• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel’s new Core i9-14900KS arrives today for $699 with boosts up to 6.2GHz

Draugoth

Gold Member
14900ks.jpeg

Intel is launching its flagship Core i9-14900KS processor today, with clock speeds that boost all the way up to 6.2GHz. That’s 200MHz more than the previous Core i9-13900KS that launched last year and was the first desktop processor to break the 6GHz barrier at stock speeds.
This new Core i9-14900KS will be priced at $699, the same as the previous 13900KS, and will be available in stores today. The 6.2GHz max turbo frequency is an out-of-the-box boost, so there could be room for overclocking to push these speeds even further. The 14900KS has the same 24 cores found on the 14900K, with eight performance cores and 16 efficiency ones. It does run at a 150-watt base power, though, instead of the 125 watts found on the 14900K.

Other than the power and turbo frequencies, the 14900KS is almost identical to the 14900K. It’s essentially a “binned” version that has been selected to run at a higher clock speed. Z790 and Z690 motherboards will support the 14900KS with the latest BIOS updates.

Intel’s own 14900KS benchmarks.

via TheVerge

Last edited:

SoloCamo

As someone who refuses to water cool Intel isn't leaving me any choices on the top end. Just as well, both my 10900 and 11900k are fine for 4k for now. Already run a NH-D15 Chromax in a full size Fractal Torrent case as is, can't really beat it for CPU air cooling.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Hey Intel.....AMD even has a coupon.

Frustrated World Cup GIF
I have a 7600X in an ITX build so I'm literally always trying to manage the heat, but even in eco mode it boost up for these newer games so I'm back in the 80c range vs 50s and 60s, still much better than 96 by a mile. I could probably sell it for 160 just to get rid of it and upgrade for lower tdp

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm just going to continue to use my 10700K until 15th gen gets here.
It's cool to see 6.2ghz though.
I just wish Intel's modern cpu's didn't run so hot.

SoloCamo

7800X3D consumes 3x less power and delivers similar performance. WTF is wrong with Intel?

At least they compete and do very well outside of gaming, my old FX-8120, FX-8350 and FX-9590 from AMD not only were worse but the power consumption was horrible too.

I'm just going to continue to use my 10700K until 15th gen gets here.
It's cool to see 6.2ghz though.
I just wish Intel's modern cpu's didn't run so hot.
Yup, I kept my 4790k from 2014 till 2020 and moved to a 10900 (non k but p/l unlocked so 4.6ghz all core vs 4.9ghz) - moved to a 11900k when I got a brand new one & a good z590 board for barely over $300 shipped. I'm in the same boat, but I'll probably go back to AMD if Intel can't get power usage under control.

Bojji

5.8Ghz on all cores. What is incredible there?

Non gaming stuff?

Yeah but it still consumes this power just in gaming. Looks like 7950x3d is the best all around cpu and consumes just a bit more than 7800x3d in gaming.

Intel is using alder lake tech for too long, it was fine when it launched but anymore.

SoloCamo

Why the two machines? (just curious)

If he's like me I use one as my gaming rig (11900k / 32gb dual rank cl14 3733 DDR4 / 6900XT) and one dedicated as a workstation / server. (i9 10900 / 64gb DDR4 3600 / Intel Arc A380)

Last edited:

Bry0

Stupid chip. If intel could get TDP under control these would be interesting, but it’s so laughably far out from AMD chips giving the same performance that it just seems pointless. At least for gamers.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
7800X3D consumes 3x less power and delivers similar performance. WTF is wrong with Intel?
same performance, 2x the price, 3x the power consumption, on a platform that’s EOL.

Why the hell did Intel release this thing? All this does is damage their reputation and provide free advertising for AMD. I’m so confused. Is all that worth it just so you can rip off a few gullible enthusiasts?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BOOOOOORING and predictable Intel play book. Thank God they don't have a foothold on consumer like they did 10 years ago. This is a garbage CPU for what it requires vs AMD

TheFawz

Performance, Power and Price do make this product seem worth existing but when you look at the mess e-cores have been (especially on Win10) it feels even more like a waste. Maybe slow/fast memory can change the performance metrics one way or another on top too

Barakov

Gold Member
14900ks.jpeg

Intel is launching its flagship Core i9-14900KS processor today, with clock speeds that boost all the way up to 6.2GHz. That’s 200MHz more than the previous Core i9-13900KS that launched last year and was the first desktop processor to break the 6GHz barrier at stock speeds.
This new Core i9-14900KS will be priced at $699, the same as the previous 13900KS, and will be available in stores today. The 6.2GHz max turbo frequency is an out-of-the-box boost, so there could be room for overclocking to push these speeds even further. The 14900KS has the same 24 cores found on the 14900K, with eight performance cores and 16 efficiency ones. It does run at a 150-watt base power, though, instead of the 125 watts found on the 14900K.

Other than the power and turbo frequencies, the 14900KS is almost identical to the 14900K. It’s essentially a “binned” version that has been selected to run at a higher clock speed. Z790 and Z690 motherboards will support the 14900KS with the latest BIOS updates.

Intel’s own 14900KS benchmarks.

via TheVerge
fire burn GIF by Miss May I

Mikado

Gold Member
ITT: People caring about waste heat
Me: Tell me you don't live in Canada without telling me you don't live in Canada

Top Bottom