• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it too early to get into gaming Christmas spirit?

Drizzlehell

Banned
After all, in Philippines they already start celebrating Christmas in September so now with Halloween out of the way, I'm already starting to feel like getting into some Christmas jam with vidjagames and movies.

Of course, I won't go in full throttle until December but I was already thinking about playing some seasonal games. Maybe something that takes place during the winter, for starters. Like SSX for the PS3, or Steep for PS4. Then I could gradually move on to something that's more overtly in the spirit of the holidays, like Miles Morales, Arkham Origins, Dead Rising 4, or The Division.

So what's your favorite Christmas-themed gaming jam to get into as we approach the most wonderful time of the year?

Midn1ght

After all, in Philippines they already start celebrating Christmas in September.
Chris Pratt What GIF

Kacho

To me once Call of Duty and/or Assassin's Creed drops that's when we've officially hit the Christmas season. After a decade plus of those being the big holiday games, there's something comforting about them even though they're not Christmas themed.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Hell yeah, let's do it, then!

55S6.gif

Finna play some fine-ass Christmas games starting this week. Probably just gonna start out with something that has lots of snow in it, like Steep, or maybe Wasteland 3. I was also thinking about replaying The Division. Who know how much more time we have before Ubishit kills that game for good, and it has such an amazing Christmasy feel to it. I love it just for that, even if the game itself is a bit repetitive.

And to all Ebenezers and Grinches ITT - kick rocks.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nope.

My wife is already making me watch Hallmark and Lifetime Christmas romance movies. It's basically already Christmas.

MiguelItUp

October -> December is always my favorite time of year. The themes, the foods, the scents, etc. Big fan of all of it.

So it's never too early! You just do what makes you happy! Lord knows every year I'm looking forward to smelling the scent of pine again, lol.

I've realized there aren't enough Christmas themed video games out there that I've gotten into. I think my favorite may be Die Hard Trilogy. May seem a little too on the nose, but hey, sue me. :)

akimbo009

Gold Member
Never too early for Christmas. I've also realized every year people complain we celebrate too soon - so I think we've always celebrated it early and there's a bunch of grinches out there who complain about Christmas and the weather.

NEVER too early! I have a Christmas playlist on-call ready to go any time of the year. In my world it's always #MariahSZN she stay defrosted!

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
As for gaming, Kingdom Hearts always gives me some lovely fall/Christmas vibes. Disney magical stuff + some lovely settings like Traverse Town or Christmas Town = Joy.

2d7fd835eb15439839e4011813ff73f8c1f72c74.gif
kingdom-hearts-remix-63cfd.jpg
Oh nice, I have to check that out. That looks dope as hell.

I've realized there aren't enough Christmas themed video games out there that I've gotten into. I think my favorite may be Die Hard Trilogy. May seem a little too on the nose, but hey, sue me. :)
Agreed, we should have more of those kinds of games, although there are a few good choices that will set you up for the season if you've never played them:
Batman: Arkham Origins - takes place on Christmas Eve
Spider-Man: Miles Morales - New York covered in snow, Christmas decorations everywhere, there's even a Christmas dinner scene
Tom Clancy's The Division - a bit post-apocalyptic, granted, but again, it's New York covered in snow and with spectacular Christmas decorations lighting up the streets everywhere, the atmosphere in this game is amazing
Dead Rising 4 - I remember it being poorly received but it was my first Dead Rising game and I loved it, the Christmas theme going on here in the visual design department makes it a great pick for holiday playthrough

There are also a few expansion packs to existing games that I always like to revisit:
Saints Row IV - How the Saints Save Christmas
Duke Nukem: Nuclear Winter
Borderlands 2: How Marcus Saved Mercenary Day

pretty much all of the Christmas missions in the Hitman series

GymWolf

I don't have halloween\christmas themed gaming sessions if this is what you were asking.

But when i was child i liked to play tombola with the adults...

Drizzlehell

Banned
Does Ragnarök count as a Christmasy game? I mean, there’s snow and all..
If it has loads of snow in it then that's enough for me lol.

I also just realized that most of the Yakuza games take place during Christmas. And since I haven't played most of that series yet, maybe I'll make up for it this year...?

DR9FYVgUIAEAUUF.jpg

After all, in Philippines they already start celebrating Christmas in September so now with Halloween out of the way, I'm already starting to feel like getting into some Christmas jam with vidjagames and movies.

Of course, I won't go in full throttle until December but I was already thinking about playing some seasonal games. Maybe something that takes place during the winter, for starters. Like SSX for the PS3, or Steep for PS4. Then I could gradually move on to something that's more overtly in the spirit of the holidays, like Miles Morales, Arkham Origins, Dead Rising 4, or The Division.

So what's your favorite Christmas-themed gaming jam to get into as we approach the most wonderful time of the year?

I just think of SSX /Steep/ RR as the beginning of ski season, or even offseason games!

Christmas games for me:
Diddy Kong Racing
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Planet Coaster
Bayonetta series
Dungeon Defenders
FFXIV
FFVI

u2zSrPI.jpg

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i love christmas but when you celebrate it for 2 months straight it takes away some of the magic yknow

like at least wait until december. we gotta eat the turkey first

Drizzlehell

Banned
i love christmas but when you celebrate it for 2 months straight it takes away some of the magic yknow

like at least wait until december. we gotta eat the turkey first
But it always goes by so fast and then it's 12 months of waiting until the next one comes around. I feel like I really need to get it out of my system if I'm gonna wait that long in between.

Top Bottom