• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubikant

I agree that unrealistic behaviors are necessary. Yet, I think they were less jarring when characters were just blobs of pixels or blocky piles of polygons. Now that they are animated through motion capture, voiced by professional actors, made of a gazillion polygons (and that you could see every pore of their skin if you zoomed enough), unnatural behavior can really stick out.

Another factor might be the camera. Here's Link against Stalfos in Ocarina of times. When Z-Targeting is used, the camera follows the action closely, it's very dynamic, so you're less likely to pay attention to the other Stalfos. Moreover, it seems to me that the other Stalfos actually tries to get out of view.

Whereas in the AC gif posted above, the camera stays farther from the action, so it's more easy to be distracted by the other enemies (but I'll say it again, I have never played an AC game, so I'm only judging the gif).

I just think the AI needs to react to explain it a bit more, that's all. When you are flailing away swinging your sword every which way, it makes sense some of them might stay back and "wait for an opening". When you are busy bleeding someone out and there's an obvious opening, they should animate some kind of recoiling in shock and horror, blanching, maybe throw up or something, that would give a somewhat plausible reason why they don't attack. Just standing there with a clear opening and not doing anything is what looks weird.

And yes, camera stuff can also really help, like changing angle and maybe even applying a strong depth of field blur during the cinematic kill can help hide this. Plenty of other games have used techniques like that (pretty sure the recent Shadows of Mordor uses both AI reactions and camera tricks to hide it when you do a finisher move).

Anyway I probably shouldn't have said anything, totally off-topic, just really got to me when looking at that gif. Sorry to derail.

Popstar

Haha, yeah I don't think I'll have a problem with license costs if I ever get that successful. Did they also lower the price of a Pro license though? I thought it was like $2000 or something.
Professional (without MSDN) is $500. But there are also Professional with MSDN, Premium with MSDN and Ultimate with MSDN versions which range up to something like $14 000 in price.

friken

So..... I'm not so sure beta keys to fellow devs is a good thing.

How the hell am I SUPPOSED TO WORK when I can't stop PLAYING GHOST SONG!?

:/

Blizzard

Banned

That's the secret strategy -- Jobbs eliminated the competition by tricking everyone into playing the game.

Turfster

Work? We're supposed to work?

In other news, I really like Visual Studio Community with UnityVS.
Sure, you still can't recover from an endless loop (thanks Unity's single thread design), but at least you can drop your breakpoints the next time and step through it.

I just think the AI needs to react to explain it a bit more, that's all. When you are flailing away swinging your sword every which way, it makes sense some of them might stay back and "wait for an opening". When you are busy bleeding someone out and there's an obvious opening, they should animate some kind of recoiling in shock and horror, blanching, maybe throw up or something, that would give a somewhat plausible reason why they don't attack. Just standing there with a clear opening and not doing anything is what looks weird.

The reason its particularly noticable in Assassins Creed, is because AC has elaborate kill animations that play in their entirety before returning control to you - Zelda never used anything more than a fairly fast sword swing animation on the player regardless of whether or not it was a killing blow.
Even titles like the modern Batman games are also generally more restrained with elaborate killmoves that take control away, and the few that do have elaborate lengthy animations (like finishing an opponent on the ground, or the multi punch pummeling type move) don't actually stop the enemies attacking during them, so there's a risk / reward element to using an instant kill but slow animation move. The really flashy stuff is always saved for the last opponent in a combat scenario, as it doesn't affect combat flow when you finish the last guy

Five

Banned
Today was one of those fun days where you have to redo some work because you lost it accidentally. I compulsively hit Control-S after every small change I make, and I turned off backup saves and versioning because that turned my negligible .5s downtime to a distracting 2-3s downtime, which adds up when I'm doing it a couple times a minute. Well, last night I accidentally deleted a large code block and didn't notice in time, so today I reconstructed it as well as fixed a lot of bugs. I celebrated by recording some footage of the game, showing off among other things the recently (re)implemented background and parallax scrolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYIbwIHGbA

Also some webms for people who don't like YouTube's newfound 1080p60 glory:

http://fat.gfycat.com/ShallowSpiffyAntipodesgreenparakeet.webm
http://fat.gfycat.com/MeagerGiftedAntelope.webm

