• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 is a truly magical piece of shit

I’ve seen a lot of people claiming battery life is much better, closer to normal on iOS 11.1 beta 3+, but who knows for real until the final version is in a wider set of hands. You can join the public beta and try it yourself if you’re anxious. Back up your phone first.

I've been on every beta including this current one and I still have to charge 3 to 4 times a day. If it's better, it's by an almost imperceptible amount. I imagine people saying it's much better are dealing with some placebo and confirmation bias.

cackhyena

I've been on every beta including this current one and I still have to charge 3 to 4 times a day. If it's better, it's by an almost imperceptible amount. I imagine people saying it's much better are dealing with some placebo and confirmation bias.
Naw. In my case it's quite a bit better. Nothing else is really better except the obvious quality of life improvements. It's not any snappier or anything. In fact, I'd say messages is slower. But battery has improved.

Naw. In my case it's quite a bit better. Nothing else is really better except the obvious quality of life improvements. It's not any snappier or anything. In fact, I'd say messages is slower. But battery has improved.

Just today my battery went from 100% to 35% in three hours 45. I used it a good bit on the train to work and on and off throughout the day, but my job's been super busy today and I'd say I've used it notably less than a normal day. I'm on the newest beta, I'm on wifi, my brightness is 75%, I'm not getting an abnormal amount of notifications. So even just idling there, it's burning through battery like mad.

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
tbqh I'm seriously considering going back to Android. The combination of changes/bugs has become somewhat annoying at this point.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yep, it’s not better at all.

AdanVC

Seriously, Apple cannot get away with this, hope they fix all this mess soon. I have never been so dissapointed in an OS update since the Windows Vista days!!

AdanVC

Seriously, Apple cannot get away with this, hope they fix all this mess soon. I have never been so dissapointed in an OS update since the Windows Vista days!!

Now all of then sudden my back camera doesnt work no matter what app, even restarted 3 times, wtffffffffffff
I assume it is, but is this with iOS 11? I haven't upgraded my iPhone 6 from 10 and randomly got that issue a few days ago. Holding the app until you can move it and resetting the phone is a temp fix but it usually breaks shortly after. I wanted to get a 6s soon but I'm nervous after reading about all of these issues. :/

Encountered two more bugs today. Recent call list didn’t update until forcibly closing the phone app.

While on a call today all buttons disappeared and I couldn’t even mute it.

KSai

I wish they didn't dim the lights on the number pad for your security code. It really is an ugly start to my phone.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Completely agree with OP, this is by far the worst time I’ve had with an apple product. Freezes, glitches, and non functioning apps/sections of the screen.

A true Android level fuckup.

Edit: Oh yeah and my battery life has also taken a HUGE hit.

Great job Apple.

Mokujin

Reading this thread makes me think I will never upgrade my 5S from ios 10. I liked the idea of having folders but oh welp.

Davey Cakes

You won't see me storming to Apple with a torch and pitchfork in hand, but yes, iOS 11 has been my WORST experience with an update yet.

I like the interface changes but I was taken aback by how unlocking the phone was impacted. Texting, too, with the glitchy frozen screens and not properly taking me to my most recent text. It's suddenly...shitty. After 7 years of iPhones I'm finally kind of frustrated. This has never happened before with any previous update. I wonder what happened.

TheContact

i like iOS11 EXCEPT for how they handled saving images and deleting certain bookmarks. you used to be able to just hold it down and it would pop up with a save, now it previews it for some reason and you have to swipe to save, and it rarely fucking works. i also HATE when UPDATES REMOVE functionality/features

Doodis

I seriously can't believe how long it takes apps to load now. Just opening up my phone to make a call can have me hanging on a blank screen for 5+ seconds. That may not be that long in the grand scheme of things, but since it used to be seamless it now feels like forever.

I am worried that the X experience will be marred by the enforced OS upgrade. Battery life is paramount. Always was. They may fix it next year but going from a 6 on ios10 to an X and dealing with less battery will be abysmal.

i like iOS11 EXCEPT for how they handled saving images and deleting certain bookmarks. you used to be able to just hold it down and it would pop up with a save, now it previews it for some reason and you have to swipe to save, and it rarely fucking works. i also HATE when UPDATES REMOVE functionality/features

Press softer. That’s 3D Touch being activated.

It’s also not new it’s been around since iOS 10.

lucius

Supposedly the new 11.1 beta helps with the battery issue, I am gonna try it before I just replace my battery.

McLovin

I don’t know if it’s ios 11 but my non-Apple charge cables are pretty much useless. I’m not sure if it’s the update or the actual cables.

Just updated on my company iPhone 6, battery had gone to complete shit. Used to have great standby time, now it's draining several magnitudes faster.

Hoping they have this fixed in a months time when I get my new iPad Pro. A nice stable IOS 11 + jailbreak will do me nicely thanks!

Thriller

- When I put it on speakerphone it doesn't work
- apps take ages
- Safari won't boot up
- Apps freeze non stop

My god this is shitty

Nikodemos

This. Android is great. Stock at least.
Dunno about stock, since I have a Sony phone, but it's been pretty good, SD810 issues notwithstanding.

I would definitely recommend people not switch from 10.3.3 on their older iPhones. Not yet anyway.

A few weeks later I'm back in this thread.

This shit truly is a magical piece of shit.

I am worried that the iPhone X will be difficult to use or adapt to since I constantly have to hit home button when an app is not responsive.

How can a company the size of Apple have such shitty software? This is a serious question

I always wonder if the execs are using a different OS because surely these issues occur on their devices.

Skeletonic

Neo Member
iPhone 8 Plus user. Since upgrading to 11.0.3 i'm in the same boat as a lot of you. Speakers no longer work, and audio will not play through the lightning port (but bluetooth works fine). Constant lag on everything. Cannot reboot or it crashes. Siri does not work at all. I've also had random crashes a couple time that force me to do a full restore.

This has been going on for more than a week.

IMO, unacceptable to have stability be this poor and there not be even a minor hotfix.

Update: I've now had several more crashes while the phone isn't even in use. Plugged in and sleeping and it's still crashing.

I tried to install the public beta software to see if that would help and during the restart it crashed again.

I have a phone I cannot use. Worst experience I've ever had with any device, ever. Ever.

iPhone 8 Plus user. Since upgrading to 11.0.3 i'm in the same boat as a lot of you. Speakers no longer work, and audio will not play through the lightning port (but bluetooth works fine). Constant lag on everything. Cannot reboot or it crashes. Siri does not work at all. I've also had random crashes a couple time that force me to do a full restore.

IMO, unacceptable to have stability be this poor and there not be even a minor hotfix.

They will still say that you are using the “World’s most advance operating system”.

iOS 10 was great

That is the sad part.

iPhone7 here, spotify doesnt show on control panel, only if i reinstall it and restart phone, and then same thing happens. Cant change volume or change song with earpods either, anyway to fix this?

matt360

iOS 11 is fucking garbage. I'm on an iPhone 7+ that I got around launch last year and this update has absolutely destroyed by battery life. Used to go from 100% battery to 70-something % after a day of work, but now I finish around 30%.

Mistake

I feel like my battery life has actually improved since downloading and not installing it. My habits haven't changed, and I'm at 50% after work. Before it was 30%

Zero Hero

Just updated to 11.1 and it does feel a little snappier on my 6S+. No idea on battery life yet, but I didn't really have a issue with it to begin with.

Sapiens

Ive been on the beta for a while, and 11.1 irons a lot of things out. Battery seems fine now - especially on my 6S.

Skeletonic

Neo Member

Update: I've now had several more crashes while the phone isn't even in use. Plugged in and sleeping and it's still crashing.

I tried to install the public beta software to see if that would help and during the restart it crashed again.

I have a phone I cannot use. Worst experience I've ever had with any device, ever. Ever.

I was able to upgrade to 11.1 today and while things seemed to work for 5-10 minutes, I am now back in the exact same boat. I'm beginning to question if this is a hardware and not a software issue, but the problems only started once I upgraded to 11.0.3.

chekhonte

I was able to upgrade to 11.1 today and while things seemed to work for 5-10 minutes, I am now back in the exact same boat. I'm beginning to question if this is a hardware and not a software issue, but the problems only started once I upgraded to 11.0.3.

That's really bad. You aren't being out of line thinking that what you're experiencing is unacceptable. If you can recreate some of the major problems, take it to an apple store. I'm on an 6s plus and though I have problems with ios 11, it's nothing like yours.

Ive been on the beta for a while, and 11.1 irons a lot of things out. Battery seems fine now - especially on my 6S.

I can't wait. I'm getting a lot of just stupid bugs that are annoying. The battery problem is very noticeable on my 6s plus. This happened to me the other day.

H1xWaBW.png

The spring board didn't disappear when I pulled down the notification menu. Nothing was responsive. I couldn't lock my phone or press anything for about a minute and then my phone locked itself and when I opened it the problem was gone. So far I've just been lucky that these types of bugs haven't popped up when I've absolutely needed to use my phone for navigation or an important call but it's only a matter of time until it does.

Nicktendo86

My wife complained that her iphone 7 now has noticeable lag between pressing the shutter button and it taking a picture, it can't be because live photos are now defaulted on as she had them on anyway. It's true, the lag is really bad. Any idea what could be causing the issue?

Also, I really hate the new notification shade. Why can't you just swipe it up anymore to dismiss it? Unless I am missing something of course.

My wife complained that her iphone 7 now has noticeable lag between pressing the shutter button and it taking a picture, it can't be because live photos are now defaulted on as she had them on anyway. It's true, the lag is really bad. Any idea what could be causing the issue?
Just OS update not playing well with a lot of phones. Best use it as you can and wait for an update.

Nicktendo86

Just OS update not playing well with a lot of phones. Best use it as you can and wait for an update.

Maybe 8.1 will improve things. Annoying, she has complained that she has actually missed shots due to the problem.

Edit: I mean 11.1 obviously, not 8.1. Think of Oreo!

Maybe 8.1 will improve things. Annoying, she has complained that she has actually missed shots due to the problem.

Edit: I mean 11.1 obviously, not 8.1. Think of Oreo!
The flip side of widespread issues is that the response is way faster, especially with a company like Apple.

Top Bottom