• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [March] Now Voting - Post 774!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Random aside: I now got enough games gifted to have contests for 4 more months, lol. Thanks rybrad & n8bitman!

Hofmann

Random aside: I now got enough games gifted to have contests for 4 more months, lol. Thanks rybrad & n8bitman!

Oh, I missed the contest info. If you would like to have more variety, send me a PM with the list of games you already have and I try to add something to the pile.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh, I missed the contest info. If you would like to have more variety, send me a PM with the list of games you already have and I try to add something to the pile.

Just so others know:

Its no secret that I am trying to get this whole thread thing into a community, and not just an accumulation of links (another reason why I am not too hot on making this a blog). And some of the things of the current thread layout worked, and others didnt. And I'll change things up for as long as people are interested in these threads until I finally found the right type and amount of content for everyone to be satisified with these threads.

Anyway, one idea was to add either a) game contests throughout the thread to offer a general "event" which bonds and lets us share progress for a certain game and/or b) progress rewards ala "Everyone posting at least 4 impressions about 4 different Indie games gets entered in the sweepstake for one of these games..." etcpp.

Basic idea anyway. I'll shoot you the list of games I have atm.

Toma

And another shoutout for the current IndieRoyale bundle:

http://www.indieroyale.com/
Waveform, Avadon, Zafehouse: Diaries, Derrick the Deathfin, Tidalis and War of the Human Tanks.

War of the Human Tanks alone usually costs €9,99 and is considered one of the most notable Indie strategy releases last year.

And Avadon is a fun RPG as well. Will check out Zafehouse later.

You might want to look into these, before biting your ass that you missed it later.

Hofmann

Just so others know:

Its no secret that I am trying to get this whole thread thing into a community, and not just an accumulation of links (another reason why I am not too hot on making this a blog). And some of the things of the current thread layout worked, and others didnt. And I'll change things up for as long as people are interested in these threads until I finally found the right type and amount of content for everyone to be satisified with these threads.

Anyway, one idea was to add either a) game contests throughout the thread to offer a general "event" which bonds and lets us share progress for a certain game and/or b) progress rewards ala "Everyone posting at least 4 impressions about 4 different Indie games gets entered in the sweepstake for one of these games..." etcpp.

Basic idea anyway. I'll shoot you the list of games I have atm.

These are both good ideas, that would help bring more people here and create tighter community.

Thanks for the list. Tomorrow I'll check what's currently on sale and I pick up something that's not on it.

Toma

Hm, I hope you guys will still like the next thread game wise. The games I am adding atm, is largely stuff that was named in this thread already in the past 1 week or so. I think the games in the OP got more exposure, but if everyone already knows/tried the games for next month, that thread is going to crash :p

Ah well, no other way than to try I guess.

Raxum

Hm, I hope you guys will still like the next thread game wise. The games I am adding atm, is largely stuff that was named in this thread already in the past 1 week or so. I think the games in the OP got more exposure, but if everyone already knows/tried the games for next month, that thread is going to crash :p

I know I'll still enjoy it, I use this as a bit of a reference for games to play or games that I should be playing to give impressions for the community on here.

Speaking of which, my Darkout impression is on the way, however I seem to have a problem with the game crashing every hour or so, so it becomes difficult to progress at times.

Also, I've been playing the beta for Legends of Aethereus(LINK) which quite a polished-looking game for an Indie beta. The combat can be a little odd at times as they don't really have any kind of combo system, but I'd still say it was worth playing.

Pic (quoted for size):
LoA-15.jpg

Raxum

So, here's my impressions of Darkout, a 2D side-scrolling builder, with a Pitch Black twist.

I'll start off with the bad, because despite the bad, I rather liked the game, and can see a lot of potential for it to move forward and get better.
1. I had a lot of problems with the game crashing, I couldn't alt-tab or it would crash, and occasionally it would just crash because it felt like it. Not sure if that was because of my PC or the game itself, but it got rather frustrating and I soon learned to save any time I made some major changes or researched anything.
2. I hit a major bug with the game where my research and construction wasn't counting to upgrade my technology tier. I've read on their forums that this is to be fixed in an upcoming release, along with changing the research system.
3. Enemies in the game are quite difficult early on, and being stuck in tier 1 technology was not helping. However, if you make a slight mistake, you can have 2 enemies spawn camping you in your base, not fun. Spreading light definitely helped this situation though.

Now for the good:
Technology advancement and research in this type of game feels like a step in the right direction. Knowing how to build something instantly because you have the materials does not fit well. Building in the game is almost exactly the same as Terraria, this helped me enjoy the game quite a bit. The requirement to build early on to stave off enemies led me to make some poor design choices for my house, which I later had to tear down and rebuild, but that's all part of building right? Digging, crafting, placing objects and building in general all grant you research points, making it quite easy to advance early on, it's a shame I hit the bug I did, though I may start another character after the research system is changed and see how that goes.

The lighting system in the game is quite incredible, enemies only seem to be able to spawn in darkness, and require you to damage them with light to take down a shield they have. This makes torches become a weapon, but only for the shield, once the shield is gone, you need to use a sword to protect yourself. However, most of the aim of the game is to spread Light across the planet to stop/slow the monsters. There are plants which grow that emit light, or you can go the way of placing torches often enough to keep things illuminated. I would really like to see this concept expanded slightly, allowing lights you have placed to damage the creatures or turn them away, which would allow for the creation of early traps, as I'm not sure about the addition of traps later on.

All in all I rather enjoyed actually playing the game, it was a nice change of pace from similar titles like Terraria. I look forward to picking this up again in the future. My personal recommendation for people, if this game interests you, wait until after the upcoming update of the research system before you pick it up, and then build light, LOTS OF LIGHT.

Raxum

What is the combat in Legends of Aethereus like?

Combat is pretty decent, once you learn it, can be quite unforgiving though. There is a dodge in it but so far it's very easy to get 'stunned'. Somewhat reminds me of Dark Souls except a little less polished and lacking flow.

CzarTim

Combat is pretty decent, once you learn it, can be quite unforgiving though. There is a dodge in it but so far it's very easy to get 'stunned'. Somewhat reminds me of Dark Souls except a little less polished and lacking flow.

Yeah, it was giving me Dark Souls vibes from the videos. I'll keep an eye on it.

You know what, I'm going to save any indie gems I see for April. I already have one that's somewhat old, but I think it's not been mentioned yet (at least I googled it within NeoGAF in conjuntion with "Toma" and didn't get any hits).

Toma

I know I'll still enjoy it, I use this as a bit of a reference for games to play or games that I should be playing to give impressions for the community on here.

Speaking of which, my Darkout impression is on the way, however I seem to have a problem with the game crashing every hour or so, so it becomes difficult to progress at times.

Also, I've been playing the beta for Legends of Aethereus(LINK) which quite a polished-looking game for an Indie beta. The combat can be a little odd at times as they don't really have any kind of combo system, but I'd still say it was worth playing.

Pic (quoted for size):

That Aethereus game looks quite interesting. Will need to watch some videos later.

You know what, I'm going to save any indie gems I see for April. I already have one that's somewhat old, but I think it's not been mentioned yet (at least I googled it within NeoGAF in conjuntion with "Toma" and didn't get any hits).

:-o No results in conjunction with ME? No way!

:-o No results in conjunction with ME? No way!

Surprising, I know. I even double checked. There's a big chance that you already know about it and even posted about it, and the search failed for some reason. I'm guessing you must be curious, so I'll just PM you about it. :D

Toma

We should get a steam group going. Maybe a Greenlight collection page?

If someone updates it on his own, I wouldnt mind. I already have quite a bit stuff on my hand with just the organization of this thread however. Whoever does it, has my blessing :) Someone set up a Steam group for a different thread of mine where we announced thread proceedings (new contests, winners), but in this case a Steam group with the greenlight pages would be rather useful.

Toma

Already 6 games for the released section and 7 for upcoming of the next thread and lots to go (The march thread started out with 4 & 0). This thread will be way bigger on day one. If these threads continue to grow at these rates, I might never add something during a thread and just keep it for the next. But we'll see how that develops.

Toma

On a different note, I totally forgot to start up Vesper.5 in the past few days. Glad it doesnt reset if you miss a day.

On a different note, I totally forgot to start up Vesper.5 in the past few days. Glad it doesnt reset if you miss a day.

I've been trying to keep up with that. Can't remember how many steps I've taken, but this mornings one was the first that caused the screen to scroll slightly. The unbridled excitement it caused was nearly unbearable.

Toma

I've been trying to keep up with that. Can't remember how many steps I've taken, but this mornings one was the first that caused the screen to scroll slightly. The unbridled excitement it caused was nearly unbearable.

Dont spoil what happened! lol Stupid that I forgot about it.
Someone should post a reminder once a day here in the thread :p

... and I am actually serious about that.

Toma

Well, next time I make my step and I post here, if I notice no one else has mentioned anything then I will throw out a reminder.

Thanks. Considering I read every post in these threads, I should be finally able to pull through.

I would join the aforementioned steam community, but lack the time to put it together currently. If it hasn't been done when I do have some time, I'll set it up.

If it does get set up, invite platypotamus (friend invites also accepted, except from jerks)

Toma

I would join the aforementioned steam community, but lack the time to put it together currently. If it hasn't been done when I do have some time, I'll set it up.

If it does get set up, invite platypotamus (friend invites also accepted, except from jerks)

<- jerk?

If not, consider the invite sent ;p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
How would we like the steam group to be handled, for announcements and indexing of games coming out or...? Also, what would we call it and what would we do for our group avatar.

Toma

How would we like the steam group to be handled, for announcements and indexing of games coming out or...? Also, what would we call it and what would we do for our group avatar.

I dont think we actually need to announce a lot. Every information is in the current months thread, and people will probably all know in april that there are monthly threads. However a list with all the games up for Greenlight for easy coting would be really handy.

I am definitely open for other suggestions what to use the group for however.

Toma

Everyones wallet and freetime prepared for the next thread? Just finished going through what I missed from the march thread. 20 Games in the released, 18 in the upcoming section for the april thread so far. Btw, I will probably post the april thread on sunday, so people still have a day free to check out a game or two before work :)

Everyones wallet and freetime prepared for the next thread? Just finished going through what I missed from the march thread. 20 Games in the released, 18 in the upcoming section for the april thread so far. Btw, I will probably post the april thread on sunday, so people still have a day free to check out a game or two before work :)

My wallet is never ready, but I can't wait for the next thread!

Funds and time are looking good on my end. I got a bank holiday this Monday so I got mad freetimes for indie game playing.

gabbo

My wallet does not fear this thread, most of the games I'm interested in aren't released yet. I have a feeling april will be similar in that fashion.

Wok

My wallet does not fear this thread, most of the games I'm interested in aren't released yet. I have a feeling april will be similar in that fashion.

April won't be similar to March.

Edit: I am not sure I was understood. I meant several good indie games are getting released this April. My wallet does fear April.

• La-Mulana (April 15)
  • Papo & Yo (April 18)
  • Monaco (April)
  • Contrast (April?)
  • FEZ (May 1)
  • The Swapper (this Spring)

Toma

April won't be similar to March.

Edit: I am not sure I was understood. I meant several good indie games are getting released this April. My wallet does fear April.

• La-Mulana (April 15)
  • Papo & Yo (April 18)
  • Monaco (April)
  • Contrast (April?)
  • FEZ (May 1)
  • The Swapper (this Spring)

Already purchased Monaco, one less to buy for me!

Toma

• Back to Bed
  • Césure
  • Jelly no Puzzle
  • Kyoto
  • Papers, please!

Didn't know Papo & Yo was coming to Steam. From what I've gathered, it seems like a game with the heart in the right place but let down by traditional game mechanics.

Which reminds me, voting and changes to your votes is still allowed for the next.. 48 hours from now on.. I'll post the new thread/vote tally in the night of the 30th to the 31st.

Hofmann

Didn't know Papo & Yo was coming to Steam. From what I've gathered, it seems like a game with the heart in the right place but let down by traditional game mechanics.

I worry that it's not the only case:

I'm sure it works for some people, but I found the story to be numbingly blunt and unsubtle. The last third of the game is akin to someone taking a live jackhammer with THE MEANING painted on the side of it and applying it to your forehead.

Hope he's exaggerating a little, but the only way to know, is to check it out by yourself.

Toma

How was the pre-order prototype thingy? I thought it was fun at PAX but the dev doesn't have that many nice things to say about it.

I am very glad they reworked the graphics, but other than that it seemed fun enough. I also heard they improved on anything in the game, so I am not surprised he doesnt like the old prototype anymore but it has its charme and was definitely worth a look.

dc89

Just want to say that Papers, Please is a terrific little game. The theme musics been in my head all day. So glad I found it thanks to Giantbomb Cast!

When it comes out of beta, I'm more than happy to pay for it. Take my money :)

Toma

Just want to say that Papers, Please is a terrific little game. The theme musics been in my head all day. So glad I found it thanks to Giantbomb Cast!

When it comes out of beta, I'm more than happy to pay for it. Take my money :)

There are more terrific, little games where that came from :p The OP contains quite a few more gems that are generally overlooked. We are currently voting on those, so you might also wait until the april thread if you just want to take a look at the highest recommended ones.

Wow, seeing Monaco again brings back memories. I remember being mad keen on that game about a year ago and just forgetting about it. Good to see it is coming out, I'll be putting it on my wishlist for sure.

Also, just moved in VESPER.5, this is your daily reminder for anyone else on the pilgrimage.

Toma

Wow, seeing Monaco again brings back memories. I remember being mad keen on that game about a year ago and just forgetting about it. Good to see it is coming out, I'll be putting it on my wishlist for sure.

Also, just moved in VESPER.5, this is your daily reminder for anyone else on the pilgrimage.

I swear, having you reminding us about the daily move was one of my best ideas in this thread, haha. I would have already forgotten about it again.

Corto

My ballot:

The Sea will Claim Everything
Kentucky Route Zero
Papers, please!
Factorio
Starseed Pilgrim

I'm sure there are 3 times this games on that list that deserve the mention as much as these 5, but I had to flee from this thread for a few days as I started to descend (ascend??? hehehe) into an spiral of playing everything that you Toma and the rest of the guys mentioned here and that became rather time/money consuming for me. ;)

Toma

My ballot:

The Sea will Claim Everything
Kentucky Route Zero
Papers, please!
Factorio
Starseed Pilgrim

I'm sure there are 3 times this games on that list that deserve the mention as much as these 5, but I had to flee from this thread for a few days as I started to descend (ascend??? hehehe) into an spiral of playing everything that you Toma and the rest of the guys mentioned here and that became rather time/money consuming for me. ;)

I regret nothing! Spent quite a bit of time, but I ended up playing more interesting games in 1 month than in the previous 6 months combined.

Also, your list gets 4/5 Tomas from me, although I cant blame you much since KRZ is a good stand in ;)

Toma

I thought about buying a certain game the whole month to try it, and JUST forgot its name. God damnit. Thats the reason why I throw everything in here!

Top Bottom