Pehesse

Today was one of those fun days where you have to redo some work because you lost it accidentally. I compulsively hit Control-S after every small change I make, and I turned off backup saves and versioning because that turned my negligible .5s downtime to a distracting 2-3s downtime, which adds up when I'm doing it a couple times a minute. Well, last night I accidentally deleted a large code block and didn't notice in time, so today I reconstructed it as well as fixed a lot of bugs. I celebrated by recording some footage of the game, showing off among other things the recently (re)implemented background and parallax scrolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYIbwIHGbA

Also some webms for people who don't like YouTube's newfound 1080p60 glory:

http://fat.gfycat.com/ShallowSpiffyAntipodesgreenparakeet.webm
http://fat.gfycat.com/MeagerGiftedAntelope.webm

That looks so great all around. Can't remember if it was asked before, so: do you intend to have the editor accessible somewhere in the game for players to make their own levels?

Yeah true, I just tend to view everything out of ordinary as something that should be shot at just to see if something happens so I don't miss on any secret areas. But that's the problem, if it's something that everyone should clearly proceed through then it might not be clear enough.

What's amazing to me is how there's a clear attempt here to make it stand out more because people weren't understanding what to do, which once again makes me wonder why it's there to begin with. And then on the other side people are telling me I'm CONDITIONED TO WANT GAMES TO BE MORE ACCESSIBLE AND LINEAR.

The problem is the game uses empty holes for exits, but then wants to use other stuff that just looks like a wall where shooting it does nothing, while also simultaneously expecting the player to come to a conclusion that a boss should be ignored because the set up is complete bullshit. It's literally the opposite of how Metroid handles that because they knew how to make things stand out and make sense instead of blend with the art.

Sparkly effects are not the solution. It honestly felt like a weird joke when I saw that change made. It just reinforces my belief that entire segment needs to be reworked. Whatever it is trying to achieve is clearly not working although people will defend it to the death cuz you know, being obscure for no reason makes it smart i guess?

desu

The problem is the game uses empty holes for exits, but then wants to use other stuff that just looks like a wall where shooting it does nothing, while also simultaneously expecting the player to come to a conclusion that a boss should be ignored because the set up is complete bullshit. It's literally the opposite of how Metroid handles that because they knew how to make things stand out and make sense instead of blend with the art.

Sparkly effects are not the solution. It honestly felt like a weird joke when I saw that change made. It just reinforces my belief that entire segment needs to be reworked. Whatever it is trying to achieve is clearly not working although people will defend it to the death cuz you know, being obscure for no reason makes it smart i guess?

For me the whole scene was perfect as it was presented, I also came to the conclusion that it might not be a good idea to fight the boss by exploring the room and finding another exit. I loved the fact that you can fight the boss, but you are not supposed to and can make it easier by just avoiding him for a little.

Even I though don't really agree with making it more obvious I can at least understand some of the comments about making the exit clearer, like Pehesse pointed out in a decent way. You on the other just come off as pretty angry/aggressive in this matter, sorry (especially that generalization in the last sentence is horrible).

Five

Banned
That looks so great all around. Can't remember if it was asked before, so: do you intend to have the editor accessible somewhere in the game for players to make their own levels?
Thanks!

Probably yes. I don't know how fun it will be since the system does most of the legwork, and it there might be some fringe cases that the system doesn't account for. As an example, the range that generates the crusher path, I have no idea what happens if the range is too small or the entrance and exit are marked too high. So these fringe cases would have to be sorted out. But it could be fun. Maybe I'll add that as a stretch goal on the Kickstarter I want to do! :p

For me the whole scene was perfect as it was presented, I also came to the conclusion that it might not be a good idea to fight the boss by exploring the room and finding another exit. I loved the fact that you can fight the boss, but you are not supposed to and can make it easier by just avoiding him for a little.

Even I though don't really agree with making it more obvious I can at least understand some of the comments about making the exit clearer, like Pehesse pointed out in a decent way. You on the other just come off as pretty angry/aggressive in this matter, sorry (especially that generalization in the last sentence is horrible).

I'd say if he wanted to present the boss as an optional thing, it would be smarter to actually have the other exit not in that room. Souls makes bosses more obviously optional for instance by having other paths you can go down. It's much easier to reach the conclusion maybe you should do something else, but not only that it's not anywhere nearly as forced on the player. Now if he's trying to mimic how the first tutorial boss works, the character should be far more obviously "outgunned". The fight doesn't present itself in any dramatic fashion and the player is even free to leave the way they came, but all paths lead to it and it doesn't seem to be guarding anything. In Souls, it drops down in front of you with the door closed behind you when you have literally nothing but a pathetic broken sword. The average player will run and will probably find the door pretty quickly. That sense of urgency doesn't come through with the boss, in fact what drove me to look for other methods was just pure frustration with how bad the fight seemed. It was beyond hard, so I was like ok am I missing something? So, turns out I did, and then I just kinda went "uhhh...ok?" I've asked more than once what is gained by this. Either it's obvious and I go "oh, ok" or it's not obvious and it just gets really frustrating, then followed by, once again, me going "oh, ok?". Reminds me of being frustrated in zelda, only to find out my mistake was not seeing some little button you need to press in an odd corner or whatever. It's not satisfying.

And as for how "angry" I am, I'm not really...angry about it? I disagree with a lot going on in it strongly. I don't know how much of my input will be taken seriously but I'm going to honestly give it. Honestly I've had more personally shoved at me by at least one poster than anything I've said about anyone who disagrees. Jobbs seems like a nice guy but it also seems like he's seriously learning as he goes, and this isn't exactly a simple and easy project to do imo.

kingPenguin

Neo Member
I have been playing Ghost Song. About an hour in now, it's pretty sweet. And I like not knowing what things are or where to go sometimes.

Next to playing that, i've been working on finishing up Super Sec Soccer. Gonna release it next week, so I made a little trailer, updated the site (www.supersecsoccer.com) and now I'm gonna go mail preview builds to the press. Hope that some of 'm are gonna want to play it :)

Here's the trailer:

I'd say if he wanted to present the boss as an optional thing, it would be smarter to actually have the other exit not in that room. Souls makes bosses more obviously optional for instance by having other paths you can go down. It's much easier to reach the conclusion maybe you should do something else, but not only that it's not anywhere nearly as forced on the player. Now if he's trying to mimic how the first tutorial boss works, the character should be far more obviously "outgunned". The fight doesn't present itself in any dramatic fashion and the player is even free to leave the way they came, but all paths lead to it and it doesn't seem to be guarding anything. In Souls, it drops down in front of you with the door closed behind you when you have literally nothing but a pathetic broken sword. The average player will run and will probably find the door pretty quickly. That sense of urgency doesn't come through with the boss, in fact what drove me to look for other methods was just pure frustration with how bad the fight seemed. It was beyond hard, so I was like ok am I missing something? So, turns out I did, and then I just kinda went "uhhh...ok?" I've asked more than once what is gained by this. Either it's obvious and I go "oh, ok" or it's not obvious and it just gets really frustrating, then followed by, once again, me going "oh, ok?". Reminds me of being frustrated in zelda, only to find out my mistake was not seeing some little button you need to press in an odd corner or whatever. It's not satisfying.

And as for how "angry" I am, I'm not really...angry about it? I disagree with a lot going on in it strongly. I don't know how much of my input will be taken seriously but I'm going to honestly give it. Honestly I've had more personally shoved at me by at least one poster than anything I've said about anyone who disagrees. Jobbs seems like a nice guy but it also seems like he's seriously learning as he goes, and this isn't exactly a simple and easy project to do imo.
Anyone can read our exchange in the beta thread and see I wasnt coming at you "personally" and I explained why I think that scene is fine. Then I countered your arguments with previous statements you made, yourself.

I'll say it again here: Nothing tells you that you CANNOT run. You are simply conditioned to believe that's your only option.

I'll say it again here: Nothing tells you that you CANNOT run. You are simply conditioned to believe that's your only option.

There's a lot more to my complaint than me saying I felt like I wasn't supposed to run, so yeah please just stop bothering with me dude. I explained WHY other games don't go about doing it like this and why I don't like this. It's not just a matter of whether or not the player understands they should run, I think it doesn't work well either way.

There's a lot more to my complaint than me saying I felt like I wasn't supposed to run, so yeah please just stop bothering with me dude. I explained WHY other games don't go about doing it like this and why I don't like this. It's not just a matter of whether or not the player understands they should run, I think it doesn't work well either way.
That's fine. But you don't hold anything over anyone saying they aren't allowed to counter your or speak their point of view.

You called it a gimmick. I feel that is absurd. There's nothing about that encounter that goes against convention. You explained you wanted at least some design setup, some indicator, something that indicates its better to avoid the encounter at this time. That's about the gist, right? I don't see what could make that specific moment better by leading the player be it subliminal or blatant hints.

You are left to your own devices. What, exactly, is bad with that design? This isn't burning bushes in Zelda. This isn't the red orb from Simon's Quest. This isnt some elusive hint in a quest log. This is a boss you encounter. It incites the basic instinct in everyone: fight or flight - and it does it silently. What is wrong with silent? Fight or flight is an exceedingly simple philosophy that isn't expounded upon in today's games, sadly. What is wrong with breaking that mold? Thinking outside the box? Leaving decisions to the player rather than blatant leading by design?

I'm honestly curious about what makes the design philosophy of silence and control so jarring. Not even when it comes to Ghost Song, just in general what is the failure of allowing a player to discover on their own when nothing is impeding them from doing so.

I'm honestly curious about what makes the design philosophy of silence and control so jarring. Not even when it comes to Ghost Song, just in general what is the failure of allowing a player to discover on their own when nothing is impeding them from doing so.

I've answered this question more than once, pretty much in this thread and the other. You're clearly not listening and intent on just driving this message in that I've been conditioned by games, even though most of my favorite games put a lot on the player to figure stuff out. When you give me these general questions it makes me take you less seriously, and it doesn't help that you kicked off this conversation bringing up "press f to pay respects" and all that nonsense, like that's even sorta in the vein of what I'm talking about. As long as you keep doing that I can't keep this up with you.

Ito

In my opinion, the only problem with that section of the game is that the door didn't appear to be open, while Jobbs was totally counting on it for the player to make a decision.

Everything else regarding design, difficulty, where the boss should appear, where the exit should be located, how to introduce the player to this kind of open progression... is totally fine.

Not only that, but it's not up to us judging the game in that way. Respect the author's vision. We're suppossed to help each other noticing actual problems, not to tell everyone else how to make their games.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but I'd never go as far as to say that "the author is learning as he's doing this", because honestly, who isn't?

I've answered this question more than once, pretty much in this thread and the other. You're clearly not listening and intent on just driving this message in that I've been conditioned by games, even though most of my favorite games put a lot on the player to figure stuff out. When you give me these general questions it makes me take you less seriously, and it doesn't help that you kicked off this conversation bringing up "press f to pay respects" and all that nonsense, like that's even sorta in the vein of what I'm talking about. As long as you keep doing that I can't keep this up with you.
Rereading your posts I haven't found a "why" yet.

You used words like "obtuse", "gimmick" and a brief rundown of environment art consistentcy. Those describe your frustration but don't lead anyone to a real problem. You consistently state that lack of information, be it a hint, environment design, explanation, etc, is not being presented to inform you of available choices. I'm saying you were never told you had no choice. I'm asking what about the design of "silence" is wrong and what can you do about it BESIDES holding the player's hand. You speak in reference to Ghost Song. My last questions were in reference to that design choice in any genre or game.

I know you want more hints of any kind but that doesn't solve the problem of creating a silent system of choice. The problem isn't more things, its ways to improve the silence without obvious hints in a way that makes sense but is transparent to the end user. That is what I'm after and not indicative of any single game.

Edit:
What I'm looking for is mechanics. Specifically, understandability of usable mechanics. From the moment you step foot in the game the very first decision you must make is where to go. No options are presented to you, no hints given, just a flat out "go". To me, that incites the feeling of freedom of movement. That setup was a great indication that I have freedom to go wherever I'm allowed and I do not have to follow a set path. It sets the precedent for exploration in the first moments of gameplay.

I am not looking for typical conventions mentioned to ease decision making by the player. The boss fight was not presented in any way that dictated any move I need to make but it was my feeling of mobility and freedom to traverse that said to me "GET THE FUCK OUT IF YOU CAN" and that's exactly what I tried.

You don't need a video game telling you what to do, throwing up hint boxes or highlighting points of interest. These need to happen naturally in such a way that the experience isn't forced and leaves the player to experience a scene as they do with their knowledge of mechanics, not forced on them in some way that breaks immersion. You convey messages through setting and mechanics, not obvious hints.

Also, I never meant to get down on you if that's how you feel. Its important for me to understand the "why" and not immediately knee-jerk for band-aid fixes. It helps everyone in this thread to get to the root of an issue not by suggestion, but by being open in discussing unknown unknowns to come to a better solution than the status quo.

My Piece

GunWorld is complete! We're ready to launch, but we're waiting on our store listings to be published. We anticipated the game being available late yesterday afternoon but that wasn't the case.

It will be available for purchase on Desura, Indie Game Stand, and directly from our website via the Humble Widget. Check out the launch trailer below.

Aside from that

Love the art style on that Angryhead!

Jobbs

Banned
I am a Metroid veteran though. Metroid marks all of its entrances very clearly and consistently unless there's some odd example I'm seriously blanking on.

so when the required, 100% critical, non-optional path looks like this:

HeMaGeF.jpg

it's clearly marked so you don't have to probe around cluelessly? there's even an elevator in the room, leading the user's attention only to the elevator, deliberately trolling them. Just because you may have already memorized the game doesn't mean that this isn't very easy to miss if you're a new player.

what the designers wanted was for you to examine map and come up with a plan for where to probe around for a secret. Maybe I should try that tactic.

There are many -- yes, many -- examples of Super Metroid putting critical path behind walls that have no visual clues whatsoever, and require probing to find. This is just how the game works, and indeed, that same probing approach to gameplay is what I'm trying to incorporate.

If you're just referring to one isolated example where a doorway doesn't look enough like a doorway, okay, I'll grant you that. I have hundreds of art assets to draw and maybe sometimes they're not always perfect. I never intended for the doorway to NOT look like a doorway, the fact that it doesn't is a mistake, not a design choice. I'm one man doing a game. Can we move on now?

Blizzard

Banned
There's a lot of beta discussion in here recently...apparently spillover from a different thread?

My Piece

GunWorld is complete! We're ready to launch, but we're waiting on our store listings to be published. We anticipated the game being available late yesterday afternoon but that wasn't the case.
Congratulations on reaching launch! Always an impressive milestone.

_machine

We are now finally up on Greenlight!

Open the Greenlight Page!

You can also finally view our trailer:

It's been two months of hard work poured into this and I will definitely share everything with you so you can learn the things we've learned before heading into Greenlight. My main tip right now would be not to underestimate the workload and have the whole team involved. Just the trailer was a massive task for us, but we are really happy how everything came together. Thank you guys for all the help you've given us!

cbox

We are now finally up on Greenlight!

Open the Greenlight Page!

You can also finally view our trailer:

It's been two months of hard work poured into this and I will definitely share everything with you so you can learn the things we've learned before heading into Greenlight. My main tip right now would be not to underestimate the workload and have the whole team involved. Just the trailer was a massive task for us, but we are really happy how everything came together. Thank you guys for all the help you've given us!

Ancestory looks great! I feel bad posting this right after, but DAMMIT I HAVE TO

New There Came an Echo trailer, featuring dat voice acting = D

Great job yall, nice work!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pretty interesting...Sony has started publishing assets on the Unity Asset Store.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/publisher/9662

Just an audio bundle at the moment. No idea how good it is. But I'd love to imagine a world where various engineers and artists from around Sony WWS could start contributing nice things to the Unity store. Not holding my breath - I imagine it's one thing to parcel up audio vs other kinds of assets - but still, nice to dream.

Pretty interesting...Sony has started publishing assets on the Unity Asset Store.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/publisher/9662

Just an audio bundle at the moment. No idea how good it is. But I'd love to imagine a world where various engineers and artists from around Sony WWS could start contributing nice things to the Unity store. Not holding my breath - I imagine it's one thing to parcel up audio vs other kinds of assets - but still, nice to dream.
I'll take a bowl of chicken, celery, unused kitty litter, swords from downstairs and my 4 mics and field recorder. When I'm done I'll have food to eat, a place for my cats to poop, sharpened my blade and put my equipment to use. The sounds are great but foley is easier than people think, IMO.

I'll take a bowl of chicken, celery, unused kitty litter, swords from downstairs and my 4 mics and field recorder. When I'm done I'll have food to eat, a place for my cats to poop, sharpened my blade and put my equipment to use. The sounds are great but foley is easier than people think, IMO.

One of these things is not like the others.

Dascu

Malebolgia has been approved for release via Steam!

Valve has reviewed and approved "Malebolgia" for release via Steam. The next steps for listing your product in the Steam store and for making your product available for purchase and use by customers is under your control.

what have i gotten myself into

There's a lot of beta discussion in here recently...apparently spillover from a different thread?

Congratulations on reaching launch! Always an impressive milestone.

Thanks! I've learned a lot not only through development but by lurking in this thread. I can't wait to see how much better our next game can be.

bumpkin

Ugh... Times like these are why I hate being a total 'tard when it comes to Math and Physics problems. I'm working on a mobile game where there is no actual "3D" depth, but instead I'm using scaling to simulate something moving from close to far away. The context is the player swipes their finger to fling an object.

Right now I have two things going on that affect its trajectory. A measure of the length of their swipe to determine how far "up" or left/right it flies, and the second being a calculation based on the velocity of their swipe which will determine how far away it goes. It seems like a slow swipe's velocity is under 100 pixels-per-second and a fast one is around 4000 or more.

What I'm having trouble doing is calculating the scale factor to apply based on the swipe velocity; 1.0f is full size, 0.1f is almost invisible. Anyone care to help with an equation I could apply? :(

Cross-post from another thread...

If you're an indie dev with experience and you're interested in working on a Bubsy, Clay Fighter, Earthworm Jim, Descent or MDK game, please PM me.

Not a joke post.

Thanks!

DinkyDev

Neo Member
I have been playing Ghost Song. About an hour in now, it's pretty sweet. And I like not knowing what things are or where to go sometimes.

Next to playing that, i've been working on finishing up Super Sec Soccer. Gonna release it next week, so I made a little trailer, updated the site (www.supersecsoccer.com) and now I'm gonna go mail preview builds to the press. Hope that some of 'm are gonna want to play it :)

Here's the trailer:

Would love to see this on mobile. Looks like a great little game to just pick up and play for a bit!

Jobbs

Banned
I know this isn't a job listing board, but since this is sorta one of my "homes" I thought I'd drop this here.

I'm looking for an artist to do animation/spritework for Ghost Song -- For characters and creatures. This is a paying job and there will be a considerable amount of work to do.

Artist needs to work within the style I've set, and usually work from key frames or sketches I've laid out.

I'm pretty new to the whole idea of hiring people, so I'm very informal and flexible. PM me here, or email me at twotimingpete@gmail.com if you are interested.

I know this isn't a job listing board, but since this is sorta one of my "homes" I thought I'd drop this here.

I'm looking for an artist to do animation/spritework for Ghost Song -- For characters and creatures. This is a paying job and there will be a considerable amount of work to do.

Artist needs to work within the style I've set, and usually work from key frames or sketches I've laid out.

I'm pretty new to the whole idea of hiring people, so I'm very informal and flexible. PM me here, or email me at twotimingpete@gmail.com if you are interested.

Have you tried IndieTeamup? (causal nod to spaz)

Also, this just happened:
https://twitter.com/IvanDashSmith/status/533030356190892034

I mean... damn. My heart is breaking a little bit here. I got a few other notable emails, too. I don't want to say STRAFE is dead 100% but it's on life support, atm. Too many changes this year both with my health and business I really am rethinking my next game after Infinite Cosmos.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Cross-post from another thread...

If you're an indie dev with experience and you're interested in working on a Bubsy, Clay Fighter, Earthworm Jim, Descent or MDK game, please PM me.

Not a joke post.

Thanks!

so - who are you looking for specifically? programmers? 3D artists? 2D artists? some more extensive info would be helpful :)

also - what sort of "experience" would be a minimum?

Casey Muratori, a game programmer with 30+ years of experience, has started a new series in which he will be making a game from scratch using the C programming language. He will be live streaming all of the coding on Twitch and it will be archived on YouTube. The cool part is that he will explain every single line of source code (even assembly language code!). It should be a fantastic resource for anyone who wants to learn how to make a game and also how to program. The main series doesn't start until November 17th, so he is doing an "Intro to C on Windows" series up until then. I made a separate thread for it if anyone is interested. Thought the Indie Dev thread would have many people who might want to know.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=932680

_machine

I think we're off to a decent start with Greenlight with over 500 total votes so far, but it's impossible to say just yet what will happen. One of the things we learned last night was to the test the icon with the concept page; our icon was compressed/resized really badly so the icon in the que was horrible at first and even with the fix it's not really perfect, but I will try a fix later on today. I have a few guesses on why it happened, but not really sure yet so I'll share the details later so no one else here will make the same mistake.

Any thoughts on the page or ancestorygame.com would be appreciated though since that's something that is really hard to get .

If you're thinking of heading to Greenlight my immediate tips would be start building community right away and make a proper plan. For us the whole preparations took 2 months with almost the whole team working like crazy and we had a lot of help from other local developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom