• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inkling Boy & Girl are the first black non-Mii characters in Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

Actually Mario does look way too white for a an italian dude ... and the evil character being the only main black character in a series does raises some questions.

Ganon's more brown and frankly I'd still rather have him than no rep at all.

Part of Nintendo's problem is that they mostly create non-human characters and generally refuse to budge from the classic characters. I feel they should have kept Daisy's darker skin tone from the 64 era to make her more unique and forgot she ever had a Nes era design.

Neiteio

Looking forward to playing as the black Inkling Girl. Her color scheme looks great (dark skin tone contrasting with purple hair), especially with this game's lighting model.

Also excited about Bowser Jr (a favorite in Smash) and Dry Bones (an MKDS main)!

Mega

Banned
Actually Mario does look way too white for a an italian dude ... and the evil character being the only main black character in a series does raises some questions.

Italy is made up of different regions where people range from being comparable to the palest of Europeans to a darkish tan complexion. That also goes for Spaniards and Portuguese.

From my perspective the OP's original phrasing is a little restrictive, because I see the Inkling kids as universally brown... it's more inclusive to kids and players around the world. I could see a kid whose Latino Caribbean, West Indian (also Caribbean), South East Asian or Pacific Islander, etc, as excited to play as a dark complected Inkling as much as an African American person.

Do people still not seriously know that monolithsoft is apart of nintendo

While I understand they're a Nintendo first party developer, and can technically be considered "Nintendo," let's not pretend Monolith's not a separate company with their own philosophies and design sensibilities, or that they weren't around for quite some time before being acquired by Nintendo, or that they don't have a history of including non-white characters in their games that predates their being acquired by NCL.

Elma's also:

1) Part of an ensemble cast, and only viewed by some as the de facto "lead" character/main protagonist

2) Actually quite light-complexioned in her true form

3) Nothing remotely close to being a highly visible, headliner character/IP mascot that will appear on game box cover art for numerous titles in the future spanning years of game releases in the way a Mario or Link have. Her face isn't even visible on the cover for X.

Come back to me when NCL proper releases a new AAA IP with the backing and exposure of a Mario, Zelda, or ARMS/Splatoon that features a non-white IP mascot/series headliner character appearing on all game covers and promotional material, and then goes on to make that series a core legacy IP on the level of a Mario/Zelda/Pokemon that sees highly marketed major releases with every new hardware cycle. I won't hold my breath.

While I understand they're a Nintendo first party developer, and can technically be considered "Nintendo," let's not pretend Monolith's not a separate company with their own philosophies and design sensibilities, or that they weren't around for quite some time before being acquired by Nintendo, or that they don't have a history of including non-white characters in their games that predates their being acquired by NCL.

Elma's also:

1) Part of an ensemble cast, and only viewed by some as the de facto "lead" character/main protagonist

3) Nothing remotely close to being a highly visible, headliner character/IP mascot that will appear on game box cover art for numerous titles in the future spanning years of game releases in the way a Mario or Link have.

Come back to me when NCL proper releases a new AAA IP with the backing and exposure of a Mario, Zelda, or ARMS/Splatoon that features a non-white IP mascot/series headliner character appearing on all game covers and promotional material, and then goes on to make that series a core legacy IP on the level of a Mario/Zelda/Pokemon that sees highly marketed major releases with every new hardware cycle. I won't hold my breath.
I swear Gaf's favorite word right before they goal post is....... drum roll please...

PROPER

Desmond

To get back on topic, I didn't even consider the two to be black. They look more tanned to me. They look great either way.

I swear Gaf's favorite word right before they goal post is....... drum roll please...

PROPER

I'm not sure where you're coming from with the goal post moving accusation, because here are the facts:

1) Even if you choose to ignore everything else I've written, Monolith Soft themselves has officially stated the lead/protagonist of X to be Cross---the player-created, customizable character---not Elma.

2) Grezzo is a third-party developer, and decidedly not Nintendo.

Monolithe is a first party developer for Nintendo. There is nothing more "proper" Nintendo than Monolithe. They are basically JRPG EAD.

Again, come back to me when Nintendo does the following:

1) Creates and releases a new IP with the backing and exposure of a Mario, Zelda, or ARMS/Splatoon that features a non-white IP mascot/series headliner character appearing on all game covers and promotional material

2) Goes on to make that series a core legacy IP on the level of a Mario/Zelda/Pokemon that sees highly marketed major releases with every new hardware cycle

I suppose I'll be waiting a long time.

A little about me in relation to this topic:

I'm a Caucasian American. I grew up in Suitland, MD, which was over 90% African American, and around 1 to 2% Caucasian when I lived there (it may have changed some since then.) I remember watching TV as an elementary schooler and being somewhat confused early on, because just about everyone I happened to see whenever I was watching TV was Caucasian. It didn't match my surroundings at all, didn't make sense to me, and I wondered why there were so few non-white people on TV. I can only imagine what it must have been like to grow up as an African American, Hispanic/Latino American, Asian American, Native American, Indian American, etc., see so few people/characters in media who look like you, and then later learn the reasons for that.

I'm not sure where you're coming from with the goal post moving accusation, because here are the facts:

1) Even if you choose to ignore everything else I've written, Monolith Soft themselves has officially stated the lead/protagonist of X to be Cross---the player-created, customizable character---not Elma.

2) Grezzo is a third-party developer, and decidedly not Nintendo.

Yo whole post read like you goal posting. Just a bunch of "requirements"

Platy

Dunno if serious or not on the first part :S

I don't mean a black mario (100%) specificaly ... but not insanely pale (0%) would be nice.
My idea of the general italians is more of a 20 or 30%

Ganon's more brown and frankly I'd still rather have him than no rep at all.

The problem is he being the only black character in most game he is in.

That can be solved by him not being the only black character or he being white and another character being black, like my fan theory of a ganon who messes with the legend trough dark magic and he ending up being born hylian and link is born a girl gerudo and now people don't believe that anyone outisde of a BOY in green can be the hero of legend

Nepenthe

Jesus Christ you know that's not at all what I meant

How else can that be taken when race is an inevitability of designing a human character? Why give the benefit of the doubt to Mario's whiteness (or even the white Inklings) and have no issue with them but then make up this arbitrary excuse for why the presence of dark skin in Mario Kart is "injecting race into places it doesn't belong?"

Black characters can exist free of justification just like white characters do.

shiyrley

Banned
Official Alternative Facts List For This Thread
- Black inklings aren't black, they're white tan inklings.
- Despite Monolith being Nintendo, Elma doesn't count as a Nintendo character

I'll keep it updated

shiyrley

Banned
Correction, a "Proper" Nintendo character
I wonder if Nathan Drake counts as a proper Sony character

BrcIu5h.png

How else can that be taken when race is an inevitability of designing a human character? Why give the benefit of the doubt to Mario's whiteness (or even the white Inklings) and have no issue with them but then make up this arbitrary excuse for why the presence of dark skin in Mario Kart is "injecting race into places it doesn't belong?"

Black characters can exist free of justification just like white characters do.

I never said it doesn't belong. Fucking hell, I even said that I appreciate the inclusion later on in the thread. I just was saying I didn't think it was entirely a big deal for Mario Kart.

People get really angry if black gamers identity with a character and will do their best to deny them that small bit of happiness lol.

Even trotting out arguments like "they're not even human" or "It doesn't take place on earth", well neither does Witcher but look how hard people argued why black people can't exist in that game. Amazing how "White" is super exclusive in real life but in videogames and anime everyone is assumed white regardless if the story takes place on earth, if they're human or otherwise.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Elma's also:

3) Nothing remotely close to being a highly visible, headliner character/IP mascot that will appear on game box cover art for numerous titles in the future spanning years of game releases in the way a Mario or Link have. Her face isn't even visible on the cover for X.

Almost all of Nintendo are smaller studios that make a greater whole and may not even be in the same building, are Intelligent systems or retro not Nintendo now?

I never said it doesn't belong. Fucking hell, I even said that I appreciate the inclusion later on in the thread. I just was saying I didn't think it was entirely a big deal for Mario Kart.
Well shit, it is. It is for any game
People get really angry if black gamers identity with a character and will do their best to deny them that small bit of happiness lol.

Even trotting out arguments like "they're not even human" or "It doesn't take place on earth", well neither does Witcher but look how hard people argued why black people can't exist in that game. Amazing how "White" is super exclusive in real life but in videogames and anime everyone is assumed white regardless if the story takes place on earth, if they're human or otherwise.
They have some sort of innocent until proven guilty mindset...

White until proven otherwise, apparently.

You shouldn't bother. It's not about you.

Excuse me? I'm not allowed to give context regarding why I feel so strongly about underrepresentation and its connection to institutionalized racism, as well as why I can empathize with (and want to endeavor to help) those whose lives have been negatively impacted by it? I grew up in a city where around 97% of the population were minorities, so just about everyone I knew in my life growing up dealt with the underrepresentation problem. That it's not about me is a given. Why do you think I'm posting?

Almost all of Nintendo are smaller studios that make a greater whole and may not even be in the same building, are Intelligent systems or retro not Nintendo now?

To be fair, Intelligent Systems technically isn't. I don't think they are owned by Nintendo?

Going off Wikipedia here so...

EDIT: Their website describes their relationship with Nintendo as a "partnership"

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I mean, most Nintendo characters (aside from in the Mario universe, Metroid, and the animal characters) are probably supposed to be persons of colour as they're generally Japanese, despite some European influence in say, something like Fire Emblem. As for the Inklings, pretty sure they're all supposed to be Japanese, so those Inklings would be a darker Japanese.

Elma is definitely not black
because she's an alien, and besides, she has blue eyes. She's ambiguously anime/Japanese, though she represent the US in the game so perhaps she's supposed to be white with a tan. Who knows

Don't play a Nintendo game exclusively if you want to identify racially with someone, unless you're Japanese (or in some cases like Mario or Metroid, you are White). They're not Overwatch. Nintendo focuses on cartoony characters of relatively ambiguous ethnicity, anime characters who are supposed to be Japanese even if they don't look it, and animals. You're wasting your time assuming things OP.

Izuna

Banned
I mean, most Nintendo characters (aside from in the Mario universe, Metroid, and the animal characters) are probably supposed to be persons of colour as they're generally Japanese, despite some European influence in say, something like Fire Emblem. As for the Inklings, pretty sure they're all supposed to be Japanese, so those Inklings would be a darker Japanese.

Elma is definitely not black
because she's an alien, and besides, she has blue eyes. She's ambiguously anime/Japanese, though she represent the US in the game so perhaps she's supposed to be white with a tan. Who knows

Don't play a Nintendo game exclusively if you want to identify racially with someone, unless you're Japanese (or in some cases like Mario or Metroid, you are White). They're not Overwatch.

I smacked my head so hard I'm bleeding.

Pancake Mix

I smacked my head so hard I'm bleeding.

Nintendo characters almost never really represent a realistic existing ethnicity, when they're even human. It's a waste of your time and the time of the people around you to try to try to discern colour and implicitly feel represented in some way from a Nintendo or anime character, it really just is.

Nintendo tries to go for universal and ambiguous, whenever possible.

Nintendo characters almost never really represent a realistic existing ethnicity, when they're even human. It's a waste of your time and the time of the people around you to try to discern colour from a Nintendo or anime character, it really just is.
"Black" isn't an ethnicity. You can discern their color by looking at them.

They're black

Excuse me? I'm not allowed to give context regarding why I feel so strongly about underrepresentation and its connection to institutionalized racism, as well as why I can empathize with (and want to endeavor to help) those whose lives have been negatively impacted by it? I grew up in a city where around 97% of the population were minorities, so just about everyone I knew in my life growing up dealt with the underrepresentation problem. That it's not about me is a given. Why do you think I'm posting?

My mistake; I'm posting on mobile and thought your post was that of another poster who had been downplaying the significance of this topic. Sorry about that.

Pancake Mix

"Black" isn't an ethnicity. You can discern their color by looking at them.

They're black

I mean, they're squid, yet another animal character, and somewhat styilised like anime characters. It's absolutely a waste of time trying to identify with one, but if that's what makes someone happy, that's fine.

It's not like Overwatch where a character is literally from a specific place on this earth that actually exists. Nintendo created the option for skin colour of an inkling so more people could identify with them, and it's working as this thread shows. That's good. But it's not really something to think too hard about.

They're darker-skinned for anyone who wants them to be darker-skinned, be they of South Asian or African ancestry. Inklings are meant to be universal, but it's just a palette swap you could do in Splatoon proper. Not a huge deal.

I mean, they're squid, yet another animal character, and somewhat styilised like anime characters. It's absolutely a waste of time trying to identify with one, but if that's what makes someone happy, that's fine.

It's not like Overwatch where a character is literally from a specific place on this earth that actually exists. Nintendo created the option for skin colour of an inkling so more people could identify with them, and it's working as this thread shows. That's good. But it's not really something to think too hard about.

Says who?

Inclusion of skin color being diverse is either important or it isn't.

It's not like Overwatch where a character is literally from a specific place on this earth that actually exists.

Why do you bring up characters "from a specific place on this earth" when talking about skin color? They're black

These squid kids have skin colors based on human skin tones. The true waste of time is trying to refute that there are inklings who are black in Splatoon and Mario Kart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom