• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Closer the biggest duet of all time?

Now I hate The Chainsmokers and much as the next human with a functioning brain, but enough time has passed since Closer came out for me to realize that wow - they did that.

Perfect production, easy lyrics, catchy melody.

You'd be hard to find anyone that can't at least hum along to this song (minus most seniors). I can't think of a single duet in music history that was as big of a force as this song was. It'll be a karaoke classic for years to come.

Is Closer the biggest duet of all time?
Sounds like something you could Google about this piece of shit song.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GYTQiHw.jpg

The sexual tension in this pic is off the charts.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I consider myself fairly up to date with pop music but I have never heard this song before.

Also it's terrible your opinion is terrible and you should feel terrible.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Today I learned there's a song with 1.6 billion youtube views that I've never heard before.

Duets mean two people singing, and no Carlos Sanatana opening his mouth while he makes his guitar "talk" does not qualifyl
False. There are instrumental duets as well. And I would argue that Santana's riff and Rob's hilariously earnest vocals contribute equally enough to the song to awkwardly fit in to the definition of a duet.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I have been on this message board before some of you were born.

This might be the dumbest topic I have ever seen.

Seriously.

Younger people always think whatever happened last week is the biggest thing ever.

They also want instant gratification.

"Man, I want something made NOW to be 'significant'! I don't want to wait years from now, when I'm OLD, to see how much of an impact it's had over the world, pop culture and it's grander place in history. I wanna see it RIGHT NOW!!!!"

Michael Jacson & Mick Jagger - State of Shock

Given how much I disliked this "Closer" song after I heard it, I'd be willing to stomach Jagger and Bowie's "Dancing in the Street". At least that "song" is a good song.

This one, what the fuck is up with those kindsa lyrics? It's like writing lyrics like:

Just woke up on my friend's couch, had way too much to drink last night
mouth filmy with halitosis, eyes crusty but I'm alright
Lit up a cigarette, butt dialed you by mistake
Didn't mean to call you, but didn't mean I didn't want to babe
popped my neck from side to side, crashin at a friend's pad never goes my way
put my cigarette out on a moldy slice of pizza left on the coffee table since last Tuesday

These types of lyrics tend to be popular with some people (especially teens), but me, this will always be "schlub music".

Nope.

Like many others, I entered this thread wondering who the other performer in the NIN classic was to make that song qualify as a duet.

For shame, OP.

LordRaptor

GAF, like Paul on the road to Damascus, I have had an epiphany that Timber by Ke$ha feat Pitbull is not only the greatest duet in the history of recorded music, but probably humanitys greatest ever cultural milestone

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I've weirdly never heard it despite so many people telling me it's ubiquitous. Which is odd cuz I listen to pop radio sometimes.

Anyway, considering plenty of Beatles songs are technically duets... I'm gonna say no.

Galang

Banned
i know pop gaf turns your brains into mush but if anything from 2017 is your greatest anything of all time you probably need to take an ativan and go to bed

Every year including 2017 has some outstanding music. Nostalgia aside it's perfectly understandable if someone has a song from this year they consider "their" personal greatest. 90% of my favourite albums and songs were released in the past decade.

marrec

Banned

This songs legacy is being the most annoying song on a Kidz Bop album. Utterly forgettable song. So much so that next year Lights and Waves will be post a new thread about some new forgettable pop duet and they won't even remember they made this abortion of a claim.

Top Bottom