• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview: James Cameron Avatar 2 2018 release Unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling it's going to be Howard Shore.

Cameron hasn't worked with Silvestri since 86. In Cameron's close ties with Jackson and Weta, I somehow see Shore coming in.

I would love something out of left field though. Like Joe Hisaishi lol.

Schlorgan

Yeah, Verbinski is in director jail because those last two Pirates movies were very not good, and The Lone Ranger was also very not good (although a little better, at least).

Rango seems to be forgotten, but that's because for whatever reason nobody wants to count animated films as "real movies" or whatever. Shit happens to Spielberg, too. Like, Tintin never really gets brought up despite the fact it's probably as close as he's gotten to late '80s Spielberg in a very, very long time.

John Carter was a bland, mostly inert "adventure" that suffered from misguided focus from the start, and that came through in the finished filmmaking. (Why the movie wasn't called Princess of Mars and focused on her, making John a 2nd lead/supporting character, I don't know. But I can't imagine that streamlined focus wouldn't have helped that thing, because spending all that time with Taylor Kitsch and his flatlined story arc certainly didn't help)

Tomorrowland was just bad.

That stuff is only fondly looked-upon in hindsight. Their movies of last year were part of their "assembly line" production strategy but were way higher quality than stuff like Lone Ranger or John Carter.

That stuff is only fondly looked-upon in hindsight. Their movies of last year were part of their "assembly line" production strategy but were way higher quality than stuff like Lone Ranger or John Carter.

Lol fuck that. Lone Ranger and John Carter , despite their flaws (and lone rangers token Verbinski drawn out length is a big one no doubt) were far more enjoyable films to me than everything live action disney has put out in a while aside from Star wars Force Awakens

Nobody else directing at Disney (including marvel) can do setpieces like gore Verbinski. That train scene was a thing of beauty.

I hope Cameron hires Howard Shore for the avatar sequels.

hyp3rlink

Avatar was one of the worst (underwhelming) big-budget movie I saw in theater...so, I surely don't care about the sequels but I find it puzzling that there are folks still interested in this franchise!

Falchion

The film industry? We will have 5 Star Wars movies since Avatar before the second. About 400 Marvel movies. What, like 6-8 X-Men films? A bunch of Harry Potter movies. A bunch of fast and the furious films. The entire hunger games series...etc

How is that slow.

Unless you're a mega-franchise that has a pipeline of fast-tracked movies like those, it can be gratingly slow. I mean how many false starts do movies have where a script gets written, a director is selected, etc only for it to run into a dead end, detour into development hell, and then reappear years later with a different script and filmmakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom