• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Fallout 4 worth $20?

Rad-

Yeah definitely. It's a good game as long as you treat it as an action adventure game. While it's lacking in RPG stuff, the shooting mechanics are hundred times better than in F3 or NV.

I'll say this much - I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than Fallout 3. 3 has better dialogue choices, 4 has better everything else. At least 4 isn't a total eyesore and actually plays quite well from a gameplay perspective.

Yeah, I really don't like 3.

bati

At least 4 isn't a total eyesore and actually plays quite well from a gameplay perspective.

Yeah, I really don't like 3.

Yeah, 4 is the first Bethesda game that I could tolerate unmodded, which is quite an achievement really. This of course applies to the new Survival mode, I could not bear the boredom that was vanilla release.

Keasar

No.

As long as it's a Fallout game made by Bethesda, it will never be worth your money or time. When Obsidian announces they got the right to make another Fallout game with the Fallout 4 engine, then you can start considering it again. Until then, Fallout is a dead series made by a company who can't write. Something I would argue is pretty damn important in an RPG game to be able to do.

On the other hand, have you played Fallout: New Vegas? Cause you can buy what is considered one of the best RPGs of all time, the Ultimate Edition of it as well with all DLC, for almost exactly 20 dollars.

*Numbers Numbers Numbers Business*

You sound like a friend I knew in college who would use sales numbers as an argument for what was the better game. It was some of the most boring conversations I have ever had.

terrible

Banned
If you have a backlog of any size I'd say no. Play through your backlog instead. I regret every minute I spent playing Fallout 4 when I have better games sitting around collecting dust.

If you like Fallout 3/NV but wish the shooting was better, Fallout 4 is a great game.

If you like Fallout 3/NV but wish there were lots of crafting options, Fallout 4 is a great game.

If you like Fallout 3/NV because you liked the quest design and dialogue options, Fallout 4 is a fucking awful game.

If you like Fallout 3/NV because you liked quests that don't involve killing everything, Fallout 4 is a fucking awful game.

If you like Fallout 3/NV but wished the inventory and crafting systems were less tedious, Fallout 4 is a fucking awful game.

Sadly, the latter three apply to me. It has the best combat of the series, but Fallout was never about the combat. Despite the improvements, the combat is still a bit shit - with success largely dependent on the (hidden) level of your enemies.

There are some good stories and characters in the game (the Private Detective guy is great), but there are many more awful ones. I always loved the Vault quests in Fallout 3/NV and there is nothing like those in 4.

I put quite a few hours into the game, but gave up about halfway through. It was just too much busywork and it felt like they just chucked as much stuff as they could into the game, so nothing ever felt like it belonged. It's also the worst game I know when it comes to giving the player a strong and emotional plot motivation (i.e. find my son) but then railroading the player through massive amounts of unrelated shit.

Apparently ESO sitting here with 9 million+ players doesn't count; also Morrowind (that game that literally brought openworld to relevance doesn't count) even though they're launching a massive Morrowind expansion as we speak.

Don't get me wrong, Witcher 3 is a great gameand all, but I'm not even confidant that The Witcher game series would exist in it's current form if Elder Scrolls didn't do it all before them and basically create the massivesingleplayer openworld rpg genre.

That's a lie. I think we have stuff like GTA 3 and Vice City to thank for that. If we're really just talking what brought open world to relevance, it's really GTA 3.

You can look at almost every game that exists and say "these developers were influenced by x, y, and z game/movie"

LowSignal

$20 for the base and $40 for the complete are good prices. I really enjoyed the game and I have played all of the Fallout games except tactics.

bati

I mean FA4 is not a graphic marvel so moving to NV won't be a great deal, basically the same graphic experience.

Not even close. Do yourself a favor and look up some FNV/FO3 screens, you'll be shocked at how bad that iteration of gamebryo looks compared to FO4.

Triteon

I mean FA4 is not a graphic marvel so moving to NV won't be a great deal, basically the same graphic experience.

I'm going through F:NV with some graphical mods (better textures, skybox, etc) right now and it still looks pretty bad when compared to 4.

4 is not a beautiful current gen game or anything but it looks markedly better than 3/NV.

joecanada

I don't see how any of this is relevant unless you are a shareholder? This does not answer the OP's question at all. Sales are an insanely unreliable indicator for quality.

neither are some guys opinion on gaf. at least sales, reception, and critical acclaim are actually something.

and the answer was to icyrhythms basically saying witcher 3 is the jesus of rpgs, not the op.

Intel_89

If you haven't played Fallout 3/NV, then yes it's a lot of fun and has plenty of content even if the story is a bit stupid.

Nope.

These are random 720p screens I took on the vanilla PS4.
DwyhG31.jpg

FPZpOUh.jpg

OOLFGYI.jpg

Here's a 1080p screen of the PC version of NV:

That's also not taking in to account the vastly improved shooting and other gameplay improvements(explosives being a separate button for one). I'd kill to have NV with 4's graphics and gameplay/QOL changes.

NV is one of my favorite games of all time but you can criticize 4 without living in a fantasy world.

MYeager

If you like Fallout 3/NV but wish the shooting was better, Fallout 4 is a great game.

If you like Fallout 3/NV but wish there were lots of crafting options, Fallout 4 is a great game.

If you like Fallout 3/NV because you liked the quest design and dialogue options, Fallout 4 is a fucking awful game.

If you like Fallout 3/NV because you liked quests that don't involve killing everything, Fallout 4 is a fucking awful game.

If you like Fallout 3/NV but wished the inventory and crafting systems were less tedious, Fallout 4 is a fucking awful game.

Sadly, the latter three apply to me. It has the best combat of the series, but Fallout was never about the combat. Despite the improvements, the combat is still a bit shit - with success largely dependent on the (hidden) level of your enemies.

There are some good stories and characters in the game (the Private Detective guy is great), but there are many more awful ones. I always loved the Vault quests in Fallout 3/NV and there is nothing like those in 4.

I put quite a few hours into the game, but gave up about halfway through. It was just too much busywork and it felt like they just chucked as much stuff as they could into the game, so nothing ever felt like it belonged. It's also the worst game I know when it comes to giving the player a strong and emotional plot motivation (i.e. find my son) but then railroading the player through massive amounts of unrelated shit.

This was my feelings on it as well. While I've enjoyed the past Fallout games, both isometric and Bethesda's, I paid $30 for it and put it down about 6 hours bored and moved onto a different game and haven't been interested enough to return as I fell into categories 3, 4, and 5 above.

RootCause

Definitely. One of the best games of this gen. At $20 it's a steal. Still hoping Skyrim Switch does well enough, to make Bathesda consider bringing it to the switch.

joecanada

Nope.

That's also not taking in to account the vastly improved shooting and other gameplay improvements(explosives being a separate button for one). I'd kill to have NV with 4's graphics and gameplay/QOL changes.

NV is one of my favorite games of all time but you can criticize 4 without living in a fantasy world.

not only that but the villages you build actually look pretty damn cool , despite that game itself having weirdly little content surrounding those villages. I'm shocked there was never a dlc for rescuing refuges from the wasteland or something along those lines "rebuilding the wasteland " etc.

Played it recently during the free weekend on Steam.
Spent ~19 hours and feel no need to continue even though I barely scratched the surface of what the game has to offer.

Maybe I'm burned out because I already played Skyrim a ton and it just feels so familiar.

Nope.

Thank you, I might have my issues with Fallout 4 but that bullshit should be called out wherever GAFfers dare to spout it. I've never ever seen worse posts:re graphical advancement and comparisons before this generation.

Top Bottom