach.

You'll have to look into learning some programming, though, since Unity doesn't have simplified tools such as GameMaker's drag and drop system, which means you must write some code if you want anything to happen in the game. I'd recommend doing some simple thing, such as having a ball that rolls around (and possibly jumps) in some environments, for starters, since all you'll have to code is the ball's movement system at most.

Turfster

They'll all be read at the start of a new game, then the gameobjects I create from them will be used when in proximity to the player, so there will be specific lookups and editing of them randomly through out a play session.

If you only need to read them to memory once and will edit the ones in memory, you can do an xml file or a text file or a serialized binary file or whatever is easiest for you. If you need to do specific lookups from the file during play, I'd suggest moving to a database format. Adding an SQLite database is pretty trivial.

bumpkin

I wonder how far back in the line I am as far as applicants. I haven't gotten a call yet, but I also just submitted the request form over the weekend.

Anustart

But was that e-mail the automated response one that went like "We'll be reviewing your information and a member of the team will contact you soon"? Or that other mail someone mentioned where they double-check your phone number before calling you?

Ah, yeah that one was months ago. Took months between that email and the next one.

If you only need to read them to memory once and will edit the ones in memory, you can do an xml file or a text file or a serialized binary file or whatever is easiest for you. If you need to do specific lookups from the file during play, I'd suggest moving to a database format. Adding an SQLite database is pretty trivial.

Yeah, I'd really only need to access the xml on a new game start to create gameobjects, then I'd be storing those gameobjects somewhere...or writing a new xml file at game end and reloading from that. During gameplay I'd only be editing the game objects.

GulAtiCa

Okay, I'll try it! One quick question, am I going to have to pitch them a game idea or what? I don't exactly have a solid plan as to what I'd want to develop for their platform yet.

Nope. It will just be a simple 5 minute conversation. Basically asking you a few small questions, like email and address, etc. Then mostly talking to you about the NWF and Unity stuff. Mostly information. They will tell you within a week you will receive a email to sign their NDA to will be able to look at documents and order a dev kit after that.

adixon

Apart from how far in the near future 4.3 releases, 2DTK may still be worth picking up if you need good 2D handling now, particularly if you're using Unity Free. If I'm reading this correctly, according to this developer post on the Unity boards, there's going to be at least 1 very useful feature held back for Unity Pro users only.

How useful that feature is depends on your workflow and target platform of choice, but 2DTK (and NGUI as well) support this type of sprite import and subsequent atlas generation out of the box. As much I enjoy making my own atlases in Photoshop (I don't), dragging and dropping 2D art into the project and having the plugin make atlases out of them has saved me a lot of time and headache, particularly if I have to edit the art after the fact.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post that, you just made the decision really easy! Buying 2DTK right now...

(I am indeed still using Unity Free until I need some fancy lighting, just started playing around with it two weeks ago.)

Writing code for texture atlassing my least favorite part of game development. I love unity (and it's many addons).

I think tomorrow I will decide if I want to go 5+ or not with my game, if apple can get the 5C out for a reasonable price compared to a top end iphone then I will stick to those models only, and the newer ipod's too since I already have 4:3 support in there, it will just look a little chunky on a big screen.

But do not fear, I want as many people as possible to try my game so there is plenty of other formats to aim for too, an PC release can be done on the same day if not sooner since I am building the game on PC to start with.

Santini

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post that, you just made the decision really easy! Buying 2DTK right now...

(I am indeed still using Unity Free until I need some fancy lighting, just started playing around with it two weeks ago.)

Writing code for texture atlassing my least favorite part of game development. I love unity (and it's many addons).

Sure thing!

To add to this, for you and anyone else interested, there's an AMA with the Unity 2D dev going on, with more information about 2D support in 4.3 being discussed.

JulianImp

I'm now a licensed Nintendo developer :3 Now to get to work!

That's great! It looks like the process has been quick and simple for everyone who posted here, so that's great to know. It's also good to know I shouldn't worry much about not getting a follow-up e-mail for a while, since I filled the first form less than two weeks ago.

Sycle

Neo Member
Keep up the good work! After playing the demo, I can say I'm definitely going to buy this game. I didn't have anyone to play it with when I tried it, so I haveyet to try using keyboard + Xinput + DirectInput, but so far the game looked great. I think the morphing levels make things a lot more fun than static set-pieces, and the first boss was interesting, if a bit of a pushover. Does the game difficulty scale according to the number of players, or does it simply make things easier due to having multiple times the firepower? Also, is there friendly fire or a way to toggle it in multiplayer mode?

It's amazing to know you were able to implement the Steamworks SDK's leaderboards within such a short timeframe. Does it recognize all the odd characters Steam allows in usernames?

[...]

By the way, I have a question regarding rigidbodies. Right now I'm using rigidbody.AddForce(Vector3) to move the player, but it has lots of intertia, making the controls floaty and slightly unresponsive. Does anyone have any tips for making the controls tighter while still using rigidbody physics?

The game adds more enemies (and more hitpoints for the bosses) for every player added, although if everyone's pretty good, multiplayer will seem easier because of the increased efficiency you can achieve. Friendly fire would be a nightmare I think, do you see how many bullets you can put on screen? :) (early in development I tested out an actual deathmatch mode - it was alright, but was bland compared to the main game, so I dropped it)

Yeah I felt like a monkey bashing stones together for the most part, but I think I eventually got my head around all the asynchronous calls. Will probably need some improvements, but I'm pretty happy with the way it presents the scores at the end of a level (it shows you your current highscore, and as you exceed it, it moves up the ranks and finally settles into it's new spot) The font doesn't handle Unicode at all, so most of the odd characters would just be stripped out. :x I'll see if I can improve it for version 2!

As for moving rigidbodies, a method I'm fond of is setting rigidbody.velocity directly - the docs advise not to change the variable directly, but what it'll give you is a physics object that still collides with things but can stop and start on a dime. If you're trying to keep vertical physics, grab the vector and just override x and z before assigning it back. Just keep in mind that if you want a character that can fall, constantly changing the vector will allow it to 'stick' to walls, so you might want to do some sweep tests to determine if the velocity should be applied in a specific direction.

embalm

I've been procrastinating way too much. Can you guys yell at me?

I'm on the level building and main menu building portion of our game and it's so boring...

Five

Banned
I've been procrastinating way too much. Can you guys yell at me?

I'm on the level building and main menu building portion of our game and it's so boring...

That was the main reason I started liking making procedurally generated games. Level design is a chore for me.

ctothej

Has anyone here used a pre-existing font for a game released commercially? I know most developers make their own, but all of the fonts my team has come up with look pretty shitty. I read this article: http://blog.crowdspring.com/2011/03/font-law-licensing/, which offers this:

Some argue that you can copy a font (by recreating it yourself) and as long as you don’t copy the computer program, you’re not violating the law (in the U.S.). How might you do this? Among other ways, you can lawfully print every glyph on a printer, scan the image and then trace each image on your computer (none of this would involve copying the software or program representing the fonts).

It sounds kind of sketchy. Is there a cheap licensing fee I can pay instead? I know it must vary by font, but I'm finding surprisingly little information on Google.

Ashodin

Has anyone here used a pre-existing font for a game released commercially? I know most developers make their own, but all of the fonts my team has come up with look pretty shitty. I read this article: http://blog.crowdspring.com/2011/03/font-law-licensing/, which offers this:

It sounds kind of sketchy. Is there a cheap licensing fee I can pay instead? I know it must vary by font, but I'm finding surprisingly little information on Google.

Huh? Most fonts that you can pay for give you a general license or a business license (like $20). Some are just free though.

Five

Banned

That depends on the font. Lots of fonts are free to use commercially, and others just want credit or a small fee. If you paid for the font, that should be sufficient.

Turfster

It's really not worth trying to save money by 'stealing' a font. Just check the licensing information supplied by the creator of the font. Most of them let you do whatever you want (except sell, naturally) with a font once you've bought it.

ctothej

Huh? Most fonts that you can pay for give you a general license or a business license (like $20). Some are just free though.

That depends on the font. Lots of fonts are free to use commercially, and others just want credit or a small fee. If you paid for the font, that should be sufficient.

It's really not worth trying to save money by 'stealing' a font. Just check the licensing information supplied by the creator of the font. Most of them let you do whatever you want (except sell, naturally) with a font once you've bought it.

Thanks for the feedback! I was having trouble finding a website where I could license the font, but I did a little more searching and found it.

GulAtiCa

Did you also try Google Fonts website? I'm pretty sure you can buy them and then get ability to download them for own use.

I've used them for work before for our websites.

The game adds more enemies (and more hitpoints for the bosses) for every player added, although if everyone's pretty good, multiplayer will seem easier because of the increased efficiency you can achieve. Friendly fire would be a nightmare I think, do you see how many bullets you can put on screen? :) (early in development I tested out an actual deathmatch mode - it was alright, but was bland compared to the main game, so I dropped it)

Yeah I felt like a monkey bashing stones together for the most part, but I think I eventually got my head around all the asynchronous calls. Will probably need some improvements, but I'm pretty happy with the way it presents the scores at the end of a level (it shows you your current highscore, and as you exceed it, it moves up the ranks and finally settles into it's new spot) The font doesn't handle Unicode at all, so most of the odd characters would just be stripped out. :x I'll see if I can improve it for version 2!

As for moving rigidbodies, a method I'm fond of is setting rigidbody.velocity directly - the docs advise not to change the variable directly, but what it'll give you is a physics object that still collides with things but can stop and start on a dime. If you're trying to keep vertical physics, grab the vector and just override x and z before assigning it back. Just keep in mind that if you want a character that can fall, constantly changing the vector will allow it to 'stick' to walls, so you might want to do some sweep tests to determine if the velocity should be applied in a specific direction.

How many people did you have working on it? love that you used unity, and game the game is great!

Feep

Banned
Hey guys! Thanks for all of the encouraging comments from a few weeks back! I'm here to announce the formal start of our Kickstarter campaign, with a (hopefully) totally slick trailer featuring our gameplay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auhcbZi6OLI

Feedback, help with the campaign, and just a little bit of help spreading the word are all enormously appreciated :D

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/63518568/blood-alloy
Kind of sucks, but Jobbs might have preempted you a bit. GAF just collectively backed a 2-D metroidvania + Dark Souls influence...

Looks solid though. Love the aerial, and the music. = D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you put up a picture of your Corgi you will get more money. #KickStarterProTips

Looks really nice and makes me depressed seeing how much good stuff there is in that vid and the level of polish I have in my head for what I want to do.
I swear my respect for animators and artists quadruples every year.

I freaked out about the fonts I was using... and then created new ones. Was fun to do, and everyone comments on my logo too, so that's a bonus.

Too many fonts are owned and request that you contact the creator.. and then the creator never replies to emails, but could technically sue you in the future.

Raonak

Banned
WOOT! got my second weapon implemented!

3S67DRk.png

All the movement works, including block and parry, the primary weapon works fully (moveset lifted from DMC3 rebellion), and just added in the first subweapon this last week, a wind elemental katana (basically the yamoto) The combat is starting to feel really fleshed out now :)

gameplay vid with no sound :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5b4DH2ATZk

vivin

Hi all,

Ive been lurking this thread for a wee while now, really nice to see people truly helping each other out here.
Ive also just thrown my hat into the indie ring. Me and a friend have started working on a project in our spare time. We plan to go full time on the idea very soon, so ill be around, asking questions and such :)

I come from a 3D artist background, so I'll try to help out if theres any art related questions.

Theres some really nice work being posted here!

Edit: sweet gameplay vid Raonak! I dig the look of the trees

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

3S67DRk.png

All the movement works, including block and parry, the primary weapon works fully (moveset lifted from DMC3 rebellion), and just added in the first subweapon this last week, a wind elemental katana (basically the yamoto) The combat is starting to feel really fleshed out now :)

That's pretty fuckin cool man. How did you handle the juggles?

Raonak

Banned
That's pretty fuckin cool man. How did you handle the juggles?

The juggling wasn't too hard, basically if an enemy is attacked in the air, it's fall speed is reset to 0. so for every attack done to a midair enemy, they keep reseting their fall momentum, giving a nice juggling effect.

For the hero, if an aerial attack is done, fall speed is set to 0 for the duration of the attack.

having jumping on a 2D game isn't too hard really, I sneakily use the shadows to determine collisions, so even while jumping there's no chance of clipping errors occuring. then have some special tiles which can only be phased through while jumping which i use for platforming.

Hi all,

Ive been lurking this thread for a wee while now, really nice to see people truly helping each other out here.
Ive also just thrown my hat into the indie ring. Me and a friend have started working on a project in our spare time. We plan to go full time on the idea very soon, so ill be around, asking questions and such :)

I come from a 3D artist background, so I'll try to help out if theres any art related questions.

Theres some really nice work being posted here!

Edit: sweet gameplay vid Raonak! I dig the look of the trees
thanks, I'm trying to use a twisted look on stuff. with swirly patterns all round- lots of pixel art looks samey these days, so trying to use anyhting possible to create an interesting artstyle. It looks very simplistic right now. But it'll improve a shitton when I start polishing up the graphics.
good luck with your project :)

---
Anyone know any good software for making sound/music? chiptuney/electronic with beeps and bops. nothing too complex. I know how to program, i know how to do graphics. sound is my weakness which I think i should try learn to do.

haikira

This game development stuff isn't easy. Spent all yesterday trying to get collision working on my platformer test game and failed all day. Here's to more luck today!

My game design course starts on Tuesday. Can't wait for it. I'm really not entirely sure what it entails, but it can only be helpful.

I won't single any one game out, but I love coming in and seeing what all you guys are working on. There's a lot of amazing stuff around here.

Galdelico

I don't know if this is the right place for my question... In case it's not, feel free to ignore it. :)

Aside from proper indie developers/studios, is this thread also for anyone - with a videogame concept/project - who's looking for specific help?
As in my case - graphic designer with a passion for art and illustration - I've got some ideas for a 2D sidescroller which I'm currently doing concept art and level design for, but I'm basically on my own and in need of programmers/animators/musicians' help in order to make it real.

So I was wondering if I can post a bit of my work here and see if there's any fellow Gaffer interested in (or if I should look somewhere else).

Sorry in advance if I said anything stupid or OT, I'm totally new to this scene (so far, I only managed to work with Pointfiveprojects by doing the artwork for Battle High 2).

perhaps someone here from the indie community can illustrate me in one thing I haven't been able to fix for my new game, I've been trying to use normal maps with rotation in XNA 2d spritebatch , problem is that when I rotate textures lights also rotate like being attached even though the light is fixed. It works whenever the sprites are just vertical without rotation, but not when rotated, i've been trying to find a solution that works inside batching but i can't find how yet.

This is amazing. I loved the taunt at the end. This makes me think of DMC x Secret of Mana. Can't wait to see more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom