• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous Second Son 1.05 patch now available.

Robot Pants

Ok now THIS looks incredible. Definite difference over the regular version. Sometimes they look like completely different times of day when you switch between HDR and non. A ton more detail.

The last of us looks like crap compared to this. I'm excited to see my tv actually can make a difference with HDR.

Pics:
HDR OFF
IW15j7o.jpg

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

You can even see at night, the color information is completely different. Red becomes a yellow with red glow.

And when Delsin uses his neon powers at night? Ooooo buddy

bennibop

Ok now THIS looks incredible. Definite difference over the regular version. Sometimes they look like completely different times of day when you switch between HDR and non. A ton more detail.

The last of us looks like crap compared to this. I'm excited to see my tv actually can make a difference with HDR

Going home at lunch now!! Cant wait to see.

BraXzy

Someone needs to test night scenes [with neon power] ASAP! :D

HDR support or also a higher res?

I went to a PlayStation event recently and they were demo'ing a PS4 Pro with both First Light and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I was told that the PS4 Pro will not be adding 4K native to the Infamous games, but will ensure a solid 60fps.

As for HDR, it looks absolutely incredible at night. Neon signs in the distance go from dull distant colours into vibrant neon. The power effects are much brighter and detailed. Street lights etc all pop more.

Black Hat

I was told that the PS4 Pro will not be adding 4K native to the Infamous games, but will ensure a solid 60fps.

Checkerboard rendering then I assume?

Interesting about 60fps as well as these games were originally something like 40-50fps unlocked with tearing and then that patch came out that allowed 30fps lock.

60fps would be nice!

III-V

Hell yea, this is going to look amazing w/HDR thanks OP

As for HDR, it looks absolutely incredible at night. Neon signs in the distance go from dull distant colours into vibrant neon. The power effects are much brighter and detailed. Street lights etc all pop more.

Thats what I am talking about

Cornbread78

The last of us looks like crap compared to this. I'm excited to see my tv actually can make a difference with HDR.

Oh man, that dynamic color makes a big difference in those screens

I went to a PlayStation event recently and they were demo'ing a PS4 Pro with both First Light and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

No not native...
But i read somewhere on GAF that First Night would get a resolution bump. And that doesn't have to be native 4K ofcourse.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Quick question (without ending up in the nightmare nether realm that is current TV feature set/tech nomenclature/terminology...).

Would your TV hypothetically be able to play/display HDR content even if it wasn't HDR compatible? Or will the game/bluray/clip not play at all or display incorrectly (artifacts, glitches etc)?

In other words; If I'm unsure whether or not my 2015 Samsung SUHD 4K TV (that supposedly received an HDR firmware update) supports HDR (just supports now guys, let's not open up the conversation for HDR10, HDR+, 4:4:4, 4:2:0, REC 2020, DCI P3...wait where am I?) will I be able to ascertain this simply by enabling whatever 'HDR' features my TV and console have and checking if anything is displayed or not?

Because so far I've only tested some Samsung 'HDR 4K demo' reels via USB and the files specifically state "only playable on TVs that support HDR" and they seem to play correctly, yet I'm still unsure whether or not I can play HDR content.

Virtual kiss to whoever sets me straight...

Black Hat

Isn't viewing screenshots of HDR stuff on SDR displays a bit pointless?

Can see differences between them but most likely not what you're seeing

CyberChulo

Quick question (without ending up in the nightmare nether realm that is current TV feature set/tech nomenclature/terminology...).

Would your TV hypothetically be able to play/display HDR content even if it wasn't HDR compatible? Or will the game/bluray/clip not play at all or display incorrectly (artifacts, glitches etc)?

In other words; If I'm unsure whether or not my 2015 Samsung SUHD 4K TV (that supposedly received an HDR firmware update) supports HDR (just supports now guys, let's not open up the conversation for HDR10, HDR+, 4:4:4, 4:2:0, REC 2020, DCI P3...wait where am I?) will I be able to ascertain this simply by enabling whatever 'HDR' features my TV and console have and checking if anything is displayed or not?

Because so far I've only tested some Samsung 'HDR 4K demo' reels via USB and the files specifically state "only playable on TVs that support HDR" and they seem to play correctly, yet I'm still unsure whether or not I can play HDR content.

Virtual kiss to whoever sets me straight...

If you have any of the HDR enabled games, I would assume that you either get a prompt after loading the game saying that it can output in HDR like the Last of Us, or it just activates it right away as in the case of Second Son. That's how it behaves on my Sony 940C.

Yeah, reminds me of an old sketch show where some old couple were watching an ad for the brand new colour TV on their old black and white set. "Looks just the same to me" they grumbled :)

bennibop

You will not see the full effect however its clear in the above images that there is a positive difference

Catdaddy

shame that non-pro users have to download the same patch.

I understand you don’t need to have Pro for HDR, but since I have no plans to upgrade my TV anytime soon, these game patches are just clogging up my HDD. I wish Sony would give the option instead of everyone gets the patch. Wishful thinking I’m sure…

CyberChulo

Pics:
HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

You can even see at night, the color information is completely different. Red becomes a yellow with red glow.

Nice! You got a Sony TV too! Is that the 850B? I was going to get that, but when I was playing with the remote at BB it started controlling all the Sony TV's at once in the Magnolia section and the 940C just put everything there to shame. Had to pick it up.

Edit: I haven't had to change any settings other than motionflow back to Smooth 2. How's HDR been for you?

eFKac

Ohh yeah, First Light with HDR is a big difference at first glance unlike TLOU, it looks fantastic on my x8508c, love it that I don't have to tamper with anything, game just discovered my TV is HDR and that's it, Sony done well.

Robot Pants

Nice! You got a Sony TV too! Is that the 850B? I was going to get that, but when I was playing with the remote at BB it started controlling all the Sony TV's at once in the Magnolia section and the 940C just put everything there to shame. Had to pick it up.

Edit: I haven't had to change any settings other than motionflow back to Smooth 2. How's HDR been for you?
I have the 850c which barely does HDR just like yours (you got the patch right?) Your tv is better than mine so it's gonna look great, mine looks great too, but people with real HDR tvs are gonna love it. I was worried this patched in HDR wasn't gonna be any good, but between this, Gears, and how amazing UHD blu rays have looked, I'm hyped. GIMMIE that PRO.

BigEmil

It has a unlocked fps option right, Pro should be able to push that to 60, first light has slightly better fps unlocked

BigEmil

I still don't get it, OG PS4 1.4 HDMI should be not able to output full HDR yet it does? I read people say it has space for it but I looked up in google it needs HDMI 2.0
Then how come Xbox One doesn't output HDR?

CyberChulo

I have the 850c which barely does HDR just like yours (you got the patch right?) Your tv is better than mine so it's gonna look great, mine looks great too, but people with real HDR tvs are gonna love it. I was worried this patched in HDR wasn't gonna be any good, but between this, Gears, and how amazing UHD blu rays have looked, I'm hyped. GIMMIE that PRO.

Yeah I got the patch that enabled all 4 ports to 4:4:4 60hz. Do you know how bright your panel can go? The 940C can reach 1300 nits of brightness. It's eye searing. When I watch regular content, I can't go past 12 on the backlight due to how bright it gets. I think 40 or 50 is the max.

Storm360

Does anyone know if this patch helps the uncapped framerate? It was pretty bad iirc.

EDIT: I mean on the pro, obviously not a huge improvement on OG hardware.

Robot Pants

Yeah I got the patch that enabled all 4 ports to 4:4:4 60hz. Do you know how bright your panel can go? The 940C can reach 1300 nits of brightness. It's eye searing. When I watch regular content, I can't go past 12 on the backlight due to how bright it gets. I think 40 or 50 is the max.
Unfortunately I wish mine was that bright. Mine I think is only 282 which is not very bright compared to newer HDR tvs. I have mine set to max in all modes.
If yours can go that bright then Infamous and pretty much anything else is gonna look amazing

Wereroku

I still don't get it. The original PS4 1.4 HDMI should be not able to output full HDR. Yet it does? I read people say it has space for it but I looked up in google that HDMI 2.0 should be minimum
Then how come Xbox One doesn't output HDR?

Because MS wants you to upgrade to the One S.

Does anyone know if this patch helps the uncapped framerate? It was pretty bad iirc.

EDIT: I mean on the pro, obviously not a huge improvement on OG hardware.

Earlier in the thread someone said they were getting it up to 60fps.

Dredd97

seeing those screenshots just reminds me I should play this game.. (I bought it at lunch, and have played it for... maybe 30 mins?)

I noticed increased particle effects in Last Light. I hope it is not exclusive to it and Second Son will benefit from it. We can't verify yet since we can't test it on PS4 PRO now.

RPGCrazied

I wish they would put these in the store and optional. I have no plans on getting a Pro, so I shouldn't have to download this massive update.

Storm360

Earlier in the thread someone said they were getting it up to 60fps.

On pro consoles? On the original hardware it did hit 60, but mostly hovered in the 40s... I haven't played the game, but if I can get a solid 60 at the 1080p mode i'm happy.

Top Bottom