• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 12gb vram next on the chopping block, or does it still have some life?

how long do you think 12gb vram will last now

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm a bit worried for VRAM capabilities now that 8gb is fully outdated and relegated to budget tier. I want a 4070 super, but paying that much for 12gb vram which could be outdated in 2 or 3 years sounds like a bad decision imo.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The 12gb on my 4070ti was fine for running Cyberpunk at 4K with everything cranked up, RTX included, using DLSS3.5.

It's really not a problem yet at all. If you're trying to push things harder then the above then you probably shouldn't be buying anything less than the tippy top cards anyway.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This is how i see it.

12gb for 1080p
16gb for 1440p
16+gb for 4k
Doesn't make sense. 1080p to 1440p won't add another 4GB of VRAM. Hell, even 1080p to 4K generally won't. 8GB is generally fine for 1080p but you might run into problems with textures. 10GB is more than fine and 12GB is good for everything up to 4K unless you throw in RT.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The 12gb on my 4070ti was fine for running Cyberpunk at 4K with everything cranked up, RTX included, using DLSS3.5.

It's really not a problem yet at all. If you're trying to push things harder then the above then you probably shouldn't be buying anything less than the tippy top cards anyway.
I want to play 1440p. If I could do 1440p with raytracing It'd be quite nice.

what game requires it now?
I play at 1080p and have a 3060ti Its been able to play high settings ore more on everygame with 8gb vram.
Did something come out recently that requires 12?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Doesn't make sense. 1080p to 1440p won't add another 4GB of VRAM. Hell, even 1080p to 4K generally won't. 8GB is generally fine for 1080p but you might run into problems with textures. 10GB is more than fine and 12GB is good for everything up to 4K unless you throw in RT.
This helped a lot. I think I'll be fine saving and getting a 4070/4070 super then.

Ti/Ti super felt too expensive but 16gb would be really futureproof.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Yea that's not how things work. If 1080p consumes 11-12gb v-ram, u only need ~1gb more usage to make it a problem because 12gb runs out.

A lot of games at max settings use 10gb or higher already on 1080p, for 1440p they can still work at this point at 1440p but it doens't take a lot for it not to work anymore.

I wouldn't want a 12gb card for 1440p or higher.

The same goes for 1080p, if a game uses 8,5gb of memory, a 8gb memory pool is already to small.

Horizon forbidden west is for example such a example.

Last edited:

Crayon

Wondering the same myself. I thought the 7600xt 16gb was a bit of an eyebrow-raiser. Not that I'm considering buying that particular card but paying more than $400 to get less that 16gb is starting to look kinda dumb.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
what game requires it now?
I play at 1080p and have a 3060ti Its been able to play high settings ore more on everygame with 8gb vram.
Did something come out recently that requires 12?
Nothing. It's just that I'm in the market for an upgrade, and since the supers came out, the 4070 series has dropped down to some compelling prices. 4070 for 520 is 120 more than how much I bought my 6650 xt for back in 2022 (gpu crisis and all that)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
12GB is going to be just fine for a while. You can always turn down texture details and it will still look good. We are reaching diminishing returns in terms of texture quality beyond what would be needed beyond 16GB.

Gaiff

Yea that's not how things work. If 1080p consumes 11-12gb v-ram, u only need ~1gb more usage to make it a problem because 12gb runs out.
Yes, it is. You went from 12GB at 1080p to a whopping 16GB at 1440p. This is utter nonsense.
A lot of games at max settings use 10gb or higher already on 1080p, for 1440p they can still work at this point at 1440p but it doens't take a lot for it not to work anymore.

I wouldn't want a 12gb card for 1440p or higher.
Find all these games that consume more than 10GB at 1080p without ray tracing. The list is incredibly short. 12GB is fine for damn near everything except 4K with ray tracing in AAA games but it's not like you'll be running that on 12GB cards anyway.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Nothing. It's just that I'm in the market for an upgrade, and since the supers came out, the 4070 series has dropped down to some compelling prices. 4070 for 520 is 120 more than how much I bought my 6650 xt for back in 2022 (gpu crisis and all that)
Unless you can get a 4070 for around $450 or less, you should spend the little bit more and get a 4070 Super. It's quite a bit better than the regular 4070.

However, AMD has some excellent deals on the 7900 GRE and that absolutely should be a consideration.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Unless you can get a 4070 for around $450 or less, you should spend the little bit more and get a 4070 Super. It's quite a bit better than the regular 4070.

However, AMD has some excellent deals on the 7900 GRE and that absolutely should be a consideration.
That's also on the table as well.

I don't think I'll be going AMD for the near future until the upscaling gets better, FSR is starting to bug me in a few games.
My philosophy for PC builds is to be at parity with console performance for better or worse. That rumored PSSR thing seems like it will be quite a lot better than current FSR and I wouldn't want my PC image quality to look outdated in comparison. Plus I need to see the DLSS "better than native" hype.

Kenpachii

Yes, it is. You went from 12GB at 1080p to a whopping 16GB at 1440p. This is utter nonsense.

Find all these games that consume more than 10GB at 1080p without ray tracing. The list is incredibly short. 12GB is fine for damn near everything except 4K with ray tracing in AAA games but it's not like you'll be running that on 12GB cards anyway.

Like i said its not about 4gb of vram its that more v-ram can be used then 12, and the 12gb will bottleneck as result. If games already require 12gb it doesn't take a lot to hit a wall sooner rather then later.

Utter nonsense. Where are these "lot of games"?

https://www.tomshardware.com/video-...sis-another-game-that-can-exceed-8gb-vram-use

The 12GB cards all appear to be sufficient for 1440p very high, at least in terms of VRAM capacity, but the RTX 3080 10GB does show a drop in minimum fps relative to the 4070.

Now imagine having it RT and it will peg that 12gb of v-ram even harder.

Like i said u want to play it safe, get 12gb for 1080p, 16gb for 1440p.

All i am saying really is, that 12gb is not safe to last in the future for 1440p, better to go for more v-ram if u sit on a gpu longer.

Last edited:
I think CP77 is the only game I own that I've seen my 4070 12GB use over 10GB of RAM at 1080P.
So I think 12GB is going to last 2 or 3 more years.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's also on the table as well.

I don't think I'll be going AMD for the near future until the upscaling gets better, FSR is starting to bug me in a few games.
My philosophy for PC builds is to be at parity with console performance for better or worse. That rumored PSSR thing seems like it will be quite a lot better than current FSR and I wouldn't want my PC image quality to look outdated in comparison. Plus I need to see the DLSS "better than native" hype.
Yes, DLSS is quite a bit better than FSR. No question. However, most games that support FSR and DLSS, also support XeSS and that should be used if you have an AMD GPU. XeSS is quite good. Intel will start locking the best XeSS features on Intel GPUs (Battlemage), but its very good upscaler.

Gaiff

I think CP77 is the only game I own that I've seen my 4070 12GB use over 10GB of RAM at 1080P.
So I think 12GB is going to last 2 or 3 more years.
12GB is going to last until the end of the generation of consoles.
Like i said its not about 4gb of vram its that more v-ram can be used then 12, and the 12gb will bottleneck as result. If games already require 12gb it doesn't take a lot to hit a wall sooner rather then later.

https://www.tomshardware.com/video-...sis-another-game-that-can-exceed-8gb-vram-use

The 12GB cards all appear to be sufficient for 1440p very high, at least in terms of VRAM capacity, but the RTX 3080 10GB does show a drop in minimum fps relative to the 4070.

Now imagine having it RT and it will peg that 12gb of v-ram even harder.

Like i said u want to play it safe, get 12gb for 1080p, 16gb for 1440p.

All i am saying really is, that 12gb is not safe to last in the future for 1440p, better to go for more v-ram if u sit on a gpu longer.
A whopping 3fps difference which is within margin of error. This really doesn't prove your point. Where are all these games exceeding 10GB at 1080p? We're still waiting for them.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Why would it be on the chopping block? What games? There are no major demanding games coming soon, except maybe GTA6 but that game will release on PS5 as well, so, yeah. You're safe for the next 3-4 years, only elitist idiots will tell you otherwise.

if youre cool lowering lots of settings, 12gb will probably last a very long time.
i was able to squeak by on a 980ti's 6gb for a loooong time at 4k.
and settings are weird these days... usually not a huge difference between medium and high/ultra.

but going forward, if you want most of the newest shiny stuff at 4k, i wouldnt be comfy with anything less than 16gb.

i have 24gb and its overkill. i think i went over 16gb only once or twice while downsampling.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

I just remember all the mouth breathers saying 12GB was overkill for the RTX 3060 at 1080p. It will never make use of it, etc. They turned out dead wrong.

It’s 2024 bitches. Horizon FW has to memory swap on 8GB cards at 1080p High settings. (Or at least with very high textures)

ssringo

If you already have a 12GB GPU I wouldn't bother upgrading right now. But if you're upgrading from an 8GB GPU you might as well go with a 16GB GPU. Yeah, it's more expensive (~$200+) but it'll also last you longer before needing to upgrade again and it gives a bit more breathing room on VRAM in the coming years.

kiphalfton

Just wait 6 months for rtx5000 launch and get second handed 4080 for cheap on eBay.

"Cheap"

I foresee them being slightly cheaper than the equivalent RTX 5000 card. Which I imagine would be the RTX 5070 (if not 5070 Ti, if there is one).

So probably between $500-$700 for a used RTX 4080. However, how much it ultimately goes for used is also dependent on how much memory the equivalent 5000 series card has.

That's just the way she goes.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member

That's not exactly a good example. The game is old. Take a look at Last of Us 2 pre patch or even partly today.

Area61

12GB is safer at least till the next gen mid cycle. If you ask native 4k gaming then we are already behind sadly.

Then you had problem(s).
No I didn't have any problems. The game ran flawlessly for me at high settings at 1440p and had no major impact on image quality.

The mindset of 'everything needs to be completely maxed out to be considered acceptable' is laughably foolish.

Monserrat

Banned
I have no idea about PC gaming these days, but 12GB for 1080p sounds like a hyperbole.

Some of the newer games are pushing 10gb at 1080p, even older stuff like the resident evil remakes if you use max textures. Cyberpunk for example, everyone uses the built in benchmark, but the new area from Phantom Liberty is lot more vram hungry and a stutter fest on 8gb.

This thing cannot even use FG due to the lack of vram, we were warning people about buying this card:

Last edited:
Top Bottom