• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Games responds to the QTE criticism in Spider-Man for PS4

Since people can't stop complaining about a vertical slice set piece built for e3

1RVfoVK.png

CJY

Banned
There you go.

QTE in set pieces only.

Much better than just sitting and watching a cutscene.

Torgo

During my E3 appointment for this game, they confirmed that the only QTE moments in that whole demo was the crane scene lol. People need to relax.

Since people can't stop complaining about a vertical slice set piece built for e3

1RVfoVK.png

I mean it's the section of the game they decided to show off. So you can't blame people for extrapolating this from what they chose to show off. Glad to see that it won't be a prominent part of the game though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Unpopular opinion time.

I wish Insomniac also add an "auto QTE" option for the game for accessibility, similar to how Capcom added an auto QTE option in Resident Evil 6. If it's a 'set piece block buster' moment. I'd rather eliminate the 'miss and repeat' aspect that usually plagues these kind of QTE's completely to enjoy the set piece in it's full glory.

Servbot24

Banned
So ridiculous they had to respond to this idiotic criticism. It's as though people have never played a game released in the last 10 years. There is always normal gameplay with the occasional set piece.

"I saw a QTE so that must be the entire game."
"I saw four areas in Mario Odyssey so that must be the entire game."

That is literally the thought process of a small infant who doesn't understand that things it doesn't see still exist.

I mean it's the section of the game they decided to show off. So you can't blame people for extrapolating this from what they chose to show off. Glad to see that it won't be a prominent part of the game though.

Yes you absolutely can blame people for thinking this. Unless the intelligence of the gaming audience does not deserve even the slightest modicum of respect.

Certinty

I can't believe this was ever in doubt. Such an overreaction from people, it was so obviously Insomniac wanted to show us different parts of the game and something the audience could get into.

I bet when Sony showed that Uncharted 4 set piece a few years ago at E3 people thought the whole game was like that too... Bloody hell.

CHC

Bitching about QTEs seems so 2010. I can't remember the last totally egregious use of them - most developers have managed to reconcile them just fine with actual gameplay.

Here we go!
I'm a little bit surprised at the QTE backlash, it was like 30 seconds of a 9 min long demo.

I'm sure this comment by Insomniac won't calm anything down though.

Vorg

Banned
There you go.

QTE in set pieces only.

That really depends on what happens when you fail the QTE. If it's an insta-kill, they can fuck right off.

Alienous

Of course, but it's still a poor way of handling your set-pieces. It reminds me of when I'd hand my little brother an unplugged controller and let him press buttons to make him think he was playing the game.

If your set-piece moments are so unattached to the core gameplay that you have to wrest control from the player and flash buttons onto the screen then that's, I'd argue, bad design that should be criticized.

It doesn't mean it'll be a bad game, by any means.

CJY

Banned

People need to learn to red between the lines of a gameplay trailer. There is about 30 seconds of QTE in that 9 minute trailer which is about 5%. You talk about extrapolation... most of the demo didn't show off QTE. At all. All it showed was that the game contains some QTE. It in no way suggested that it was going to be exceedingly prevalent.

There you go.

QTE in set pieces only.

I mean, it's still a cutscene. The difference is if you don't push the button at the right moment, you get to watch it again!

I don't really have much of an issue with QTEs when used sparingly.

So ridiculous they had to respond to this idiotic criticism. It's as though people have never played a game released in the last 10 years. There is always normal gameplay with the occasional set piece.

That is literally the thought process of a small infant who doesn't understand that things it doesn't see still exist.

200.gif

Eggbok

People actually expecting this game to be primarily QTE's, what!? So we ignore the demo that shows actual combat, swinging, etc without the QTE's but because there are QTE's during a moment we literally could not play out ourselves we act like the entire game will only be that. Some people are idiots.

CJY

Banned
Of course, but it's still a poor way of handling your set-pieces. It reminds me of when I'd hand my little brother an unplugged controller and let him press buttons to make him think he was playing the game.

If your set-piece moments are so unattached to the core gameplay that you have to flash buttons onto the screen then that's, I'd argue, bad design that should be criticized.

Are you saying that the set piece shown off in the trailer would be better if it was fully controllable? I don't really see how personally. Feel free to enlighten.

It's an interactive cutscene that would, without QTE, be completely passive.

If your set-piece moments are so unattached to the core gameplay that you have to wrest control from the player and flash buttons onto the screen then that's, I'd argue, bad design that should be criticized.

Care to explain how those crazy moments should handled instead WITHOUT removing them? You're still being asked to look at, run toward, and aim things to then respond to. Pressing a timed button is not so far removed from tapping and timing button taps during normal gameplay for this kind of hyperbole.

Shredderi

People need to learn to red between the lines of a gameplay trailer. There is about 30 seconds of QTE in that 9 minute trailer which is about 5%. You talk about extrapolation... most of the demo didn't show off QTE. At all. All it showed was that the game contains some QTE. It in no way suggested that it was going to be exceedingly prevalent.

People do extrapolate. They do this in reverse as well: they see a 2 second gif of the game and they like what they see in the gif and say things like "GOTY" etc.

Yes you absolutely can blame people for thinking this. It's a bizarrely stupid thing to think.

This is not the argument, and I wish people would stop trying to wave this whole thing away by pretending this is what people are saying. The argument is that these sorts of QTEs are not fun in any amount. You might feel differently, but I loathe these sorts of QTEs, and I'm not kidding when I say this has severely lessened my anticipation of this game. Personally, I would rather watch a cutscene than have to watch for button prompts and potentially fail a section like that. Failing and having to do it over again completely destroys the momentum and intensity they're trying to create.

Jawmuncher

You can still complain about QTEs in general though. RE4-6 only really have them in cutscenes yet they were a big complaint for many.

KyleCross

Honestly I don't care if it's just for set-piece moments, no single moment in games should have that amount of QTEs anymore. It's time for them to go.

i dream of a day a dev snaps and answer "it's my fucking game and i'll do it how i fucking want it"

and i don't care about Spiderman and hate QTE

Top Bottom