• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran Update: Failed IEAE inspection, Preemptive Strikes and SL declaring no nukes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think there needs to be an Iran OT because of all of the stuff coming out daily. And also so every new thread doesn´t repeat the same tired lines

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/22/iran-nuclear-talks-failure-iaea?INTCMP=SRCH
The UN nuclear agency has declared its latest inspection visit to Iran a failure, with the regime blocking access to a key site suspected of hosting covert nuclear weapon research and no agreement reached on how to resolve other unanswered questions.

The statement from the International Atomic Energy Agency was issued shortly after an Iranian general warned of a pre-emptive strike against any nation that threatens Iran.

"We engaged in a constructive spirit but no agreement was reached," the statement quoted IAEA chief Yukiya Amano as saying.

The communiqué said that Iran did not grant requests by the IAEA mission to visit Parchin, a military site thought to be used for explosives testing related to triggering a nuclear weapon. Amano called the decision "disappointing". No agreement was reached on how to begin "clarification of unresolved issues in connection with Iran's nuclear programme, particularly those relating to possible military dimensions", the statement said.

The fact that the statement was issued early Wednesday, shortly after midnight and just after the IAEA experts left Tehran, reflected the urgency the agency attached to announcing the failed outcome. The language of the statement clearly, if indirectly, blamed Tehran for the lack of progress.

Iran's semi-official Fars news agency had earlier quoted the deputy head of the Islamic republic's armed forces, Mohammad Hejazi, as saying: "Our strategy now is that if we feel our enemies want to endanger Iran's national interests, and want to decide to do that, we will act without waiting for their actions.

"[We will] not wait for enemies to take action against us."

The result of the IAEA visit is the latest sign of Iranian resolve to continue resisting international pressure to curb its nuclear activities. The US and Israel have warned they might take military action as a last resort if diplomacy fails.

Iran's defence minister, Ahmad Vahidi, was reported on the regime's Press TV channel as saying his country intended to boost its presence in international waters.

The IAEA visit was the second to Tehran within a month, ahead of a widely anticipated report that could set the scene for either a new round of diplomacy or an escalation of tension. The Iranian student news agency, ISNA, quoted Iran's ambassador to the IAEA in Vienna, Ali Asghar Soltaniyeh, as saying that the "negotiations will continue in the future".

The team, under the agency's deputy director general, Herman Nackaerts, is now returning to the IAEA headquarters in Vienna and is due to report back on Tehran's co-operation by the end of the week. At the start of the two-day trip to Tehran, Nackaerts had said he was seeking "concrete results".

Diplomats in Vienna have said the IAEA is seeking access to at least one sensitive military site and wants to interview Iranian scientists who took part in research the IAEA believes may have been aimed at developing a nuclear weapon.

The Iranian foreign ministry spokesman, Ramin Mehmanparast, claimed on Tuesday that the IAEA team was not actually there to inspect nuclear facilities. "The titles of the members of the visiting delegation is not inspectors. This is an expert delegation. The purpose of visit is not inspection," Mehmanparast said. "The aim is to negotiate about co-operation between Iran and the agency and to set a framework for a continuation of the talks."

The wording of the IAEA report could have a significant influence on whether there is a fresh round of talks between Iran and a six-nation group of major powers on the future of the Iranian nuclear programme. The stakes behind the diplomacy are exceptionally high at a time when the Israeli government has reportedly debated whether to carry out air strikes in a bid to set back what it portrays as an Iranian project to build a nuclear arsenal – a development that would challenge Israel's nuclear monopoly in the Middle East.

Last week, Iran claimed to have built faster uranium enrichment centrifuges, and to have loaded domestically made fuel plates into a reactor in defiance of the west.

Tensions have escalated since a report by the IAEA in November led to an oil embargo against Iran by the US and its European allies. In response to western sanctions, which have begun to bite, Iran has resorted to sabre-rattling and threats of closing the strait of Hormuz.

Iran has warned it could cut off oil exports to six European countries in retaliation for the latest sanctions imposed on the regime. The announcement caused turmoil in the world's crude market.

Iran asserts that the US and Israel have used fabricated evidence to make up the allegations of secret work to develop nuclear arms. The regime insists it is enriching uranium only to make nuclear fuel for peaceful purposes such as producing energy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/22/iran-supreme-leader-nuclear-weapons-denial?INTCMP=SRCH

Iran's supreme leader has said the Islamic republic is not seeking nuclear weapons, saying they are "useless, harmful and dangerous".

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was speaking after meetings with Iranian nuclear scientists and officials on Wednesday. He did not mention a visit this week to Iran by the UN nuclear watchdog.

In remarks broadcast on state TV, Khamenei said atomic weapons do not bring power but that Iran's achievements in nuclear technology, including proficiency in the nuclear fuel cycle from extracting uranium ore to producing nuclear fuel, have brought dignity and pride to the nation.

Khamenei, who has the final say on all state matters in Iran, also said that western powers know "we are not seeking nuclear weapons because the Islamic Republic of Iran considers possession of nuclear weapons a sin ...
and believes that holding such weapons is useless, harmful and dangerous".

He added: "The Islamic Republic of Iran wants to prove to the world that possessing nuclear weapons does not bring power and that might doesn't come from atomic weapons. Might based on nuclear weapons can be defeated and the Iranian nation will do this."

Also this was missed in the other thread but the war mongering US and Britian are urging Israel not to strike
The U.S. and Britain on Sunday urged Israel not to attack Iran's nuclear program as the White House's national security adviser arrived in the region, reflecting growing international jitters that the Israelis are poised to strike.

In their warnings, both the chairman of the U.S. joint chiefs of staff, Gen. Martin Dempsey, and British Foreign Secretary William Hague said an Israeli attack on Iran would have grave consequences for the entire region and urged Israel to give international sanctions against Tehran more time to work. Dempsey said an Israeli attack is "not prudent," and
Hague said it would not be "a wise thing." It was not known whether their messages were coordinated.

Both Israel and the West believe Iran is trying to develop a nuclear bomb -- a charge Tehran denies. But differences have emerged in how to respond to the perceived threat.

The U.S. and the European Union have both imposed harsh new sanctions targeting Iran's oil sector, the lifeline of the Iranian economy. With the sanctions just beginning to bite, they have expressed optimism that Iran can be persuaded to curb its nuclear ambitions.

On Sunday, Iran's Oil Ministry said it has halted oil shipments to Britain and France in an apparent pre-emptive blow against the European Union. The semiofficial Mehr news agency said the National Iranian Oil Company has sent letters to some European refineries with an ultimatum to either sign long-term contracts of two to five years or be cut off. The 27-nation EU accounts for about 18 percent of Iran's oil exports.

Israel has welcomed the sanctions. But it has pointedly refused to rule out military action and in recent weeks sent signals that its patience is running thin.
Israel believes a nuclear-armed Iran would be a threat to its very existence, citing Iran's support for Arab militant groups, its sophisticated arsenal of missiles capable of reaching Israel and its leaders' calls for the destruction of the Jewish state.

Last week, Israel accused Iran of being behind a string of attempted attacks on Israeli diplomats in India, Georgia and Thailand.
There is precedent for Israeli action. In 1981, the Israeli air force destroyed an unfinished Iraqi nuclear reactor. And in 2007, Israeli warplanes are believed to have destroyed a target that foreign experts think was an unfinished nuclear reactor in Syria.

Experts, however, have questioned how much an Israeli operation would accomplish. With Iran's nuclear installations scattered and buried deep underground, it is believed that an Iranian strike would set back, but not destroy, Iran's nuclear program.

There are also concerns Iran could fire missiles at Israel, get its local proxies Hezbollah and Hamas to launch rockets into the Jewish state, and cause global oil prices to spike by striking targets in the Gulf.

In an interview broadcast on CNN Sunday, Dempsey said Israel has the capability to strike Iran and delay the Iranians "probably for a couple of years. But some of the targets are probably beyond their reach."

He expressed concern that an Israeli attack could spark reprisals against U.S. targets in the Gulf or Afghanistan, where American forces are based.

"That's the question with which we all wrestle. And the reason that we think that it's not prudent at this point to decide to attack Iran," Dempsey said.
Describing Iran as a "rational actor," Dempsey said he believed that the international sanctions on Iran are beginning to have an effect. "For that reason, I think, that we think the current path we're on is the most prudent path at this point."

The arrival of White House National Security Adviser Tom Donilon was the latest in a series of high-level meetings between Israel and the U.S. Last month, Dempsey visited Israel, and next month, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to visit the White House.

Donilon was set to meet with Netanyahu late Sunday, and with Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak on Monday before leaving.
Asked whether he believed Israel could be deterred from striking, Dempsey said: "I'm confident that they understand our concerns, that a strike at this time would be destabilizing and wouldn't achieve their long-term objectives. But, I mean, I also understand that Israel has national interests that are unique to them."

Hague delivered a similar message in Britain. Speaking to the BBC, he said Britain was focused on pressuring Iran through diplomatic means.
"I don't think a wise thing at this moment is for Israel to launch a military attack on Iran," he said. "I think Israel like everyone else in the world should be giving a real chance to the approach we have adopted on very serious economic sanctions and economic pressure and the readiness to negotiate with Iran."

In a sign that the diplomatic pressure might be working, Iran's foreign minister said Sunday that a new round of talks with six world powers on the nuclear program will be held in Istanbul, Turkey. Ali Akbar Salehi didn't give any timing for the talks.

The last round of talks between Iran and the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council plus Germany were held in Istanbul in January 2011 but ended in failure.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...o-attack-irans-nuclear-program/#ixzz1n8ZyHnC4

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...o-attack-irans-nuclear-program/#ixzz1n8ZtUKAZ
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...e-israel-not-to-attack-irans-nuclear-program/
I know there is an error in the thread title

Jenga

Banned
i for one hope the iranians can defeat nuclear power everywhere by successfully blocking the internet for everyone

Good for Iran for having the means to pursue nuclear energy and work towards it.

Even if they did go for a nuke I wouldn't like it but I wouldn't go against it.

TheContact

So they say they don't want nukes then what are they hiding in the rooms where they won't let the UN inspectors go? I mean, if there's nothing to hide, then there's nothing to hide. Obviously, they're hiding something which is scarier than them admitting they are going after nukes. Because if they say they aren't, and all indications now point that they are, you have to wonder why they are lying and what they plan on doing once they get a nuke.

i mean, who in their right mind wouldn't want another cold war

it wasn't even cold and we got a lot of cool shit out of it

Because y'know Iran going for nukes is going to result in an arms race right? Yeah let's just ignore China, Russia, Pakistan, India, practically every country that has nukes atm.

Jeff-DSA

i mean, who in their right mind wouldn't want another cold war

it wasn't even cold and we got a lot of cool shit out of it

So does this mean when my kid plays with his fighter jet toys the bad guys get to be Iranians? I remember when I was a kid in the '80s all the bad guys were the Russians. The US planes always shot down the Russians. Eff yeah.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I imagine its like the beginning of the movie Clear and Present Danger, where Israeli personnel are wheeling out ordinance to attach to aircraft. Not a nuke of course.

LQX

You really have too wonder at Iran sometimes. This would be great way to show the world they are pursuing nuclear energy in peaceful way but instead they fuck it all up which puts a question mark on their intentions.

I think it as more to do with them being further away from their goals than publicly stated though.

Jenga

Banned
Because y'know Iran going for nukes is going to result in an arms race right? Yeah let's just ignore China, Russia, Pakistan, India, practically every country that has nukes atm.

i mean, come on

the middle east is relatively peaceful and there is no hatred between any major countries in the region

it's not like they'll be any nuclear standoffs between iran and israel or saudi arabia or anything fo'get about et

Kapura

Banned
I want to believe Khamenei, but it would make shitloads of sense for Iran to want to become a nuclear power. If Tehran wants us to believe that they aren't developing bombs, they really should let some third-party inspectors in. I don't know shit about the Arab League, but maybe Tehran would be more willing to cooperate with them than the UN?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I do not believe them.

Honestly I kind of do. I think they had a program, it faltered, they used the blast radius as a shitty diplomatic wedge. For him to come out and say that it's effectively unislamic, is kind of a nail in the coffin, at least for a few years.

i mean, come on

the middle east is relatively peaceful

it's not like they'll be any nuclear standoffs between iran and israel or saudi arabia or anything fo'get about et

Only standoff I can see is Israel continuing to be retarded and harassing Iran to the point they will use the nuke. Israel ftw.

This is of course all based on the 'assumption' that Iran will go for a nuke.

Listen I'm the first to say that the US isn't some innocent party here, but Iran is openly hostile, whereas the nations listed are not. It's not about an arms race at all, it's about making sure our enemies don't take steps to do something like attack us. Don't look for the snake in the grass when there's a lion at your door.

Jbird34

Only standoff I can see is Israel continuing to be retarded and harassing Iran to the point they will use the nuke. Israel ftw.

This is of course all based on the 'assumption' that Iran will go for a nuke.

Yeah because Israel is the one constantly talking about wiping iran from the face of the earth... O wait it's not, it's iran doing it

just means more photoshops incoming.
633515943671714095_photoshop_wars_5_iran_fires_moar_Copy_Sharenator_Select_brand_Funny-s750x600-149924.jpg

Listen I'm the first to say that the US isn't some innocent party here, but Iran is openly hostile, whereas the nations listed are not. It's not about an arms race at all, it's about making sure our enemies don't take steps to do something like attack us. Don't look for the snake in the grass when there's a lion at your door.

The Cold War was essentially an arms race. Sure it's basic intent was to make sure the enemy doesn't go attacking you but it was fought via producing mass armaments and proxy warfare.

bazzaar

Neo Member
So they say they don't want nukes then what are they hiding in the rooms where they won't let the UN inspectors go?

I think they are hiding a lack of progress on enrichment. They make pretty bold statements publicly and it would be embarrassing to them to be seen so far behind their claims.

CHEEZMO™;35377205 said:
Was thinking about something like this yesterday.

Subbing.

I just remembered ignoramus´s thread "showdown with iran" from back in December so I don´t know if there should be a new one or if we should revive that one.

Jenga

Banned
The Cold War was essentially an arms race. Sure it's basic intent was to make sure the enemy doesn't go attacking you but it was fought via producing mass armaments and proxy warfare.

and any future middle east cold war will consist of threats and a dangerous game of chicken only with nukes

nah, it's kay

all will be okay when iran gets nuclear warheads

Jeff-DSA

I think they are hiding a lack of progress on enrichment. They make pretty bold statements publicly and it would be embarrassing to them to be seen so far behind their claims.

They'll be further behind when someone bombs them preemptively out of fear...

Kapura

Banned

That doesn't really follow. It would be easy to blame setbacks/lack of enrichment on Israeli interference (regardless of the truth of the claim).

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
The best thing Iran can do now is open up their programme, and pursue purely civilian nuclear power.

Not only would it be in their own best interests, but it means that the US and Israel would have little egg on their face too, after all their posturing.

I just remembered ignoramus´s thread "showdown with iran" from back in December so I don´t know if there should be a new one or if we should revive that one.

Ah, yeah. I forgot about that.

CHEEZMO™;35377492 said:
The best thing Iran can do now is open up their programme, and pursue purely civilian nuclear power.

Not only would it be in their own best interests, but it means that the US and Israel would have little egg on their face too, after all their posturing.

Israel only really. US has only offically said that they are developing the tech to do that and that they don´t know if they´ve decided.

Say what you will but Iraq really has changed US policy. If this was in 2003 we´d have already striked.

So they say they don't want nukes then what are they hiding in the rooms where they won't let the UN inspectors go? I mean, if there's nothing to hide, then there's nothing to hide. Obviously, they're hiding something which is scarier than them admitting they are going after nukes. Because if they say they aren't, and all indications now point that they are, you have to wonder why they are lying and what they plan on doing once they get a nuke.

Obviously HOLOCAUST II.

I seen it on CNN.

Jenga

Banned
They'll be further behind when someone bombs them preemptively out of fear...
well if they weren't making any nukes the smart thing to do would be to let the inspectors verify that and quit attracting belligerent israeli/etc intrigue (at least the sort that openly bombs them)

and then quit making idiot claims about israeli needing to be wiped off the earth

and quit abusing protestors/shutting down the internet

and so on and turn global political opinion around on them and show that israel is intentionally trying to prod and provoke them into warfare with little iranian provocation

but that would be the smart thing to do and it wouldn't really be iran

marrec

Banned

Yes but if they could prove definitively that they are not in pursuit of Nuclear Weapons then sanctions could be lifted and international cooperation would increase.

Everyone knows they are trying for a Nuke.

CHEEZMO™;35377619 said:
They're probably hiding their porn mags.

Triggering mechanism indeed.

Jangocube

Banned
I believe that Iran has every right to nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, but when they shun a powerful committee to see exactly what they are doing, it only makes things worse and makes people that would be "for" them perhaps turn against.

War or some military action will be taken against them by the end of the year, probably before summer. Pretty shitty times, pretty shitty

I understand the need to respect the privacy of another country's interests and to respect the authority of sovereign political states, but why doesn't Iran just show off its nuclear energy program if they've got nothing to hide? This is going to end badly, shitstorm's starting soon, I can only hope it doesn't hit home first.

Gaborn

Iran's defence minister, Ahmad Vahidi, was reported on the regime's Press TV channel as saying his country intended to boost its presence in international waters.

Ooooh, SCARY, they're using international waters! I also liked the pre-emptive war bit. I mean, that's the US's policy and it's ok, but if IRAN says it (without actually doing anything) well CLEARLY that's a horrible thing!

This is just more typical saber rattling and both sides need to grow up.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
i'd be surprised if Saudi Arabia didn't do something to Iran before Israel did

Well, I think we recently delivered a bunch of Strike Eagles to the Kingdom of Saud, which are more than enough to handle their crappy air defenses. I suppose Iran could sent up one of their 1st Gen f-14's, but that's the most powerful airborne radar platform to coordinate. But, that'll get shot down fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom