• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Shaneus

Thread's locked. Guess if the "new news new thread" thing didn't count for a PC 7.1.1 j/b, it doesn't for OSX, either.

Someone also asked in that thread if it's worth upgrading now. Personally I would, given that it's rumoured 7.1.2 is coming out in a matter of days and we don't know if anything's been fixed (exploit-wise) or not. That's unlikely, but not at all worth risking IMO.

zychi

Banned
Besides pirating apps and a few theme tweaks, whats the benefits of the jailbreaks now? I got rid of the last jailbreak to try out ios8beta. Just curious why jailbreak for ios isn't saved for the ios8 actual release?

Shaneus

Just curious why jailbreak for ios isn't saved for the ios8 actual release?
This particular one used an exploit which took advantage of an illegal/pirated Apple security certificate (or something). So none of the bigger/mainstream jailbreak groups would touch it otherwise legal action would surely be taken by Apple. As far as exploits that could be burned, this was a good one for them to take advantage of.
Also, this particular exploit was discussed by i0nic (a jailbreak dev) at a security summit a few weeks ago... so it was fairly widely known at this point and likely would've been patched for the full release of iOS8 anyway. There are apparently other ones which are not public for us to enjoy in the future :)

HUELEN10

Thread's locked. Guess if the "new news new thread" thing didn't count for a PC 7.1.1 j/b, it doesn't for OSX, either.
No, I actually requested it to be locked. Apparently, it installs a pirate app store regardless of you not selecting the option for it, and even having the option might violate TOS.

Here's hoping for a legit jailbreak to come out next time.

No, I actually requested it to be locked. Apparently, it installs a pirate app store regardless of you not selecting the option for it, and even having the option might violate TOS.

I don't have anything but Cydia.

Enzom21

I was talking about the first version of Pangu. It installed PPsync even if you unchecked the box for the pirate app store.
It can be removed following these instructions:
http://modmyi.com/content/15296-how...os-7-1-1-device-after-jailbreaking-pangu.html

For what it's worth, I have seen no mention of the current English version doing the same.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Even aside from the jailbreak... The latest firmware is really good! Really fixed speed and performance. It's like a whole new phone.

Don't drag your feet jailbreakers. Get the latest firmware, jailbreak it with pangu. You will be glad you did.

Gotcha. Maybe this? I just googled it, not sure if it's what you're looking for or not. But I might get it for my iPad as well.

That's what I was looking for, thank you! I tried to use an older tweak I've been using on my first gen. Ipad, called something like "NoLockScreen" but it hasn't been working since iOS 6 and was never updated either.

If it works on iOS 7(.1), I might even finally upgrade vom iOS 6.1!

Shaneus

That's what I was looking for, thank you! I tried to use an older tweak I've been using on my first gen. Ipad, called something like "NoLockScreen" but it hasn't been working since iOS 6 and was never updated either.

If it works on iOS 7(.1), I might even finally upgrade vom iOS 6.1!
I'll test it and let you know, my iPad 3 is running 7.1.1. Doesn't guarantee it'll work on 7.1.2, but still... better than nothing.

Edit: It says it'll only show the lockscreen if there's a pending notification. So as long as you turn notifications off, you should never see a "slide to unlock" screen again! There weren't any notifications about "incompatible device" in Cydia, so we might be good.
And it works! You *very* briefly see the lockscreen, but it goes straight to the home screen automatically after a fraction of a second. The only place I saw the lockscreen stay there was when there was a "No SIM installed" message. Once that cleared, it was fine. It's on the bigboss repo, but if you add the one in that article, it has an even newer version (not sure what the difference is).

iLLmAtlc

You guys know there's a free tweak called youtubed that enables background play for the YouTube app? Chrome has been doing it but pretty neat to have it on the app too

My OG iPad runs slow as shit on iOS 5.1.1. Was hoping to be able to downgrade it to see if it'd run faster, but something about not having the correct blobs saved prevents me from doing so. Any other tricks or extensions I could find to optimize Safari? It likes to crash on anything remotely media-intensive. I know the limited amount of RAM is a big reason for that, but any stopgaps would do.

Blackhead

Redarse
My OG iPad runs slow as shit on iOS 5.1.1. Was hoping to be able to downgrade it to see if it'd run faster, but something about not having the correct blobs saved prevents me from doing so. Any other tricks or extensions I could find to optimize Safari? It likes to crash on anything remotely media-intensive. I know the limited amount of RAM is a big reason for that, but any stopgaps would do.

Dynamic_Pager. I'm not recommending just passing along information. Use that site at your own risk. goood luck

Pachimari

Thanks. I only need to do one thing now, and I'm having a problem.

How do I move my files from iFile to my desktop?

EDIT:
I found out how to do it.

Pachimari

Sorry for double-posting, but my iPhone 5 is now endlessly rebooting with the circle looping all the time. What can I do to fix my phone?

Hard reboot won't work as my sleep/wake button doesn't work. Is all I can do, wait for it to run out of battery and then boot it up and holding the Volume Up button?

Erebus

I'm on iOS 7.1.2 at the moment. If I jailbreak my phone now, will I be able to update directly to iOS 8 when it is official released?

I'm on iOS 7.1.2 at the moment. If I jailbreak my phone now, will I be able to update directly to iOS 8 when it is official released?
You can, but it's better to restore first.

I remember upgrading my PSP's firmware not knowing that it was still on CFW, and was so pissed when it automatically bricked as a result. Imagine how many complaints from unwitting upgraders Apple would get if iPhone worked the same way :p

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I guess I'll update my 4 to 7.1.2 then. Can't wait to get rid of it for something else come September though, whether that's for an iPhone 6 or Android. I'm getting to the point where I don't use a lot of apps on my phone these days and the ones that I do tend to be on both OSes, but I don't know whether that's down to the phone running slowly so I'm not using it much. Plus I got a Nexus 7 which has replaced it for general browsing.

Z..

Fuck PKG Backup. FUCK IT HARD.

Both times I attempted to use it, it's a fucking miserable failure! The first time when upgrading to ios7 a while back it error'd out halfway through and didn't work... this time it instantly and automatically did a new backup as soon as I started up the app which deleted my "good" backup.

Who the fuck is responsible for such horrible design decisions? Seriously, fuck these guys. FUCK THEM.

dark_chris

I jailbroke my iPhone for the primary purpose where when someone calls, i want their pic to fill up my screen.

Anyone got recommendations? I am using the iOS 7.1.2 version. :)

Shaneus

It's about time something like this came out!
EqualizerEverywhere
I present to you the next breakthrough in the jailbreaking world: an equalizer that applies to every app. Yes. Every app. Every single one.

Spotify, iFile, Music, Panamp, Fratmusic, Soundcloud, YouTube, Rdio, 8tracks, and Pandora are a small fraction of apps that this is compatible with. This works with every single music app available on the App Store and on Cydia. This tweak does not discriminate. It's literally everywhere, hence the name. Even phone calls are equalized.

Features:
Aesthetically appealing UI
10 bands
Preamp
Presets
Control Center access (swipe left on music controls)
Auxo 2 access
Settings access

Compatible with:
iOS 7.0.x and 7.1.x
Auxo 2 (see last screenshot)
CCLoader
InsomniaScreenX
Auxo 2

Common concerns:
It does not drain battery or eat up CPU or RAM.
I will do everything in my power to get this working on iOS 8 once it is out.
Through limited testing, I have not been able to blow my speakers out with this, even by turning everything all the way up. Though I will still put a disclaimer.

Disclaimer:
I am not responsible if you damage your speakers by using this tweak.
equalizereverywhere1.jpg

So you swipe the media player to get that screen. And it applies across the whole of the iOS. Can't wait to play with it! Finally *controllable* EQ in the stock music app. $3US

Boney

Banned
So I'm pretty stupid about this stuff but I'm still using iOS 6 on my iPhone 4, but compatibility with certain apps is lagging behind so I thought I should just take the plunge and upgrade to iOS 7.

I'd still like to keep the jailbreak, so how do I go around doing it? Upgrade regularly and then jailbreak again?

Nvm, I'm all updated now

Anyone happen to know if the AppleTV2 is still jailbreakable if it is completely up to date?

I don't really have a need for it to be jailbroken anymore so I would like to update it and sell it so I can upgrade to the AppleTV3, and I'm guessing a jailbroken ATV2 is still worth a decent amount.

Shaneus

I have a feeling it is? I know for sure that there's a wikipedia page somewhere that mentions the jailbreakable status of all iOS devices (latest iOS jailbreakable etc.).

So I'm pretty stupid about this stuff but I'm still using iOS 6 on my iPhone 4, but compatibility with certain apps is lagging behind so I thought I should just take the plunge and upgrade to iOS 7.

I'd still like to keep the jailbreak, so how do I go around doing it? Upgrade regularly and then jailbreak again?

Nvm, I'm all updated now

Would you mind sharing your newly acquired wisdom with the rest of the thread? It might be helpful for others.

iLLmAtlc

Would you mind sharing your newly acquired wisdom with the rest of the thread? It might be helpful for others.

I always

1. Back up in iTunes
2. Write down my list of cydia tweaks/apps
3. Restore with latest jailbreakable iOS
4. Jailbreak
5. Restore back up

There are alternatives to step 2, just google backup cydia apps or tweaks. I just never bothered because I don't have a lot.

Hey guys where can I update my Ipod touch 5th generation version 6.01 to 6.1?
This is a non jail-broken Ipod touch.

I plan to jail-break it but first I wanted to test something with this firmware.

Thanks.

Shaneus

Pretty sure you're out of luck there, I think you need to be online for any kind of software upgrade these days. And it needs to be the latest firmware.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is there any way to clean out the files left by tweaks after an upgrade? They always get backed up with my data etc when I do a backup to the computer, and then get installed back to the phone even if the tweak's not actually installed through Cydia. I found this after I moved to iOS and didn't need a bunch of the tweaks that I used in 6.

iLLmAtlc

Is there any way to clean out the files left by tweaks after an upgrade? They always get backed up with my data etc when I do a backup to the computer, and then get installed back to the phone even if the tweak's not actually installed through Cydia. I found this after I moved to iOS and didn't need a bunch of the tweaks that I used in 6.

iCleaner might do it

Top Bottom