• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it wrong to get a pet to fight loneliness?

SPCTRE

FOSTER FOSTER FOSTER FOSTER

Your local shelters likely have programs where you can take in foster animals for a limited amount of time, then return them. Usually, you will get kittens that are too young to receive spay/neuter surgery. You feed and take care of them for a few weeks until they are old enough to be spayed, then you take them back to the shelter to be adopted by someone else. Less commonly, you can take care of adult cats that have undergone some kind of surgery and need time to heal and recover before they can be adopted.

Not only does this immensely help the shelter by freeing up space in their kennels, but it gives you time to experience owning and caring for an animal. It also lets you take in animals on a trial basis, and see if their personality is a good match for you. If you really like your foster cat, you can always choose to adopt it full time. There's a chance you might be mildly allergic to cats, so it also helps you see if having a cat present in your house persistently will give you sneezes and sniffles.

I am allergic to cats, so I exclusively foster. They don't bother me in limited amounts, but after a cat has been in my house for a few weeks I start to wake up with a stuffy nose every day, and find myself sneezing often. Fostering works out great because by the time my allergies set in, it's time for my kittens to go back and get their forever-home. Work with a No-Kill shelter, because obviously you don't want the pressure of thinking your animal might be euthanized if somebody else doesn't adopted it. Fortunately my entire city is No-Kill, so it's not an issue for me. Kittens are almost inevitably adopted anyway, it's the adult cats who have a hard time finding homes.

FOSTER FOSTER FOSTER FOSTER
I'll echo that and add that local shelters often also have programs for volunteers; e.g. dog-walking! great way to get your feet wet before you make a decision about adopting.

lord pie

I'm considering getting an older cat from the local shelter (she is 14).
I'm not that concerned about her age (other than ability to climb stairs, etc), but she has been in the shelter for over 6 months, and the way the shelter works all the cats have free roam over the entire building. I'm concerned she'd be lonely if I'm out most of the day and she's used to being around a lot of other cats, they can't tell if she is an indoors cat or not too.
I don't think I'm ready for two cats.

I don't want a kitten. I've seen too many people get kittens on a whim and get bored of them :/ also they are completely insane as kittens.
Also kinda selfish, but I can't commit to the possibility the cat could live 20+ yrs. A good 5 years is more manageable commitment.

Really not sure if I should do it.

carlsojo

I'm considering getting an older cat from the local shelter (she is 14).
I'm not that concerned about her age (other than ability to climb stairs, etc), but she has been in the shelter for over 6 months, and the way the shelter works all the cats have free roam over the entire building. I'm concerned she'd be lonely if I'm out most of the day and she's used to being around a lot of other cats, they can't tell if she is an indoors cat or not too.
I don't think I'm ready for two cats.

I don't want a kitten. I've seen too many people get kittens on a whim and get bored of them :/ also they are completely insane as kittens.
Also kinda selfish, but I can't commit to the possibility the cat could live 20+ yrs. A good 5 years is more manageable commitment.

Really not sure if I should do it.

Get the cat. Kittens are crazy!

Poppy

just chiming in to no one in particular, if you choose to purposefully find someone to sell you kittens instead of getting cats from a shelter you're a selfish dirtbag and you should stop

but yes op, i got two shelter brothers and they are great and can keep each other company all day

Zakalwe

Banned
Not if you're responsible enough to care for it properly.

It can also be quite expensive if vets need to be involved.

If you can handle these things then no, it isn't wrong at all.

Twice over I've adopted older dogs, years ago. Both of whom had owners passed on and the dogs were being set up to go to a shelter. Even though both have sadly passed on too, I can't think how miserable my life would have been without either of them.

It's one of the oldest, most effective and kindest ways to combat loneliness OP. I'll add to the mass of comments that adopting older pets above getting them as newborn.

Atolm

Of course not, a pet can improve your life in many ways. I live alone since 4 years ago and most of my friends have left the city. Life would be much more difficult to cope without my little cat friend...

Having a pet's a good way to deal with loneliness. My cat got me through some pretty dark times. Even though she's gone now, I cherish the time we had and can't imagine I'd have made it without her.

As far as taking in a kitten/a pair of kittens...it's pretty hard work. I adopted two kittens from the local shelter around a year ago and they're hyperactive tyrants. I love 'em to bits, but youngsters definitely aren't the way to go unless you can devote serious time to them. An older cat will be much more chill and appreciate being given a good home.

It's a great reason to get a pet!

Just be nice to it. And feed it pizza.

feed it the appropriate pet food - not pizza

A rescue will be as grateful for you, as you are for him/her.

No, it's not wrong at all. Pets make great companions. Just make sure you're equipped to look after it properly, it's not left at home alone for too long and if possible get more than 1 so they have companionship.

Darksol

I just asked my guinea pigs what they think. Neither of them seem to care why we bought them, so long as we give them premium timothy hay and choice green peppers.

I have three bunnies, so no.

My wife and I used to have two house rabbits. They were lovely pets, although bunny-proofing the place was a pain in the backside! One was lovely and affectionate, but the other was grouchy and didn't really like being picked up so they were very different personalities but loved each other so much, and they used to bink in the back garden so we knew they were happy. We have three kids now who would like pets, and I may consider bunnies again when they're a bit older because they're such lovely, gentle animals.

Living for something other than yourself is a major source of strength. When our existence have no bearing on others, we're reminded of the total terrifying truth of the meaningless of life. Your career, your money, your material possesions, your accomplishments. All meaningless, and all will end with you.

I think it's a highly noble goal to coexist with animals and plants that we share this world with. They give a perspective to that man made societies and the goals and values within are just a construct.

I don't think animals are a cure for loneliness, as much as a reminder of that while we are alone, that is not scary nor necessarily wrong. When I've been upset, or felt strongly about something, interacting with my pet has always helped me sort of internalize that it doesn't really matter.
The dog doesn't care. It lives in the moment, not in the past or the future. It inspires me to try and do the same, and that is part of why I think we glorify pets. We really need them to remind ourselves that not everything we do in our daily life, hamster wheel routine is true.

Owning pets in the future is def one of my major life goals. I want both cats and dogs. And Axolotls. xD

mid83

I ended up adopting a rescue dog during a pretty tough time in my life. Having her there made a world of difference. Not that my situation was anywhere near as serious, but there is a reason dogs are used to help vets with PTSD and as therapy animals for patients in the hospital.

Even during good times having a pet is great. Just be sure you take care of them. A pet will change your life.

Aiii

So not worth it
Even better, get two so your pet has a companion pet for when you're not around.

Get rescues from the shelter and you're basically batting a thousand in the karma department, along with getting some much needed companionship.

I tell people I got my cats because that way at least when I'm talking to myself I can pretend I'm talking to the cats instead.

Lonely you + Lonely animal from a shelter = Two happier living beings on this planet.

Absolutely go for it, a companion is always good be it human or otherwise.

sirap

They're all strays or rescues I've picked up throughout the years. I'm lucky enough to live on pretty big property so all of them have enough space to chill. None of them actually live inside except one who lost his leg in a car accident. That one needs a bit of extra care cause he's never gotten over the loss. Very clingy and constantly demands scratches in places his stump can't reach lol.

Try to get at least a pair. Theyll keep each other company while youre away.
^^^ This... especially if they're siblings, they'll get along well and won't miss you so much when you're at work, or if you take a day trip off somewhere...

It's a 20 year commitment though... if you're getting into dating, remember that some people don't like or are allergic to cats, so be sure to screen people like that out of your "potentials" pool because you have these little furrballs for life...

Laekon

^^^ This... especially if they're siblings, they'll get along well and won't miss you so much when you're at work, or if you take a day trip off somewhere...

It's a 20 year commitment though... if you're getting into dating, remember that some people don't like or are allergic to cats, so be sure to screen people like that out of your "potentials" pool because you have these little furrballs for life...
I have a 1 bedroom apartment so 2 cats is a bit much as it's hard enough finding room for 1 liter box. The kittens would have become shelter cats but the person that found them decided to try and adopt the mother (and get her fixed) and find homes for the kittens instead bringing them to a shelter. After the response I'm gonna take one if no one else does and, if they are all gone, start looking for shelter cat.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think it's an excellent reason actually. IMO one of the main reasons for getting a pet is for companionship.

Keep a bunch of scratching boxes around. The more appropriate places they have to scratch on, the less interested they are in your furniture. Our cat has sharp claws, but our furniture is fine. Be sure to get rid of any miniblinds and put up curtains. Cats must stare out the window all day.

If you can, leash train it. Ours likes going for walks about laying out in the yard on the leash.

Top Bottom