• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Brigade PC confirmed - August 13th

Haunted

late late late and then it's GFWL.

Doublefine needs to be free of Redmond's tyranny for the benefit of all.

Brad Muir comes across as a really cool dude whenever I see him pop up on Giantbomb or in the DF Adventure videos, wish him all the success.

jbug617

Banned
late late late and then it's GFWL.

Doublefine needs to be free of Redmond's tyranny for the benefit of all.

Brad Muir comes across as a really cool dude whenever I see him pop up on Giantbomb or in the DF Adventure videos, wish him all the success.

I know for GFWL is bad but this is Microsoft's game and they want to use their own service.

Omikaru

Ugh, more GFWL crapware bundled with games.

I'll probably buy if someone finds a way to strip it from the game, otherwise I'm out. Sorry Double Fine. :(

The XBLA version has a horrible framerate. GFWL is bad but at least it doesn't feel like having a seizure.

This is the reason I never finished Stacking when I bought the XBLA version and waited for the PC version to come. The strong DOF and vignetting in combination with the low framerate was literally headache inducing for me.

Thank you for this Double Fine! But maybe come out with your games day one on PC, that would be even better!

Ceebs

I kinda ignored this when it came out due to it being console only. I get that it's tower defense + action game.

Is it similar to Orcs Must Die in a way only with loot and character progression kinda stuff?

Jintor

126331_o.gif

Zomba13

About fucking time!
Can't wait. Day 1 and all that.

:O and on my Birthday! Thank you Double Fine :3

gdt

As always, if I'm interested enough, I'll have to put up with GFWL.

Its Double Fine, so I'm interested.

Zarx

cool,but what is this talk of GFWL, I see no mention on the Double Fine post. It only mentions Steam for the PC version.

Corto

Sent to die, sadly.

They're smartly downplaying it.

I don't think it's sent to die really. Steam is an odd platform that can bring new life even to a late port of an original 360 game. It's just a matter of getting good word of mouth, and being a Double Fine game that's almost a given and being well positioned in a few weekly sales and future seasonal sales.

Sweeeeeet. I thought the demo on 360 was great but I don't really play games on my 360 anymore so I'll be buying this day 1 I reckon.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I just wish the Trenched! artwork is still there somewhere and that the first mod out for the game reinstates it on the title screen.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Why was the name changed anyway?

Trenched was copyrighted in Europe and the dude wouldn't allow Microsoft to use the name. It was a stupid dispute, as it was a Board Game that used the word "Trench" or something to that extent.

So, instead of losing a buncha money over this, Microsoft just said "fuck it" to the guy, paid him nothing and changed the name to Iron Brigade.

Edit: as explained before, that name had to be changed worldwide because, otherwise, online gameplay with Europe wouldn't work.

Edit2: GiantBomb. It's a site about videogames:

[url]http://www.giantbomb.com/iron-brigade/61-34304/[/url] said:
Upon its initial North American release, Iron Brigade was originally entitled Trenched. However, the subsequent release of the game in Europe met with a legal battle regarding trademark conflict. The trademark to the name "Trench" is currently held by the creator of a World War I-inspired board game registered in Portugal. Due to the way European law works, the trademark also covers basic variants on the title, giving the board game creator the rights to the name "Trenched" as well. Various trademark agreements in place between the European Union countries mean that the trademark ownership is extended throughout most of the European region.

Microsoft chose to avoid a legal battle by releasing Trenched under the name Iron Brigade in Europe. However, due to coding issues within Xbox Live, this change to the game made it incompatible for multiplayer games with the North American version, Trenched. On September 9, 2011, Brad Muir announced that the game would be renamed Iron Brigade across all regions. An updated version of the game was later released in North America with the Iron Brigade name.

The only double fine game I don't own (no 360).

As for gfwl... Expected, but doesn't mean I'm not pissed about it. Wish Microsoft would fucking stop using the piece of shit. So shitty.

Shit shit shit shitty shit shit.

I kinda ignored this when it came out due to it being console only. I get that it's tower defense + action game.

Is it similar to Orcs Must Die in a way only with loot and character progression kinda stuff?

Download the demo and try it out yourself

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
god I hate the Microsoft gaming division so much

JUST LEAVE PC GAMING ALONE YOU JERKS, YOU RUIN EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH!

I shouldn't even have to think about buying Iron Brigade on PC, but they had to taint it with that GFWL nonsense.

Why does MS even care? It's not like they actually care about the GFWL initiative on Windows! The GFWL client redirects you to Xbox.com to do anything useful for Pete's sake!

chixdiggit

Thought the XBLA demo was OK. Will buy now that it has mouse and key controls. I like Double Fine more than I hate GFWL.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I can't wait to play this at a playable frame rate.

It was fun as hell on xbox but the constant 10 fps drove me completely nanners.

I highly recommend this game. On 360, or PC. I absolutely loved it, and the Rise of the Martian Bear expansion. I wish there were more content being developed for it.

GWX

Just did a little research on the game, and I could get behind a TPS/Tower Defense hybrid, assuming it's anything like Orcs Must Die! and its sequel. I'll think I'll buy, but I'm hoping for a demo.

Was this good? I bought Costume Quest when it came to pc to support DoubleFine bringing future games, but I thought it was so weak I never ended up buying Stacking.

Edit: nevermind, gfwl.

I've been looking forward to playing this game for what feels like forever, but the delay to the European release meant I never played it on my xbox. If there was no GFWL I'd buy day one but...I guess I'm waiting for a sale

alphaNoid

Banned
I don't see what is "of course" about it. Games For Windows Live is a dead platform. Microsoft hasn't even bothered updating it in TWO YEARS. If they are going to abandon the platform and not even bother trying to fix it, why in the fuck are they forcing titles they publish to use it?
gfwl is built into windows 8, but called Xbox Live for Windows. MS stopped working on gfwl for existing platforms and started rebuilding it from scratch for win8

alphaNoid

Banned
god I hate the Microsoft gaming division so much

JUST LEAVE PC GAMING ALONE YOU JERKS, YOU RUIN EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH!

I shouldn't even have to think about buying Iron Brigade on PC, but they had to taint it with that GFWL nonsense.

Why does MS even care? It's not like they actually care about the GFWL initiative on Windows! The GFWL client redirects you to Xbox.com to do anything useful for Pete's sake!
Again gdwl dies with that name, its now Xbox Live for Windows doing forward and has been integrated and overhauled for windows 8.

Sentenza

The only double fine game I don't own
Same, and with GFWL it will probably remain the only DF game I *won't* own.

Not that I'm particularly happy or proud of it, but I have to mediate between my appeal for the game, my dislike for Microsoft's service and my stance to boycott it every time I can, and Iron Brigade just isn't appealing enough to make me overlook the last two points.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck yeah! I was always curious about the game, but can't be bothered to buy shit on Xbox.

This is how you do an announcement! 1 week out is awesome.

Top Bottom