• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel is just crazy…14900KS related.

Leonidas

I'm trying to think of what could possibly compel me to buy an Intel CPU nowadays. Here's the shortlist:
  • Massive discounts, like $200 cheaper than the competition.
  • Included AIO...maybe they partner with Corsair or NZXT.
  • Sebastian Linus coming to my house and surprising me with a $5000 Intel Xtreme Makeover like he does for his staff.
    • Oh wait, he does that with AMD now.
13600K/14600K and lower are still great choices.

When I bought my 13600K, it was the best option at $300, now that Zen4 has come down in price, I probably still would have went with the 13600K/14600K over the 7700x (they are close in price) since I didn't have to buy new RAM.

13600K is cool enough for air cooling unless you're heavily overclocking (on my motherboard).

Starfield, Dragons Dogma 2 and Cyberpunk PT all push my i7-11700k hard. They go up to 150 watts at time. But not 220 watts you see on the cinebench benchmarks.
It seems you are right. I looked at the gameplay of the most CPU intensive games I could find and even in "TLOU Remake" the power consumption stayed between 120-150W despite the insane CPU usage (96%).

However, the 7800X3D is just as fast as the 14700K and uses 2x less power. There's also the hope that next-generation AMD CPUs will also use the AM5 socket, making the AMD platform more future-proof. I have always been a fan of Intel CPUs, but this time it seems that AMD has a better product.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It seems you are right. I looked at the gameplay of the most CPU intensive games I could find and even in "TLOU Remake" the power consumption stayed between 120-150W despite the insane CPU usage (96%).

However, the 7800X3D is just as fast as the 14700K and uses 2x less power. There's also the hope that next-generation AMD CPUs will also use the AM5 socket, making the AMD platform more future-proof. I have always been a fan of Intel CPUs, but this time it seems that AMD has a better product.

yeah i would not recommend any intel CPU over the 7800x3d. it is amazing.

i was mostly talking about the past when these intel CPUs were trashed in comparison to the AMD Zen 2-Zen 3 lineups. It got so bad that i was able to buy the intel CPUs at a discount compared to the zen 2 equivalents at the time because everyone bought into bullshit benchmarks the pc youtubers were doing at the time. now people are upset at video game studios who are pushing CPUs for not optimizing when they are the ones who bought tdp limited CPUs just because they were cooler.

yeah i would not recommend any intel CPU over the 7800x3d. it is amazing.

i was mostly talking about the past when these intel CPUs were trashed in comparison to the AMD Zen 2-Zen 3 lineups. It got so bad that i was able to buy the intel CPUs at a discount compared to the zen 2 equivalents at the time because everyone bought into bullshit benchmarks the pc youtubers were doing at the time. now people are upset at video game studios who are pushing CPUs for not optimizing when they are the ones who bought tdp limited CPUs just because they were cooler.
In 2021, I'd probably go for an i7 11700K too, but 12th / 13th generation of Intel processors has been drastically redesigned (E-Cores) and it seems they're not as reliable.

These are serious issues that people are experiencing, and IDK if this is a design fault or a user fault (running the CPU with too much OC).

Meanwhile, AMD CPUs are getting better and better. I still have a time until June to make a decision, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the AMD 7800X3D.

I also need to upgrade my GTX1080 (10TF OC) but want to upgrade my platform first as I often run into CPU bottleneck scenarios (stutters and 35-40fps dips) while my GPU is still offering somewhat acceptable performance. For example I was able to complete the Callisto protocol at around 45-60fps at 1440p which was very playable on my VRR monitor).

I could upgrade my GPU in August to something like 4070ti Super because it has 16GB VRAM, but Nvidia will release a new generation of GPUs in Q4 2024, so I'm planning to keep my GTX1080 till then. Something like the RTX 5070 or RTX 5080 would last me the whole generation.

I could upgrade my GPU in August to something like 4070ti Super because it has 16GB VRAM, but Nvidia will release a new generation of GPUs in Q4 2024, so I'm planning to keep my GTX1080 till then. Something like the RTX 5070 or RTX 5080 would last me the whole generation.
You think we'll be able to buy a 5070 in 2024? I'd suspect them launching only the 5080 and 5090 this year. 5090 in like mid Dec, 5080 at the tail end of Dec if it doesn't get delayed. 5070 will follow at the end of Feb 2025 and so on, and these are only the paper launches. I predict these will be sold out for months and very hard to get your hands on for a long time.

You think we'll be able to buy a 5070 in 2024? I'd suspect them launching only the 5080 and 5090 this year. 5090 in like mid Dec, 5080 at the tail end of Dec if it doesn't get delayed. 5070 will follow at the end of Feb 2025 and so on, and these are only the paper launches. I predict these will be sold out for months and very hard to get your hands on for a long time.
Fair point. The RTX50xx series will certainly offer significantly better RT performance, but I don't know if I can wait that many months.

With PS5 settings and FSR2 I can run every single game from my Steam library at an acceptable frame rate (45-60fps is playable for me on my VRR monitor), so I guess I could wait for the RTX5070, but I know I'll be tempted to get a 4070ti Super because it's a much more powerful GPU than my current GTX1080 and it offers HW RT and DLSS features.

I guess I can buy a 4070tiS in August and sell it at a big loss when the 5070 is available.

Three

Does anybody know when Intel start pumping out wafers on their high-NA machines and what the first product using it will be? I know they recently had an ASML machine delivered and set up but is there a roadmap for when we get to see these chips?

Puscifer

Can confirm that my 7600X in eco mode tops out in the 80s in stuff that trashes the cpu, generally speaking wattage wise i'm floating in the 50s and 60s, eco mode is nuts

manfestival

for anyone having the issues with the i9. I have tried the solution that falcon northwest has suggested and it has been pretty solid and stable for me.

Asus has released a new firmware. According to this article, the 14900K is now more stable, but performance is up to 11% worse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom