• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2016 | I don't have unlimited money

awp69

Ehhhh, I played Severed for about 2 hours and kinda got bored with it. Is there still a reason to play? The main mechanic was fun but it lasted not so long.

Have to admit that I kinda felt the same way. I haven't gotten back to it after about the same amount of gameplay.

I felt that Severed's combat was pretty smartly designed. The challenge came from time/enemy management, the variety of enemies you face, and optimal use of your abilities. Although for me, the main draw was the art, seeing more of the world and creature design, and the haunting story moments

Pachimari

This is so good!

Ehhhh, I played Severed for about 2 hours and kinda got bored with it. Is there still a reason to play? The main mechanic was fun but it lasted not so long.
Yeah, I haven't seen anyone really talking about it after launch. Probably just launch hype?
I'm kind of glad I skipped on it. I'm just gonna wait on a sale.

I got an email last week about it. I really hope I get in. It looks great.
Yeah me too. Crossing my fingers. But I think there's only 50 spots left, as they have already given out 250.

It looks like we are getting our own "No Man's Sky" with 5 planets in the main story, and 500 millions of planets to explore in the galaxy:

3xOk2Me.jpg

Pachimari

Front cards = The face-up cards across the top play area
Back cards = The face-down cards across the top play area
The enemy's spell in blue text would have turned any attack face-up cards across the top to defense cards. It fizzled because there weren't any attack cards. That spell doesn't affect the cards drawn from your deck.
Thanks for this explanation! Yeah, I found out that the spell changed the attack cards to defense on the face-up ones. I'm starting enjoy this game actually! Only gotten to stage 4 in the first deck. I'm really liking it actually.

This is so good!

Yeah, I haven't seen anyone really talking about it after launch. Probably just launch hype?
I'm kind of glad I skipped on it. I'm just gonna wait on a sale.
Most of the hype came earlier in the year, when it released on Vita
Severed Is A Great Reminder Of How Good PlayStation Vita Games Can Feel
Many reviews praised it as one of the best Vita games ever made

Personally I loved it. It's definitely going to be on my mobile GOTY list this December
Picked this up on iPad, and it's so freaking good. Kind of funny how I had dismissed this at first, probably because I'm so used to mobile games and really tired of Fruit Ninja/Infinity Blade-style gameplay

But holy shit, this is fantastic. The eldritch nightmarish world of grotesque creatures and fleshy flora (fever dream is the perfect description). The memorable juxtaposition of vibrant colorful palette and dark haunting moments (
finding your brother's corpse, having to eat a heart to upgrade your health, etc.
). The dungeon-crawler-style world and exploration, with its mix of light puzzles and RPG elements

And of course, the aspect that had initially turned me off when I first saw gameplay, aka the (awesome) combat. It's so satisfying, from the tense enemy management to the precision needed to take down each enemy. Slicing limbs off never gets old.

Pachimari

Are we doing a mobile GOTY list by the end of the year? I can't remember if we have done it in separate threads earlier or if it was done in one of the monthly threads. I also have some candidates for my GOTY list already.

Are we doing a mobile GOTY list by the end of the year? I can't remember if we have done it in separate threads earlier or if it was done in one of the monthly threads. I also have some candidates for my GOTY list already.
Yes, and separate thread. Going to enforce an "at least 3 games and blurbs" rule this year

Here was last year's
Voting | Results

===

From the LC GO talk, early prototype from when the game still used the board game aesthetic

8WrpLEH.gif

Pachimari

Nice! I'm surely gonna vote this year. Hopefully lots of others will too.

I also just bought Bluk. What a cute little game, and it's so addicting. I haven't really found out how the power-ups work, but it's so much fun having to land on those platforms with an Angry Birds-like slingshot. It looks good too:

awp69

So here's a new gameplay video of Super Senso. It's a spin on Advance Wars and they come to release it soon.

Super Senso

Upcoming game Galak Z has added a mech mode:

Galak-Z

Galak Z is a fantastic game. Have it on PS4. I'll be interesting to see what they changed to make it fit mobile since it has different controls from a normal twin stick shooter.

A mech mode sounds cool. That alone might persuade me to double dip.

My personal list would include Lumines and Neo Turf Masters.

Off the top of my head (and some glances at past threads), my favorites so far would be

Reigns
Circa Infinity
Teeny Titans
Love You To Bits
Blackbox
Imbroglio
RYB
Hyperburner
Severed
Snakebird
Sorcery 4

PittaGAF

I personally can't wait for Galak-Z, it's on top of my wish list of coming PC games along with Stasis, Banner Saga 2 and of course Darkest Dungeon (plus others we don't know...like Oxenfree and many others....).

I was hoping to see it sooner tough...seems it will be 2017 Q1.

EDIT: Forgot Warlock of the Firetop Mountain.

Seems like Epic Games will be at this year's Apple iPhone Event again. New Infinity Blade / Chair Game coming?
Shadow Complex port? Shadow Complex sequel coming to mobile? New Infinite Blade? (I hope not) A new IP? Gears of War GO?

So many possibilities

Edit: Nope, SPYJINX
https://www.epicgames.com/spyjinx/
In a new collaboration of artists from video games, television and film, video game creator ChAIR (Infinity Blade, Shadow Complex), director/producer J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Mission Impossible, Lost ) and Bad Robot Interactive (Action Movie FX) present: SPYJINX.
Powered by Unreal Engine 4, SPYJINX is a unique mix of action strategy gameplay, dynamic world building and RPG character development – all set in a thrilling, treacherous world of espionage. SPYJINX is expected for initial release on PC and mobile in 2016

Pachimari

Seems like Epic Games will be at this year's Apple iPhone Event again. New Infinity Blade / Chair Game coming?
Doesn't make me excited. Unless it's Unreal Tournament, which it won't be. I actually don't expect anything cool from gaming at Apple's event.

Also I'm happy Sony will make a push into mobile gaming but I have no idea which IP's they can use for this platform. Maybe LBP. But I don't want more of those Uncharted runners and Ratchet runners that is on the store now.

Yes, it has great controls.
Cool, one more question, is the base game easy enough to play in bursts? I noticed reviews said that most missions in the game lasted between 10-15 minutes which peaked my interest.

Sony going to make an "aggressive push" into mobile games, in response to Pokeon GO's success
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1273867

I don't have high hopes
I never have high hopes of good mobile games from the big publishers. Though get ready for the inevitable "mobile gaming will actually be good now!" posts.

Pachimari

Oh, Spyjinx. Interesting. Curious about how it'll look on the iPad Pro, and how it'll play if it's a strategy game.

I would love a RTS on iPad. Like World in Conflict or something.

Cool, one more question, is the base game easy enough to play in bursts? I noticed reviews said that most missions in the game lasted between 10-15 minutes which peaked my interest.

I never have high hopes of good mobile games from the big publishers. Though get ready for the inevitable "mobile gaming will actually be good now!" posts.
The only ones who got it right IMO were Square Enix Montreal (the distillation approach) and Telltale/2K (genres appropriate for mobile approach). Ubisoft too, as they've done both, distilling with Rayman and Prince of Persia and choosing smart ports like Valiant Hearts

Pachimari

Do we have any gameplay or screenshots from Spyjinx yet? Or will it have its world premiere at Apple's event?

The only ones who got it right IMO were Square Enix Montreal (the distillation approach) and Telltale/2K(genres appropriate for mobile approach). Ubisoft too, as they've done both, distilling with Rayman and Prince of Persia and choosing smart ports like Valiant Hearts
I think Square Enix have also been great with the ports of Final Fantasy 1-6, 9 and Tactics while also bringing original IP like Chaos Rings 3 to mobile.

PittaGAF

Speaking of great port of great games, considering I loved FFT to death....I wonder why not Tactics Ogre love on mobile.

So will SpyJinx end being exclusive to iOS just like the Infinity Blade games were? If so I'm expecting a lot anger and salt on Wednesday.

I know people hate the F2P-ness of the last Asphalt, but I loved it and still play it (only bought one care pack).

So I'm psyched for this.

As far as GoTY, I need to go back, but right now from recent releases Leap of Fate is definitely going to be there...and maybe Solitarica.
Asphalt 8 is still my favorite racing game on iOS, so yeah I'm excited too

awp69

Asphalt 8 is still my favorite racing game on iOS, so yeah I'm excited too

Yeah and even though it is pretty in your face about IAPs, there's still a ton of content you can play without spending a penny.

And even after a few years, it's still one of the best looking games on mobile with a blisteringly fast frame rate.

Pachimari

I love IAP's. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That Samorost 3 game looks very enticing, very beautiful and something I could probably slowly get into. I started up Machinarium as it seems to be in the same vein - is it developed by the same developer? I don't think so?

I love IAP's. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

That Samorost 3 game looks very enticing, very beautiful and something I could probably slowly get into. I started up Machinarium as it seems to be in the same vein - is it developed by the same developer? I don't think so?
Same developer. He also made Botanicula

Samorost 3 is his biggest game yet. Took six years to make. I recommend it highly

nampad

I thought all Asphalt games I have played so far were shit and pretty much the culmination of things people hate about mobile games.

Pachimari

Have initial thoughts as to whether it's worth clearing space for?
Hmm, so let's see. The first interesting part was actually the settings. How you can cap the FPS at either 30 or 60, and how you can choose between low, medium and high settings in visuals. A restart will apply those settings. The use of the accelerometer to move the rod can also be disabled or enabled.

Anyway, I tried a single game where you can choose between many different venues, the rules and the time. So you start out in this starting zone you see below, the rest of the players are AI controlled. You run out unto the ice and finds a spot you want to drill. This is done from that birdseye view and you tap where you want your character to go; talking about character, the customizations are very limited. When you have found your spot, you tap a button and it'll drill a hole. Here you can choose which kind of food you want at the end of your rod, which rod you want to use and which hook to use; you can buy more items in the shop and coins are earned as rewards. You tap a button and the hook goes down in the water. While waiting, you need to keep away the ice from the water, as the water will eventually turn to ice because of the cold temperatures.

After a while your rod will move, and it's time to tap that rod-icon for it to pull up. And that's it. Rules can be all from catching the most weight, the most, the most different kinds of fish and so on. When time is almost running out it is time to run back to the starting zone for your catch to be counted. The game also comes with Tournament play but I haven't tried out that format yet, and there's no online play.

What I am most disappointed with is the whole tap-tap-tap gameplay. All in all, you really don't have to do much, and I know that goes along with fishing, but it would still be nice if they had added some kind of gameplay element, or at least asked you to do some different movements. The most you can do is move around your rod while fishing. I'm also disappointed in no online play, as this would no doubt be more fun playing against others. So if they eventually add an online mode, there could be potential in this title.

I thought all Asphalt games I have played so far were shit and pretty much the culmination of things people hate about mobile games.
Really? I felt that at least Asphalt 8 had some of the best arcade racing on the platform. Solid tracks, good sense of speed, good controls, aggressive racing, a ton of post-release support, and you aren't limited by energy or fuel or any kind of timers

Top Bottom