• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2014: This reads like paid advertising, narrated by Tom Hiddleston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the usual really. Wave Wave, Super Hexagon and Real Solitaire. A little bit of Final Fantasy V, Minecraft and San Andreas.

Broke my iPhone 5, so sadly can't play Monster Hunter.:(
If you like twitch games, some recent releases you might enjoy:

Rotate - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rotate-a-rotating-world/id899876271
Resize - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/resize-game/id901413302
Zoi - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zoi/id899219346
Avoid Dots - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avoid-dots/id889721877
STIK - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stik/id897961733
Bup - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bup/id697697164
Please Miss - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/please-miss/id893431860?mt=8

I especially like Rotate. It's like Beyond Gravity, but faster and more challenging

Vyer

Oh man, Deep Loot is great so far. Like some weird combination of Jetpack and Impossible fishing, but at a much less frantic pace. Scratches an exploration and unlock/upgrade itch really well. Really easy to pick up and play, perfect for mobile.

And (so far) the IAP isn't intrusive, which means I'll be happy to pick something up (coin doubler) to give back to the devs.

Also got 80 Days for my iPad so I'll try that out today.

Uh so I purchased episodes of The Walking Dead and was charged for it but the game won't recognize that I purchased them and the Restore Purchase option isn't working. What exactly am I supposed to do besides dispute the charge when it appears on my credit card bill?

WoolyNinja

I'm thinking about replacing my 32GB 4th gen iPod touch with the 64GB 5th gen version currently discounted on dabs. Does gaf think this is wise or should I wait until October to see what is announced.

For what it's worth I am not going to get an iPhone.

Could you do an iPad Mini instead or do you like the "put in my pocket" form factor of the iPod Touch?

Li Kao

So what's everyone playing atm?

I'm in a Japanese game mood, and particularly an rpg mood.
So I decided to replay Chaos Rings...
...shit is even more boring than I remembered. Incredibly linear, plot is not bad but writing is generally weak, monotonous to the extreme. Don't know if I will have it in me to do the multiple runs thing.

GeekyDad

Shoot anything that is outlined in bright red or purple, basically. Also, purple buildings and structures contribute to a level's purification percentage (they turn into plant life when hit).

This is the type of game where it will help to learn level layouts, because you will sometimes have to find enemy targets by yourself.

Thanks, man.

sibarraz

Banned
Micromon single player mode is super boring, at the moment I hadn't found any kind of puzzle, is all go from point A to point B. and the game is way easier than pokemon

Micromon single player mode is super boring, at the moment I hadn't found any kind of puzzle, is all go from point A to point B. and the game is way easier than pokemon

I wouldn't say it is easier than Pokemon. You can typically breeze through a Pokemon game by focusing only on your starter Pokemon. The same seems to hold true in Micromon. Trainers also present more of a challenge in Micromon I think, because it is very hard to OHKO an opposing Micromon even with a level advantage. I guess it is easier to grind for XP in Micromon.

sibarraz

Banned
Blazing Star is $.99 right now.

Blazing star had that price for a long time

I wouldn't say it is easier than Pokemon. You can typically breeze through a Pokemon game by focusing only on your starter Pokemon. The same seems to hold true in Micromon. Trainers also present more of a challenge in Micromon I think, because it is very hard to OHKO an opposing Micromon even with a level advantage. I guess it is easier to grind for XP in Micromon.

The trainers are not that hard either imo, I was destroying trainers with 5 micromons at levels close to me with just one of mine who could attack at consecutive times

Also like someone said earlir the confusion status is broken. Also, the world is boring because you don't had may things to do. Heck, even the online multiplayer is bad for me since it takes eons to find a opponent, and if it find it, it will disconnect, and if I win, it will nt count my points within the game (but oddly enough, it does on game center)

Matt Frost

So what's everyone playing atm?

Super Crossfighter, The Other Brothers, Guardian of the Galaxy and Traps and Gemstones, mostly but today I tested a VS between Sonic Dash and Minion Rush to keep one of them, winner is.... yet to be determined... both are as freemium as they come and then even more but Minion Dash is a bit more fun and more fairly structured for the player to succeed.

Edit: And the winner is.... no one! Man those two are grindy and in your face IAP. A huge "meh" to both, but specially to SEGA for not taking the opportunity to make a good game. But Crazy Taxi is even worse. I will stick to Worm Run or Slayin´...

This Crazy Taxi game is shockingly solid and in the spirit of the original (the mix between a lane-based runner and "open world" courses works very well), but holy shit do fuel systems instantly ruin games for me. "Play for ten minutes, then give us money or fuck off for a few hours!" I'd happily pay $10-15 for the full game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Uh so I purchased episodes of The Walking Dead and was charged for it but the game won't recognize that I purchased them and the Restore Purchase option isn't working. What exactly am I supposed to do besides dispute the charge when it appears on my credit card bill?

Is the base 'free' game the same region as the shop you used to buy the remaining episodes?
If you want to be sure, delete the game, download the base game from the same iTunes region shop you used for the IAPs and do a 'restore purchases'.
I had that problem, tho it'd never fixed nor recognized I did buy and paid for 400 days too.
TT games are sly fuckers, worst customers service EVER.

Is the base 'free' game the same region as the shop you used to buy the remaining episodes?
If you want to be sure, delete the game, download the base game from the same iTunes region shop you used for the IAPs and do a 'restore purchases'.
I had that problem, tho it'd never fixed nor recognized I did buy and paid for 400 days too.
TT games are sly fuckers, worst customers service EVER.

Figured it out by googling. I simply had to choose to repurchase and the game then recognized I had payed for it before and so let me download the episodes without having to pay twice.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Just finished Traps N Gemstones... fun game.. super solid gameplay... a bit short though... felt like it needed a 2nd temple to feel "complete".. but what's there is solid and a lot of fun.

It's not La Mulana.. but it is squarely in the Metroidvania genre... upgrades open up other areas, etc.

A must buy at 99c.. a good purchase for 2.99. It's one of those games that I never felt suffered for having touch controls.. as it was obviously built as less challenging because of this. Also, death just means loss of points and instant restart in the room you're in... and it's impossible to get stuck.

One real gripe:

The end sucks... no boss battle.. just you go in a room and the bad guy is already beaten and you get a lame museum and a coin collector... there's not even credits as far as I can tell

If you're looking for a solid little platformer you could do so much worse than this game.

Flunkie

Banned
Micromon needs auto save for when you quit the app and comeback later. Just lost ~30 minutes of grinding due to a phone call and getting on Safari.

That's disappointing to hear about T&G.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Micromon needs auto save for when you quit the app and comeback later. Just lost ~30 minutes of grinding due to a phone call and getting on Safari.

That's disappointing to hear about T&G.

Still it's one of the most polished playing games I've had on iOS, so despite the faults I still recommend playing it.. but honestly waiting for a discount would probably make sense.

Hooked on Sky Force. Other shmups may be more hectic or provide more of a visual spectacle, but none offers such vibrant action IMO. The little details really make the game feel so satisfying. Explosions causing trees to sway. The explosions themselves, all vivid colors and billowing smoke. Planes plummeting into the water. Your ship casting a shadow on passing clouds. Destroyed towers crumbling into debris.

The controls are smooth and responsive. The gameplay is challenging and fluid, and I especially like that you unlock hard versions of each stage. I purchased the doubler, ad remover, and plane generator (and I rarely do that so you know I'm addicted) so progression feels pretty good and I don't mind grinding at all because the core gameplay is so fun. I do wish there was IAP to remove or speed up the upgrade timers.

okno

What's the difference between Super Crossfire HD and Super Crossfighter? I'm confused, because it seems like Super Crossfighter is the same game, but with a different name. When I go to the AppStore, I'm prompted to purchase Crossfighter or I can just redownload Crossfire.

PFD

What's the difference between Super Crossfire HD and Super Crossfighter? I'm confused, because it seems like Super Crossfighter is the same game, but with a different name. When I go to the AppStore, I'm prompted to purchase Crossfighter or I can just redownload Crossfire.

It's the same game re-released under the developer's own name, as they stopped dealing with their previous publisher

So, has Empire been forgotten? I just stumbled onto the game today, had never heard of it before. Saw that it got some impressive reviews when it released. The game is excellent, can't believe I missed it. A blend of so many different genres and somehow it works. Not just works, but works well and has depth and challenge and strategy.

Anyone here still play Empire?

PittaGAF

So, has Empire been forgotten? I just stumbled onto the game today, had never heard of it before. Saw that it got some impressive reviews when it released. The game is excellent, can't believe I missed it. A blend of so many different genres and somehow it works. Not just works, but works well and has depth and challenge and strategy.

Anyone here still play Empire?

If you mean EMPIRE: The Deck Building Strategy Game, I do.

Great and elegant game, that has even much improved update after update.

Furyous

I ran into a game breaking bug in Micromon. My character disappeared in the fire cave at Magma. I'm pissed because I spent 13 hours training the squad.

Where do Ashran roam?

Gripes:
What is the point of pets?
Why doesn't this game give me choice? We should have the option to keep the Ashran from the start of the game.
It's entirely possible to level the first monster they give you into legendary and never lose a battle.

FerranMG

Downloaded most of them. They were all free except the last two.

Rotate is very cool, but lacks polish in the experience. It's too random, and restarting a game is too slow.
It's the one I liked the most, though.

Resize is a nice concept, but played it for 5 minutes and didn't feel the need to keep it installed anymore.

Zoi could have been pretty cool, but threre's a difficulty spike in levels 7 and 8. Particularly, I couldn't beat level 8, not because it's impossible to grasp, but because the controls don't provide enough precision.

Avoid Dots starts too slow and lacks depth, but the idea is good.

STIK is also not bad, but it takes foreeeeever to load each level. I wonder what are they doing in these loading times, I can't think of nothing that justifies them.

Overall, very nice concepts and ideas but, as with many iOS games, there's a lack of depth and polish.
Thanks for the recommendations, I liked trying them!

Li Kao

In the interest of honesty I must say that I quite enjoyed Chaos Rings 1 yesterday. I still stand behind what I said, that the game is very boring overall, with weak (or poorly translated ?) dialogs etc...
Still, and I'm the first surprised as I'm not a grinder, while leveling in anticipation for the possibility I could have the will left to go for the true final boss, I enjoyed myself. There is some really funky maths behind the system, the game is sometimes hard when at lvl 30 vs lvl 30 enemies, and when you begin to level up some more then not even lvl 100 enemies can take you down. Quite strange, and yeah, it was relatively fun.
Still, I could have done with a game that was not a bore-fest.

Let's hope the other iterations of the series are better paced.

Zeth

Still playing Sky Force daily. Great shmup. Maxed every upgrade using just the doubler. I think that's a lot of hours.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Been playing Deep Loot, but the more I play, the more the game seems buggy and runs kind of crappy on my iPad 3. The game has a tendency to slow down a lot with a few enemies/objects on screen, or whenever I do one of those turbo dive boosts. On regular basis the game won't even respond when I try to move the character, forcing me to end my dive (or restart the entire game). Starting to get frustrating, so I'll probably wait for a patch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So how is the save game situation nowadays on iOS ? Do most quality title have kind of cloud save or itunes save export in place ? Its been a while since ive played on iOS and i remember being pissed not being able to somehow save game process when having to format my device.

btw. Secret of Mana is on sale for 3,59 € i think.

SteveWD40

So how is the save game situation nowadays on iOS ? Do most quality title have kind of cloud save or itunes save export in place ? Its been a while since ive played on iOS and i remember being pissed not being able to somehow save game process when having to format my device.

As I understand it now, you can save games to iCloud as part of your backup:

App data is included in the iPad backup. If you are backing up to iCloud, go to Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage, tap the name of you iPad under Backups, then look for the app under Backup Options (tap Show All Apps if you don't see it) and confirm that it is set to On. If it is, the app data will be included in your backup.

I think the save has to be stored in the AppData though.

Li Kao

Hmm, as far as I can tell (meaning don't quote me on it) backing up the idevice in itunes also back up game saves.
That being said, can't disagree, savegame managing is a clusterfuck. Most games offer no solution and you must use file managing softwares, some have icloud support, some have their own cloud, oh lawd.

FerranMG

There's a few games that have cloud saves, but far from the majority.
It sucks.
You can always use a file explorer tool to copy the files, but it's impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom