• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it time for Fallout to go back to isometric?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I prefer immersive first-person, and real-time combat (I never VATS). Bethesda Fallout (well, Obsidian's New Vegas especially) is the Fallout for me. I would like for Bethesda's entries to be a bit less wacky.

Laptop1991

No, although to be fair, i wasn't a fan of Fallout until Bethesda made Fallout 3 in 1st and 3rd person view, as i came to Fallout from the TES games, so i don't blame original fans for wanting isometric back, that's how it started after all, but it would be like GTA going back to top down, i'm not sure it would be a better move, of course they won't do both!,

But what would be a better move, is if Bethesda got back to making Fallout a good SP experience again instead of Fallout 76 type online games with monetization as the main aim,

ZoukGalaxy

No No No GIF

No. Leave it third and first person. I think taking it back to isometric view could take some immersion away from it.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Considering MS owns both Fallout and Wasteland franchises, I don't really see a chance for mainline entry of Fallout coming back to isometric view

anthraticus

Banned
All POPAMOLERS... please disregard.

SPACE WRECK kicks off TODAY..

Colony Ship JUST got a release date for Nov 9th..

Underrail gets new DLC Nov 1..

Finally some INCLINE to be had for sci-fi RPG fans.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Or use xenoblade style camera, you can choose how close how far and which side left middle right shoulder you want, maybe. Even i play xenoblades series with first person sometimes.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I never had any nostalgia for the original games so I don't care, really. There's Wasteland 2 and 3 if I'll ever need a fix for a post-apocalyptic computer RPG.

I would rather have a new 3D Fallout game but on a completely new engine and with overhauled gameplay, but I guess that's even more unrealistic of a dream than a new isometric Fallout game.

I'm dying for a remastered /enhance edition of the first 2 games along the lines of Planscape Torment that was released on consoles.

Last edited:

Bkdk

They might release a new spinoff that is isometric but certainly not for the next big title in the series.

Sethbacca

Fallout 3/NV/4 is what got me into the series so I prefer the FPS take on the series, but I'd be down with a BG3 take on Fallout 1 & 2 remakes (I'd 100% prefer they be done in FPS form though).

Last edited:

Neilg

wasteland 4 in the divinity engine used for bg3.

And then Larian doing a spiritual successor to Arcanum as their next game - they'd never go full guns with a fallout, but a magic steampunk vibe would fit their MO.

Those would be perfect and Bethesda can keep the fallout license.

Adeptus

Nice to know that other people remember Arcanum! It was one of my favourite games as a teen. But I am afraid it is too niche to get sequel, even unofficial one.

BbMajor7th

I'd be down for it, but doubt it will ever happen. I do enjoy the irony however of Starfield being thoroughly spanked by the same isometric, turned-based RPG systems that they abandoned a decade ago when they took over the Fallout franchise.

Truthfully, I'd like them to do something totally different with Fallout 5. Jettison all the base-building shit, trim off all the fat and just go back to something that feels focused and immersive. They've rinsed the post-consumerist, post-nuclear schtick for long enough. They need to do with it what Nintendo did with Zelda: break it down to essential elements and rebuild from scratch a way that feels authentic, cohesive and fresh.

KXVXII9X

Wasteland is a pretty good substitute but with the growing interests in CRPGs, I can see Bethesda giving a studio the rights to make an isometric Fallout game.

Xyphie

A new Fallout Tactics similar to Gears Tactics would be amazing. Definitely not something they should do for Fallout 5 though.

Should Final Fantasy go back to turn based?

It makes no difference, the people that made it great are no longer in the company.

Same thing applies to Fallout

This is the answer. The people that made it great are no longer there. It doesn't matter if its isometric, first person, or seeing the earth from the moon.

Top Bottom