• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 is a truly magical piece of shit

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
My only real issue is the way Apple decided that turning off Bluetooth and wifi from control centre doesn’t actually turn them off. It just disconnects them from anything they were connected to. You need to manually go into settings to turn them off properly or tell Siri to do it.

Also, my iPad Air and Air 2 really struggle on iOS 11.

aett

6S here. No freezing issues at all. My battery drains a bit faster and I've had occasional bluetooth volume issues. The volume seems lower than it should be, until I get a notification sound (like a text message), which will be at the proper volume and then suddenly the overall volume of whatever I'm listening to will jump up to the correct level.

Initial version was really shitty on my 6s. The small updates have helped, but I def. feel like my battery is draining much faster. Also the keyboard takes a bit too long to pop up.

Overall the worst part of the OS on my 6s is that it's far less responsive.

I'm having issues on my 6S of not getting text message notifications, and there now seems to be some issues with continuity and handoff with my MacBook. Text messages aren't getting synced as quickly and phone calls are not coming through. Not sure if that is an issue with High Sierra, iCloud, or what.

Yeah I don’t really get this update. Barely anything in terms of user facing features/improvements and yet my 6 Plus feels probably twice as slow as it did in iOS 10. Like the person above me said, the keyboard takes forever to pop up, the iOS animations that were already slow are even slower. Pretty annoying.

MicH

I've only experienced one issue on my 6: sometimes my apps don't update properly. I have to delete and reinstall them to get the updated version which is extremely annoying. Seems to happen with games in particular.

Otherwise I've had zero issues which is almost impressive since the 6 is getting pretty old.

grumble

Yeah I don’t really get this update. Barely anything in terms of user facing features/improvements and yet my 6 Plus feels probably twice as slow as it did in iOS 10. Like the person above me said, the keyboard takes forever to pop up, the iOS animations that were already slow are even slower. Pretty annoying.

Yeah, but don't you feel like upgrading now?
$$$$$ for Apple to push older models into obsolescence

platocplx

Yep. My whole phone just started to have apps not wanting to launch or anything. I had to do a whole clean install and now i dont know if i can restore anything from icloud.

Several bugs on my 8 pus:

1) gets stuck in wrong rotation
2) screen goes black when I try to take a photo directly in messenger app and switch to landscape (may be related to 1)
3) music controls on lock screen dont respond on multiple apps.

Oppo

Only thing I've noticed on 6S is the bluetooth acting a bit flaky with a Garmin Fenix. nothing an on/off cycle didn't fix though.

grumble

It's true that processors aren't deliberately hobbled - it is also true that new OS are more processor intensive and the benefits to older devices aren't clear. There is a difference between forcing obsolescence by crippling hardware (which may be illegal) and putting in OS features that crimp perceived performance by taxing them unnecessarily.

I have the same issues, none of which I had during the damn beta. The issues started after the stable release came out.

Currently on 11.1.2 beta and it's somewhat better but most of things still occur daily. iPhone 7.

3) music controls on lock screen dont respond on multiple apps.

This one was fixed for me in either 11.0.2 or 11.1.

I have the same issues, none of which I had during the damn beta. The issues started after the stable release came out.

Currently on 11.1.2 beta and it's somewhat better but most of things still occur daily. iPhone 7.

This one was fixed for me in either 11.0.2 or 11.1.

Okay good because that's the most annoying one of the 3 for me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I just moved to an iphone 8 plus because 11 basically wrecked my OG 6.

Issues with OS 11 so far - weird inconsistent little bugs and Carplay is still an unpredictable shitshow, especially, weirdly, the streaming music apps. All of them.

Audette

Just wanna add my two cents, as I seem to be in the minority. I have a iPhone 6 and have no problems with it freezing, crashing or shortening my battery in a noticeable way.

That said, the new controls for video playback while nice they poorly placed on iPad. (Can’t speak for how it is on iPad as I have a 10.5 pro and it’s awesome).

burgerdog

iOS 11.1 Beta on 6S+ = Horrible
iOS 11.0.2 on 6S = Just as bad.

This is the first time I have ever felt like I made a mistake upgrading the OS.

iOS11 is easily the buggiest version of iOS I've ever used. The hard locking and crashes started for me a few betas in and it has never been fixed. It's awful.

Yesterday my home button stopped working except to bring Siri up. Single tap, double tap both unresponsive. Had to ask Siri to change apps and try to Backdoor the phone into working again. Wasn’t successful so I did a hard reset.

Lucius86

Banned
Definitely buggy. Application crashes, weird watch OS workout sync issues, plenty of frame drops, poorer battery life.

It's not horrific, but definitely a step down from iOS 10. iPhone 7 here.

Doodis

6S+ here. OS 11 zaps much more of my battery and seems buggier.

Also, WTF happened to Apple's podcast app? You now have to click into each individual podcast, then press the tiny play button to get started, whereas before it was one click to play. Not only that, but it doesn't auto-start the next podcast like a playlist anymore. Terrible.

6S+ here. OS 11 zaps much more of my battery and seems buggier.

Also, WTF happened to Apple's podcast app? You now have to click into each individual podcast, then press the tiny play button to get started, whereas before it was one click to play. Not only that, but it doesn't auto-start the next podcast like a playlist anymore. Terrible.

The new podcast app has gotta be someone ducking with us. It’s literally the worst part of iOS 11

Magnus

Kind of glad I held off this time, as a 6S owner. I'm usually an early adopter. How do they get this shit so wrong?

(Or am I guilty of hanging on to an outdated model at this point....)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Kind of glad I held off this time, as a 6S owner. I'm usually an early adopter. How do they get this shit so wrong?

(Or am I guilty of hanging on to an outdated model at this point....)
Still being sold by Apple and has the same amount of ram as the just released 8. The 6S is fine.

parasight

My phone has been locking up several times a day. It ruins the Music display in Control Center and even on the Lock Screen. It requires a full reboot of the phone to fix, only for it to freeze up again a few minutes later. Easily the most frustrating iOS to date.

It's generally fine for me, except at least once a day, a webpage in Safari freezes and requires force closing the app and restarting it. That never happened before. And, yeah, battery life SEEMS noticeably, but not substantially, less than before.

As a Homekit user, the updated Control Center was worth it, and I'm in the silent majority in actually liking the Podcasts upgrade. Plus, the changes for the iPad were absolutely worth the pain points.

I really hope 11.2 or 11.3 fix the annoying bugs, though.

My battery drains like crazy and the podcast app is now worse than the last version, which i didn't think was possible

Edit: I see a few posts above that I'm not alone. How could they fuck it up so badly?
I guess I shouldn't be surprised based on what they did to iTunes

iOS10 - Completely fucked up the UX, adding all sorts of unnecessary extra gestures and taps to do what you want and access information and features quickly. It replaced the smart, clean design of 7-9 with broad, gaudy visual touches practically everywhere. Replaced a lot of functionality by forcing Force Touch in instances where a swipe worked personally fine.

But. It worked alright. Not super glitchy. So there's that.

iOS11 - Still not as inspired, efficient, and logical as 7-9 but it fixes or at least improves upon many of the most egregious choices that went into 10. (The still flawed but more accessible Control Center in particular.) There are some baffling choices here and there, but for the most part its a solid step forward for the UI and UX. (At least on the 8 and below models -- don't get me started on the X...)

But. It's garbage in reliability. Multiple full system crashes per day. Incomprehensible battery drain, even with certain demanding features turned off and Battery Saver on. Often when it's a sleep I can't get it back on. It's not turned off, it just doesn't read most my inputs until it suddenly decides to wake up.

Crazy how unstable this one is. They're stretched to thin with the X, I imagine.

Filth

can i go back and install an older firmware using itunes? this update is making me want to switch to a galaxy phone.

Ryaaan14

Banned
iOS 11 forces automatic brightness adjustment in low power mode. As someone who keeps my brightness at around 30% this is absolute horseshit. I need to preserve my battery better

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i have been consistent that i think post-Jobs Apple are a screaming pile of shit.

I've now seemingly lost access to my icloud photos.
A ton of my songs are missing

and the thing runs like shit.

Great job.

Dehnus

yes, really. no hyperbole here.

I think I have to agree, the meeting I was at yesterday. It had like 5 iPhone users, one of which a HUGE Apple fan. Constantly cursing and even the Apple fan called it "worst update ever!". It seems that there are some major issues with this release and that it should have stayed a bit longer in Beta.

robotrock

Banned
On a 7+. Usually really happy immediately updating to the new OS but fuuuuuck I regret this one hardcore. Worst thing Apple has released in a while.

Roo

Add me to the “It drains my battery like crazy” list.
I have to turn a lot of stuff off to barely make it through my day with a single charge.

seanoff

Haven’t had any of the lock problems but the Podcast app is fucking outrageous garbage.

They need to put the old one back.

And yeah my batteries on the iphone 7 and ipad air2 drain.

Had friends with problems with the music app with losing playlists, randomly stopping during tracks.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I have an iPhone 7 thats about 3-4 months old. Issues with iOS 11 are:

1) youtube videos not always rotating so I need to flick the phone a bit more often. Annoys but not a lot.
2) battery does not last long even with power saving

Otherwise ok. But, I hate the battery issue. I want the same battery performance as before, or some way to prevent the apps or anything from draining it.
Is it because the Wifi automatically restarts? Can I toggle the automated feature somewhere to be totally off if I want to?

Happens on my 6S and 8.

Constant freezing.
Hard locking.
Gotta input a damn Konami Code just to hard reset the device for the 8.
Constant rotation issues.
Message app doesn’t always show the latest message and can’t scroll to see it.

Can’t rhink if anything else at the moment but I wish I hadn’t upgraded. And yes I’m on the latest non-beta firmware.

i keep getting these on a 7plus.

Iphone 7 user here, has anyone experienced the below issues, cos I've been dealing with them post 11. Tried restoring as a brand new phone, didn't help.

-When opening whatsapp and going over a wall of chat that I had missed, i click the arrow pointed down. After reading everything, I hit the whatsapp back button to go back and see the messages from other contacts. When i hit back button, instead of going back, the damn thing starts scrolling up in the current wall of text I am at.

-Youtube when playing in portrait, portrait doesn't go proper full screen mode, instead there's a chunk of blackness on one side.

-The notification screen wallpaper becomes jet black when I am on a whatsapp call and once I am done with a call, when I look back it's still jet black on the lock screen. After a phone restart, problem resolved.

-Battery drain issues are present, but not as bad as it was before I tried restoring the phone.

Top Bottom