• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 is 64-bit only - 32-bit apps no longer work (i.e. some games)

Aurizen

Man so that means touch arcade won't work anymore. Which is the greatest app ever. No more notifications when my apps go on discount :(

I've lost a ton of purchased games to iOS updates already. This isn't surprising at all. There's no legacy protection on this platform.

I've also had games I've paid for turn free-to-play with ads and micro-transactions later. I've never considered anything on this platform to be permanent.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'd have a hard time believing you can't see the differences between keeping a smartphone secure and up-to-date in 2017 and buying a new computer, so I'm going to assume that you're being willingly disingenuous.

I'm actually trying to imply that the only way Apple is going to get people to ditch old technology and move forward is to force them to.

And they need to do that because?.... It shouldn't be down to the developer to update something if the platform holder changes stuff.
It's the same problem that Microsoft have. People won't let developers move exclusively to 64bit because reasons this things are not able to progress as fast as they'd like.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The contrast here versus the overwhelming sentiment in all console BC threads is extremely amusing. There is 100% on the hardware makers, yet here it's 100% on software? Come on.

What's even more amusing is that in the early days of iOS people here were hyping it as superior to consoles because of BC.

I'm honestly just considering getting some spare iOS device I can download it to, that's how much I care about it. It's the only official English release, dammit.

I guess I need to look into that, it's gotta be somewhat cheap.

Yeah, it's a shame that it's just going to be lost.

The iPhone 5 and 5s are I think the oldest iPhones that support iOS 10, you could probably pick one up for pretty cheap. Maybe even the latest iPod Touch.

Joqu

The iPhone 5 and 5s are I think the oldest iPhones that support iOS 10, you could probably pick one up for pretty cheap. Maybe even the latest iPod Touch.

Yeah, I'm looking into that last iPod Touch now. Should do the trick if I'm reading this right, hmm...

StereoVsn

I would recommend something line iPad Air, Air 2 or even just the "new iPad".

dalyr95

I don't think people understand that Apple is moving all the chipsets over to 64-bit. There won't be any transistors on the CPU to deal with 32-bit instruction set. It's not a software thing.

Oxymoron

I don't think people understand that Apple is moving all the chipsets over to 64-bit. There won't be any transistors on the CPU to deal with 32-bit instruction set. It's not a software thing.

Well, it's not like the shift to all-64-bit is something that's happening to Apple. It's a choice they're deliberately making for the platform, and people (especially people who are used to the Windows paradigm of the platform maintainer prioritising backwards compatibility first and at all cost) get to disagree that it's the best one.

Mihos

Gold Member

Mother in laws don't care about 64 bit 32 bit stuff, only that her quilting app doesn't work and that was the whole reason she bought an Apple is so she didn't have to deal with all that technical crap

That's a shame, but understandable if you don't want it to get in the way of progress. Regardless, people are being fucking ridiculous pinning this on "lol lazy devs". Doing what is essentially a port of a game that isn't probably making any more revenue is absolutely not their obligation.

Jarsonot

Why don't they update the app?

I think they can (will) update, but they won't be able to do anything like app price tracking due to new submissions for approval needing to adhere to newer terms of service.

So it won't be as good amymore. They've been intentionally holding off.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Terry Cavanagh just patched 3 of his 4 apps for 64 bit support. Their last updates had been in 2014. Good guy Terry.

(the 4th app had already been patched in 2015 so should be fine)

antibolo

Banned
iOS has always been pretty bad at preserving compatibility with unmaintained apps to begin with. This really shouldn't be surprising anyone at this point. It's just not a priority for Apple.

Any app you use that was abandoned by its developer will die on you eventually, not if but when.

Aurizen

I think they can (will) update, but they won't be able to do anything like app price tracking due to new submissions for approval needing to adhere to newer terms of service.

So it won't be as good amymore. They've been intentionally holding off.
I read they won't because it cost too much money. And violates apple policy.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

They've been bounced on updating before for "replicating App Store functionality".

Basically, you can't really have an app that functions anything like the App Store itself, even if it is curated or highlights things in a different way.

So they are stuck not able to update it without stripping out functionality or radically changing how it works.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Has anyone shaken the remnants of Cave to see if they will just let their apps be delisted?

Theonik

Please tell me how apple intends to remove transistors from my iPhone 7. (also lol)

PillarEN

I have one very important question. Will Ghost Trick be affected? Because that game seems to constantly be behind the curve when it comes to iOS update compatibility.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Pardon my ignorance: what is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit apps and OSs? What is the advantage of a program or OS being 64-bit? I've been watching the transition over to 64-bit for years now without really understanding what it means.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I have one very important question. Will Ghost Trick be affected? Because that game seems to constantly be behind the curve when it comes to iOS update compatibility.

Because Ghost Trick has been patched at least once since 2015 that means it does has 64-bit compatibility.

Whether or not iOS 11 breaks something else in the game causing it to need another patch is a different question. ;)

Theonik

Pardon my ignorance: what is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit apps and OSs? What is the advantage of a program or OS being 64-bit? I've been watching the transition over to 64-bit for years now without really understanding what it means.
32-bit apps can only address up to 4GB of RAM. 64-bit is the way forward and iPhone has had a 64-bit SoC for years now. iOS has also long moved on. The problem is that many applications have not made the transition for various reasons and so with apple dropping BC that means they won't work anymore.

emag

In the case of ARM, they're significantly different architectures, bitty-ness aside, with Aarch64 being more modern, efficient, and powerful than Aarch32. You might as well think of it as going from PS2 to PS3, with Apple/Sony removing backwards compatibility four years down the line.

The 4 GB per app barrier can also be broken by moving to a 64-bit architecture, but that's only important for the future.

Ignoring random security and other things, it allows access to more RAM.

But to convert apps, they don't need to do much other than open up the game and recompile it. The problem is anything that old probably has a ton of other legacy issues preventing it from being re-published on the store in the current state, like certain assets have to be updated/added/removed, libraries changed, SSL encryption updated, a lot of that crap.

Keeping stuff on the iOS store is a pain in the ass.

But to convert apps, they don't need to do much other than open up the game and recompile it. The problem is anything that old probably has a ton of other legacy issues preventing it from being re-published on the store in the current state, like certain assets have to be updated/added/removed, libraries changed, SSL encryption updated, a lot of that crap.

The Apple ecosystem seems like an endless chase for a future that never arrives. The mandatory feature you're forced to add today will just become another legacy feature that breaks your compatibility tomorrow.

Oxymoron

I feel Mac users are more used to this? Like I've been on OS X since 2005, and this is the... fourth major compatibility-breaking transition I can think of off the top of my head - PPC->x86, Rosetta removed, Carbon deprecated, and now 64-bit only.

Having it happen to iOS users, a whole lot of who are used to the perma-compability paradigm of Windows, is a lot more disruptive.

It's better than the Android system where you end up with stupidly out of date apps that look like crap. At least Apple try and force apps to use the latest features and look/feel like modern apps on the current OS.

First, how come with the exact same hardware when I upgrade my iPhone to iOS11 I lose access to my apps? It's not like my hardware got changed in the process of an OS upgrade. Thus, for all current hardware it totally is a software thing. Apple can absolutely provide a software solution if they spent the time and resources.

Hell, in Windows 10 they're adding the ability to run x86 applications on ARM... Completely different architectures, but in Windows they can hook everything up behind the scenes with an emulation layer.

Here's a video of them installing 7zip from the dev's website on an ARM machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeOQp5V7EgM&t=4m06s

And, if I recall correctly, the 32/64 bit emulation mode in Windows (WOW64) handles other cases as well, because if you're on an Intel Itanium processor (IA64), those don't have 32-bit compatibility within hardware and thus WOW64 does more of its work in software. Obviously, your standard x86-64 processor can support both at the hardware level. You do lose some performance this way, but at least your damn applications will run.

So again, Apple can absolutely solve this problem if they devoted the time and engineering resources to maintaining backwards compatibility. However, it's quite simply not a priority when they want to simply move forward and because they are completely in control of the ecosystem. Sure, all iPhones moving forward are probably going to be 64-bit only at the hardware level, and it does save disk space and performance to not have emulation be a part of the OS. However, none of those are technical blockers but Apple has shown that backwards compatibility isn't as important to them than other priorities they have.

Eh, it's a bit more complicated than that to move an app to 64-bit than just recompile it. Generally, your own app is not a huge problem (though all of the points you brought up are totally valid and important). When porting, the trickier part is that all of the dependent libraries need to be 64-bit. It can be a deal breaker, especially if a library you were dependent on is no longer updated or has a 64-bit version available. Once you go switch around your underlying libraries, that's where things can start getting really funky real fast. And obviously depending on the complexity of your app, with memory layout and patterns being different, that can always expose issues which may have gone unnoticed for years. Then there are all of the other issues you brought up, which are certainly a PITA and can totally be a detriment when it comes to a developer who may decide just to leave their app behind than deal with that.

Theonik

It's not always as simple as recompiling. Every component of the application needs to be re-compiled in 64-bit and some applications, use 3rd party libraries that might only have been licensed as binaries or only available as 32-bit binaries. They would have to replace those binaries somehow that might mean significant re-writes. Also for games, you might have a lot of code that is doing some funky (but performant) stuff that might break from the subtleties of 64-bit or you might expose existing bugs.

It's better than the Android system where you end up with stupidly out of date apps that look like crap. At least Apple try and force apps to use the latest features and look/feel like modern apps on the current OS.
I have several applications on my iPhone that don't support retina properly or more commonly not the @3x scale on the plus devices...

I have several applications on my iPhone that don't support retina properly or more commonly not the @3x scale on the plus devices...

Yeah Apple really sure require devs to support the bigger screen resolutions by now, the 6 and 6+ came out ages ago.

I've lost a ton of purchased games to iOS updates already. This isn't surprising at all. There's no legacy protection on this platform.

I've also had games I've paid for turn free-to-play with ads and micro-transactions later. I've never considered anything on this platform to be permanent.
Same here, it's why I refuse to spend more than $1-2 on iOS games today and in total spend less than 10% of what I used to a few years ago.

I just hope all my Cave shmups will eventually be ported. Loosing those would hurt the most.

ffvorax

This remember me when there was the change from Windows 32-bit to 64-bit and the outrage...

I don't like Apple, at all, but in this case I don't blame them for that decision... but for sure there should be a BIG warning before the update of the OS to let people now that. So that everyone can choose if do the update or not. Also an automatic list of apps owned that will became not compatible would be a good thing.

emag

Yeah Apple really sure require devs to support the bigger screen resolutions by now, the 6 and 6+ came out ages ago.

But then I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I think Broken Hope meant "Apple really SHOULD require devs to support the bigger screen resolutions by now".

And Apple does require higher resolution support (since 2012/2013 for Retina, more recently for iPhone 6/+, which is less than 3 years old), just like Apple requires 64-bit support (recommended since 2013, mandatory since 2015). However, old apps haven't been delisted or otherwise removed from the App Store; Apple's finally doing so now, and look at this thread full of complaints.

Theonik

I think Broken Hope meant "Apple really SHOULD require devs to support the bigger screen resolutions by now".

And Apple does require higher resolution support (since 2012/2013 for Retina, more recently for iPhone 6/+, which is less than 3 years old), just like Apple requires 64-bit support (recommended since 2013, mandatory since 2015). However, old apps haven't been delisted or otherwise removed from the App Store; Apple's finally doing so now, and look at this thread full of complaints.
That's not what his first post was about.

low-G

This remember me when there was the change from Windows 32-bit to 64-bit and the outrage...

MS depreciated 16-bit, not 32.

And I dunno if I said in this thread but this is a fucking outrage. There are several apps which do not yet have a suitable replacement that Apple is about to wipe out. *posting from the last iPad ever to have a headphone port, which is also sad*

RM8

As an iPhone owner, I disagree. I'd rather not lose access to apps that have ceased being updated. Especially games! Those actually cost money.

People shouldn't be too shocked. When they switched to Intel processors they were like "99% of old software in incompatible, but we're making up for this by making sure the next full number update (which of course is paid) is the first update that works on our new systems. Some programs will be left behind those are stupid dumb programs from stupid dumb companies so who cares?!"

People fussed and a decade plus later when we're removed from it we can see that it meant literally nothing for Apple. I imagine this will be the same. People will complain but nobody will care enough to actually do something tangible like stop using Apple products or hold off on updating immediately.

antibolo

Banned
MS depreciated 16-bit, not 32.

And I dunno if I said in this thread but this is a fucking outrage. There are several apps which do not yet have a suitable replacement that Apple is about to wipe out. *posting from the last iPad ever to have a headphone port, which is also sad*

The new iPad models they announced this week still have headphone ports.

Fuchsdh

This is the reason I quit gaming on mobile. To hell with this.

Yeah it seems like games are really the big loser with this change. We all know the stories of Square's terrible foray into mobile, or the BioShock port, etc. Unless it's a continued revenue game like the Candy Crushes or Monument Valleys, there's not a lot of incentive to update. I've got stuff like the port of Spectre or Marathon I'm sure won't end up working (haven't checked in a while.)

People shouldn't be too shocked. When they switched to Intel processors they were like "99% of old software in incompatible, but we're making up for this by making sure the next full number update (which of course is paid) is the first update that works on our new systems. Some programs will be left behind those are stupid dumb programs from stupid dumb companies so who cares?!"

People fussed and a decade plus later when we're removed from it we can see that it meant literally nothing for Apple. I imagine this will be the same. People will complain but nobody will care enough to actually do something tangible like stop using Apple products or hold off on updating immediately.

Not actually true, in that Rosetta worked with a huge number of PowerPC apps before they got rid of it. There was a grace period of nearly five years before Rosetta was removed in OS 10.7.

But yeah, Apple has given people ample warning with big changes like this.

Top Bottom