• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gamestop warring with Microsoft?

Everdred

GameStop offered me $6 for my Legendary Edition of Halo 4 today... They are one of the worst companies around. I would rather support MS than GameStop.

EDIT: To be clear I sold it else where and I'm not in support of Microsoft as now either.

GameStop offered me $6 for my Legendary Edition of Halo 4 today... They are one of the worst companies around. I would rather support MS than GameStop.

You know that Gamestop offers more money for games which are in demand, right? And also that the best time to trade a game in is within a month of it's release, because it's trade-in value drops to almost nothing right away after that?

alterno69

Banned
But you can sell it somewhere else, you have a choice now, suporting MS means you will be stuck with it forever or accept whatever gamestop is willing to give you.

CariusD

Might not be the right thread but when I went to Gamestop today, I noticed that the Watch Dogs promo had all systems listed but the XBO. Might just be they haven't gotten new promos yet?

nib95

Banned

If they offered you that much for it it means it was practically dead weight to them. Meaning they already had too many in stock or would have trouble shifting it. I used to work at one of these kinds of stores. They don't just pick trade in prices from the sky. It's all based on supply, demand and inventory.

Soler

Banned
Might not be the right thread but when I went to Gamestop today, I noticed that the Watch Dogs promo had all systems listed but the XBO. Might just they haven't gotten new promos yet?
Xbone wasn't revealed yet
I got my preorder poster and it doesn't have xbone

Kerm 1

Everyone knows this. We are under no delusions that digital isn't the future. But when a company tries to jump-start it like MS is doing and fucking over consumers in the process, you bet your ass there's going to be a backlash, so don't trot out that aloof smugness thinking you've said anything important.

So, you find my post a bit too rhetorical for your liking, feel that it warrants an overtly hostile response, and I am the self-righteous jackass? Haha. Fuck me.

MogCakes

So, you find my post a bit too rhetorical for your liking, feel that it warrants an overtly hostile response, and I am the self-righteous jackass? Haha. Fuck me.

Your tone was pretty clear. I hate aloofness for the sake of being aloof. That being said I put on more heat than I should have. My apologies dude.

EDIT: To be clear I sold it else where and I'm not in support of Microsoft as now either.
You don't get extra credit for selling a limited edition. Just because you value the limited case more doesnt mean they do. And Halo 4 is being traded in like crazy. Value tanks when games are traded in at a much higher pace than they sell. They were willing to pay you less than you'd like. Hardly a defining characteristic of "one of the worst companies around."

FranXico

That's up to the publisher, not Microsoft.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Trading in is disabled (disc is locked to an account) by default. Publishers can opt out. As a publisher, MGS opt out. In addition, only "participating retailers" will be able to accept your used games.

The restriction is still there.

NinjaBoiX

I hope they are. This might be the first time i actively want a system to crash and burn so bad.
Yup.

And it's far from the "Mario is cooler than Sonic" stuff of schoolkids, it's a case of protecting your consumer rights. I hope they fail badly and realise this business model isn't sustainable.

IrishNinja

haha yeah i was at GS today & heard the clip, was laughing at it too...shameless! i don't blame them though, it was a great moment & obviously great for them as well.

anecdotal, but yeah the preorder push from what ive seen is already starting the "you sure you don't want a PS4? you know you can't play used games on the xbox one right?"

ymmv

Banned
Every single games store in the world will push the PS4 to their customers and trash talk the Xbone since MS' used games policies will cut into their profits. It's going to be fun to see MS fight this tide of negativity. (Of course, those games store have to be in one of the 21 supported countries, otherwise only the PS4 will be available for customers anyway)

Cynar

Every retailer should be handing out the info/rules on how the Xbox One functions, otherwise they are going to be dealing with angry customers (esp parents) that are unable to use the system in ways that were previously possible. A good portion of potential customers have no idea about the issues presented by the Xbox One. If I ran a game store I'd let everyone know, and it has nothing to do with my opinion on the DRM, but because I won't want to deal with the coming backlash.
This. It's going to be a huge mess in a few months. I feel sorry for the people who have to process the returns.

BraXzy

Me and my buddy both owned a 360 this gen. And after watching the conferences, he didn't seem all that bothered by the DRM issues or anything to do with the Xbone policies. I am on the fence as which console to buy since I am a major Halo fan but I can't imagine wanting to support what MS is doing.

Meanwhile my buddy says he doesn't see the issue with MS DRM stuff since it doesn't affect him, and I couldn't get through to him that regardless of whether or not his internet is stable and he always buy new games, it is still an issue which affects others.

I was in GAME here in the UK yesterday and they had this massive poster with announced games for both consoles so far.
They had like 3 XBONE exclusives listed and a dozen or so PS4, including games that aren't exclusive like FF15 and KH3. It was like one of those fanboy comparisons pics from the start of this gen.
Retailers ain't happy man.

Into

My Gamestop had 2 giant PS4 banners and some pamphlets, i should have taken pictures but my Iphone was at crippling 6% battery. No logos of Xbox One anywhere to be found

Could be anecdotal and everything but if i was running the joint i would be doing the same thing, they have to look after their own asses first in regards to used games, also does not hurt to ride this positive train about PS4 that has emerged.

The clerk was telling people about Xbox One policies, not because Gamestop necessarily cares about our rights and all that jazz, its done purely for self interest of that company, but it is still a good thing they are telling everyone about this. I imagine they do not want to deal with all sorts of angry people who do not know about this and try to play their XBO games with no internet and the whole DRM thing.

Success

It would only make sense in Gamestops eyes to align more of their sales monies with the PS4. It makes transactions simpler since people already know what to do. Now with the Xbone, resale would require usernames, passwords and all sorts.

-
Success

Stimpack

But you can sell it somewhere else, you have a choice now, suporting MS means you will be stuck with it forever or accept whatever gamestop is willing to give you.

or don't accept Gamestop, because they're not the only option for used games. I prefer that option! Ebay sellers are my best friends.

Jomjom

Banned
Really? I didn't know California recognizes them as a pawn shop. That's pretty crazy, honestly.

Yeah GS possesses a pawn license in California in order to operate. Only diff is they don't offer you the choice of selling or pawning the item to them. Once you sell your game to them, there's no getting it back short of buying it at their price.

I can understand why GS would do this, it makes sense for them in the long run.

Also People I've spoken too have said they are trading in their 360s towards PS3 and or PS4 pre-orders right now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This. It's going to be a huge mess in a few months. I feel sorry for the people who have to process the returns.

Agreed. It's going to be crazy, especially in areas that don't have great broadband penetration.

Are you being ironic?
If you were to support MS then you'd have no choice but to sell your games to GameStop.

I was in GAME here in the UK yesterday and they had this massive poster with announced games for both consoles so far.
They had like 3 XBONE exclusives listed and a dozen or so PS4, including games that aren't exclusive like FF15 and KH3. It was like one of those fanboy comparisons pics from the start of this gen.

I walked past GAME in Manchester about two weeks ago and the windows were all plastered with Xbone adverts for pre-orders - nothing at all about PS4. I wonder if that's changed since E3...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hate to work at a Gamestop in Montana a week after Xbox one launch

As I mentioned in other threads, I really wonder if this will start a rift between Microsoft and Amazon similar to the one between Amazon and Nintendo (because of the 3DS screen scratching and high amount of returns).

The ironic thing is that this generation I have noticed that GS and GAME have both been happier pushing Xbox over PS3, initially because Xbox had a higher margin, and later because it was seen as the hardcore gamers console. It will be quite a change for them to push PS4 this time.

mokeyjoe

Ha, thought it was just me. I walked past GAME myself the other day and they had an Xbone promotional sign actually standing behind the PS4 sign in the window.

andycapps

If Gamestop is really pushing PS4 this time around, that's quite a change. I remember the times this gen that they pushed 360 and it's games pretty aggressively.

Top Bottom