• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Info: Low Latency is important but don't forget 4:4:4 Chroma! (HDTV gaming)

dino1980

My TV LG PK550 supports RGB/4:4:4.

Is this the same thing as Chroma 4:4:4, just that its RGB instead?

LG 60pk550 supports RGB/4:4:4
Works on Nvidia and ATI drivers, haven't tried Linux
In ubuntu to test using the Nvidia driver make sure DFP-0 (or whatever your screen is) is set for RGB in color space controls

Link

EDIT: Seems that my tv support Chroma 4:4:4. I just need a DVI->HDMI connection between my computer and tv.

teiresias

Anyone doing this that also uses an audio receiver to switch sources needs to also check that the HDMI ports are set to support Full RGB as well.

Also, 444 chroma is strictly a YCrCb spec and isn't really analogous to what FullRGB actually is. Supporting 444 chroma is different from supporting full range RGB.

The thread is a bit misleading in this regard.

Guymelef

I put the image on a USB memory.

Turn on PS3, open the image. Tried to read the image and Red and Magenta was unreadable.

Choose PC mode in my LG TV, and finally I can read Red and Magenta.

So I load GTA V and... it looks like shit. All games looks like shit in PC mode.

:(

Put the image mode in isf for experts and play with values (contrast, etc...)

Shining

I don't get some people. 4:4:4 aside, when you buy a new TV/monitor you calibrate the shit out of that thing! As already stated contrast, brightness, sharpness, black levels, Full Range on/off etc should all be individually calibrated. Never settle for the stock picture modes. If you do you're missing out.

Wonko_C

Speaking of calibrating, I got curious and switched my TV (Sharp Aquos lc42d64u) to PC mode and lo and behold I can see the red and magenta colors clearly now.

But once I try calibrating brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc, they stop looking good. I don't think it makes any difference once I'm playing, though, except for the colors on my TV being washed out, and the image is blurrier because of the default sharpness.

jsnepo

No. That refers to the range. If you choose limited the PS3 outputs an image that ranges from 16 to 240 (not sure about the exact numbers) instead of 0 to 255 for luma (brightness).

TVs typically are set to expect such a range, so it'll look fine.
If you set it to full, the PS3 will output a range from 0 to 255. If your TV is expecting a limited range it will then crush the details in very dark and very bright scenes. Anything in the signal below 16 will be full black, anything above 240 will be full white.

If you set it to full and your TV is expecting a full range signal, you get a superior picture.

If you set it to limited and your TV is expecting a full range signal, you get an image where blacks are grey and whites aren't as bright.

First time I read about this. How do you know if the TV can expect a full range signal? I really like the colors of having the PS3 set to full but on my previous TV, the dark scenes are mostly just black.

emb

Honestly, I could put up with poor colors and low image quality if I could get a good LCD screen. All I need is a TV with low lag, good size, and a low price. I can't seem to find anything that's what I want though. Increased resolution isn't worth having to choose between a tiny monitor or a laggy tv. Maybe I'm just overestimating how bad 23ish ms is, but over a frame seems pretty bad.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The OP in that link to AVS says that if you console game, 4:4:4 doesn't help at all.

With games updating at a rate of 30/60 fps, detecting pixel differences between 4:4:4 and non-4:4:4 under normal viewing conditions is impossible. So 4:4:4 or non-4:4:4 on game consoles becomes irrelevant.

Put the image mode in isf for experts and play with values (contrast, etc...)

This.

LG TVs have a pretty good set of filters, wizards and test images they let you use to calibrate the picture. Works very well.

My study 2012 32" LG LCD now looks better than my lounge 46" 2009 Panasonic Plasma to my eyes. My Plasma is quite old school and has very few options for calibrating the image.

I've changed my mind regarding buying a 4k set just yet. Instead I'll be going for the Sony 55w900a. Supports 4:4:4 and you can't go past that 17ms input lag.

jimbor

Banned
So 4:4:4 doesn't really matter if I'm console only? It seems to be venturing into audiphile territory with the ridiculousness.

I don't get some people. 4:4:4 aside, when you buy a new TV/monitor you calibrate the shit out of that thing! As already stated contrast, brightness, sharpness, black levels, Full Range on/off etc should all be individually calibrated. Never settle for the stock picture modes. If you do you're missing out.

That depends entirely on what you bought. Unless you have a colorimeter to properly calibrate the display and create an ICC profile than factory settings might be better than anything you can achieve simply by looking at it.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
The OP in that link to AVS says that if you console game, 4:4:4 doesn't help at all.

Actually, I tried Need for Speed Most Wanted for PS3, which is 720p@30fps (and lower...), and when you get the police after you, the heat bar (which is red) is notably sharper in PC mode with 4:4:4.

But eh, couldn't find much difference while playing other games on PS3 or with my PC at 1080p@60fps.

So yeah, I guess it helps the IQ, but not that much.

kitanii

Banned
Do any of you know of a 24, 27" 1080p monitor with low latency which also scales lower non-native resolutions (lets say 720p) as well as an HDTV?

I have a wonderful HDTV, but I would like to exchange my current monitor (Acer S243HL) for another that doesn't make everything rendered on a ps3 or 360 look like crap. My television is not always available for me to use you see.

So 4:4:4 doesn't really matter if I'm console only? It seems to be venturing into audiphile territory with the ridiculousness.
It makes the image a little sharper and it slightly reduces lag since consoles/computers output 4:4:4 and you are outputting 4:2:2. There is scaling going on. Imo worth it.

Alej

Banned
I just had an idea but i can't guarantee it works.

We may have another way to test input lag via PS3 (and other platforms too but i will speak about my experience). We could use sound:

- get the PS3 composite cable (red, yellow, white) and plug it into your PS3, while HDMI is plugged for your HDTV.

- in PS3's audio setting, set it to multi output audio.

- then, with a jack to rca adaptor, plug your PS3 composite into any jack receiver/speaker.

With that, you should hear if you have some echo with the HDTV in relation to your composite-powered speaker (which shouldn't suffer from any lag, being direct and all). Now, work with your HDTV settings (game mode/PC mode...etc) to reduce that echo. It seems as the screen is synchronized with audio, you should hear the lag being reduced with some settings, i have!

televator

Well thank you very much OP. This thread now puts me over the edge in wanting a new TV.

I'm now eye balling the Panny TC-P50ST60. Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but does anyone know if this supports 4:4:4?

Ccc says my tv 2008 panny plasma, supports 444 in ycbcr and rgb modes and the test pattern does read easier when zoomed in and using 444 mode, its quite minor difference though, I don't think I would notice if my tv didnt suupport it and I was sat as far away as I am so I wouldn't worry if your tv doesn't support it, sounds like this is more a factor if you're using a pc monitor.

myca77

My TV LG PK550 supports RGB/4:4:4.

Nice, looks like the PK590 does too, I always thought that the PC looked pretty snazzy running through it.

Looks like the VPL-HW55ES I have on order does 4:4:4 too, along with what should be about the lowest input lag for a projector, it should be here around the same time as the PS4 launches. Resogun is gonna look sweet on 92" of projection heaven :)

Picobrain

Banned
TV input as GAME:
hpuppID.jpg

TV input as PC:
4Pt1zLc.jpg

What the hell have I been playing.? LOL
It also seemed to lower my latentacy by 10-16ms (used rock band blitz)

Picture on my TV is like the top one, really crappy, I want to change HDMI name to PC but I can not find this option anywhere. I guess I am screwed :(

I find it odd this was just posted, because I have been researching this stuff lately, as my PC's color was really weird. Figured out last night.

What setting should I have my 360 set to for a tv that is 4:4:4 with full dymanic range?

It seems to give me Limited, Intermediate, Advanced?

I'm guessing my KDL-46VE5 from late 2009 isn't a 4:4:4 chroma TV?

I'm not sure how to check it myself although I have tried. I really need to sign up for one of those techie forums and learn about this stuff.

Izuna

Banned
So how do I check this? Does the Dell U2414H work with it, because I just bought it as my apparently perfect screen.

JJD

I think people (hardcore gamers in general) are just on the verge of waking up to this (much thanks to TV reviewers having started taking real-time graphics into consideration). I am highly impressed of the difference it makes. Here's one review where they are on the money:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl47w805a-201307043162.htm

If the W8 supports 4:4:4 Chroma the W9 certainly supports it as well right?

I just have to set the TV to gaming mode to enable it?

If anyone knows a good game oriented calibration guide for the Sony W9 series please let me know. Haven't found anything on the net... =(

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm getting mixed reports here
According to Samsung when a 4:4:4 chroma signal is received HDMi level is greyed out in settings
I've set up my blu-ray player for 16-bit deep colour and YCbCr 4:4:4 and Black Level has greyed out and the picture has improved
My PS4 and PS3 however isnt greying out regardless
of what setting I put it on, does PS4/PS3 even support this? I've done the tests and have pass them but this greyed out bit is making question if I'm really getting a 4:4:4 signal?
Its also confusing because some people say "low" is for 0 blacks and normal is for 16 blacks and others say the opposite then Samsung say the option shouldn't be selectable if you are receiving a 4:4:4 signal?!
And yes according to HDTVtest my TV supports it in PC mode.

I have put my PS4/PC into PC mode on my Samsung, and the picture quality is now amazing. But certain resolutions/Htz seem to turn off this feature (720p 60 Htz = Works fine, 720p 50Htz goes back to being overly processed and horrible, same with 480p and 1080i). Just curious really, its not an issue, but why would it do this ?

News Bot

Banned
TV input as GAME:
hpuppID.jpg

TV input as PC:
4Pt1zLc.jpg

What the hell have I been playing.? LOL
It also seemed to lower my latentacy by 10-16ms (used rock band blitz)

Damn... so I'm not just imagining things. My set is like this too (Samsung T200HD). How do I fix this horrible shit?

gruenel

Picture on my TV is like the top one, really crappy, I want to change HDMI name to PC but I can not find this option anywhere. I guess I am screwed :(

Turn off all sharpening options you find, dynamic contrast, dynamic blacks, basically any image "enhancer" you can find in the TV options, just turn all that crap off and your image will probably look like the bottom one.

Is there a list of all the TVs that support 4:4:4? Do all the Sony W series TVs support 4:4:4?

Yes, Sony W series all support 4:4:4.

H6rdc0re

Banned
I will take my ISF calibrated Panasonic TX-42GT60 over any crappy LCD monitor even without full 4.4.4 reproduction. Nothing can touch it with the same or smaller size.

forum.bigpicturesound.com said:
Both the G25 and the VT20/VT25 support 4:4:4 color inputs natively so you can get the benefit of this processing on those TVs. And yes, the 4:4:4 output is on by default and the BD85 includes improvements in this chroma processor over its predecessors (BD60/BD80) and even over the BD65 which uses the older chroma upconversion processor.

yesss.gif

H6rdc0re

Banned
Both the G25 and the VT20/VT25 support 4:4:4 color inputs natively so you can get the benefit of this processing on those TVs. And yes, the 4:4:4 output is on by default and the BD85 includes improvements in this chroma processor over its predecessors (BD60/BD80) and even over the BD65 which uses the older chroma upconversion processor.

That's BS. No Panasonic does full 4.4.4 reproduction. Chroma is always blurred to some extent.

I am television tech dumb, and I cant seem to find any solid answer online about this.

I have a Sony KDL-HX820, does this support 4:4:4? If so, do I just set the inputs to PC to enable it on this set?

Top Bottom