• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Nvidia HQ: What a $2T Company’s Office Looks Like

LordOfChaos

I just thought this was a neat look in side a company we've all known, sometimes loved, sometimes been frustrated by or even hated, but has always been a core central company for decades in the gaming community. I remember when this campus was just a first released render and it looked so wild and out there and I wasn't sure if they were really going to do it, but Nvidia's execution as a company has been just amazing and this campus looks amazing too

Last edited:
Today's Silicon Valley trivia:

Nvidia started construction on their spaceship-looking HQ shortly after construction of Apple's distinct doughnut-shaped Apple Park began back in 2016. Apple Park was completed in 2017 around the same time as Endeavour, which is the triangle-shaped building. The second Nvidia building was added the following year.

At the time, Nvidia's market cap was around $200 billion. The company has added a tiny bit of market value since then.

That’s what happens when you triple the price of your product in a decade I guess.

As soon as AMD find a way to put it all on the CPU they are toast of course.

Davevil

NINTCHDBPICT000574320669.jpg

Inside my smart working's office

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks like something from a sci-fi movie.

Buggy Loop

1a9.gif

It would have to be the opposite. Hugely parallelized GPUs would never be a match to just become a CPU, unless we’re talking APUs which I’m really not sure how you expect that to compete with Nvidia flagships? APUs already exist.

The opposite can happen though, CPUs have been having trouble with parallel threading and Nvidia has stated that eventually CPUs will just be part of GPUs, it would gain from it.

LordOfChaos

They've been putting the graphics on CPUs ("APUs") for more than a decade. They can make respectable lower-mid range graphics, but you can always

-Put more power through two chips than one
-Put more transistor budget in two chips than one
-Dissipate more heat through two chips than one

And importantly

-Feed more bandwidth through two chips than one.

Even Apple's very excellent highly efficient unified memory single chip solutions only make it to *60 tier in most things, with a few outliers to higher but mostly not

If anything it's been the opposite with the GPU absorbing more of the datacenter, games, certainly the AI trainers than CPUs

DaGwaphics

Looks really interesting. I like the way a couple of the buildings in the fly over look like they have giant GPU fans on them.

Why do I always cringe so hard at shit like this. Also "Employees are called nvidians". What the fuck is this? Jonestown? You're there to fucking work, not to live. Get shit done and get home.
I bet you didn't know all of tech companies have nicknames for the employees like that, well now you do

recursive

Shit like this just sounds like a giant waste of money to me.
Agree. Bunch of wasted space. I only saw a handful of people actually working, most were eating, bullshitting or on their phones. Looked like a college cafeteria. Now we know why their GPUs cost 4 testicles.

LordOfChaos

Agree. Bunch of wasted space. I only saw a handful of people actually working, most were eating, bullshitting or on their phones. Looked like a college cafeteria. Now we know why their GPUs cost 4 testicles.

It's a competition to retain the best talent in Silicon Valley, an appealing workspace is part of it, and also I think the whole concept of being open and running into people you know on the excessive stairs etc as they admit in the video is also to subtly give a sense of community and further better keep people there. If the salary was the same but you could choose this campus over a drab cubicle office building, I mean I know I'd pick this.

Also lunch breaks are a thing

sendit

I had to fact check this. You're incorrect. The cost of a testicle transplant is averaged at ~7500 USD (Fully Installed).

Last edited:

recursive

It's a competition to retain the best talent in Silicon Valley, an appealing workspace is part of it, and also I think the whole concept of being open and running into people you know on the excessive stairs etc as they admit in the video is also to subtly give a sense of community and further better keep people there. If the salary was the same but you could choose this campus over a drab cubicle office building, I mean I know I'd pick this.

Also lunch breaks are a thing
In a video showing a work environment focusing on lunch breaks almost completely is weird.

Fredrik

Looks too chill, too tidy, like they don’t even work there. I want to see the messy electronics labs.

WitchHunter

Banned
Soul of Nvidia... ohh... is that thing even exists? Maybe a mutated monster hidden at the middle separates people from their souls every morning and lick them like popsickles until they give up their ideas. :D

SJHyx4O.png

Btw where are the animals? There is lots of space for dogs, cats, deers, cows, ducks, chickens... ;P

Top Bottom