• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

acohrs

have to turn up an hour before, with landlord and employer references and deposit in cash. Even then, the queue could be round the block

House hunting sucks.

Out of curiosity how much was the 2 bed for 6 people?

I think it was in the mid 400's which should have been a warning sign.

At some stage I wonder if I am better off looking for work outside the Dublin belt and going elsewhere entirely. Know some people who just said fuck it and moved to Wexford

acohrs

At some stage I wonder if I am better off looking for work outside the Dublin belt and going elsewhere entirely. Know some people who just said fuck it and moved to Wexford

Cork is lovely this time of year i hear

acohrs

Wouldnt be against it. Also I have never set foot in Munster.

Not sure how that happened. Just somehow avoided that entire quarter of the country for damn near 30 years.

Damn mate been here only 4 years and ive been to all the provinces even as a dirty londoner

NateDog

See if you can find somewhere in a commuter belt first perhaps and if that is workable with your job maybe try either stick with it or just look for something more local. My problem is I'm in an area that isn't too close to the city centre, and I'm waiting on a job in the city centre to begin but I've been waiting a year now.

Wouldnt be against it. Also I have never set foot in Munster.

Not sure how that happened. Just somehow avoided that entire quarter of the country for damn near 30 years.

I worked in Dublin over the summer vs. some friends who stayed in Cork and my rent was easily double theirs, and that's without being on the higher end of the spectrum considering quality and location. If work is available I'd say it's a pretty attractive option, I just don't see Dublin getting much better anytime soon.

Do it.

Fuck Dublin, I see it as an evil monster that ensnares all my friends. It's a hole though.

I've lived there, Galway and Limerick. Limerick was probably the best spot even though I hated it before I moved there (always thought of it as a big Ennis).

If I had to choose somewhere in Ireland for city living again it would probably be Cork though. Got to spend a fair amount of time there when various friends lived there.

Anyway, good luck in your endeavours.

Clegg

I see Tom Humphries plead guilty to sexual exploitation and defilement. He'll get a lengthy sentence and rightly so. He ruined that young girls life.

NateDog

Any of you guys going to see Blade Runner this weekend at Odeon? I was hoping to go there for it to get the free poster but the only day I have free is Sunday and their times aren't working for me. If any of you are and could pick an extra one up I'd cover you for postage.

Lucreto

Good budget right? I'm not bothered by the cigarette/sugary drink price increases.

Seems like an okay budget. I need to see how much extra I get from the USC change.

I have cut the sugary drinks you weekends only so I won't be hit too badly on that. Aldi and Lidl will still be cheaper.

If it were chocolate it would be a different story.

Clegg

Nice of Fianna Fail to remind us they're total bastards. Vote against gender quotas to help women in politics and vote against any change to the 8th amendment.

Matsukaze

Will probably end up being nothing
Yeah no one up here in Donegal has really been talking about it.

Work sent out an email yesterday with the whole "We care about your safety. Please make sure you stock up on food and supplies, don't risk coming to work if your commute will take you through harsh weather". Everyone in the office was just like "Um... okay".

Lucreto

attachment.php

It's looking a little windy.

The Boards.ie weather page is going like this

4QKQX.gif

The whole thing could turn out to be a "Barts Comet" but you never know.

I see Bus Eireann is cancelling School Buses for Cork and Kerry.

Podge293

Any idea where to get one of those multi point lock mechanisms folks? The one on my back door had failed and need to replace it

Clegg

We've known about Ophelia for days, but only on the eve of it hitting do people realise that this is actually a potentially fatal event.

Waiting until 8pm on a Sunday night to tell schools not to open, and even then being unsure what schools will actually be open tomorrow? Fucking shambles.

No word from work.

Hard to tell if they would be mad or not if I dont show but Ill make the call in the morning.

If the buses are off Ill have to call it a day.

Matsukaze

Still getting mixed messages up here about what to expect and whether it will be safe to travel.

At this point, I can already tell half the office will be out. Guess I will wait to see what the morning brings.

Oriel

Honestly most people seem rather disinterested in this storm. The general reaction has been one of "ah sure, what can ye do". We'll see what happens tomorrow I guess.

Matsukaze

Honestly most people seem rather disinterested in this storm. The general reaction has been one of "ah sure, what can ye do". We'll see what happens tomorrow I guess.
I'm browsing FB and I'm seeing hurricane memes popping up in my feed.

Fuckin Christ.

My wife was told to stay at home tomorrow (working in Cork city centre) while my work sent an email saying my office in Mallow will be open for business. lol

Oriel

I'm browsing FB and I'm seeing hurricane memes popping up in my feed.

Fuckin Christ.

Seems to be a fair amount of ambivilence and dare I say it some excitement over Ophilia. There's no real history of this sort of thing in Ireland so for many people with no experience of living through a violent storm they're not too bothered. We'll see if that same attitude is prevalent here come Tuesday.

Got the shout from work that I'm not to come in.

Supervisor just text me to stay at home if I feel it's unsafe to travel in to work. Office is literally 10 minutes drive for me so I'll make that decision in morning. I doubt too many others will be in though.

Lucreto

I should be asleep for work tomorrow but I don't know what to do.

Trains will probably cancelled at about lunchtime and I will be stranded in Dublin.

No word from work either. Hopefully I hear something before I head out.

NateDog

Dunnes have decided to close every store here and in NI, must be serious enough, although only serious enough to put it on Twitter at 12.30AM.

danthefan

I'm not going in. Fuck this, no way I'm risking it with the bus possibly maybe might be getting cancelled and then hopefully maybe coming back online at 6.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Looks like it'll be a non event in Dublin and surrounding counties.
Tracked west overnight, going to brush the west coast only.
Probably head into work later.

Podge293

Met are still saying it's on course to directly hit Ireland pretty much everywhere.

Where did you see otherwise?

Lucreto

You might regret it later. It hasn't hit Dublin yet. It was dead calm in Naas until about an hour ago. Now it's getting windy.

It won't hit Dublin until around 1pm to 5pm. It's misleading out there for what is about to come.

It has travelled West overnight by only 15 miles the only difference is that Galway will be hit instead of Kerry.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
You might regret it later. It hasn't hit Dublin yet. It was dead calm in Naas until about an hour ago. Now it's getting windy.

It won't hit Dublin until around 1pm to 5pm. It's misleading out there for what is about to come.

It has travelled West overnight by only 15 miles the only difference is that Galway will be hit instead of Kerry.
Yeah staying in bed for now.
Txt from bin company now suspending collections from midday.
Looks like everything is closing today...

Top Bottom