• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interested in checking out Jackie Chan movies, where to start?

I never have really had any interest in Chan's work. It's an odd contradiction; martial arts and hand to hand are my favorite kinds of action scenes in movies and yet I was never into Jackie Chan?

I prefer my martial arts fight in the vein of The Raid/Kill Zone 2/Ip Man, and the clips I had seen of Jackie Chan's stuff always seemed too slapstick-y and comedy. Which was the main turn-off for me

But now I'm curious in giving his movies a chance, so was wondering what were the best films to check out

I am pretty sure one of my favourite Jackie Chan movies is Wheels on Meals. Great martial arts (amazing martial arts), fun story, great scenery...

SOLDIER

Drunken Master and Drunken Master II (Legend of the Drunken Master in some regions) are top tier Jackie Chan.

I actually wouldn't mind reading some recommendations that I might have missed/overlooked.

Start with the Police Story movies and work your way up.

edit: oh, start with Drunken Master, actually. It predates Police Story by like ten years.

My favorite Jackie Chan movies are Drunken Master and Rumble in the Bronx. However if you don't like slapstick and acrobatics in your kung-fu then he may not be for you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The best.

p21702_p_v8_ae4furh.jpg

SOLDIER

And in case no one here mentions it because they think it doesn't count or some nonsense:

jackie-chan-adventures-logo.jpg

It's legit great and frequently pays tribute to his best movies (and also Bruce Lee's).

Never mock the cookie.

Rumble in the Bronx, Drunken Master series, Police Story, Who am I?, and Rush Hour should be required watching for anyone who owns at least a working VCR.

No fucking excuses.

LiK

His 70's and 80's movies were his greatest works. He had a few good ones in the 90's and 00's.

These are my faves:

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Drunken Master 1 and 2
Project A Part 1 and Part 2
Police Story 1-3
Armor of God 1 and 2
Young Master
Dragon Lord
Wheels on Meals
Dragons Forever
Who Am I?

Please let me know what you think of them.

Rush Hour is my favourite(s), but Who Am I is probably my favorite of his more traditional ones, especially the end fight.

Drunken Master is great, too.

Please check out, in no particular order but as soon as possible:

Drunken Master 2 (aka Legend of the Drunken Master in the US, albeit edited dubbed and rescored)
Police Story 1 & 2
Project A
Wheels on Meals
Drunken Master 1

Edit: Oh and the Armour of God movies.

AP90

Project A
Rumble in the Bronx
Gorgeous
Wheels on Meals

Are excellent.
*Gorgeous had this cool one on one fight scene

Project A + Project A Part II
Wheels On Meals
Police Story + Police Story 2 + Police Story 3 + Police Story 4
Armour of God + Armour of God II
Dragons Forever
Drunken Master II
Rumble In The Bronx
Mr. Nice Guy
Who Am I?
Rush Hour + Rush Hour 2

His 70's and 80's movies were his greatest works. He had a few good ones in the 90's and 00's.

These are my faves:

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Drunken Master 1 and 2
Project A Part 1 and Part 2
Police Story 1-3
Armor of God 1 and 2
Young Master
Dragon Lord
Wheels on Meals
Dragons Forever
Who Am I?

Please let me know what you think of them.

People always sleep on Snake in Eagles Shadow.

ec0ec0

Drunken Master 2 (aka Legend of the Drunken Master in the US, albeit edited dubbed and.

my brother wanted to watch the Drunken Master 1 and 2 (because he loves drunk rock lee from naruto), so we bought the DVD for "Legend of the Drunken Master". If i'm remembering it correctly, i think i read that it was an awful version (no original soundtrack, no original battle sound effects, etc..), it's the one we watched though :/

Skulldead

I still think Police Story series is overall pretty impressive . Drunken Master 2 is one of his masterpiece IMO.

Also watch his Documentary with the stunt school (i think it's on youtube), it add a layer of fun when you see them in action in different movies.

If you get tired of all action-ish movie and see that yeah jackie can act, watch
Shinjuku Incident. It really good to see him in a non-comedy role.

I'll echo the Drunken Master 1 and 2 recommendations. Drunken Master 2 is the best martial arts movie I've ever seen. After that check out Project A 1-2, Armour of God 1-2, Police Story 1-3, Wheels on Meals, Dragon's Forever, and Rumble in the Bronx.

Blader

Police Story, Drunken Master II, and Project A are my favorites of the limited number of HK Jackie films I've seen. The first Drunken Master is okay but kind of wonky.

LiK

Is there a definitive way to watch the movies? An ultimate Blu Ray collection, or maybe Amazon Video?

Most of his works are on DVD. I recommend the DVDs from HK for the original tracks and music. I really don't like the Western releases even if they have better video quality. They somehow screw up the audio or censor something or edit out something. The English dubs are almost always atrocious as well.

I think some of his stuff are on Netflix. Not sure if they're all on there.

The only way to currently watch the original Drunken Master 2 on home video with original language, music and original ending is a fan made edit. I picked up the Blu-ray recently. I also own the VCD but the quality is pretty bad.

Stitch

Gold Member
If you want some without slapstick

Crime Story
New Police Story
Police Story 2013
Protector (HK Version has better fights, US Version has a bit more Blood and Titties lol)

There's also stuff like 1911 and Shinjuku Incident but I thought they were crap...

Some of his movies are a bit more serious and only have a bit slapstick but usually they are heavily censored for the west to make them kid-friendly.

Like Rumble, Mr Nice Guy, Police Story 4 (First Strike) or Accidental Spy (the International Version is censored so heavily that it doesn't even make any fucking sense)

Foggy

If you want more serious-minded kung-fu from that era then you should invest in Yuen Biao movies like Dreadnaught, Righting Wrongs/Above the Law, On The Run and Eastern Condors.

As for Jackie:
Drunken Master 2
Police Story
Armour of God
Project A
Wheels on Meals

Start there and see where it takes you.

Start with Project A, Police Story, or Armor of God. The others who have listed out the bulk of his 80's films are correct that they are fabulous, but save Drunken Master 2 for a bit because it is certainly the best. I am also partial to Project A 2.

Liamario

Banned
Lots of good suggestions. You certainly need to start in the 80s. Don't forget The Young Master along the way.

Top Bottom