• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS

Okay, holy shit, Death Road to Canada turns out to be super addicting. I'm not too crazy about all the text and situations while in the car, but when you're out of it and is trying to survive and hold off the zombies it's incredibly addictive. It's all about recruiting people you can trust to your team, managing everybody's equipment, setting their tactic, and increasing their morale, fitness, mechanical finesse and other stats. You need to loot furniture, make sure you got enough gasoline for the car, meat for your hunger. Then you have a ton of different weapons like wooden boards, screwdrivers, hammers, rifles, guns and you need to have enough ammo. You can pick up and throw stuff on the ground, move around objects etc. The controls is also spot on, where you move around with an invisible stick, you attack by pressing anywhere on the screen, and then there's two buttons, one for use, and another for swapping weapons.

Death Road to Canada is legit
The travel stuff is pretty important. Like dont send your annoying asshole team member to negotiate with bandits, it probably wont turn out well.

And the game makes slow zombies scary and intense. You will never have enough bullets. Your weapons will break long before you make a dent in the horde.

heringer

The new iPad is pretty affordable, huh? I'm seriously considering trading my iPad mini 2 for one. Kinda miss the big screen, even though the mini form factor is superior for games.

Pachimari

The travel stuff is pretty important. Like dont send your annoying asshole team member to negotiate with bandits, it probably wont turn out well.

And the game makes slow zombies scary and intense. You will never have enough bullets. Your weapons will break long before you make a dent in the horde.

Yeah I know it's about the travelling, after all, it's about getting to Canada. I didn't negotiate with the bandits, I actually fought them off. Anyway, I'm a martial artist, so weapons like rifles and pistols are useless to myself, so I just give them to my team members.

PittaGAF

I'm more interested in Sunless Sea TBH. And have been spending like crazy as it is so probably will pass on Death Road to Canada.

Oh screw it. I've had a rough couple weeks and just saw I have $20 in Best Buy credit...I'm going to try DRTC.

And, Pitta, I did get Kingdom on X1 and really liking it so far. Need to play it more. So many games...

I bow to your mighty willpower :p

Yeah Kingdom is great. Do know that first 2 islands are just the tutorial/appetizer tough.

PittaGAF

DRtC is $11...in Canada. I've enjoyed most of Rocketcat's games to date but I'll wait for more impressions.

WarHammer Quest was awesome -- I need to pick it back up. Looking forward to WHQ 2!

Actually when I knew about this some months ago I did another hardcore playthrough (a fast one, around 40 hours)....and while the game is still awesome I was surprised how wonderful it still looked.
When you pan the camera you see the light reflecting according to the surfaces it hits (like gold plates different by concrete etc...).
It looks (and I got it confirmed) they are pumping this even more in the sequel (besides all the other obvious enhancements, like the game being fully 3D now etc...).
Still works perfectly, iCloud and all, besides the 'old app' warning.

Oynox

I'll have to wait for reviews and see it in person if the new iPad's screen is still decent enough and if the size and weight increases are noticable. I've got a 32GB iPad Mini 2 which has an older style non-laminated screen and I'm pretty find with it TBH.

And while the Mini does have higher PPI, I honestly want a larger screen because some stuff just seems like it was made with the normal size iPad in mind. Even after having it for years, certain links or buttons just don't press the first time I push them. I also never really use my Mini for videos because the screen is just a little too small for that, unless I have it on the armrest of my couch or something really close to me.

I definitely have to be careful with what I keep installed on my 32GB Mini, but it's not as big of a problem as I though it would be. I still have way more games installed than I could ever play at one time (I've got about 3 folder pages full of games), but whenever I want to download videos for a plane ride or put a big game like KOTOR on it, I need to think about what I want to keep and what I can get rid of.

I guess I have to take a look at it at an Apple Store as well. Usually higher PPI beats larger screen size for me (at least on Nintendo's mobile consoles) but since there are quite some board games the bigger screen certainly would be no bad idea. However I also think the "gaming grip" is much better with the mini though I would play with my Stratus mostly.

Okay, holy shit, Death Road to Canada turns out to be super addicting. I'm not too crazy about all the text and situations while in the car, but when you're out of it and is trying to survive and hold off the zombies it's incredibly addictive. It's all about recruiting people you can trust to your team, managing everybody's equipment, setting their tactic, and increasing their morale, fitness, mechanical finesse and other stats. You need to loot furniture, make sure you got enough gasoline for the car, meat for your hunger. Then you have a ton of different weapons like wooden boards, screwdrivers, hammers, rifles, guns and you need to have enough ammo. You can pick up and throw stuff on the ground, move around objects etc. The controls is also spot on, where you move around with an invisible stick, you attack by pressing anywhere on the screen, and then there's two buttons, one for use, and another for swapping weapons.

Death Road to Canada is legit.

Sounds great. But 8€ is a bit steep for me considering I do not know anything else about the game. I fairly enjoyed Wayward Souls but never completed the first world lol. Their price politic pushes me a bit especially because they want to add MFi support but I fear it won't be enjoyable on my 5S.

awp69

Have we gotten any price point on Sunless Sea yet? Just curious in light of this heavy month of premium gaming (a good thing).

Sounds great. But 8€ is a bit steep for me considering I do not know anything else about the game. I fairly enjoyed Wayward Souls but never completed the first world lol. Their price politic pushes me a bit especially because they want to add MFi support but I fear it won't be enjoyable on my 5S.
Tense zombie action + resource management + choice/stat-driven random events + wacky sense of humor + Rocketcat polish

The touch controls are pretty good

awp69

If you don't have it and don't mind the depressing subject matter, This War of Mine is at an all-time low of $1.99.

Li Kao

Sorry for the redundant question but could anyone post the list of indies app showcased in the last week by days ?
I haven't followed the event that closely and there seems to be new indies left and right.

PittaGAF

By the way they posted in their twitter today some of the modifications done for the iPad touch controls.
Seems all good to me.

PittaGAF

What is their Twitter?

@failbettergames: In the mobile port of Sunless Sea, you won't need to manage your prow light as closely: it no longer consumes fuel!

@failbettergames: The same formidable Sunless Sea achievements will be available through Apple's Game Center

@failbettergames: In the mobile port, once the firing solution has built up, your ship will now autofire, so you can focus on navigating around your enemy

@failbettergames: There are two touch-screen control systems available, which can be switched at any time from the settings menu

@failbettergames: Since you'll be navigating by touch controls, your ship will now have one forward, stasis, and reverse speed (essentially 2, 0, and -2)

Lights no longer consumes fuel? That seems like a big change. Being in the dark causes your crew to go slowly mad, so an important decision if you were low on fuel was choosing between risking sanity versus more fuel to travel

Pachimari

Lights no longer consumes fuel? That seems like a big change. Being in the dark causes your crew to go slowly mad, so an important decision if you were low on fuel was choosing between risking sanity versus more fuel to travel
Yeah, this change does not sound good at all.

So, Death Road to Canada is amazing.

The game perfectly combines action and text gameplay to make a fantastic and hilarious zombie survival game. Having both pieces of gameplay really works well on mobile. The action parts are my favorite but making decisions through the text gameplay offers a good break between those action scenes. Especially when you need to plan what to do next and need to take a moment to assess your team.

Some were saying the controls feel clunky but I'm not feeling the same. The controls are smooth and Rocketcat did the best they could to translate the action controls to touch screens. Maybe a dedicated attack button would help but it is certainly not needed.

Full recommendation from me!

I hope they bring the expansion over in the future. It's awesome
http://store.steampowered.com/app/452530/
ss_0d19300404ad9a3cfb03d593dea510e86631a2ec.600x338.jpg

As for Sunless Sea on iPad, it's really good so far. Controls quite well, with two different schemes and an auto-fire option. The screen doesn't feel cluttered; when though the game is menu-heavy, everything has enough space and works well on touch. And best of all, game seems to be the same visually. All the nice details and atmosphere is there.

awp69

I like Sunless Sea but man the menu driven approach, which I assume is the same on PC, drives you a bit nuts.

I understand that interactions with ports, enemies, etc. make it hard to be purely narrative driven and this isn't the same thing as straight interactive fiction, but it's still kind of unwieldy.

May just take some time to get used to. Ship movement and battle controls are fine.

Pachimari

So since it's Power Rangers day I decided to give the new Legacy Wars a try. It's free after all. It seems to control well, although not as intuitive as competitor Contest of Champions and upcoming Injustice 2. Instead of attacking by tapping and swiping, you have to wait for you meter to fill up and then unleash one of two attacks by pressing their corresponding buttons. They can be combined too. This is a tag game, which means you bring two assists with you into battle who can come in to help you as soon as your meter is full. Since it's a free to play game it makes use of energy rewards, coins and shards just like other games in the genre. This way you can unlock new Power Rangers from across all the shows to well known villains like the new Rita and classic Goldar. Unfortunately after completing the Tutorial you'll be set up against other players online in your League, but there doesn't seem to be many players playing since it takes a long time to find an opponent if any. There's no Story or single player mode as I can see it, although the game is set up with an intro story that explains how you can summon all of these Power Rangers. When you win battles you earn medals and the more medals the higher your League and the more rare Power Rangers to unlock. But if you lose, you'll lose medals and will be relegated. Overall, it seems like a nice fighter for fans alike, and if you're not into Power Rangers you have better choices in the App Store.

awp69

Where is everyone? Off holed up with Sunless Sea and/or Death Road to Canada?

I'm at work :( but curious to read what others think of those two in particular.

PittaGAF

Where is everyone? Off holed up with Sunless Sea and/or Death Road to Canada?

I'm at work :( but curious to read what others think of those two in particular.

Well....personally I'm not interested in DRtC (doesn't help I can't stand zombie setting anymore) but I tried Sunless Sea this morning (on a friend iPad, didn't buy it myself yet...iPad is hostage by wife).

To be honest I felt exactely like you.
Mind you, played it just 1 hours but I didn't love it as much as I thought I would.
I was actually aware of all the story buttons (which work well in Fallen London) because I already knew the PC version...didn't like those in PC but for some reason I thought I would have liked those on iPad.
But apparently not that much.
But maybe it's just me, everything else looked awesome (iPad Air 2).
Tried it on a well lit room too, probably not the best environment to enjoy it.

Meanwhile I'm still drooling over WHQ2 screenshots and playing games bought during the indie event.

awp69

^^ Glad I'm not alone on Sunless Sea. It'll probably grow on me, although with so many other things to play, it's difficult for me to want to go right back to it.

What troubled times we live in with too many games to play. ;)

PittaGAF

^^ Glad I'm not alone on Sunless Sea. It'll probably grow on me, although with so many other things to play, it's difficult for me to want to go right back to it.

What troubled times we live in with too many games to play. ;)

Yeah that's why I stopped even looking around.
I'm not accustomed having too many games due to my strict 'just 1 game' rule that always served me well....but I was caught in the indie celebration hype and got too many games as well.
But I need to stop and concentrate or I feel I'lI just collect great games but I can't really enjoy them.

Almost finished Ticket to Earth, already completed Oxenfree but doing a new run to see....something....and still enjoying Kingdom New Lands and Card Thief.
Next in line will be probably Pavillion and Euclidean Lands.

awp69

I'd say of all the recent releases, Ticket to Earth, Card Thief and After the End are my favorites. Still playing all three (close on finishing AtE, but got pulled away trying everything else).

Keep in mind that I played some of the others on console.

PittaGAF

I'd say of all the recent releases, Ticket to Earth, Card Thief and After the End are my favorites. Still playing all three (close on finishing AtE, but got pulled away trying everything else).

Keep in mind that I played some of the others on console.

Didn't get AtE yet (it's in the to-buy list) but all the titles I got so far during the event (Kingdoms, Ticket to Earth, Oxenfree and Card Thief) will be probably all in my goty list.
Indie celebration thing really spoiled me.
I knew I already loved Card Thief and Ticket to Earth was a nice surprise (pretty sure it will evolve in something even bigger) but Kingdom and Oxenfree were really out of nowhere for me.
I thought I might have liked them but I really didn't expect they grabbed me so much.

Top Bottom