• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inkling Boy & Girl are the first black non-Mii characters in Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So what's this guy? I'm curious

latest

Dude has "ethnic" hair.clearly black.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Holy shit, do you know what an anecdote is?

You guys really aren't reading these posts. This is ridiculous

I've posted more than enough times for you to use your reading comprehension skills to piece together a general answer for your question. But I don't have much faith in that, nor am i going to waste time trying to fix it.

You've told us some I'm asking for the rest of your definition.

Your entire "arguement" is one big contradiction. You entered this thread giving some very specific definitions for a black character and yet spent rest of it stating there is no real definition for black because it's contextual and cultural and refusing to expand on your initial statements. Someone who honestly believes that would not start the thread by saying what is and isn't Black. Quite frankly it's pure nonsense.

My feelings are that language is complex and context sensitive. There is no 100% correct usage of the word "black people". Even this definition of "people with dark skin" is offensive to many people around the world, of whom i'm assuming you might have not known about. It requires context, and me assuming a context is no more of an offense then you assuming in broad strokes who it includes and doesn't include, just because you falsely think you're being more inclusive for it.

If you genuinely believe it's complex and context sensitive, then how is it that you feel the need to impose your strict (ambiguous and undefined) definition of black on the OP and everyone else in this thread? How is it that you abjectly reject anyone going by the google definition of black in regard to people and the first sentence of the wikipedia page for "black people" (both of which you told people to search for and linked, respectively)?

Why do you believe it's exclusionary for people to call the squid kids black when, as a result of complexities and contextual sensitivities across different cultures, many people come from cultures where black refers to a color and appearance? How do you think you're not being exclusionary here?

The OP definitely didn't even imply that these Cambodian people you're friends with couldn't identify with these inklings, whereas you are going hard in the paint to tell the OP and others they can't and shouldn't refer to these squids as black.

I hate that flat tops are the default ethnic hairstyle other than afros. Where's the tapered Caesar

Some people in this thread won't accept anything other than tentacle cornrows (which I'd also be oaky with tbh)

Izuna

Banned
I've posted more than enough times for you to use your reading comprehension skills to piece together a general answer for your question. But I don't have much faith in that, nor am i going to waste time trying to fix it.

Gunna ask my Mom and Brother what black means. Maybe they know.

I was kidding, but it was hilarious how they made his daughter white.

Marlene1.png

Uhh, I mean... There's a reason for it at least.

Holy shit, do you know what an anecdote is?

You guys really aren't reading these posts. This is ridiculous

by all means, go find these people and tell them how they're wrong. I'm sure they'll thank you for the correction and be your bestest friend afterwards.

Dude, look. I'm South East Asian, brown/black in that case. You have referenced my region a couple of times in this thread.

Dont talk for us, seriously. Get off your high horse.

Gunna ask my Mom and Brother what black means. Maybe they know.

Uhh, I mean... There's a reason for it at least.

Oh my god I forgot why she was, lol.

Dude, look. I'm South East Asian, brown/black in that case. You have referenced my region a couple of times in this thread.

Dont talk for us, seriously. Get off your high horse.

Fluffer, the poster knows better than you do. There are anecdotes that refute your real life knowledge of the region and experiences as being from or having ancestry from the region

Fluffer, the poster knows better than you do. There are anecdotes that refute your real life knowledge of the region and experiences as being from or having ancestry from the region

It's fucking annoying because it's like saying South East Asia is predominantly brown/black.

Not a case with Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam being more predominantly chinese in features.

giggle.gif

I got peoples with straight hair and green eyes in my family. "Ethnic" hair lol..

your family is clearly South Eastern Asian but are actually residing ethnic Japanese who are part of Japanese street culture who happen to have a tan from residing on the beach for most of their lives

either that or they're are clearly white

congrats on being adopted

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Of course this thread is 11 pages long. Of course

And lol at Dominican blacks taking offense at being called black.....black is bad in the DR. So they absolutely can't stand to be black because of the way Dominicans view it

sammy-sosa-and-after.png

Sammy pulled the lever for the ejector seat.

wartama

Neo Member
East African here. I have light brown skin, and many times I was told that I was not black and looked like Asian. Every single time, it felt like they were saying 'you look nice, don't insult yourself by calling yourself black'.

I feel the people who are PoCs themselves and get offended at others calling coloured characters black would rather die than be called black. 'Black' are those other people that aren't me, how dare you see this character I love black.

LordKasual

Banned
If you genuinely believe it's complex and context sensitive, then how is it that you feel the need to impose your strict (ambiguous and undefined) definition of black on the OP and everyone else in this thread? How is it that you abjectly reject anyone going by the google definition of black in regard to people and the first sentence of the wikipedia page for "black people" (both of which you told people to search for and linked, respectively)?

I didn't.

The whole first page of the thread is full of similar posts, and I was speaking for those who were arguing against that specific representation. You're the one who decided to adopt an extreme stance FOR me, and run off about it.

I'm not going to speak on any other ethnicity because i don't feel like I have the right to. Unlike some of you other most self-righteous posters in here, apparently.
Why do you believe it's exclusionary for people to call the squid kids black when, as a result of complexities and contextual sensitivities across different cultures, many people come from cultures where black refers to a color and appearance? How do you think you're not being exclusionary here?

My post wasn't about it being exclusionary, it was about it possibly being inaccurate, which is bound to cause some people to feel like its inclusive and other to feel like it isnt.

"Black people" is bound to be exclusionary when it's used over the internet and the context isn't well defined, because internet context is never well defined. It depends on the community. But that's just how language works.

The OP definitely didn't even imply that these Cambodian people you're friends with wcouldn't identify with these inklings, whereas you are going hard in the paint to tell the OP and others they can't and shouldn't refer to these squids as black.

Nah...that's just you my dude.
Representation usually means "this character looks like it could be me". Not "this character shares features that could very vaguely be me but is also easily not me in more ways then it is."

It's okay to compromise to accept a win. That's cool. But when people point out that they still don't feel represented in a topic celebrating their representation...maybe you should quiet down, just accept the compromise, and then accept the criticism...besides, it was never about you in the first place.
Some people in this thread won't accept anything other than tentacle cornrows (which I'd also be oaky with tbh)

It's okay to compromise to accept a win. That's cool. But when people point out that they still don't feel represented in a topic celebrating their representation...maybe you should quiet down, just accept the compromise, and then accept the criticism...besides, it was never about you in the first place.

But when people point out that they still don't feel represented in a topic celebrating their representation

Too little reading, too much assuming. I'm done with this thread

If someone enters the thread and feels like it was talking about them, that's what the post was for.

If it applies to multiple ethnicities by default....then i really don't know what the back and forth is for.

This really is the last time i'm chiming in on this kind of thread on GAF. Some of you are so warped in your outlook that I can't imagine you'll ever have a practical conversation with any group of people in outside a forum board who dont explicitly share your views without resorting to personal attacks.

and again LordKasual fail to address my concerns of him 'defending' South East Asians in this thread, and ask for people to have better reading comprehension.

Come on mate.

atr0cious

"Black people" is bound to be exclusionary when it's used over the internet and the context isn't well defined, because internet context is never well defined. It depends on the community. But that's just how language works.
How can you be so right and wrong at the same time. Here's a peer reviewed source about why you're wrong.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I didn't.

The whole first page of the thread is full of similar posts, and I was speaking for those who were arguing against that specific representation. You're the one who decided to adopt an extreme stance FOR me, and run off about it.

I'm not going to speak on any other ethnicity because i don't feel like I have the right to. Unlike some of you other most self-righteous posters in here, apparently.

My post wasn't about it being exclusionary, it was about it possibly being inaccurate, which is bound to cause some people to feel like its inclusive and other to feel like it isnt.

Compromise what, this inkling is as much as representation for anyone with dark skin african descent as with asian, hawaian, native America etc they can all equally claim it that's fucking point. The design couldn't be more explictly black without going into racist sterotypes which judging by your statements in this thread is how you designate "black" characters. There's no assumptions there you litterally stated it, it's there for all to see.

combine42

Neo Member
Are Mario characters even human? Mario looks way different then the people walking around the city in the upcoming game.

Reminds me of when people got pissed that goku wasn't Asian in the shitty live action dragonball movie. He's a fucking alien from outer space, why the fuck would he be Asian in the first place?

Are Mario characters even human? Mario looks way different then the people walking around the city in the upcoming game.

Reminds me of when people got pissed that goku wasn't Asian in the shitty live action dragonball movie. He's a fucking alien from outer space, why the fuck would he be Asian in the first place?
The hipocrisy lol

akira28

I hate that flat tops are the default ethnic hairstyle other than afros. Where's the tapered Caesar

I had to give my guy on Elite Dangerous a flat top because the only other options were short, shaved, and dreadlocks. But I got an awesome scar across my blind left eye.

Platy

So what's this guy? I'm curious

latest

a pretty bad black stereotype with everything included from the way he talks, starts the game having a gang to the fact that he is part metal which means he is too heavy to swim

...but since he was one of the first ones, he was loved by everyone since at the time we did not had any comparison

Mozendo

Maybe because he's based on Sun Wukong, an Asian mythological figure from an famous Asian story, the same story Dragon Ball is influenced from.

a pretty bad black stereotype with everything included from the way he talks, starts the game having a gang to the fact that he is part metal which means he is too heavy to swim

...but since he was one of the first ones, he was loved by everyone since at the time we did not had any comparison

And he's wearing timberlands..😏

Kebiinu

Banned
I didn't.

If someone enters the thread and feels like it was talking about them, that's what the post was for.

If it applies to multiple ethnicities by default....then i really don't know what the back and forth is for.

Lmao, your head is shoved way too far up your own ass to even understand the perspective of others here. You lost the moment you tried arguing with "ethnic" hair. Your stance was clear from the jump, and begging people for "reading comprehension" will not change the ignorance in your opinions.

Black is dark skin. Blackness is dark skin. Black is not exclusive but an INCLUSIVE term often used to describe PoC. The reason why "PoC" is such an annoying term to many of us, is because people like to hide behind it while screaming, "And I'm not black!!"

Direct your friends here, and I'll gladly tell them I love their blackness. And if they say, "I'm not black, I'm Dominican." I'll direct them to a multitude of sources that will tell them all they need to know about their culture.

You honestly need to educate yourself as well. Since you started back pedaling the moment someone hit you with that Google definition. Now you're like, "Uh. I'm just saying they're not SIGNIFICANTLY black, cause they look like me too, and I'm brown! Besides, black means different things for many different people." when 'black' is almost always associated with a negative.

Puhlease.

Enzom21

LordKasual the latest brave soul to dance around the "Define what a black person is supposed to be" question.
We all know that you have a clear idea of what you think a black person is or should be. Don't be afraid, share.
----
Why the fuck would he be a white man?
If Goku isn't white how are people like combine42 supposed to relate to him?

Kebiinu

Banned

Did you argue the same stance with Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in the Shell? Why the fuck would Goku be white in the first place?

This is where identity politics gets you to, people of different races arguing over who is the closest to a fictional squid child.

Or this is what systematic racism looks like. It's about representation btw, I hope you don't look like an Inkling.

Cyanity

Banned
Lmao, your head is shoved way too far up your own ass to even understand the perspective of others here. You lost the moment you tried arguing with "ethnic" hair. Your stance was clear from the jump, and begging people for "reading comprehension" will not change the ignorance in your opinions.

Black is dark skin. Blackness is dark skin. Black is not exclusive but an INCLUSIVE term often used to describe PoC. The reason why "PoC" is such an annoying term to many of us, is because people like to hide behind it while screaming, "And I'm not black!!"

Direct your friends here, and I'll gladly tell them I love their blackness. And if they say, "I'm not black, I'm Dominican." I'll direct them to a multitude of sources that will tell them all they need to know about their culture.

You honestly need to educate yourself as well. Since you started back pedaling the moment someone hit you with that Google definition. Now you're like, "Uh. I'm just saying they're not SIGNIFICANTLY black, cause they look like me too, and I'm brown! Besides, black means different things for many different people." when 'black' is almost always associated with a negative.

Puhlease.

Can we just end the thread on this note

Platy

Also, FF7 imply that black people became extinct since besides him there are like ... 2 other black people on the game.

Lol no. Just no. This is where society gets you after hundreds of years of slavery, ethnicity​ based laws and white superiority being made natural law

I'm sure the oppressed peoples of the ages are overjoyed that you're fighting amongst yourselves over a squid child in a kart racer.

This really is the last time i'm chiming in on this kind of thread on GAF. Some of you are so warped in your outlook that I can't imagine you'll ever have a practical conversation with any group of people in outside a forum board who dont explicitly share your views without resorting to personal attacks.
No one said this was only for black people and excluding other brown minority groups.

LordKasual couldn't even leave the thread in peace, had to ironically drop a few personal attacks on the way out implying y'all are socially inept IRL.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom