• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IS bombing in Baghdad [Iraqi officials: 115 killed, 187 injured]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports saying that death toll is likely to pass over 200.

Also BBC only mentioned that the second bombing was in a Shia area but ISIS said they specifically targeted Shia muslims in both bombings. These people didn't die simply because "ISIS are evil" as some posts here may imply. These people died because they are Shia muslims, just as the other bombings earlier this year that also claimed 100+ and 200+ victims were Shia. Basically the majority of suicide bombings and car bombs in Iraq post-2003 has been targeting Shia muslims, mostly in areas with a heavy Shia presence and majority of those done by Sunni extremists.

In case anyone is interested: the amount of Shia muslims in Iraq killed in Baghdad alone this year from bombings (car bombs, suicide bombers etc.) including this one amounts roughly to 466 deaths. These numbers are directly reported deaths and only from major bombings targeting civilians. In other words they don't include:

• Those that die later from their injuries.
  • Smaller bombings that claim less lives
  • Bombings that target security forces, army or paramilitary
Note that I only mentioned Baghdad. This doesn't include major bombings that targeted Shia muslims elsewhere in the country such as the Iskandariya, Hilla, Diyala, Basra or Nasiriyah bombings. Adding up the death toll of Shia muslims from other areas from major and smaller bombings and you'd easily pass over a thousand Shia muslims dead this year so far in Iraq simply because they are Shia. The saddest part is that this has been the norm every year now.

For a comparison, imagine if terrorists from a minority in a developed western country did this much in just half a year. We've already seen the responses and reactions from people across Europe after the bombings in France and Belgium; the current atmosphere isn't particularly positive or friendly towards a subgroup of ethnicities. Now amplify the situation several times and let it happen (so far) for 13 consecutive years...I don't even want to think of the responses then.

Once again out of a thousands of other times the Shia genocide and oppression continues at the hands of Sunni extremists followers of Ibn Taymiyyah. As if some decades of oppression, assassinations and massacres of Iraqi Shias under Saddam Hussein and Al-Bakr weren't enough already. Maybe one day these Shia people won't be bombed to bits simply for who they are.

I can't imagine living life thinking such stupid thoughts on a regular basis
You don't have to imagine it, I took a breif look through your comment history, just think about how you live life right now and the choices you are making now.

then we should be scared to death by atheist. In the last century atheists have killed more people than anyone.
If that is how you feel then by all means fear what you want. No one should be able to tell you otherwise.

I see so many hypocrites in these type of threads, when Dylann did his atrocity in Charleston they saw pictures of him with a confederate flag. Suddenly everyone who had one was on the same page as Dylann. Many of the names I see here defending Islam were getting their pitch forks for those who had the confederate flag. How the same line of thought is somehow inexcusable to have for Islam is just another performance of mental gymnastics that I've come to see here which is a shame because it prevents actual discussion and creates a very toxic echo chamber.

Yoda

then we should be scared to death by atheist. In the last century atheists have killed more people than anyone.

This is bullshit, but even if it were true the atheists aren't killing people "in the name of atheism", or to scare people into submitting to their ideology. ISIS is murdering anyone who fit's their broad definition of an infidel. The targeting is based on a religion (regardless of how out of the mainstream of that religion such thinking may be) and the majority of their victims fall within predictable lines (most are in the muslim world, and a part of a domination they view as blasphemous).

Makes you no better than those trying to force religion. Law abiding citizens are free to do what they want, what's right for you may not be for others. These victims will find comfort in thier belief as they reconcile with what's happened, a comfort noone else can offer, you should be thinking of them and not what you want.

Agree that it plays a role, but when most victims are Muslims it's clear they don't give a shit about who they kill and will twist any code they follow. They love death, and are, by default, horrible humans.
Oh they do care about who they kill. The ideology they follow specifically states that it is lawful to kill Shia muslims as they are considered as apostates. This is more or less similar to al-Qaida's ideology (read something like one of Zarqawi's letter, he shows far more hate towards Shia muslims than any other groups and that includes "Jews & Crusaders".

When ISIS kills Sunni muslims it isn't because they are Sunni muslims or because there's some law in the ideology of their founder that states Sunni muslims are apostates that have to be killed (after all ISIS and AQ are both groups that follow extreme branches of Sunni Islam so it wouldn't make any sense). They usually kill them based on accusation of some of them plotting against them, cooperating with external forces or being against their rule. Generally it's not religiously motivated.

sirap

Try to understand the dangers of blaming these acts of terror solely on Islam. There are millions of Muslims who just want to live their lives and practice their religion in peace.

Damn it, I'll take the bait.

Source, please.

Nazis, russian communism, Mao Tse Tong?

This is bullshit, but even if it were true the atheists aren't killing people "in the name of atheism", or to scare people into submitting to their ideology. ISIS is murdering anyone who fit's their broad definition of an infidel. The targeting is based on a religion (regardless of how out of the mainstream of that religion such thinking may be) and the majority of their victims fall within predictable lines (most are in the muslim world, and a part of a domination they view as blasphemous).

ISIL are people on a power trip hiding behind an ideology. They are murdering who they want not because they are infidel but because they declare them so.

Baybars

Banned
Reports saying that death toll is likely to pass over 200.

Also BBC only mentioned that the second bombing was in a Shia area but ISIS said they specifically targeted Shia muslims in both bombings. These people didn't die simply because "ISIS are evil" as some posts here may imply. These people died because they are Shia muslims, just as the other bombings earlier this year that also claimed 100+ and 200+ victims were Shia. Basically the majority of suicide bombings and car bombs in Iraq post-2003 has been targeting Shia muslims, mostly in areas with a heavy Shia presence and majority of those done by Sunni extremists.

In case anyone is interested: the amount of Shia muslims in Iraq killed in Baghdad alone this year from bombings (car bombs, suicide bombers etc.) including this one amounts roughly to 466 deaths. These numbers are directly reported deaths and only from major bombings targeting civilians. In other words they don't include:

• Those that die later from their injuries.
  • Smaller bombings that claim less lives
  • Bombings that target security forces, army or paramilitary
Note that I only mentioned Baghdad. This doesn't include major bombings that targeted Shia muslims elsewhere in the country such as the Iskandariya, Hilla, Diyala, Basra or Nasiriyah bombings. Adding up the death toll of Shia muslims from other areas from major and smaller bombings and you'd easily pass over a thousand Shia muslims dead this year so far in Iraq simply because they are Shia. The saddest part is that this has been the norm every year now.

For a comparison, imagine if terrorists from a minority in a developed western country did this much in just half a year. We've already seen the responses and reactions from people across Europe after the bombings in France and Belgium; the current atmosphere isn't particularly positive or friendly towards a subgroup of ethnicities. Now amplify the situation several times and let it happen (so far) for 13 consecutive years...I don't even want to think of the responses then.

Once again out of a thousands of other times the Shia genocide and oppression continues at the hands of Sunni extremists followers of Ibn Taymiyyah. As if some decades of oppression, assassinations and massacres of Iraqi Shias under Saddam Hussein and Al-Bakr weren't enough already. Maybe one day these Shia people won't be bombed to bits simply for who they are.

After the massacres conducted by shia militias in fallujah and saqlawiyah and the disappearance of hundreds of sunni men from fallujah by iranian backed militias, it's no suprise to see tit for tat massacres. Check this out http://www.wsj.com/articles/where-are-our-men-iraqis-ask-1466005030

The fact of the matter is this is a sectarian war. Nothing more nothing less. Forget ibn taymiyyah. Shias have been screaming revenge for the death of al hussein for the past 1400 years. And the irony of this sad story is that hussein was killed by a man who fought under the banner of his own father in the battle of siffin

Disxo

ISIL are people on a power trip hiding behind an ideology. They are murdering who they want not because they are infidel but because they declare them so.
Atheism was not the driving force behind genocide.
Whether they were or not, it was not the cause.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Atheism was not the driving force behind genocide.
Whether they were or not, it was not the cause.

I don't think that's what he is saying.

I think he's saying that those instances in history were because of POLITICAL ideology, and power through subjugation of knowledge and violence to those who oppose your ideologies.

So politics have resulted in more deaths, than religion.

...I don't have a retort for that, yet.

Disxo

I think he's saying that those instances in history were because of POLITICAL ideology, and power through subjugation of knowledge and violence to those who oppose your ideologies.

Well, that makes more sense then.

jchap

Human thought is dangerous. Ban all thinking.

That's horrible.

People who associate IS with all muslims or "representing muslims and their values" will not give a single shit about this news, but what a horrible tragedy. So many dead.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

The more I think on this, the more I agree with you.

I agree because it seems that they (ISIS) are using Islam as an excuse for violence.
If its going to get a young man who's troubled with the way things are, to strap a bomb to his chest and go to a crowded mall and blow himself up, by telling him that what he's doing will help him get to a beautiful place where all is peaceful and ideal, and he'll take out some infidels at the same time, then let's tell him he's doing it for his faith.

ISIS kills fellow countrymen. ISIS kills fellow muslims. That seems more political than religious. Terroristic bursts of violence to both instill fear of their group, and gather those who want to be part of something that seems to be gaining power.

Then again, I'm also trying to rationalize why people would... kill children. How does that help you politically? Where in the Qur'an does it say that children are infidels?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
If this lunacy has the ultimate purpose to draw the West into a war against the IS, maybe we should take the bait. They expect to fulfill a silly prophecy with it, but in actuality their "caliphate" will lose all its regions, resources, and structure after a few weeks. Currently, their propaganda and recruiting is feeding off their "successes". A defeated organization will lose its appeal not only at home but also on the Internet and everywhere else where they are recruiting more and more lunatics into their service.

Maybe it's either that or continuing to have new evil attacks against innocents every other week.

If this lunacy has the ultimate purpose to draw the West into a war against the IS, maybe we should take the bait. They expect to fulfill a silly prophecy with it, but in actuality their "caliphate" will lose all its regions, resources, and structure after a few weeks. Currently, their propaganda and recruiting is feeding off their "successes". A defeated organization will lose its appeal not only at home but also on the Internet and everywhere else where they are recruiting more and more lunatics into their service.

Maybe it's either that or continuing to have new evil attacks against innocents every other week.

Part of the reason they are doing this is to take attention away from their significant losses this year.

Also, the war is already happening.

Saw this on twitter, map of every car bombing in Baghdad since 2003.

B0PmKjFCIAEmcVq.png

If Facebook posts (as someone mentioned earlier) draped themselves in Iraqi colors to show solidarity, that would be their permanent Avatar. That's how fucked up this situation is.

And there are people that will defend the invasion to their last breath.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36696568

Just horrible, RIP to everyone. Most people killed by IS are Muslims, but this is basically never mentioned in the West. Will be interesting to see if Facebook will launch a campaign like they did with Paris (99% sure they will not).

Wrong. Most people killed by IS are Shia Muslims, do most Sunni Muslims know that? IS isn't placing bombs in Sunni mosques like they do Shia and when they do attack Sunni majority countries, they target the Shia minority. IS mainly targets people they consider "rafida," which includes non-Sunni Muslims.

The world is truly a sad place right now. So horrible and people dying everywhere. Fuck these lot. They have no rime nor reason for harming these people, but on Neogaf, Religion is the reason.

I don't know about that. IS are the ones saying religion is their reason and they follow through on that reasoning with their actions and who they target. That said, reading the Quran more deeply or being an especially devout muslim doesn't mean you will become a terrorist. The key factor in becoming a terrorist is sympathizing with their political grievances (i.e. Israel, western foreign policy in the ME, corruption in the muslim world, etc). IS knows that muslims are more likely to sympathize with the disparate plights of other muslims around the world hence religion is the common thread that unites them. The idea that Islam is the problem is disingenuous, but it's also disingenuous to dismiss groups like IS as "not true muslims," or "not religious at all."

People relate more to tragedies closer to home then somewhere else. News at 11. What is the point of complaining about that?

I wasn't complaining about anything. You may want to actually look at my post in the context of this thread instead of jumping on me. I'm addressing another poster's inane complaints.

faridmon

Truly tragic and so close to the festive days.

The world is truly a sad place right now. So horrible and people dying everywhere. Fuck these lot. They have no rime nor reason for harming these people, but on Neogaf, Religion is the reason.

Truly no words.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Truly tragic and so close to the festive days.

Truly no words.

So you offer up the explanation that there is "no reason" for the attack, while making the plain-as-day conclusion that it's about religious conflict out to be irrational?

The Beard

B0PmKjFCIAEmcVq.png

If Facebook posts (as someone mentioned earlier) draped themselves in Iraqi colors to show solidarity, that would be their permanent Avatar. That's how fucked up this situation is.

Goddamn. The Middle East has been a shit show for as long as I can remember. Sadly, attacks over there are never surprising. People trying to compare this attack to attacks in the US, Brussels, and Paris are just looking to stir shit up.

B0PmKjFCIAEmcVq.png

That is fucking mental.

And 115 killed in this instance.......

Trying to imagine working and living in that kind of place with my 1 year old kid. I would be terrified to go outside.

Death Toll rises to 115, 187 injured. This is really tragic
https://twitter.com/AP/status/749625170600558592

they got them when they were all prepping for Eid :(

it is like a massive murder to people out shopping for Christmas presents

B0PmKjFCIAEmcVq.png

what is sad is that before 2003 there were no recorded suicide attacks in Iraq's history

of course Saddam was terrible but the invasion basically created chaos

I mean how many people literally lost generations of education, lives, etc.....

Disgusting. ISIS are a scourge upon the earth.

2 days before Eid. All of these people were likely shopping. This is the Muslim equivalent of Christmas, and such carnage...breaks my heart.

Ugh.

sirap

Disgusting. ISIS are a scourge upon the earth.

2 days before Eid. All of these people were likely shopping. This is the Muslim equivalent of Christmas, and such carnage...breaks my heart.

Ugh.

It's their own damn fault for being muslim in the first place. See, if they weren't practicing Islam, they would've never been out at night for Sahur, or shopping for Eid. Thus, they would've avoided being blown up.

At least that's what some posters here would like you to believe. Apparently all muslims are the same and share a common desire for murder and explosives.

Condom

Goddamn. The Middle East has been a shit show for as long as I can remember. Sadly, attacks over there are never surprising. People trying to compare this attack to attacks in the US, Brussels, and Paris are just looking to stir shit up.

Are you 15? Because these kind of attacks were definitely not normal in the Middle East in the past. Armed conflicts sure but every region had those in the past.

HeySeuss

Will be interesting to see if Facebook will launch a campaign like they did with Paris (99% sure they will not).

This kind of bullshit is the same fucked up logic that people use about what Black Lives Matter should or shouldn't protest. Like it somehow makes the cause less worthy because they don't protest everything or whatever you think they should.

Ashes

Banned
This kind of bullshit is the same fucked up logic that people use about what Black Lives Matter should or shouldn't protest. Like it somehow makes the cause less worthy because they don't protest everything or whatever you think they should.

Quite the opposite. Muslim deaths/suffering demonstrably garner less traction in western media. Heck, British deaths now seemed to have the same fate if Tunisia is anything to go by.

MIMIC

Banned
115?! Man, ISIS just brings hell to Earth. What a truly abominable group of "people." I hope that the military campaigns targeted against them continue to show no mercy. They can't be eliminated soon enough.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fuck off with this. If these types of threads aren't for criticism or discussion and only condolences, I'd rather they not exist. They're meaningless.

But no, just say "RIP" and move on with your life. Cool beans, mate.
I tend to agree with this. It's not inappropriate to discuss the ramifications of the event, or tangentially related events, even if it's uncomfortable to think about it. Just saying "RIP" and moving on won't solve much so I understand why some would want to go further.

Not that it's impossible to be inappropriate of course, like the idiot railing against the Arabic equivalent of "RIP". Completely misguided idiocy right there.

I didn't say fuck the people practising religion, just fuck religion.
Sadly, that difference is often lost on people. Because they take religion very seriously and very personally.

B0PmKjFCIAEmcVq.png

Holy shit. I knew it was bad but... I had no idea it was this insane. Really powerful image, puts things into perspective. I almost thought it had to be fake/not properly sourced, but I did find this, so it seems legit:
http://www.vox.com/2014/10/19/69956...rough-a-decade-of-hell-and-now-isis-is-at-its
Fucking hell. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom