• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2016 [August] Lets play some Indies!

Superverse feels like it's been in development forever, but it sure does look gorgeous
warIceverse.png

wouwie

I'm looking forward to Inside (PS4) and Hue (puzzle platform game by Curve Digital). Also, Alone with You looks kind of interesting in a weird way so i'm curious how that game will turn out.

Visual Out - Free demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
CpxEnTUVYAAisvZ.jpg

http://madameberry.com/games#visualout

Visual Out is a Metroid-like platformer set in the depths of an obsolete, dying computer
As an escaped program, traverse different sectors of the computer to learn the reason for the demise of your creators, gaining program-altering abilities like the Current and Jammer along the way.

Moons of Madness - ????
Cpuy6ZCXEAA-DJ2.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/moonsofmadness

Moons of Madness throws the player into a unique, first person, psychological horror game, combining Lovecraft influence with hard sci-fi.

Hellion - Late 2016 (PC)
CpxoOzIWEAAM0-e.jpg

http://www.playhellion.com/

A first person multiplayer space survival game.
It is a fusion of survival and space simulation genres that pits players against the deadly environment and one another. Survive the hard vacuum, extreme temperatures, deadly radiation and scavenge for basic resources like air, water, food and other items necessary for survival.

Anathema - PC
CpyI2auWcAAETGw.jpg

http://www.anathemagame.com/

Players will whip through hordes of enemies, and utilize seven different subweapons such as the dagger, sickle, murder of crows and more. Some items have special attacks that can devastate enemies and quickly even the playing field.

Venineth - ???
CpuoGVRWcAANHQG.jpg

http://venineth.blogspot.com/

Venineth is a single-player game focusing on unraveling the mysteries of ancient alien technology somewhere in the universe via exploration, platforming, and puzzle-solving, in a dangerous, distant worlds.

No Place For Bravery - ????
tumblr_obcgmy0LgS1vrxy95o1_1280.png

http://noplaceforbravery.tumblr.com...nouncing-our-new-game-no-place-for-bravery-an

An atmospheric time manipulation roguelite inspired by Hyper Light Drifter, FTL and Super Time Force!
Bravery is set in an eerie high fantasy world in which you play as a group of adventurers on a quest to slay the godlike entities that are “wiping out” mankind.

Solitude - ????
CpwBlrpWcAEpMUf.jpg

https://twitter.com/recluse_games

Solitude is an ambient puzzle adventure game in development for VR.

Akuto: Mad World - PC, Mac, Linux
akuto-picture-4.png

http://hut90.com/press/akuto-mad-world/

Akuto: Mad World is a fast-paced action game with swords and guns. Death is common, bullets are rare, and there can only be one survivor.

Talespire - ????
Cpxm6MsWgAAF8e6.jpg

http://bouncyrock.com/

A tale-weaving, minion-thudding, trench-digging, tile-stacking, Digital Board Game

Endstate - PC
8TQqeNe.jpg

http://www.endstategame.com/

In End State, you are a running your own ragtag mercenary team, operating in the Eastern Europe, where warring militia groups, private security forces, and criminal organizations are all driving their own agendas among the chaos. Your task is to gather intel on a terrorist network operating within the region and track down their leaders. You will search for leads, find your targets, gear-up your team and coordinate tactical missions in the field.

Airheart - PC
CpL1xj7WAAAA_kD.png

http://airheartgame.com/

A roguelite with airplanes
AIRHEART is a dieselpunk action game about a young woman, who flies her airplane and catches skyfish among beautiful sky islands. Amelias biggest dream is to reach the stratosphere and to bring down the legendary Skywhale, which promises riches and fame for a lifetime.

SYNTHETIK - PC, Mac
CpJzYbxXEAAyKeP.jpg

https://twitter.com/FlowFireGames

SYNTHETIK is a unforgiving shooter with classic RPG and Rogue elements in a world dominated by machines. Fight as android though the headquarters of the machine persecutors, liberate humanity and avert the impending end. Can you reach the highest floor of the first Citadel and find the Heart of Armageddon?

Previously Mentioned

Dogos

Hue

Dujanah

Political Animals

Objects In Space

Exoplanet

Abatron

Nabs

So I decided to revisit Treasure Adventure Game after many years. I was thinking of recommending it to a few people, but then I remembered that some people complained of performance issues. I realized a couple of things:

1) The GOG version is outdated. Grab the game from the developers site. The Fileplanet link worked out fine.
2) You can change the controls using setup.exe, but do not enable controller support. It drops my frames by almost 30fps and makes the game feel sluggish. Instead, use whatever key to controller program you prefer (like joytokey, steam controller, ds4 mapping program, etc).

This game is so good. If you enjoy metroid-like games, with a weird and interesting world, this game is a must play. It's one of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing, and it's free. The soundtrack is also killer.

I'm posting this so I can grab this if I ever recommend the game in the future. I felt bad when Toma had trouble running the game a few years back, so it's good to have some answers that may help some people.

So, who among you guys have played the recently released extension to Kindom, New Lands?
I have mixed feelings about it. While I like the extra content, I find some of the new mechanics boring:
moving the boat is way too slow, restarting from the first island in case of a gameover is tedious...

Nabs

I keep reading about this. I've even installed it but never got beyond the intro.

I think I'll give it a go now, thanks.

Cool. I hope it performs well enough for you. The game is a real gem.

I remember quite enjoying that one back in the day. Hope the remake is coming along well for the developer.

Me too. It's been in development for a while now, I hope it ends up being worth it.

Reigns - $2.99 (iOS, Android, Steam)
5.gif

http://nerial.co.uk/reigns/

Sit on the throne as a benevolent (or malevolent) medieval monarch of the modern age and swipe your royal controller either left or right to impose your will upon the kingdom. Survive the seemingly never-ending gauntlet of requests from your advisors, peasants, allies, and enemies while maintaining balance between the influential factions of your kingdom. But beware; each decision you make might have implications and unfortunate consequences down the road that could put your reign and family’s dynasty at risk!

Typoman: Revised - $14.99 (PC, Mac)
08.png

http://www.typoman.net/

Typoman is a 2D puzzle platformer. You slip into the role of a character made of letters, struggling to make your way through a dark and hostile world. Despite your small stature you have a powerful gift: You can craft words to alter your environment.
But choose your words wisely - they can either be a blessing ...or a curse!

Fabric - $9.99 (PC)
06.jpg

http://torrenglabs.com/fabric/

Fabric is a first person puzzle game in which you bend spacetime to solve challenging puzzles and complete glitchy-themed voxel-based levels.
Your goal is, basically, to reach the end of the level. To achieve this goal, you won’t need to collect numerous of items, won’t craft anything absurd or won’t try to persuade a chatty AI: In Fabric, you will change the shape of voxel-based levels and physics with your gun. This gun allows you to bend space, squeeze the world, separate tiles from each others and bring them together.

Valahart

Anyone hear of Monsters and Monocles ? It looks like and plays like another Gungeon/NT. Also has 4 player online coop which is nice rarity with this genre. It's out tommorow on EA but i havent heard of it before.

Never heard about it but this looks amazing.

Definitely wishlisting and waiting for some impressions. I'm a sucker for this type of game though. Enter the Gungeon and Nuclear Throne are by far my most played games on Steam.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Whoa, Seasons After Fall is out September 2nd. I honestly don't know too much about it other than it's a painterly puzzle-platformer with a season changy gimmick, from the creators of Blocks That Matter and the absolutely stellar Tetrobot. $15 on Steam, other platforms = "We're currently focusing on PC", so far.
k0Yr6wI.gif

Glad to hear those devs are still pottering along. After the stories of Tetrobot not doing so hot I was worried they had left the industry. Definitely keeping an eye out for their new seasons game.

BTA

I should probably start the second chapter then!

I tend to get paralyzed by indecision in Inkle's games. You'd think the ability to easily rewind your decisions in Sorcery would help, but...

I should probably do the same. I played chapter 1 (and I think 2? or part of it?) way back when but it's been a while, so... a replay and then getting through the rest is in order.

Picked up Handsome Mr Frog, such a fun little arcade romp. Kinda like Super Crate Box meets Bubble Bobble. It's like we unearthed a lost Taito arcade rom.

Pc5vg1.gif

WCiWRH.gif

E0DN2I.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCyrS_E4Y14

Thanks for sharing ChryZ, this looks great. And the price is right. Planning to pick this up.
Picked up Handsome Mr. Frog last night (and OST). Great fun, certainly worth the $1 (and change, with OST ...)

Anyone hear of Monsters and Monocles ? It looks like and plays like another Gungeon/NT. Also has 4 player online coop which is nice rarity with this genre. It's out tommorow on EA but i havent heard of it before.

dev mentioned its $15 ($13.5 as launch sale price)
Has anyone tried this yet? As a big NT/Gungeon fan, very tempted to grab this too if it scratches that same dungeon crawl itch.

gappvembe

Whoa, Seasons After Fall is out September 2nd. I honestly don't know too much about it other than it's a painterly puzzle-platformer with a season changy gimmick, from the creators of Blocks That Matter and the absolutely stellar Tetrobot. $15 on Steam, other platforms = "We're currently focusing on PC", so far.
k0Yr6wI.gif
Weird, another Fox led season switching game was recently Kickstarted. Mind you vastly different, but still a weird coincidence.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/foxnforests/fox-n-forests/description

YYC8TlE.gif

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone tried this yet? As a big NT/Gungeon fan, very tempted to grab this too if it scratches that same dungeon crawl itch.

Super tempted to - but I can't decide what to buy for the moment:

OHKLOS
Death Road to Canada
Human: Fall Flat
Monsters & Monocles

suggestions?

swarley64

Super tempted to - but I can't decide what to buy for the moment:

OHKLOS
Death Road to Canada
Human: Fall Flat
Monsters & Monocles

suggestions?

I've gotten pretty addicted to Death Road to Canada, my Steam clock says I have 21 hours in it. Any questions in particular?

rje

I'm one of the two guys making Monsters & Monocles - I am so happy to finally have it out in early access after 2.5 years of work. To celebrate here are some keys (quote to see)! Please let folks know if you grab one.

Thanks to everyone who has said hi at shows and encouraged me on the way, y'all are the best. If you're at PAX West I'll be in the megabooth again, see you there. :)

ifyRO3m.gif

Jay7N4i.gif

EDIT: I wanted to mention -- if you're a keyboard and mouse player and you grab a key, I pushed an update today with a much better camera option. You can enable it in settings->controls.

Nabs

I'm one of the two guys making Monsters & Monocles - I am so happy to finally have it out in early access after 2.5 years of work. To celebrate here are some keys (quote to see)! Please let folks know if you grab one.

Thanks to everyone who has said hi at shows and encouraged me on the way, y'all are the best. If you're at PAX West I'll be in the megabooth again, see you there. :)

Thank you. I took 9.

The game looks really good.

EDIT: I wanted to mention -- if you're a keyboard and mouse player and you grab a key, I pushed an update today with a much better camera option. You can enable it in settings->controls.

Gonna give this a try with the Steam Controller.

oipic

Thanks, rje! I redeemed no. 7 - thanks very much, I look forward to checking it out! Congrats on the release, and all the best - I hope it does very well for you. Cheers. :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thank you so much, I loved ETG and this looks very similar (err no offense, I mean that in the best way possible lol), friend tells me its leaving early access soon too which pleases me because I like to play my games finished.

took the 10th key, thank you very much

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

ifyRO3m.gif

Jay7N4i.gif

Oh wow, thank you. I took the 8th key. I'm excited for this!

rje

Gonna give this a try with the Steam Controller.

So I know some folks have been playing with the steam controller - at some point I want to do proper support for it but just know I haven't had a chance to really look at it yet.

Feel free to experiment, just wanted to let you know where stuff is at

sqwarlock

Grabbed code number 2. Can't wait to give it a shot.

swarley64

And you're not bored yet? the runs aren't getting too similar?
I guess not? Its not something I put a lot of effort into or get intense about, its something that relaxes me after work. Even when I die to some bullshit I have a big grin on my face, I just really like the music and the game's sense of humor.

ifyRO3m.gif

Jay7N4i.gif

Grabbed #3! Thank you.

Nabs

So I know some folks have been playing with the steam controller - at some point I want to do proper support for it but just know I haven't had a chance to really look at it yet.

Feel free to experiment, just wanted to let you know where stuff is at

That's cool. KB/M feels good, so I'm sure it'll translate over fine.

edit: yeah, this feels good. I'm having fun with M&M. Thanks again.

Anarcute and Okhlos about a month from eachother. What are the odds?

Definitely excited to check out Okhlos tonight; I love Greek mythology so it'll be even more fun to have all those heroes and figures in my mob

Okhlos - $12.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
LotsOfPeople.gif

http://coffeepoweredmachine.com/okhlos/

Your beloved people will not longer stand for the abuse from their deities and take up arms against them and taking down anything and everything in their path. Topple the beastly minotaur, bring down sacred temples, and confront the almighty Olympians themselves while recruiting and balancing your unruly mob with warriors, peasants, slaves and even livestock in their quest for freedom from Mount Olympus! It’s total anarchy in the birthplace of democracy!

ifyRO3m.gif

Jay7N4i.gif

Crud, too late! Good luck with game. Hoping to pick it up this weekend. Will try both m/kb and wired 360 controller.

epmode

Re: Monsters & Monocles

I'd very much appreciate a way to hide the mouse cursor if no one is actually playing with a mouse. It doesn't seem to go away on its own.

Also, it should be possible to back out of any settings screen with the B button (on an Xbox controller). Maybe even the Start button.

Otherwise, it sure seems polished. Early impressions are good!

edit: Is this currently balanced for a single player? The earliest encounters in the mansion makes me think it might not be.

I don't in here much, but I just wanted to say that I love this thread, and that it has honestly led to hundreds of hours of joy for my wife and I. I sincerely thank all of you who take time from your lives to help us discover new games to play. :)

StereoVsn

k0Yr6wI.gif
Ooh, this looks great. Going to take a note. Nothing else much interested me this month PC wise otherwise.

The other fox game sounds shady. Looks like they ripped off the main concept but the gameplay/art looks much worse.

Top Bottom