• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is MS is going to Kill Game Pass Before CoD releases?

Is Game Pass dead by the end of the year?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
The Xbox would be in the exactly same situation if the Gamepass didn't exist.
Game Pass saved Xbox in the last half of the Xbone Gen. without game pass, Xbox indeed would be in the exactly same situation.... 6 yeas ago. it gave Xbox time but they couldn't fix their shit.

You aren't blender.

catch and release cooking GIF by Laff

You’re SO close to having the epiphany as to why Xbox is falling apart but aren’t quite there yet. It’ll sink in, eventually. Maybe.
Why do you care if they fall apart? When they fall apart they fall apart… in the time until then I enjoy cheap games. Again, why does this service trigger people like you so much?

Last edited:
Yes, Microsoft needs more popular games ASAP.
like yesterday... but yeah. And that's their issue.

not only they are having the worst PR cycle ever. a bunch of Xbox content creators are saying "this feels different"

The Hellblade 2 marketing cycle has been off and with MS's luck that game could be another disappointment

then what? Avowed and Indiana Jones can get delayed to next year and between hellblade and those games, MS can release more games on PS5.

also more closures/layoffs from Xbox

and that's MS in a vacumm. PS5 should have a strong marketing cycle in the upcoming mont

with all of this happening, The pressure from MS towards Xbox to financially perform is going to increse, leaving them with no room to take any more "long time bets

hinch7

Not by the end of year but I can imagine Microsoft slowly winding down the Xbox brand and Game Pass with it. With the way they are cleaning house and focusing on the big hitters, they are seemingly speeding up the process to get returns from the ABK aquisition and Bethesda - to a point.

They'll kill Game Pass Ultimate when Sony kills PS Plus Extra/Premium pretty much. Mean they won't anytime soon. I can see them pulling Day One games eventually, though.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Not a chance.

They’ll increase the cost but not kill it off.

Think I said before they’ll probably introduce tiers of GP next.

GPU Pro - £19.99 a month - EVERYTHING including CoD and all MS day one shit (may even go out on a limb and put it above £20)
GPU - £15 a month the rest of it and how it is today.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I'm sure that's the idea. but money is money 🤯
What so you think they’ll kill Gamepass, for now, because they need money even though their longterm plan is to grow it?

Gamepass will stay. 100%. They might not put games on there day 1 though, they’re already going away from that with ”early access” premium editions. I expect the delays to Gamepass release to increase. Or if you want to go with the PR stunt. I expect the ”early access” to start earlier…

midnightAI

Scrap it? They'll double down on it. While I don't actually believe they'll release COD on it day one, I do think they'll add many perks for Gamepass users (this is MS, what's the betting those are pay to win perks for free also?) AND they'll increase sub price.

Last edited:

digdug2

no... but xbox also doesn't know how to run shit.

day 1 should have never been a thing, should be all 1st party games on gamepass 6 months or so after launch, and the subscription should be kept at a favorable price.
That just makes sense. I think that if you have Game Pass, you should receive a 15-20% discount on new 1st party games. But don't just dump them on GP on day one. I have so many games on my GP that I played for 10 minutes because they were "free" and I never touched them again because there was no perceived value.

Akuji

Being confronted with that question has Shown me that xbox as a Company/division has reached a point i cant process anymore. I cant tell u what they do next. I would think killing gamepass is not in the cards but i also thought saying that hifi rush is the thing they need while closing that Studio is not in the cards ...

Yeah, who knows. I dont think Microsoft knows.

What so you think they’ll kill Gamepass,
Not before what has happened, after it and thinking about it... yes.

for now, because they need money even though their longterm plan is to grow it?
that's the thing.

Game Pass has been in the market for around 6-7 years, and its growth has flatlined

You said "longterm plan"... that was the plan since 2016 (Xbox strategy) and has completely failed. whatever MS is doing now, is a a completely different plan

we have that quote saying MS is debating the release of CoD in game pass, . how can this be? such question shouldn't even exist in the first place.... that was the purpose of the acquisition ... right?

then you could say.... but Sarah Bond said.....yeah... who is believing in Xbox's executives at this point?

the interesting aspect is the politics inside Xbox. ABK is bigger and stronger than Xbox + Zenimax combined and I can guarantee you that ABK dosen't give a flying fuck about the xbox brand/consoles and much less Game Pass.

Xbox as a publisher is interested in selling games, GP is opposite to this philosophy.

Robb

Gold Member
Not a chance. I think it’s more likely they push it further, stop making hardware, and kill off more studios.

Last edited:
kill off more studios
That's a guarantee and contradiction.

the idea was for Xbox to have a lot of studios to produce content for Game Pass. now they killed half of Zenimax and Jason said that next round will be Xbox Core studios.

it literally doesn't make sense.

djjinx2

Oh boy, they are doubling down on GamePass with more perks coming.

Where's Heisenberg with the inside info when you need him ;)

I'm nobody

i just want to know the general vibes.

the more I think on it. the more likely I see MS killing Game Pass.

Cutting to the chase:

Xbox needs to make money fast and furiously.

1. We know Xbox Studios + Zenimax are not contributing to it.
2. Game Pass hasn't grown. and the growth projections for subscription services are not encouraging
3. Hardware will continue to decline
4. ABK is the sole reason for Xbox's growth in the last quarter; without them, Xbox´s revenue would have declined.
5. The dilemma is existential:
If you launch CoD on Game Pass and the strategy doesn't work out, you'd not only lose direct game sales but also one of the most important cash cows in your entire business...a business desperate to make money. The gambit is too damn risky and is not worth it when CoD by itself is working as a sub-service/platform.​
Edit:​
Now you can change your vote based on the events of the next two quarters 😁
If people are relying on game pass all the time should quit gaming
Gaming comes with a cost and devs need support of face what happening now

Fredrik

Not before what has happened, after it and thinking about it... yes.

that's the thing.

Game Pass has been in the market for around 6-7 years, and its growth has flatlined

You said "longterm plan"... that was the plan since 2016 (Xbox strategy) and has completely failed. whatever MS is doing now, is a a completely different plan

we have that quote saying MS is debating the release of CoD in game pass, . how can this be? such question shouldn't even exist in the first place.... that was the purpose of the acquisition ... right?

then you could say.... but Sarah Bond said.....yeah... who is believing in Xbox's executives at this point?

the interesting aspect is the politics inside Xbox. ABK is bigger and stronger than Xbox + Zenimax combined and I can guarantee you that ABK dosen't give a flying fuck about the xbox brand/consoles and much less Game Pass.

Xbox as a publisher is interested in selling games, GP is opposite to this philosophy.
Can’t believe you’re serious about this. Everybody will move toward subscriptions sooner later, you realize this don’t you? Are they going to start a new service later then?

Nah this is what will happen. They already delay games 5 days on Gamepass, through a PR stunt of releasing premium editions 5 days earlier. They will just increase that gap. Like Sony do with PS+. Get the enthusiasts to pay who can’t stand waiting for games. Turn them into living ads from talking on social media and turn up the FOMO. It works.

If people are relying on game pass all the time should quit gaming
Gaming comes with a cost and devs need support of face what happening now
I don't think is an issue with the consumers, at the end of the day Game Pass is not growing...meaning, there are not enough people interested in the service in the first place.

Kamina

Golden Boy
that's Killing it.
Well, that depends. Let’s say they delay it some days only.
Some people will buy it, others will wait. Its similar to this weird trend that allows people access to a game 3 days earlier if they buy the ultra premium special edition.

Last edited:
Can’t believe you’re serious about this. Everybody will move toward subscriptions sooner later, you realize this don’t you? Are they going to start a new service later then?
yeah, the service/platform are the games themselves

season passes/multiple modes etc..

Nah this is what will happen. They already delay games 5 days on Gamepass, through a PR stunt of releasing premium editions 5 days earlier. They will just increase that gap. Like Sony do with PS+. Get the enthusiasts to pay who can’t stand waiting for games. Turn them into living ads from talking on social media and turn up the FOMO. It works.
we know HiFi, Redfall, Starfield,Forza didn't grow Game Pass.

ABK has ongoing games that by themselves are the service/platform. is not only redundant to put them on game pass is a detriment to the economy of those games.

and remember, Xbox fucked up the economy inside their own ecosystem.... because of Game Pass.

killing Game Pass means getting rid off of the day one aspect of it.

Well, that depends. Let’s say they delay it some days only.
Some people will buy it, others will wait. Its the inverse of this weird trend to allow people access to a game 3 days earlier if they buy the ultra premium special edition.
yeah. MS will try to circumvent it's promise of Day One First Party Games. even more aggressively now that ever

DJ12

I voted not a chance, as killing gamepass is exactly the sort of decision Microsoft are incapable of making.

Wouldn't expect them to start making smart choices at this point, may as well see it through until the death of xbox.

xrnzaaas

Not a chance.

They’ll increase the cost but not kill it off.

Think I said before they’ll probably introduce tiers of GP next.

GPU Pro - £19.99 a month - EVERYTHING including CoD and all MS day one shit (may even go out on a limb and put it above £20)
GPU - £15 a month the rest of it and how it is today.
Microsoft needs to find a way to hide removing day1 games from what currently is GPU, because announcing it just like that will mean losing a ton of subs. Easiest way to do that is to introduce new tiers with different names, they already successfully confused people with how they name their consoles.

mdkirby

They should just switch to the same model as ps+ … the only difference is their first party games day one nonsense, which is extremely value destructive across the entire industry and costs microsoft a bloody fortune.

Add them to the service roughly 1-2 years after release. It still wrecks long tail sales, but you still get the bulk of your product sales, and still get subscription revenue.

It’ll piss off many people sure, I wouldn’t be surprised if they lost 30% of current subscribers too. But they went an entire year without releasing any first party games and still grew, so it might not be so bad.

If they don’t, then yeah they are fucked.
It made about 3 and a half billion last year in REVENUE. They spend over 1bn on securing third party titles. So down to 2.5…they have tens of thousands of employees at microsoft games studios, that’ll be a good 2bn…so down to half a billion. Marketing their games and gamespass will easily be a few hundred million. Server and infrastructure costs to handle all those games, and third party tools and licenses, office space for all the studios. I’d be surprised if gamespass generates much “profit” at all, it’ll be enough to make statements like “gamespass is profitable” but marginally, especially if they “give cod away”. It certainly won’t be generating enough profit to even make a small dent in the best part of 100bn they’ve spent on their acquisition sprees. Which really was spent to service gamespass so really gamespass is in a massive financial hole and has a spoon to dig out with.

i just want to know the general vibes.

the more I think on it. the more likely I see MS killing Game Pass.

Cutting to the chase:

Xbox needs to make money fast and furiously.

1. We know Xbox Studios + Zenimax are not contributing to it.
2. Game Pass hasn't grown. and the growth projections for subscription services are not encouraging
3. Hardware will continue to decline
4. ABK is the sole reason for Xbox's growth in the last quarter; without them, Xbox´s revenue would have declined.
5. The dilemma is existential:
If you launch CoD on Game Pass and the strategy doesn't work out, you'd not only lose direct game sales but also one of the most important cash cows in your entire business...a business desperate to make money. The gambit is too damn risky and is not worth it when CoD by itself is working as a sub-service/platform.​
Edit:​
Now you can change your vote based on the events of the next two quarters 😁
What a surprise another Xbox concern thread 😆

OP you're trying I'll give you that 😅

Top Bottom