• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is MSG and Aspartame slowly poisoning us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
i love all sausages, soy sauce, ranch dressing, taco bell, and diet sodas but these headaches are killing me, literally.

Is the U.S. Food Industry
Purposefully Poisoning Us?

"Excitotoxins, the Taste That Kills," is a shocking book by Dr. Russell L. Blaylock, a professor of neurosurgery at the Medical University of Mississippi, that claims certain ingredients found in most prepared food are poisoning us.

Blaylock's book inspired further research in which a variety of other papers by notable experts strongly support his claims that a "food enhancer" called monosodium glutamate (MSG), and an artificial sweetener called aspartame, are linked to a wide variety of human brain disorders. They are saying these two popular supplements may be related to such horrors as brain cancer, stroke, high blood pressure, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, and Alzheimer's disease.

It has long been suspected that these so-called "food additives" also are causing arthritis, lung, and reproduction disorders. They also are believed to cause allergic reactions in many people. Asthmatics are especially targeted.

What is scary about this story is that both MSG and aspartame are so widely used, it is difficult to find canned, frozen or prepared foods in the United States that do not contain either one or the other, and sometimes both, mixed with the ingredients. The Food and Drug Administration approved these products as safe for public consumption.

According to information supplied by Leading Edge International Research Group, a data collection organization, food manufacturers skillfully hide MSG behind many ingredient names that are printed on food packages. The names include: gelatin, calcium caseinate, textured protein, sodium caseinate, yeast nutrient, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed protein, carrageenan, maltodextrin, malt extract, natural food flavoring, bouillon, natural chicken flavoring, natural beef flavoring, broth, ultra-pasteurized, soy sauce extract, whey protein concentrate, pectin, and anything protein fortified, containing flavorings, enzyme modified, or seasoned.

Leading Edge also claims MSG reactions have been reported in soaps, shampoo, hair conditioners and cosmetics. In these products MSG is hidden in ingredients that include the words "hydrolyzed" and "amino acids," the report said.

An organization called Truth in Advertising also is expressing concerns that since 1997, farmers are even spraying MSG on growing vegetables, grains and fruit, although the reason seems unclear. The group suggests that the spraying may be going on so the industry can "propagate the fiction that MSG occurs naturally in food."

MSG, which has been around since its invention at the turn of the century, has been popular because of its ability to enhance the flavors in soups and other foods. It also covers taste in spoiling foods, thus gaining a false reputation as a food preservative.

James Schlatter, a chemist for the G. D. Searle Company accidentally discovered aspartame in the 1970s, while he was testing an anti-ulcer drug. Monsanto Corp. bought out Searle and began marketing the chemical under the brand name NutraSweet about ten years later.

Both MSG and aspartame are found in milk products, soft drinks, candy, chewing gum, health drink powders, some medications and in binders for nutrients, supplements and both prescription and over-the-counter medicines.

Here are some of the products known to contain aspartame: sugar-free foods, chewing gum, beverages, gelatin desserts, packaged sweeteners and ice cream; breath mints, cereals, cocoa mixes, coffee beverages, frozen desserts, juice drinks, multivitamins, pharmaceuticals and health supplements, instant teas and coffees, topping mixes, wine coolers and yogurt. Critics say aspartame also has been found in products where it is not listed on the label.

If this information is accurate, anyone who eats processed foods of any kind, shampoos their hair, or takes vitamins and nutritional supplements probably ingests large amounts of both MSG and aspartame daily without knowing it.

These two substances are called excitotoxins because they "excite" brain neurons due to their chemical similarity to neurotransmitters found in the body. Because of this, these chemicals turn into dangerous and addictive compounds that kill brain cells. People enjoy the effect they get from excitotoxins because it produces a slight rush. For a brief time, the mind speeds up, the "victim" finds he or she is thinking more clearly and reacting more sharply. Experiments have shown that people become addicted to foods that contain large concentrations of both MSG, like the tomato paste used in pasta dishes, and aspartame, found in diet soft drinks.

The rush created by a mixture of aspartame and caffeine, which is found in many carbonated soft drinks and commercially sold coffee and tea beverages, is especially toxic.

Dr. Blaylock warns that the food additives we love so much are slowly killing our brains. While we think they are giving us a mid-day boost, the excitotoxins are busy stimulating the neural cells in our brains to death.

A Leading Edge report said experiments show that within 15 to 30 minutes after neurons suspended in tissue culture are exposed to high levels of glutamate, they swell up like balloons. The chemical process going on within the cell releases free radicals that kill brain cells within three hours, the report said.

Lower doses of glutamate produces the same effect, but it just takes longer; sometimes up to 24 hours before the cells die. "The normal concentration of antioxidants in the brain is not enough to handle the excess free radicals produced in this way," the Leading Edge report concluded.

Aspartame damages not only to the brain, but the entire body, according to articles that appeared in Nexus Magazine in 1995 and 1996.

In the 1995 report, author Mark Gold claims aspartame "accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the U. S. Food and Drug Administration. Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death, as recently disclosed in a Feb. 1994 Department of Health and Human Services report."

There is a list of about 90 different reactions to this drug, including migraine headaches, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rash, depression, fatigue, irritability, insomnia, vision loss, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, vertigo, memory loss and joint pain.

Like MSG, the ingestion of excessive aspartic acid from aspartame appears to either trigger or intensify neurological disorders such as: brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, and diabetes.

Aspartic acid is an amino acid, which makes it appear to be a natural substance. However, when taken in its free form, or unbound to proteins, it causes a dramatic increase in the blood plasma level. As stated earlier, high levels of this poison excites brain cells and eventually kills them.

About ten years ago the FDA approved aspartame for public consumption, in spite of available evidence from the start that the product had dangerous side effects. At about the same time, the agency banned the import of stevia, a natural leaf that has been used for hundreds of years by the Japanese as an alternative sweetener. Stevia has never been shown to have adverse effects on humans.

Why was stevia banned? Would we dare to think the FDA did it to prevent a safe and natural product from stealing private company profits from aspartame?

In spite of the growing evidence that these additives are creating a society of zombies and people slowly dying of a variety of crippling disorders, the U. S. Food and Drug Administration has allowed the production and distribution of them in our daily food supply.

What is going on here?

good article on what to look for. http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm general rule, stay away from foods overly processed and/or anything really salty.

Seth C

Aspartame is most likely bad for us. We know of course that in large amounts it causes cancer in lab rats. MSG however is as natural as salt, and we've been eating it for hundreds of years (basically as long as we've been fermenting anything). It only gets talked about because some people do seem to be allergic to it, but the same could be said for wheat or anything else.

Personally I'm not worried about either of them, but I only get aspartame when I chew gum (which I don't even do regularly) and I tend to not eat a lot of processed foods that would have MSG in them. Anything can be bad for you if you have too much of it.

I really need to start weeding the terribly large amounts of diet soda I drink from my diet. It troubles me that I drink so much, especially with how bad it could be for me.

Edit: And on a side note, what would be a safe beverage that I could drink in its place besides simply water?

jenov4

crowphoenix said:
Edit: And on a side note, what would be a safe beverage that I could drink in its place besides simply water?

Personally, I enjoyed chilled tea. Just brew a huge batch and leave it in the fridge. Just add a little honey or sugar for taste.

I also don't mind lime / lemon slice with water. I personally can't stand drinking plain water (unless I'm mega parched), so that's what I do. Low calorie and extremely good for ya!

But yes, anything processed is definitely not a good thing for your body. Moderation is key!

Seth C

crowphoenix said:
I really need to start weeding the terribly large amounts of diet soda I drink from my diet. It troubles me that I drink so much, especially with how bad it could be for me.

Just give in and drink water. You have only convinced yourself that you don't like it or won't enjoy it, but that's something you've broken. If you switch to water eventually you will crave it.

crowphoenix said:

Perhaps iced tea, sparkling water, or a soda with real sugar?

Garcia

It wouldn't surprise me if 20 years from now they found out that a good portion of all the junk/processed food is directly related to at least 70% of the cancers in the world.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Garcia said:
It wouldn't surprise me if 20 years from now they found out that a good portion of all the junk/processed food is directly related to at least 70% of the cancers in the world.

5 years later the world is introduced to the soylent corporation.

Seth C said:
Personally I'm not worried about either of them, but I only get aspartame when I chew gum (which I don't even do regularly) and I tend to not eat a lot of processed foods that would have MSG in them. Anything can be bad for you if you have too much of it.

Aww fuck

I chew gum all the time at work and I just check it and it has Aspartame in it

GAF is getting me all scared :(

ZAK

I can't believe these soulless corporations. Don't they have the decency to poison us quickly instead of making us suffer?

Chojin said:
I hate the word "toxin"

::puts on his Kinoki foot pads::
:lol Are those things real? Do they really work?

Anyway, my girlfriend drives me crazy always looking at the packaging in the supermarket for MSG and it's other hidden names. I haven't eaten a Pop-tart in over two years.

ZAK said:
I can't believe these soulless corporations. Don't they have the decency to poison us quickly instead of making us suffer?
And lose their customers? It sucks that our daily lives are so dependent on corporations...

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I knew that aspartame was bad (it basically works like bootleg sugar - tastes sweet but is intentionally gimped chemically so that it doesn't give the energy that sugar does, thus not giving the body excess energy that it would turn into fat. But because it's gimped, breaks down into something weird instead of the natural by-products of sugar.), but I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to MSG. I should read up more about it - I eat my share of MSG-related instant foods, and Asian restaurants use it really often, too.

Slavik81

....Huntington's disease....
Sorry, what?

How is MSG or Aspartame going to cause a genetic disease?

Seth C said:
Aspartame is most likely bad for us. We know of course that in large amounts it causes cancer in lab rats.
The Dose Makes the Poison

To re-enforce that, let's examine the carcinogens present in a turkey dinner.
http://phys4.harvard.edu/~wilson/HolidayMenu.html

Just to take an example from the link above, standard bread rolls contain the following carcinogens:
acetaldehyde, benzene, ethyl alcohol, benzo(a)pyrene, ethyl carbamate, furan derivatives, furfural

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
About ten years ago the FDA approved aspartame for public consumption, in spite of available evidence from the start that the product had dangerous side effects. At about the same time, the agency banned the import of stevia, a natural leaf that has been used for hundreds of years by the Japanese as an alternative sweetener. Stevia has never been shown to have adverse effects on humans.

Why was stevia banned? Would we dare to think the FDA did it to prevent a safe and natural product from stealing private company profits from aspartame?

Fucking...damn it...

I've known about Stevia, but never tried it. I've always steered clear of diet sodas thanks to aspartame. Can't fucking imagine banning something natural and healthy just so companies can sell us a chemical flavoring to make a dime... bleh

maharg

idspispopd
Extollere said:
Fucking...damn it...

I've known about Stevia, but never tried it. I've always steered clear of diet sodas thanks to aspartame. Can't fucking imagine banning something natural and healthy just so companies can sell us a chemical flavoring to make a dime... bleh

Something being natural doesn't make it either safe or healthy. Unless you think magic mushrooms and cocaine are healthy.

I drink aspartame-sweetened green tea every day at work. I'm not too worried about it, despite the fact that it isn't "natural" and from "mother earth".

maharg said:
Something being natural doesn't make it either safe or healthy. Unless you think magic mushrooms and cocaine are healthy.

Mushrooms are quite safe, actually. And cocaine is heavily processed.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Aspartame ain't doing shit to me because I don't fucking go near that cancer crap. I don't mind being fat, man.

I don't buy crap that people spew about MSG, though. They use it like salt in China. It has a little shaker next to the other things you season your food with. I'm sure it's as bad for you as salt is.

Stevia was totally banned because as an herb you couldn't patent it, but this guy and his anti-excitotoxin crusade is a nut.

Oh man, they even say that the Japanese use Stevia all the time to prove that it's safe, but ignore that the Chinese use MSG all the time. The lols! Oh, the lols.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
maharg said:

Cocaine isn't naturally occurring though. Coca leaves (from which cocaine comes from) have been used regionally throughout history for medicinal and health purposes. Stevia is used as a natural sweetener in many different parts of the world. It is not a chemical produced in a lab.

Ok... interesting though

wiki said:
Rebiana is the trade name for a patent-pending, calorie-free, food and beverage sweetener derived from stevia and developed jointly by The Coca-Cola Company and Cargill. In May 2007, Coca-Cola announced plans to obtain approval for its use as a food additive within the United States by 2009. Coca-Cola has also announced plans to market rebiana-sweetened products in 12 countries that allow stevia's use as a food additive. The two companies are conducting their own studies in an effort to gain regulatory approval in the United States and the European Union.[19][20] In May 2008, Cargill announced the availability of Truvia, a consumer brand of Rebiana.[21] PepsiCo and the Whole Earth Sweetener Company also announced PureVia, their brand of stevia-based sweetener.[22]

The big companies are getting on board with Stevia?

In 1991, at the request of an anonymous complaint, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) labeled stevia as an "unsafe food additive" and restricted its import. The FDA's stated reason was "toxicological information on stevia is inadequate to demonstrate its safety."[41] This ruling was controversial, as stevia proponents pointed out that this designation violated the FDA's own guidelines under which any natural substance used prior to 1958 with no reported adverse effects should be generally recognized as safe (GRAS).

Stevia occurs naturally, requiring no patent to produce it. As a consequence, since the import ban in 1991, marketers and consumers of stevia have shared a belief that the FDA acted in response to industry pressure.[15] Arizona congressman Jon Kyl, for example, called the FDA action against stevia "a restraint of trade to benefit the artificial sweetener industry."[42]

Hrmmmmm σ___σ

maharg

idspispopd
Price Dalton said:
Mushrooms are quite safe, actually. And cocaine is heavily processed.

As far as I understand it's about as processed as wine. Maybe a bit more. Obviously as it goes out through distribution channels it gets less and less natural as it's cut with more and more crap, but still.

At any rate, the 'natural is safe' movement is under the delusion that only 'unnatural' things kill you slowly. Probably because their natural stuff never has to go through any actual long term studies to determine whether or not it is safe long term. To that mindset, you can tell if something natural is safe or not based merely on whether or not it causes you to instantly fall ill or to your death.

Also this article lost all credibility when it started talking about farmers spraying their crops with MSG in some Grand Conspiracy to make MSG out to be natural (again, as if something being natural makes it safe -- a delusion most people don't really suffer from).

Seth C

Slavik81 said:
Sorry, what?

How is MSG or Aspartame going to cause a genetic disease?

The Dose Makes the Poison

To re-enforce that, let's examine the carcinogens present in a turkey dinner.
http://phys4.harvard.edu/~wilson/HolidayMenu.html

Just to take an example from the link above, standard bread rolls contain the following carcinogens:
acetaldehyde, benzene, ethyl alcohol, benzo(a)pyrene, ethyl carbamate, furan derivatives, furfural

I just said that I'm not afraid of aspartame in the amount I consume it. That doesn't mean it is good for us though, and I'm not sure how you make your argument by then comparing it to known carcinogens? :p

MSG is the biggest straw man in food culture. Unless you're allergic to it, there is no harm in consuming modest amounts of MSG. I have a canister of it (Accent brand) in my kitchen and add it liberally when cooking Asian food.

I avoid aspartame not because of health concerns but because it tastes fucking nasty. Real sugar, please.

ultim8p00

Banned
Holly shit. I'm chewing wrigley's doublemint and it says "aspartame" right there. They didn't even bother hiding it.

**throws away pack of gum**

Anyways, I think it's the way we eat them that makes them poisonous. A little bit of pop every now and then doesn't hurt. Although, I have lived with people that eat nothing BUT processed food. I actually buy raw veggies and meats and cook them.

madara

Been awhile since I seen an Aspartame is killing us discussion. I remember it being blamed for Gulf War Syndrome and some online guy was trying tell me it caused my MS and I should get bee sting treatment. Oh natural remedy scam artists, how I love thee. :lol

Slavik81

Seth C said:
I just said that I'm not afraid of aspartame in the amount I consume it. That doesn't mean it is good for us though, and I'm not sure how you make your argument by then comparing it to known carcinogens? :p
I was comparing it to known carcinogens to make the point that just because something is a carcinogen does not mean its dangerous. Just about every food you eat will contain small amounts of carcinogens and toxins.

For example, were you to eat 20 pounds of spinach in a single sitting, you'd die from kidney damage done by the naturally occurring oxalic acid. But just because eating 20 pounds will destroy your kidneys does not mean eating a quarter-pound will cause any kidney damage at all.

ultim8p00 said:
Anyways, I think it's the way we eat them that makes them poisonous. A little bit of pop every now and then doesn't hurt. Although, I have lived with people that eat nothing BUT processed food. I actually buy raw veggies and meats and cook them.
Watch out!
Carrots contain aniline and caffeic acid, both proven to cause cancer in rodents!

Seth C said:
Just give in and drink water. You have only convinced yourself that you don't like it or won't enjoy it, but that's something you've broken. If you switch to water eventually you will crave it.
Oh, I love water. I just want a drink with flavor too. I drink lots of anything I drink be it water or diet soda.

jenov4 said:
Personally, I enjoyed chilled tea. Just brew a huge batch and leave it in the fridge. Just add a little honey or sugar for taste.

I also don't mind lime / lemon slice with water. I personally can't stand drinking plain water (unless I'm mega parched), so that's what I do. Low calorie and extremely good for ya!

But yes, anything processed is definitely not a good thing for your body. Moderation is key!

Ei. The hardest part is just how much I drink of anything, combined with the fact that I try to look for stuff to drink that has zero calories. Of course, that means processed, and there is my problem. I'll have to work on it, and maybe just drink tea with dinner, and give that honey tea a try.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
In other news, the average life span continues to rise despite increasing consumption MSG, Aspartame, babies, Jackie Chan's piss, and Coke Zero.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Ela Hadrun said:
Stevia was totally banned because as an herb you couldn't patent it, but this guy and his anti-excitotoxin crusade is a nut.
How can you ban an herb? oh, let's ban mint, because nobody can patent it... wtf? I hope you're joking, if not, that truly sucks and it should change. Aspartame is the sweetener of the devil.

rykomatsu

glutamic acid occurs naturally...it's in seaweed..has been used in quite a few asian food preparations for ages.

Branduil

If only we had a large regulative government organization to protect us from these things, so we could never suffer from them.

Diablos

I'm not as sensitive to aspartame as I used to be, but I'm telling you, there's something really messed up about it.

Consuming aspartame for extended periods of time (2-3+ weeks) has made me experience the following:

-Frequent headaches
-Harder to concentrate
-Harder to breathe
-Sore chest
-Not as much energy when working out etc.
-Digestive problems

It's happened way too much every single time I try to drink anything with aspartame to be a coincidence. I will rarely if ever consume aspartame now. I tried again this year, the same shit happened.

Far too many of us have experienced problems with it. Aspartame is a perfect example of what happens when corporations don't give a fuck about you or your health, and use their power/influence to get around the problem.

I can taste artificial sweeteners in pretty much anything, but damn...my Dentyne Ice has aspartame in it. I've managed to avoid all things diet, but that shit flew right in under my radar. And I just bought a big box of it from Costco.

Sibylus

Banned
PrivateWHudson said:
I can taste artificial sweeteners in pretty much anything, but damn...my Dentyne Ice has aspartame in it. I've managed to avoid all things diet, but that shit flew right in under my radar. And I just bought a big box of it from Costco.
This week's gum is next year's Halloween candy!

junker

Diablos said:
I'm not as sensitive to aspartame as I used to be, but I'm telling you, there's something really messed up about it.

Consuming aspartame for extended periods of time (2-3+ weeks) has made me experience the following:

-Frequent headaches
-Harder to concentrate
-Harder to breathe
-Sore chest
-Digestive problems

I've been trying to ween myself off regular sodas by drinking Coke Zero for the last several weeks and I happen to feel similar. Maybe it's paranoia.

Diablos said:

-Frequent headaches
-Harder to concentrate
-Harder to breathe
-Sore chest
-Digestive problems

It's happened way too much every single time I try to drink anything with aspartame to be a coincidence. I will rarely if ever consume aspartame now. I tried again this year, the same shit happened.

Sounds like the generic warning list of side effects drug companies give for every drug they release. I think you're imagining it.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
DKnight said:
How can you ban an herb? oh, let's ban mint, because nobody can patent it... wtf? I hope you're joking, if not, that truly sucks and it should change. Aspartame is the sweetener of the devil.

You can't patent any kind of herb. There are hundreds of natural herbs and other things that have been proven and used for all kinds of ailments, in every which country, yet most people living here don't know about them or which ones to use because they can't be patented, or marketed as a treatment to anything. This is a part of our legal system that favors drug use. Stevia is legal to import, and use, but it can't legally be sold or marketed a sweetener, only a dietary supplement. If mints were known to cure any type of random symptom or disease it could never be sold as such, and nobody would know either because researchers won't go to the trouble wasting the millions and millions of dollars it costs to research for legal medicine and it and wouldn't get the FDA's approval either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom