• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview: James Cameron Avatar 2 2018 release Unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This one's actually already being made though.

It's not. >:

I forgot which website it was but they had an interview with an ex-Valve employee. They said that the only time things get done in Valve is if someone has a good idea for a new project, make some headway and if Valve likes it, they might go ahead and add more people to that project. They said that multiple people had tried to start Half-Life 3 but it never got far and now no one has tried anymore.

China alone would cause Disney to blink. Not to mention that Star Wars will be the somewhat oversaturated property come 2019.

Even if Episode 8 is amazing and hypes people up for 9, 9 is still gonna be some factory-line, Trevorrow-directed affair in the path of a James Cameron movie.

It's been nearly ten years, but I still don't understand why Avatar inspired so much faith in you. Yeah it made bank. We all know it did. But the only reason I haven't forgotten it is because it was such a disappointment coming from Cameron. Also, hating on the factory like approach from Disney is kind of funny considering how extremely Disney like Avatar's story was.

kevin1025

Banned
what's wrong in there though? Trevorrow is garbage. no james cameron movie since piranha 2 has been worse than jurassic world.

we should lament that he was given the reigns to the last movie of the new star wars trilogy.

Safety Not Guaranteed was fairly good, for me at least. As for Jurassic World, I don't think it's godawful, it's rather a big, dumb popcorn movie and knows it. There's absolutely a huge number of flaws in there, but there's a lot worse out there.

I don't know what will happen with Trevorrow and Star Wars. But with Rogue One, for better or worse, they brought in help when they needed it. Maybe Rian Johnson will hop in there if the going gets tough during post.

But absolutely, Cameron's output is on a different level in comparison!

Safety Not Guaranteed was fairly good, for me at least. As for Jurassic World, I don't think it's godawful, it's rather a big, dumb popcorn movie and knows it. There's absolutely a huge number of flaws in there, but there's a lot worse out there.

I don't know what will happen with Trevorrow and Star Wars. But with Rogue One, for better or worse, they brought in help when they needed it. Maybe Rian Johnson will hop in there if the going gets tough during post.

But absolutely, Cameron's output is on a different level in comparison!

Wasn't JJ fairly restrained and victim to by-committee politics bs while making Force Awakens? I'm skeptical even Rian's voice is going to shine in VIII. For that reason I'm worried less about Trevorrow's involvement.

GCX

what's wrong in there though? Trevorrow is garbage. no james cameron movie since piranha 2 has been worse than jurassic world.

we should lament that he was given the reigns to the last movie of the new star wars trilogy.
It's not like Star Wars is known for its high-profile directors though. I mean how many of us even remembers who directed Return of the Jedi?

It was Richard Marquand

ZeoVGM

Banned
what's wrong in there though? Trevorrow is garbage

The internet hyperbole and vitriol towards Trevorrow is getting old. The guy has two major movies under his belt. One was Jurassic World, a movie with above average reviews that audiences loved. The other is Safety Not Guaranteed, which is at 90% on RottenTomatoes.

There is zero reasoning behind calling him "garbage" other than "I didn't like Jurassic World." There is also not nearly enough there to call him a great director either. But my god, could we stop acting like the guy is Uwe Boll?

Honestly, I'm am not shocked. At this point, I question if Avatar 2 will ever come out during my lifetime. It's one of mystery's greatest secrets.

The guy has two major movies under his belt. One was Jurassic World, a movie with above average reviews that audiences loved. The other is Safety Not Guaranteed, which is at 90% on RottenTomatoes.

god damn, never mind. audiences loved jurassic world. maybe I don't think he's so bad after all.

kevin1025

Banned
Wasn't JJ fairly restrained and victim to by-committee politics bs while making Force Awakens? I'm skeptical even Rian's voice is going to shine in VIII. For that reason I'm worried less about Trevorrow's involvement.

I don't know how the Star Wars set-up worked, honestly. I remember reading there's a writer's room, but then JJ and Kasdan wrote VII from Arndt's script. I don't know who did what or where things went from those tidbits, though.

You could be right about Johnson, since there was the delay and the punch-up to (paraphrase) add more of the VII characters that were loved (which could potentially mean his original script was changed a decent amount). But as a huge fan of his films, I'm holding hope his movie shines out of the bunch.

Pluto

waiting for the entire sequel trilogy to pass by so they can have that december slot all to themselves
You really think they're gonna stop with episode 9 if the star wars movies keep being successful? Episode 10 is coming december 2021. ;)

I think you missed the point.

you're throwing Rotten Tomatoes percentages at me like it's supposed to matter. tbh I really do think his movies are garbage, what's wrong with thinking that? he's only made two films so far, neither of which I found to have any merit. it's not like they would improve with a re-evaluation or something as if they were diamonds in the rough. I don't watch Uwe Boll movies so I don't have that as a frame of reference either.

anyways, sorry for going a bit too off topic with this. its always avatar --> money --> who cares about avatar --> star wars lol

kevin1025

Banned
The other thing is once VIII is out, Disney looks to be putting Star Wars back in May. Solo is May 25, and the tentative Episode IX date is May 24th, I believe. IX starts shooting in the summer, so it may not move unless there's major script issues.

So Avatar will not have as big a fight ahead.

I don't know how the Star Wars set-up worked, honestly. I remember reading there's a writer's room, but then JJ and Kasdan wrote VII from Arndt's script. I don't know who did what or where things went from those tidbits, though.

You could be right about Johnson, since there was the delay and the punch-up to (paraphrase) add more of the VII characters that were loved (which could potentially mean his original script was changed a decent amount). But as a huge fan of his films, I'm holding hope his movie shines out of the bunch.

Same, as long as we get some Brick-noir dialogue I'm good :p

It's been nearly ten years, but I still don't understand why Avatar inspired so much faith in you. Yeah it made bank. We all know it did. But the only reason I haven't forgotten it is because it was such a disappointment coming from Cameron. Also, hating on the factory like approach from Disney is kind of funny considering how extremely Disney like Avatar's story was.

Movies don't make almost 3 billion and have huge legs and repeat viewers without having word of mouth. The movie also broke records when it released on DVD so there was still interest after release.

I agree that it feels like avatar hasn't had the same impact as other big movies/franchises and I rarely hear anyone mention it (really only in threads like this on GAF). I think it's a dangerous game to discount it though. Just because people aren't vocal about the movie doesn't mean they wouldn't come back for the next one.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm just having a really hard time reconciling

A) My love for Cameron
B) How utterly flat and unengaging I found the characters and story in Avatar
C) How much money Avatar made
D) What a large commitment four sequels back to back is and why thats leading a standalone decent sequel release to be pushed back multiple years in a row now.
E) How visually Cameron is a stunning director and has pulled some of my favourite effect shots of all time, coupled with how I found Avatar technically impressive but definite 'Cartoony' CGI territory.

It's such a weird franchise for me to get a handle on.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I don't know why people think Disney wants to keep SW in December. They will be thrilled to get it into the May slot and stick there.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't know why people think Disney wants to keep SW in December. They will be thrilled to get it into the May slot and stick there.

Why would they be thrilled about that? They've now done amazing two Decembers in a row.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
They've got plenty of other movies for that May slot. Make Star Wars a Christmas tradition.

Star Wars is already a May tradition and they need to get it back there. Cameron can have Christmas 2019. Or whenever he finally gets these forced unnecessary sequels done.

Star Wars is already a May tradition and they need to get it back there.

for sure, but the beauty of december releases is that there's less big blockbusters targeting the same people getting in your way.

these days in may you can't throw a rock without hitting like 3 other 200+ million dollar movies all going after the same audiences.

Every Avatar thread.

Like fucking clockwork.

Glad to be on time.
(unlike Cameron)

But seriously, as someone who found Avatar 1 enjoyable enough, I'll still kinda feel bad for the dude if he creates all these sequels that don't end up holding up after all these years since the first. At this point I'm mostly just eager for Avatar 2 to come out, so we can start counting down to Avatar 3 finally.

But I'm also sure the sequel to the biggest film of all time in which they have a vested stake in will make Disney consider moving Ep9.

In the end, I think this is the reason Disney considers moving (and I'd bet they more than consider it, they do it). With the theme park, Disney now has a vested interest in Avatar doing well, and it would be stupid of them to attempt to purposefully cut it off at the knees. Avengers: Post-Infinity War is May 2019, Avatar 2 possibly/probably Dec 2019, Star Wars Ep 9 is May 2020.

Litan

In the end, I think this is the reason Disney considers moving (and I'd bet they more than consider it, they do it). With the theme park, Disney now has a vested interest in Avatar doing well, and it would be stupid of them to attempt to purposefully cut it off at the knees. Avengers: Post-Infinity War is May 2019, Avatar 2 possibly/probably Dec 2019, Star Wars Ep 9 is May 2020.

Oh, yeah...forgot about that.

duckroll

Star Wars is already a May tradition and they need to get it back there. Cameron can have Christmas 2019. Or whenever he finally gets these forced unnecessary sequels done.

Disney doesn't give a crap about tradition. Marvel is the new Summer tradition.

I'm not sure on how big the Avatar sequels are going to be, unless there is a big technical marvel attached to it.

I remember that what drove a lot of people I personally know into seeing it, was 3D. It was the first of it's kind in that regard. Is Avatar's HFR going to be as big a deal as 3D and is it going to be even used anymore?
Sure it's an established franchise now that made a billion dollars, but is franchise familiarity without another gimmick enough to pull the same crowd again? I'm sceptical.

Caboose

giphy.gif

fucking DECEMBER 2019 now smh. since there's no way these movies aren't gonna be december tentpoles.

Dear lord the Na'vi are such awful designs.

bud

it pains me that a magnificent action director like cameron is stuck making abadah films for the rest of his career.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
DerZuhälter;231807174 said:
I'm not sure on how big the Avatar sequels are going to be, unless there is a big technical marvel attached to it.

I remember that what drove a lot of people I personally know into seeing it, was 3D. It was the first of it's kind in that regard. Is Avatar's HFR going to be as big a deal as 3D and is it going to be even used anymore?
Sure it's an established franchise now that made a billion dollars, but is franchise familiarity without another gimmick enough to pull the same crowd again? I'm sceptical.
I'm always baffled that people seem to have so little imagination to not even consider it possible that Cameron will take the Avatar universe and it's story in extremely interesting directions with the sequels.

A) My love for Cameron
D) What a large commitment four sequels back to back is and why that's leading a standalone decent sequel release to be pushed back multiple years in a row now.
E) How visually Cameron is a stunning director and has pulled some of my favorite effect shots of all time, coupled with how I found Avatar technically impressive but definite 'Cartoony' CGI territory.

I think that just about covers everything.

A) My love for Cameron
D) What a large commitment four sequels back to back is and why thats leading a standalone decent sequel release to be pushed back multiple years in a row now.
E) How visually Cameron is a stunning director and has pulled some of my favourite effect shots of all time, coupled with how I found Avatar technically impressive but definite 'Cartoony' CGI territory.

Concerning D and C - I wonder if Cameron himself has a hard time gauging interest for Avatar sequels, and believes he might also get a bigger budget greenlit (aswell as a leaner process of doing the movies) for 5 cumulative releases by leveraging that ridiculously high Avatar 1 box office result, instead of having to renegotiate after one or two. Yeah Avatar 2 will be big. But 2.5 billion dollar big or 1 billion dollar big?

Pluto

DerZuhälter;231808138 said:
Yeah Avatar 2 will be big. But 2.5 billion dollar big or 1 billion dollar big?
I'm not even sure it will make a billion dollars. People watched it because of "OMG 3D, gotta see it!", 3D is now an old hat and neither the story nor the characters were anything special. It will not flop but I think if people expect Avatar numbers from the sequel they'll be very disappointed.

sobaka770

Banned
So are we really excited for Avatar 2?

I, personally, was disgusted by how shallow the first movie was, and hate it with passion, but it seems that even people who enjoyed Avatar (3D! Blue cat aliens! Pretty birds!) seem to become tepid on it.

I have no idea where in this universe is a place for a sequel, not to say 4 more movies....

Gnome

Not the biggest Cameron fan, but I think his Avatar plans are a waste of his talent. Seriously, five movies? Talk about counting your chickens before they hatch. At least cut that down to a trilogy and then evaluate whether the other two are warranted later before committing what is so far set up to be a 30 year project.

Jezbollah

Of course it won't be happening in 2018.

James Cameron has to do his flight training for his trip around the moon.

Parahan

I get nobody is going to use a Colbert'sGiveittomenow.gif but I am a little excited for this . Hope its more than just "Woah 3D is back!" nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom