• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/17/iphone-x-suppliers-on-schedule-to-meet-2017-demand/

Yield rates for some iPhone X components have improved and become more stable, allowing for shipments of the upcoming smartphone to grow substantially after October, according to sources from Apple's supply chain.

Yesterday it was reported that Apple manufacturer Foxconn has started shipping its first iPhone X units from its main plant in Zhengzhou, China. The same sources are now reporting improved production yield rates for key parts such as the 3D sensing modules, signaling the first positive indicator from suppliers previously struggling to meet Apple's demand.

Sounds like there will be enough to go around. There is probably no need to get up at 3am to order it. You can all sleep in on the east coast. You should do exactly that. Sleep in.

DOWN

Banned
I thought Jet Black 7 looked great but something has worn out it’s welcome about the Space Grey X to me. It’s like it’s too dark for the hardware to show its nice form at all.

kaskade

Getting a successful order in is one of the best feelings. I’m glad to see supply doesn’t seem to be too bad after all the crazy rumors of having like 4 units. Hopefully most of the die hards who stay up will be able to get a launch day unit.

I’m just waiting for Apple to open up the iPhone Upgrade Program pre approval. I’m guessing that’ll be sometime this week.

Ashhong

One big difference imo between the Apple Watch wear and tear vs this phone is that theoretically, the Watch shouldn't really touch other surfaces very much. My chrome bezels on all of my watches are almost flawless since it just sits on my wrist. The phone will be going in and out of pockets, on the table, etc. I wonder how the bands, specifically the black, will hold up to that.

DOWN

Banned
One big difference imo between the Apple Watch wear and tear vs this phone is that theoretically, the Watch shouldn't really touch other surfaces very much. My chrome bezels on all of my watches are almost flawless since it just sits on my wrist. The phone will be going in and out of pockets, on the table, etc. I wonder how the bands, specifically the black, will hold up to that.
Hm I’d think watches actually knock into stuff worse than phones in my experience

br3wnor

Oh, maybe it's just me then. I'm typically super careful with my watches

Yeah I’m not the most graceful person and hit my watch into stuff on a weekly basis. Have had an aluminum one for a couple years now though and it’s still in good shape, my phone gets much more wear and tear.

Are you able to enroll in the upgrade program before the phone goes up for preorder? Basically, get approved so that when the preorders go up you don’t have to go through the approval steps then?

kaskade

Are you able to enroll in the upgrade program before the phone goes up for preorder? Basically, get approved so that when the preorders go up you don’t have to go through the approval steps then?
From what I remember with the 8, you can only preapprove if you’re already in the program. I think new customers need to go through the steps on preorder day.

I could be wrong though.

wachie

Sounds like there will be enough to go around. There is probably no need to get up at 3am to order it. You can all sleep in on the east coast. You should do exactly that. Sleep in.
Yes! Everybody sleep in, no need to get up finally. I'm going to sleep in as well.

dc89

Jesus.
Seeing images of the black iPhone X looking so stunning has made me second guess my decision.
At this point I should probably flip a coin.

Piggus

Does anyone know if you can buy two phones at once with the Apple Upgrade Program? My wife and I are both on Sprint and plan to apply for the program and get two phones. I assume we just have to go through the pre-order/sign-up process twice?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Does anyone know if you can buy two phones at once with the Apple Upgrade Program? My wife and I are both on Sprint and plan to apply for the program and get two phones. I assume we just have to go through the pre-order/sign-up process twice?

I think you'd have to go thru the process twice.

godspeed

Kyoufu

Jesus.
Seeing images of the black iPhone X looking so stunning has made me second guess my decision.
At this point I should probably flip a coin.

This is why I asked you which model you're getting. I can't decide.

Silver has the shiny stainless steel band on the sides which makes it stand out, but the Space Grey looks slick all over. Still undecided. :(

dc89

Silver has the shiny stainless steel band on the sides which makes it stand out, but the Space Grey looks slick all over. Still undecided. :(

I'm like 60/40 silver at the moment.

NYR

What time are people here planning to line up? I have no confidence the online pre orders will go well - I’m betting 5 seconds in it will be 3 weeks.

dc89

Shame this pic is quite low res but it gives us an idea - could also be old.

wZvTwaP.jpg

Damon

I'd love for the rumoured gold version to be available, but I guess that may come sometime next year once all the supply is under control or they could just leave it until the X's successor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I bought a case online speculatively, and it is quite a bit wider than my iphone 6s. As I switched from the plus to the standard size because of the size, I hope the X is ok.

I'd love for the rumoured gold version to be available, but I guess that may come sometime next year once all the supply is under control or they could just leave it until the X's successor.

Have they ever released a new colour mid-cycle besides the red and the white 4?

jts

...hate me...
Have they ever released a new colour mid-cycle besides the red and the white 4?
They have for the Apple Watch, and the red iPhone 7 is also very recent so it could indicate a newer trend.

The white iPhone 4 was a bit of an exception due to the manufacturing issues.

jts

...hate me...
I always think white looks better case-less, black looks better with a case, and since i'm a dropper, i'll be getting black.
But... for this one it doesn't really make much of a difference does it? The back and most of the sides get covered by the case, and the front is black for both.

But... for this one it doesn't really make much of a difference does it? The back and most of the sides get covered by the case, and the front is black for both.

You're right, i'm talking shit, that was my reason with the old models.

i forgot the real reason i'm going black with the X is the chintzy silver band on the white one.

What time are people here planning to line up? I have no confidence the online pre orders will go well - I'm betting 5 seconds in it will be 3 weeks.

I don't think it will be that bad. Maybe a couple of minutes in.

People should go back and look at the past iPhone launch threads for 6 and 7. It's a shitshow. Apple usually goes up late from what I can tell.

crustikid

You're right, i'm talking shit, that was my reason with the old models.

i forgot the real reason i'm going black with the X is the chintzy silver band on the white one.

I’ve been comparing the stainless steel apple watches in store for a reference in deciding between the two bands. Silver definitely shows scratches easier on all the demo units I looked at. It’s click wheel iPod backs all over again.

People really think 64GB is too small for a base config? I was 100% behind "16GB is too small" for years when Apple kept that shit as the default, but 64GB is enough for like, 95% of people.

I've been on a 64GB 6+ since it launched. I've had to delete applications (usually games), delete movies, and delete music files to make space just to update apps sometimes. Never mind actually wanting to carry a movie or two for a flight or something.

I can't speak for others, but I definitely outgrew 64GB and I didn't even take many photos of video recordings with the phone over the years. I can't even imagine using the phone as I do now but with even higher file size photos and videos eating at space. 64GB is no-man's land unless you don't intend to use the device for those sorts of purposes with any degree of regularity.

I would have been very happy, however, with 128GB. 256GB is more media and entertainment than I would ever intend to use on a phone. Though I would intend to keep the phone for at least 3 years so I'm sure that by the end I will have gotten close to its maximum capacity. With all that extra space, I'll definitely be using my FLAC files with it.

mrkgoo

I've been on a 64GB 6+ since it launched. I've had to delete applications (usually games), delete movies, and delete music files to make space just to update apps sometimes. Never mind actually wanting to carry a movie or two for a flight or something.

I can't speak for others, but I definitely outgrew 64GB and I didn't even take many photos of video recordings with the phone over the years. I can't even imagine using the phone as I do now but with even higher file size photos and videos eating at space. 64GB is no-man's land unless you don't intend to use the device for those sorts of purposes with any degree of regularity.

I would have been very happy, however, with 128GB. 256GB is more media and entertainment than I would ever intend to use on a phone. Though I would intend to keep the phone for at least 3 years so I'm sure that by the end I will have gotten close to its maximum capacity. With all that extra space, I'll definitely be using my FLAC files with it.

Ig to the 64GB iPhone 5 (still using it!) when it launched, and it was humongous. could fit all the apps, tons of photos, and room for some HD movies.

Fast forward 5 years, and I still try to keep 2-3 GB free, but I'm having to delete stuff, and no space for any movies - but to be honest it's stuff I don't ever use, and I've got a whole bunch of old photos and videos that I choose to keep on there. if I really had to make space, I easily could.

DOWN

Banned
I used to use a lot of space but iCloud Photo Library added that storage optimization and Apple Music means no more downloaded songs so now I’m only using 20GB of 128gb lol

Ashhong

I assume Apple doesn't let you buy multiple phones at once. What about the normal Verizon site checkout? Can I add upgrades to all of my lines in one purchase?

Yaari

Being on a 6+ and 64GB being enough for me, I am interested in the X but its too bad I'll be giving up some screen size. If not for that it would have been a much easier decision. I hope it wont bother me that much.

OEM

aren't those stainless steel sides prone to scratches?

Being on a 6+ and 64GB being enough for me, I am interested in the X but its too bad I'll be giving up some screen size. If not for that it would have been a much easier decision. I hope it wont bother me that much.

huh? X has the biggest screen on any iPhone. 5.8"

aren't those stainless steel sides prone to scratches?

huh? X has the biggest screen on any iPhone. 5.8"

I do believe the X gives up some horizontal screenspace in favor of a much longer screen. It’s part of the reason my wife decided to stay with the 8+ instead of the X. That said, I’m more than happy to move to a more manageable phone body size while increasing diagonal screen size.

DOWN

Banned
I literally don’t care about the screen size as long as the Apple website tells me I will have the most recognizably flashy phone tier

Top Bottom