• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ironman (Ghostface Killah first album) is 20 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironman.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdYbbE9voNU

Great album, probably one of my favs.

Ghostface, on Ironman :

Ghostface Killah: That was 1996. I just left off of Raekwon’s Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…in 1995. I was ready but there were a lot of things going on. To me, Ironman was kind of dark for me. I wasn’t looking for it to be that dark like that. That’s why I say it could have been better. Going in there I’m thinking about music, I’m thinking about the block. It’s this over here, it’s family here, like everything just hit me after Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…

I was 26. It was just like I was still coming off the streets. I remember one time doing the album; I even had The Delfonics with me. I had got into a shootout, they was with me. I was in one car and they were in a van in back of me watching it all go down. It was a lot of other stuff too. I just found out I was a diabetic around that time. It was stressful, but I did want my turn because back then it was, who’s the next one up?

Back then we were deciding if I should name [the LP] Ironman or Supreme Clientele. RZA convinced me with Ironman because of [my] Tony Starks [nickname]. If not, Ironman would’ve been named Supreme and Supreme would have been Ironman. I would take the beat and whatever it made me feel, I would just say it. If the beat felt like a rainy night like someone had just got killed, I would describe a picture like that. That’s how I go into things. Even the “All That I Got Is You” record with Mary J. Blige, RZA played that [when] we were in Ohio. He was playing the beats for Ironman. I was like, “Keep that, I want that one right there.” So, [the beat] just took me there. I just laid it, I just wrote it. On “Assassination Day” where everybody but me was on it, I couldn’t think. A couple of songs, my brain wasn’t clicking. Like that song, “The Soul Controller” and “After The Smoke Is Clear,” my head was just fogged out. That’s why I said it could have been more than what it was.

That was me bringing to RZA [the different movie clips] so he could put it in on the album. Like I gave him [the movie clip] and said, “I want this to come in front of ‘Wildflower” ’cause I was into like The Mack, Cooley High and The Education of Sonny Carson.

We did a bunch of songs and figured out which fit where. It’s not always just making the songs; it’s about how does the next song come after the next? See, these guys nowadays, they don’t do that. The sequencing, that’s how I did mainly all my albums. We basically try to keep you here when you put on the CD.

The samples

What are your favourite tracks from that album ? #teamironman or #teamsupremeclientele ?

Holy hell, Wu-Tang was my life then. Every album a classic from that Era.

That Winter Warz though. Godly.
Yup, the year before Raekwon blessed us with Only built 4 cuban linx... amazing era.
Team supreme for sure, but The Faster Blade will always be one of my favorite Wu songs.

Yeah, i feel like Supreme is overall the best album, especially because Ghostface was on point the whole album, but i really enjoy the mood of Ironman

Ghostface man, sick verse

It's been a while since I listened to it. But it was undoubtedly a big deal in my family. I'm personally not big into Hip-Hop. But there's no way that I can't have a soft spot for Ghost, seeing as he's my cousin. It's been a while since I've seen him (it was actually at a family funeral), but my older brothers are in more contact with him. I was in his thank you's in the liner notes of this album, which was cool. I was showing that off to my friends back in high school for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom