• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Thread 3: Indie Jones and the Template of Doom

A lot of the time if I'm banging my head against trying to find a solution a good nights sleep or doing something entirely unrelated helps as my subconscious can noodle away at it and send me the answer as a flash of inspiration

Same, I often might spend hours trying to fix something, sleep, then wake up and fix it in 10 minutes.

Its funny but so frustrating

DemonNite

A lot of the time if I'm banging my head against trying to find a solution a good nights sleep or doing something entirely unrelated helps as my subconscious can noodle away at it and send me the answer as a flash of inspiration

yep happens to me a lot. Once went to bed with a design problem and woke up the next morning having dreamt something about it and tried out the solution. Worked out like a charm

_Rob_

Sleep doesn't get enough credit. I spent about 2 hours wrestling with a camera attached to an object with a "lookat" function in Unity the other day; only to wake up and realise I had the bloody camera attached to the wrong axis... hence why it wouldn't point in the right direction!

Tain

I've been extra bad with sleep lately. It's so dangerous! I think that after I release this initial update to the Horizon Vanguard demo I'll be taking a bit of a breather (I miss playing video games, lol).

_Rob_

(I miss playing video games, lol).

On that note, does anyone else in here find it more difficult to enjoy playing games since working on your own? I can't, not, be analysing everything as I play, meaning immersion is incredibly difficult to achieve.

On that note, does anyone else in here find it more difficult to enjoy playing games since working on your own? I can't, not, be analysing everything as I play, meaning immersion is incredibly difficult to achieve.

I had problems with getting really immersed but found the fix

play VR games :D

Tain

I think that's been a thing for me for a long time, to varying degrees. Even before getting into development you can start to get a super-vague sense of what's going on under the hood and the illusion becomes a little more difficult to maintain.

I still get plenty engaged, though. I've had MVCI and Divinity OS2 on the brain all day. And yeah, sinking into a VR game is something else.

Actually I've always enjoyed analyzing games while I played them. In the old Tomb Raides for instance you could tell static objects and dynamic ones apart very easily since only the latter were affected by the lightning. So it was very easy to spot, say, a hidden door which was supposed to blend in with the rest of the environment.

Another thing that I enjoy doing is buying lesser versions of games just to appreciate how they run on an inferior hardware.

DemonNite

Since getting into the games industry, I have played less and less. I found myself not enjoying games as much and played them for different reasons e.g. mechanics and so on.

I don't actually miss it and enjoy working on my own stuff but if a big game comes my way I will try a make time for it but I can hardly remember the last game I played to completion... probably The Last of Us on PS3 that I got for free via work lol

DemonNite

Had to give some love to the UI area and add new overlays for the ever increasing scale of the game. Still not sure I need the Inventory (its not functional yet) but since adding the House, collecting and puzzle solving is becoming a real thing and players are losing track of what they have.

Anyway, a short video showing the different overlays I've implemented thus far. Oh and all text is placeholder :p

https://streamable.com/be0cg

embalm

Our RPG has been making great progress. We have a temporary name for the project, Channeler. We have decided on a Gothic setting for our elemental fueled adventure.

This was some concept art, later pixelated as a hype screen for the team.
t93s9vu.jpg

We are still playing around with a variety of art styles, but we decided to focus on getting the battle screen and enemy sprites looking good first. We're getting closer to the style that feels right and that's good.

On the mechanics side I have updated stats. Added antique guns and mechanics to support them. Updated all of our NPC and companion logic so that you can manage your party much easier.

_Rob_

I figured it couldn't be just me! I suppose it just means a game has to be truly excellent now!

Progress on our RPG has been making great progress. We have a temporary name for the project. We have decided on a Gothic setting for our elemental fueled adventure.

We are still playing around with a variety of art styles, but we decided to focus on getting the battle screen and enemy sprites looking good first.

We are still exploring and trying to find the right art style, but we are getting closer and that's a good feeling.

Looking nice! Personally I prefer the anti aliased look, but I would imagine it to be a slightly different conversation once you know how well they'll stand out from background layers.

DemonNite

Progress on our RPG has been making great progress. We have a temporary name for the project. We have decided on a Gothic setting for our elemental fueled adventure.

We are still playing around with a variety of art styles, but we decided to focus on getting the battle screen and enemy sprites looking good first.

We are still exploring and trying to find the right art style, but we are getting closer and that's a good feeling.

the anti aliased set looks good as they stand... good stuff

Also forgot that I did do some other work besides UI/UX fluff recently... I added the first batch of Crucifixes in the game each with a different ability to aid the player.

I still want to add a crystal/glass looking one and maybe a more aggressive themed crucifix also. Also, if I can conjure one up... maybe a fleshy type cross would look neat

Is it okay to post a video link? This one wouldn't make much sense in gif form.

https://youtu.be/hjDm3_7wxUw

Nothing particularly fancy, just a short video of the elevator I've been working on. For now I have a button that calls the elevator, plays the appropriate sound (hence the need for a video), and finally triggers the opening of the door.

Btw, I'd have a question unity-related. Since it is not convenient, imo, to have multiple components of the same type for the same GameObject (because you can't tell them apart when you get them in the script and the order they appear in the array returned by GetComponents is not guaranteed), what I'm doing is, for example, loading from resources two audio clips and then playing them using the same AudioSource. What I'm wondering is: how much of a burden for the system (generally speaking) this loading operation is? I find myself doing that quite often, generally whenever I need to swap textures, play different clips coming from the same source etc.

Moreover I tried to make subfolders inside Resources but it would seem that Unity was not able to load the contents inside those. Should I make different Resources folders instead and put them under the appropriate macro-folders, like sound, textures etc.?

the anti aliased set looks good as they stand... good stuff

Also forgot that I did do some other work besides UI/UX fluff recently... I added the first batch of Crucifixes in the game each with a different ability to aid the player.

I still want to add a crystal/glass looking one and maybe a more aggressive themed crucifix also. Also, if I can conjure one up... maybe a fleshy type cross would look neat

PLEASE tell me that if the player runs out of crosses and tries to use one, they make a finger cross

gh121G9.png

And then when you use it the enemies start laughing hysterically at you

And maybe 1% chance die of laughter

DemonNite

PLEASE tell me that if the player runs out of crosses and tries to use one, they make a finger cross

gh121G9.png

Lol. Actually I can do that right now in the VR test I did a while back since I made it possible to point, thumbs up, grip at will on the vive controllers :D

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I'm in the final stages of releasing my game. I've got a website, trailer, and the game itself ready to go and it feels solid. But I feel like in order for my game to even make a dent and generate any kind of sales, i should work with a publisher. Any advice on picking a publisher for purely 1 month pre and post launch marketing purposes? Put simply, I'm looking for a firm to send emails that would get read, and tweet about my game :p

jahasaja

I am the opposite, I really appreciate good game mechanics more now when I realise how hard it is.

But that is when a game is good, when a game is bad I might be more critical.

Pehesse

I am the opposite, I really appreciate good game mechanics more now when I realise how hard it is.

Same as Jahasia, if anything, I appreciate a lot more by trying to understand how and why anything was built, rather than simply taking everything at face value. I'd argue even bad games are interesting, if for nothing else than "why doesn't this work for me?" - though there are some exceptions, of course :-D

missile

gh121G9.png

LOL Would be so funny!!

Same over here.

Aditionally, considering games, I realize much more theses days that I play a
vision of someone and not a game of my vision. So games have grown as an
art form inside me, not because they are done by artists, not, but because I
perceive them like art. The good ones, I mean. ;)

jahasaja

Our RPG has been making great progress. We have a temporary name for the project, Channeler. We have decided on a Gothic setting for our elemental fueled adventure.

We are still playing around with a variety of art styles, but we decided to focus on getting the battle screen and enemy sprites looking good first. We're getting closer to the style that feels right and that's good.

On the mechanics side I have updated stats. Added antique guns and mechanics to support them. Updated all of our NPC and companion logic so that you can manage your party much easier.

I think the postures in the drawings have been little bit lost in pixelart. Especially, the guy with the red rope looked much more dynamic in the drawing.

I think if you added a light source and shading to the pixelart they would look better. You can also change the colours for the skin. If you look up some references for skin tone in pixelart you can get some ideas.

And as always the guys and gals over at pixelation are super helpful. If you put one of your characters up on their forum they can give you some help which you can apply to the rest of your sprites.

missile

Guys 'n gals,

how much money would you spend for a new and proper gif recorder for game
developers? Well, perhaps you're satisfyed with the recorders we have today
and can't see any need doing a new or even paid one. Okey, no problem. I
somehow want to see whether it's worth spending the time doing a new one or
not. Anyhow. I'm willing to develop a new gif recorder, say, for game
developers, leaving out many of the editing features whatsoever at first.

What bugs me since ages is the weak encoding quality and bugs we see. I want
to build a new one from scratch. I always wanted to build one but I always
thought someone will do a good one sooner or later. But it never happened (not
to my standard). Given most of the recorders, I think I can build a better
one. How? Well, some people in here know me quite well and also perhaps for
my work on quantization, dithering, and perception. I would put all that
knowledge together to come up with a better gif recorder. I'm not going for a
me-too one here, no, I'm willing to put some heavy work in actually improving
the quantizer for better color reproduction while also letting the user adjust
many of the trade-offs.

So the gif recorder of mine should expose the quantizer such that you can
adapt the quality to your liking, i.e. tailoring the trade-offs with respect
to your specific animation, if needed, featuring stuff like selecting color
bit depth, select a quantizer + controlling its sub-features like weighting
strategies etc., priority colors, highlight compensation (if needed), choose
any dithering technique, do tone-correction before quantizing, able to weigh
in human perception to balance color reproduction with respect to human vision
like for example including the Weber-Fechner law, or trading in some noise to
counter banding with you being able to choose what type of noise. And so on.

I know, gif is old tech (30 years by now), so why spent some fresh money and
time into it? You know what, gif just works! Yeah, the modern yadda dadda
video codecs do a much better job at compressing etc., but each year there
will be a new codec with perhaps some patents on its back, which needs to be
supported by apps etc. anew. There is no raw video standard every app really
supports, everyone has its own one and you need to rely on support. The
interoperability of properly encoded video is quite lacking, still. I'm on an
(1159EUR) iPad Pro with Hangouts and it just sux when wanting to post or view
some short videos in some given formats. If I open a gif recorder and make a
short video, I can paste it everywhere. It just works!

Gif has also made a certain "comeback", see for example Facebook's Gif Button,
support on PS4, and iOS 11 now also supports animated-gifs (go to Photos an
click an animated-gif, it plays)!

So I think there are a few more decades to go until gif will be wiped from
the planet, if ever. I don't think this will ever be the case at all, because
the gif format is just too simple and well known not to be included. I think
the major companies would need to agree upon not supporting gif any longer to
make it disapear. But quite the contrary is the case as of late. I'm pretty
sure iOS11 lastest animated-gif support will stay for ages from now on.

Anyhow, whether the format will be used in 20 years from now isn't what drives
me. I think the color reproduction can still be improved for 256 colors images
saved in a gif, and I think that this may come in handy when wanting to show
off your game with some short animations and without needing to accept color
errors, heavy banding, or flickering.

Paid? It should be a paid product for a couple of reasons. First I need to
justify the time spending into it away from all of my other doings. For fun
and pleasure doesn't work any longer when you have a family where everyone
counts on you (every hour). So doing it entirely for free doesn't work for me.
On the other hand, if most people are satisfied with the recorders we have
today, for free, then it's not worth for me going that length doing any
improvemnts. That's why I'm asking.

However, the main reason for making it a paid product is that you can and
should expect something from the product. With the money spent the gif recorder
can be better maintained and also improved further on. So it won't become a
dead end like many of them which never got their bugs fixed.

I also have lots of ideas for improving it like implementing many artistic
dither filters, hatches, patterning etc., or mapping the animation to a fixed
old-school color palettes like NES or C64, or use ASCII resp. dot-matrix
printer patterns with overprint effect etc. to give you that special vibe.

So if you think that such a gif recorder could be useful to you, with you
willing to pay a few dollars for such product, then I think I can make that a
reality.

What you say?

LordRaptor

What bugs me since ages is the weak encoding quality and bugs we see. I want
to build a new one from scratch. I always wanted to build one but I always
thought someone will do a good one sooner or later. But it never happened (not
to my standard). Given most of the recorders, I think I can build a better
one. How? Well, some people in here know me quite well and also perhaps for
my work on quantization, dithering, and perception. I would put all that
knowledge together to come up with a better gif recorder. I'm not going for a
me-too one here, no, I'm willing to put some heavy work in actually improving
the quantizer for better color reproduction while also letting the user adjust
many of the trade-offs.

I mean, I think we discussed this before, but I believe that the generally poor output quality of the freeware gif encoders, is because Adobe have a ton of software patents related to perceptible quality options like dithering and quantising that they basically block anyone being able to do much in the way of improving.

I don't have full fat photoshop, but as I understand it, it offers a vastly superior quality to filesize compromise on animated gifs than any of the standalone options, and I believe thats because they all use the open source "as good as we can legally get it" encoding cores.

Its like Simplex noise is way better than Perlin noise, but is generally avoided as Simplex noise is patented and Perlin noise isn't.

embalm

Thanks to Rob, KMonkey, and jahasaja for the great feedback. I've shared it with our artist and I'm sure we'll have more treats to share in the near future.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Perhaps gimp converts the anitmated gif into a difference coded one where static pixels are marked as transparent. Saves a lot of bytes if you have slow varying pixels, i.e. backgrounds etc..

Converting static pixels to transparent and using cumulative layer replacement can make a world of difference in size. Gimp doesn't do these automatically for you when you save as GIF but it offers ways for it to be done.

Guys 'n gals,

how much money would you spend for a new and proper gif recorder for game
developers? Well, perhaps you're satisfyed with the recorders we have today
and can't see any need doing a new or even paid one. Okey, no problem. I
somehow want to see whether it's worth spending the time doing a new one or
not. Anyhow. I'm willing to develop a new gif recorder, say, for game
developers, leaving out many of the editing features whatsoever at first....

If there was an all in one solution that worked better than what I'm doing currently I'd certainly be willing to pay a few bucks for it. We all see people asking questions about GIF creation in here a lot, I doubt i'd be the only one. It can be hard to get people to pay for things when there are free alternatives though, even if the paid product is vastly superior. So I don't know how worth your time it would be overall.

Blizzard

Banned
I mean, I think we discussed this before, but I believe that the generally poor output quality of the freeware gif encoders, is because Adobe have a ton of software patents related to perceptible quality options like dithering and quantising that they basically block anyone being able to do much in the way of improving.

I don't have full fat photoshop, but as I understand it, it offers a vastly superior quality to filesize compromise on animated gifs than any of the standalone options, and I believe thats because they all use the open source "as good as we can legally get it" encoding cores.

Its like Simplex noise is way better than Perlin noise, but is generally avoided as Simplex noise is patented and Perlin noise isn't.
I kind of feel this way as well, especially since I feel there might be questions of reverse engineering and legality if something came close to Photoshop / whatever, and to avoid all that I just stick with free and known safe stuff, plus videos if I need good quality.

missile

... If there was an all in one solution that worked better than what I'm doing currently I'd certainly be willing to pay a few bucks for it. We all see people asking questions about GIF creation in here a lot, I doubt i'd be the only one. It can be hard to get people to pay for things when there are free alternatives though, even if the paid product is vastly superior. So I don't know how worth your time it would be overall.

I kind of feel this way as well, especially since I feel there might be questions of reverse engineering and legality if something came close to Photoshop / whatever, and to avoid all that I just stick with free and known safe stuff, plus videos if I need good quality.
I can understand the concern about any patents whatsoever. That's something
you can run into every time you flip a bit developing new stuff. But that's
something I have to deal with and not the user. So it's clear that I need to
check against some patents in the end and my come to an agreement if there is
any valid claim. Considering Photoshop, I, for a reason, haven't looked at any
of their patents, yet, (some being posted in here) to save myself from getting
influences by them, because I follow a native interest and don't want to draw
straight from any competitor. So I can safely say (to myself) that I haven't
used anything from Photoshop, which doesn't save me from violating any of
their patents in the end, but in that case we either draw from the same source
like Robert Ulichney, Digital Halftoning (1987), which is my main source, and/
or we have had the same ideas, which would be quite interesting if true. I did
a couple of stuff on my own. For example, I extended the median-cut algorithm
(free) to account for the highlights in a scene. I extended the octree
quantizer algorithm (free) in having implemented a better way to combine the
sub-nodes leading to some better shades. Etc. I would be astonished if exactly
such extenstions are patented. lol Could be the case, sure, but that's rather
unlikely. I mean Photoshop hasn't any implementation to account for the
highlights of your image. I made a test a year ago in here where I showed what
Photoshop does to your highlights and how my algorithm can deal with them.
Doesn't prove anything, indeed, but rather unlikely nevertheless.

I wouldn't even say Photoshop has the best algorithms within this regard. I
think the printing industry will hold the best of them considering doing good
photo copies. And I've heard the best of them aren't even patented to not give
any advantage to the competitor working around any such patents. Some of them
are kept a secret like the ingediences of Chanel N°5.

However, patents are just one thing. It's also about relibility and good
implementation of the status quo of what is known and free since ages. I mean,
lets have a look at what tamaster92 said last page. He was dissatisfied with
gifcam because of the green spots. He then wrote; "Found a nice little program
called licecap that does exactly what i need :)". My answer follows closely
thereafter. LICEcap? It doesn't even allow you to use any dithering! It's a
pretty mess when it comes to shades, which hasn't anything to do to refrain
from any patented method. So I had a look into the code of LICEcap, no
dithering. Why? Patents? Surely not! There are a million of free patterns and
methods one can use here. Another thing I recognized within the code is that
LICEcap maps from 15 bits (555) into the octree computed color map. To do so
they simply shift 3 bits out of your 8 bits per color channel. These 3 bits
are gone for nothing. There are a couple of other things here and there, but
what I wanna say is that it is not the case that the quality of the free gif
recorders is the "best possible" before violating any patents, as LordRaptor
may have anticipated. The reality is that LICEcap is used, see tamaster92 gif
from last page which lacks in visual quality a lot. The huge bands in the gray
areas are nothing but distracting. It's here where I say this situation can be
improved, to make it more sound, more reliable. More control over the quantizer
(usually not found in any gif recorder) would also be nice to have to make for
better quality vs. size tradeoffs.

@missle, APNG may finally be on the cusp of taking over from animated GIFs.

So for better quality but "just works" APNG may soon be viable. While for greatly reduced file size embedded video is going to beat both, leaving GIF in an odd place.
Embedded video is a different league altogether. APNG? Well, nice! Hope it
takes off this time. One more format for the new recorder. Why not. I can't
see any issues here considering APNG, because what I wrote about gif above
can be applied to APNG as well, for, 24-bit is nice, but file size will
increase. So there might be the need to cut down on the bit depth perhaps down
to index mode (palettes) to reduce file size considerably. And since my work
is mostly quantizer based it can be applied to APNG as well. And even for APNG,
it's good to have some control of the quantizer to better adapt the visual
quality with respect to file size and stuff.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Hey everyone, I figured I'd share my game progress this week. First off is a potion auto-restock feature. It's pretty simple, you designate the amount of each potion type you'd like to have before embarking on a new quest and you auto buy as many as required when you visit the merchant before heading out(assuming you have the requisite gold). Secondly I got a loading screen setup. I've never really worked with asynchronous level loading in unity before and loading screens are vastly preferable to the game being seemingly frozen, so I figured I'd throw one together. The background image of the loading screen is a placeholder, but you get the idea. Here's a GIF of the new features:

itspDvI.gif

I also went ahead and animated the UI menus sliding on and off the screen. I had been doing it through script but that led to rather strange scaling issues. Luckily, using the animation system has everything working as intended and movement is nice and smooth as opposed to instantly teleporting back and forth. Of course this isn't visible in the GIF but I figured everyone is tired of my UI GIFs by now anyway so I'd better scale it back a bit ;p
Hopefully soon I'll be working on something more fun to showcase again.

So, I moved to the modeling of a npc, to later test stuff like ai and pathfinding (while having something nicer to look like than a box). Since I am no professional modeler I decided to do something in the spirit of the early 3d games, consistently with the other assets that I've created for the game. So what I did was using Virtua Fighter I Akira as a reference.

This is the model I made.

The top of the head has been left out actually because I'm still undecided on the hairstyle.

This was the reference.

Now I'm moving on to texturing.

missile

Just a short one for todays screenshot saturday

HeavenlyCandidChanticleer.gif

Bleach, extra strong, might be needed
I can literally feel the atmosphere. :D

But I'm somehow not a fan of those screen blur effects you put here and there.
It takes me out a bit. It's like; I'm scared ... uhh ... even more scared ...
fake blur! ... ehm ... okey? But perhaps that's just me.

I also posted a gif for #screenshotsaturday of my point & click adventure.

AcrobaticLargeAmbushbug-size_restricted.gif
Interesting. I like the reflection on the alarm clock. Nice detail.

Btw; the name of the gif is; AcrobaticLargeAmbushbug-size_restricted.gif. lol

Punch your enemies light outs with a one two three combo, By the way you can do the uppercut by pressing up and punching yourself.

puching_gif_by_jump_button-dbp0hfr.gif
Really cute! It's all you have atm?

Hey everyone, I figured I'd share my game progress this week. First off is a potion auto-restock feature. It's pretty simple, you designate the amount of each potion type you'd like to have before embarking on a new quest and you auto buy as many as required when you visit the merchant before heading out(assuming you have the requisite gold). Secondly I got a loading screen setup. I've never really worked with asynchronous level loading in unity before and loading screens are vastly preferable to the game being seemingly frozen, so I figured I'd throw one together. The background image of the loading screen is a placeholder, but you get the idea. Here's a GIF of the new features:

itspDvI.gif

I also went ahead and animated the UI menus sliding on and off the screen. I had been doing it through script but that led to rather strange scaling issues. Luckily, using the animation system has everything working as intended and movement is nice and smooth as opposed to instantly teleporting back and forth. Of course this isn't visible in the GIF but I figured everyone is tired of my UI GIFs by now anyway so I'd better scale it back a bit ;p
Hopefully soon I'll be working on something more fun to showcase again.
Nice progress. Yeah, would like to see more encounters. About the UI. Sliding
sux somehow. Why not fold, dissolve, melt etc. the dialog with the background
somehow. Would be more pleasing, I guess.

This is one of the few threads on GAF where we care as much about the people making the product as the end product itself though ;)
Sure we do! :)

I would pay a few dollars for a good gif converter I know is stable and works, plus supporting a fellow gaffer :)

Yeah nice! And the cool thing is that there is a good change getting any bugs
fixed or fixed at all. At least we would have someone to blame! ;) Getting
feedback from indie devs is perhaps also much more helpful.

Bingo, as long as you're not going to get in any legal trouble I'm all for it missile!

If there would ever be any patent issue I would simply take it out whatever,
no problem. But I think this will never be the case unless I really want to
copy a given patented methods from, say, Photoshop, but in that case I would
ask for any permission first.

Top Bottom