• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sia dumb or does she just not care? Re: 'Music' /Autism

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainedRage

Banned
The singer Sia made a movie called 'Music', it depicts an autistic girls life in a musical style. She is getting called out for her depictions of ASD and ableism.

Kate Hudson calls criticism of Sia's controversially casted movie from autism community 'important dialogue' (msn.com)

Sia film 'Music' criticized for 'irresponsible' depiction of autism (nypost.com)

"Sia’s directorial debut “Music” is being panned by the autism community for what it says are inaccurate and dangerous depictions of the condition."

“I don’t even know where to start,” Camille Proctor, executive director and founder of The Color of Autism Foundation, told USA Today.
“I don’t like the portrayal of the young autistic woman. I feel like (Ziegler) was doing parody,” she told the paper.

One song from the movie...

As someone who has been around people with DCD and ASD my entire life its all pretty disgusting. This doesn't even touch on the fact they made the girl in the video mixed race by giving her some weird spray tan. This is one of the most cringy things an artist has done for money I have seen in some while. I hope Sia gets ALL THE SHIT for this crap.

Last edited:

Ionian

Having a Nephew with a mild form and ADHD and watching him grow from birth and how it affected his mannerisms, I find it mind boggling she thought this was a good idea.

I know she had her own demons in the past, was she on the spectrum as well? Thought it was alcohol and drugs which is why she ended up covering her face for performances?

Just seems like a bizzare misstep on her part.

TrainedRage

Banned
Having a Nephew with a mild form and ADHD and watching him grow from birth and how it affected his mannerisms, I find it mind boggling she thought this was a good idea.

I know she had her own demons in the past, was she on the spectrum as well? Thought it was alcohol and drugs which is why she ended up covering her face for performances?

Just seems like a bizzare misstep on her part.
So many people told her it was a bad idea. There is a reason it took her like 4 years to get it out. Its like a minstrel show for people with a LD

Ionian

So many people told her it was a bad idea. There is a reason it took her like 4 years to get it out. Its like a minstrel show for people with a LD

Jesus didn't know that. That is beyond messed up. Poor kid (I know she's 18 now), will bare the brunt of some backlash no doubt.

Then again she had no problem putting her in a video with Shia which was pretty suspect to say the least. Only found out Sia dated him recently, had no idea.

Elginer

Kate Hudson calls criticism of Sia's controversially casted movie from autism community 'important dialogue' (msn.com)

Sia film 'Music' criticized for 'irresponsible' depiction of autism (nypost.com)

"Sia’s directorial debut “Music” is being panned by the autism community for what it says are inaccurate and dangerous depictions of the condition."

“I don’t even know where to start,” Camille Proctor, executive director and founder of The Color of Autism Foundation, told USA Today.
“I don’t like the portrayal of the young autistic woman. I feel like (Ziegler) was doing parody,” she told the paper.

As someone who has been around people with DCD and ASD my entire life its all pretty disgusting. This doesn't even touch on the fact they made the girl in the video mixed race by giving her some weird spray tan. This is one of the most cringy things an artist has done for money I have seen in some while. I hope Sia gets ALL THE SHIT for this crap.

Did I long into the wrong forum by accident again? Damn.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Are you upset by this topic? What's the problem?

IllBlushingArchaeocete-max-1mb.gif

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
IT seems that in recent social media activity, a call for more nuances regarding autism is rising.

Unfortunately i find that the criticism, like the sources in the OP present, isn't really great. In these days of needing to have incredibly long shoes or a dozen eggshells to throw in front of you so you can walk upon them the thought process behind said criticism is getting stale and i believe that is what Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes is grasping at here.

Another concept that is gaining popularity is Validism.

Maybe there is a correlation with these subjects rising and the need to stay at home because of Covid-19 lockdowns, i don't know. But i do know that these subjects are getting more prominent.

TLDR: Focus on Autism in social media increases alongside new concepts like Validism.

TrainedRage

Banned
IT seems that in recent social media activity, a call for more nuances regarding autism is rising.

Unfortunately i find that the criticism, like the sources in the OP present, isn't really great. In these days of needing to have incredibly long shoes or a dozen eggshells to throw in front of you so you can walk upon them the thought process behind said criticism is getting stale and i believe that is what Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes is grasping at here.

Maybe there is a correlation with these subjects rising and the need to stay at home because of Covid-19 lockdowns, i don't know. But i do know that these subjects are getting more prominent.

TLDR: Focus on Autism in social media increases alongside new concepts like Validism.
I'm glad you could elaborate for Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes cuz apparently he could not have a proper conversation. The thing about all this isn't about canceling people, its about representation and people not knowing what the fuck they are doing. Like if Sia had any knowledge of autism why would she make the first actress with ASD do scenes with strobe lights and super loud noises etc?

To me this is just exploitation pure and simple. Tone deaf at the most generous.

Didnt expect to come in here talking about concentration camps, fake empathy and toxic femminity.

Last edited:

thefool

So its cool to make fun of autistic people because "its a film bro"? Like cuties was fine too? Nah man some of this shit rightly should get called out for being disgusting.

If the film openly mocked autistic people, I would certainly find it rude. Doesn't seem to be the case, at all.

To look at cinema and its portrayals only from a realistic perspective, is merely a simpleton approach that reduces cinema to a very limited expression. To characterize inaccurate portrayals in cinema as disgusting is profoundly bizarre. You're the one with the bro culture, self-absorbed in your definition of cinema and diminishing its value as merely a naturalistic art.

thefool recommended viewing for tonight: Tiptoes

Sia have a huge boner for Ziegler, she includes her in everything she do and that's why she gave her the role instead of an actress that suffers from Autism.
This is what I took away from this whole thing. Sia's stubbornness when it came to taking others' concerns seriously came back to bite her in the ass. In the end, there's this embarrassing display of "performance art" or whatever tf it could be called.

TrainedRage

Banned
If the film openly mocked autistic people, I would certainly find it rude. Doesn't seem to be the case, at all.

To look at cinema and its portrayals only from a realistic perspective, is merely a simpleton approach that reduces cinema to a very limited expression. To characterize inaccurate portrayals in cinema as disgusting is profoundly bizarre. You're the one with the bro culture, self-absorbed in your definition of cinema and diminishing its value as merely a naturalistic art.

thefool recommended viewing for tonight: Tiptoes

So you watched the video clip in OP and found nothing wrong with its depiction of Autistic people?

Just read some of the comments in that YouTube video and many people with Autism said that they can't even watch it because of all the weird colors and the flashing lights.

DESTROYA

Validism ???
Is that even a word ? English is not my native language but even I know that doesn’t sound right.

The shit people listen to these days is baffling. Is the chick dancing Sia ? First time hearing about this singer and her shitty music is enough for me to hopefully never hear any of her other songs.
God that’s awful

TrainedRage

Banned
This is what I took away from this whole thing. Sia's stubbornness when it came to taking others' concerns seriously came back to bite her in the ass. In the end, there's this embarrassing display of "performance art" or whatever tf it could be called.
The sad part is even Ziegler was crying on set talking about how she didn't want to be mean or seem to be making fun of autistic people. If an 18 year old gets it it shouldn't be too hard to grasp.

sol_bad

TrainedRage TrainedRage Are upset that an actor with autism didn't play the role or are you upset that autism wasn't portrayed properly in the film? Have you watched the actual whole film or are you basing your outrage on these articles and the film clip?

If you think an actor with autism should have played the role that's just fucking retarded. That's like saying only a real life engineer can play an engineer in a film.
If you are basing your rage without actually watching the film, maybe you should watch it first so you have a good basis for your outrage. I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of the outrage from the "autism community" hadn't watched the film either.

Regarding the film clip you linked to, Sia has always used Maddie Zielger in her film clips and she has always used those weird facial expressions and movements.

I haven't seen the film yet but I will one day because I like Sia's music and it looks to have interesting colourful visuals. I'm just sick of this outrage for the sake of outrage.

John Bilbo

What's up with all these "communities"? Is it possible to form "a community" for every or any existing characteristic?

Who represents the right handed community?

Is it possible to combine different characteristics to form a new community like "the big nosed right handed community"?

Personally I found the expressions and dancing in the video to be similar as in Sia's former videos.

sol_bad

That sure is some take you got there. Jesus Christ.

Talk about nor reading the room on this. Even if English isn't your first language (I hope not) that is such a pointless statement to make.

I speak English, I'm from Australia so of course it's my first language.
I have Brachial Plexus Palsy with my right arm. Obviously it's a physical thing and not a mental thing but do you think I'd give a shit if they didn't portray my condition properly in a film? No.
Do people who actually have autism have an issue with this film? Or is it just the care takers?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm glad you could elaborate for Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes cuz apparently he could not have a proper conversation. The thing about all this isn't about canceling people, its about representation and people not knowing what the fuck they are doing. Like if Sia had any knowledge of autism why would she make the first actress with ASD do scenes with strobe lights and super loud noises etc?

To me this is just exploitation pure and simple. Tone deaf at the most generous.

Didnt expect to come in here talking about concentration camps, fake empathy and toxic femminity.

It's about toxic femininity.

TrainedRage

Banned
TrainedRage TrainedRage Are upset that an actor with autism didn't play the role or are you upset that autism wasn't portrayed properly in the film? Have you watched the actual whole film or are you basing your outrage on these articles and the film clip?

If you think an actor with autism should have played the role that's just fucking retarded. That's like saying only a real life engineer can play an engineer in a film.
If you are basing your rage without actually watching the film, maybe you should watch it first so you have a good basis for your outrage. I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of the outrage from the "autism community" hadn't watched the film either.

Regarding the film clip you linked to, Sia has always used Maddie Zielger in her film clips and she has always used those weird facial expressions and movements.

I haven't seen the film yet but I will one day because I like Sia's music and it looks to have interesting colourful visuals. I'm just sick of this outrage for the sake of outrage.
...Its better I not (edit)

Last edited:

sol_bad

I guess it worked on ya huh? Jesus Christ do people seriously not know what ableism is?

I need to take a break. Thought people were better than this...

All you have done is read 2 articles about this film and then come on NEOGAF and made an outrage thread. You haven't even watched the source film, how can you form any proper opinions without watching it?

Ionian

I speak English, I'm from Australia so of course it's my first language.
I have Brachial Plexus Palsy with my right arm. Obviously it's a physical thing and not a mental thing but do you think I'd give a shit if they didn't portray my condition properly in a film? No.
Do people who actually have autism have an issue with this film? Or is it just the care takers?

You didn't read the article did you? The controversy is hardly new (Although I had forgotten about it until now.

You using "retarded" to equate an opinion on criticism of her film about an 'Autistic' child is way below the belt. Of course people are unhappy, I haven't seen the film but using verbiage like that shows you up to be quite honest.

I hope the film does a good job of exploring the topic. Throwing around "retarded" is the type of thing children do before they mature.

I wish for the actresses' sake she can deal with the backlash, seems unfair but again I have only seen the videos posted.

EDIT: missed you said this "Do people who actually have autism have an issue with this film? Or is it just the care takers?".

There are levels, what a disgusting statement, Care Takers? First retarded and now in care? You truly are talking out your arse.

Last edited:

sol_bad

You didn't read the article did you? The controversy is hardly new (Although I had forgotten about it until now.

You using "retarded" to equate an opinion on criticism of her film about an 'Autistic' child is way below the belt. Of course people are unhappy, I haven't seen the film but using verbiage like that shows you up to be quite honest.

I hope the film does a good job of exploring the topic. Throwing around "retarded" is the type of thing children do before they mature.

I wish for the actresses' sake she can deal with the backlash, seems unfair but again I have only seen the videos posted.

EDIT: missed you said this "Do people who actually have autism have an issue with this film? Or is it just the care takers?".

There are levels, what a disgusting statement, Care Takers? First retarded and now in care? You truly are talking out your arse.

I have used the word retarded for over 20 years, I shouldn't have to stop using it because of some peoples feelings.
I don't know much about autism no, and I wouldn't be watching a film like Music to be educated about it. It's a fictional piece of work.

You can enlighten and educate me if you would like to though.

*EDIT*
And I saw articles about this outrage months ago.

*EDIT 2*
And TrainedRage sort of proves my point. Based on what he writes he doesn't have autism himself but he is outraged on behalf of the autism community. Sounds a lot like the other mob that this forum likes to mock and make fun of.

Last edited:

Ionian

I have used the word retarded for over 20 years, I shouldn't have to stop using it because of some peoples feelings.
I don't know much about autism no, and I wouldn't be watching a film like Music to be educated about it. It's a fictional piece of work.

You can enlighten and educate me if you would like to though.

*EDIT*
And I saw articles about this outrage months ago.

You're welcome. As previously mentioned in this very thread I witnessed my Nephew grow up with forms of it.

They're different types, they don't all need carers.

Educate yourself. It's easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom