• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sonic a joke to you?

JimiNutz

Banned
Yeah at this stage he's a complete joke to me which is a real shame because he was my favourite gaming character growing up (along with Sub Zero) and Sonic Adventure was probably one of my most anticipated games of all time.

I appreciate what they did with Sonic Generations but other than that I haven't really enjoyed a Sonic game properly for a long time and always expect the absolute worst when it comes to Sonic.

Every time I scroll down through the threads and see this one, I imagine the title being read accusingly at me and seriously have to stop myself from laughing

IS SONIC A FUCKING JOKE TO YOU? HUH? HUH!? DO I LOOK LIKE I'M FUCKING CHUCKLING

Soodanim

To me Sonic is some great Mega Drive games (and a couple Master System ones) I can still play today. The rest is an unfortunate blur.

Generations doesn't even do it for me. I bought it, finished it, then got rid of it in a time when I never got rid of games.

Edit: I've just seen the Sonic Mania trailer with Taxman involved. Sonic is the future once more.

Still waiting on PC ports of Sonic 2 and 3 with widescreen and the mobile additions though.

Seik

Banned
I'm like the biggest Sonic fan, but where we are now, you can't take it seriously.

Taking it seriously would be not understanding the franchise and its history as a whole. :lol

I mean, if you watched the stream of the 25th anniversary you can even see that SEGA is self-aware of their fuck-ups and take things very lightly now, which is totally what they have to do because anything else would be silly.

LewieP

They just announced the first proper Sonic game in 22 years. How is hope lost? If anything, hope was just found covered in mud in a ditch after a long search, it's made it to the hospital on life support, and the doctors think it's got a chance of pulling through here.

It's at least the 5th ever supposed "proper Sonic" comeback.

Edit: Advance, Rush, 4, Generations.

Arguably the sidescrolling sections in the likes of Unleashed and Colors, plus the other handheld games.

Escalario

Banned
Sega relying on old Sonic design and gameplay (as made obvious twice today) instead of ushering him into the 21st century where he can stand on his own instead of being a pure nostalgia cashgrab is :lol worthy, ain't noone gonna deny that.

Sonic is pretty much a punchline. I liked a few of the older games quite a bit when I was a kid, but I fear too much damage has been done to the poor guy.

Every time I scroll down through the threads and see this one, I imagine the title being read accusingly at me and seriously have to stop myself from laughing

IS SONIC A FUCKING JOKE TO YOU? HUH? HUH!? DO I LOOK LIKE I'M FUCKING LAUGHING
angry-019.jpg

KHlover

Banned
Well there is Sonic Mania which looks like a good, if really safe, retread to the first games. Sonic 2017 though has everything that makes me not take Sonic seriously covered so far and the rest of the livestream didn't help.

Verdict: Mostly joke out of joke

Hinchy

Sega relying on old Sonic design and gameplay (as made obvious twice today) instead of ushering him into the 21st century where he can stand on his own instead of being a pure nostalgia cashgrab is :lol worthy, ain't noone gonna deny that.

You mean the one that people are excited about because of the classic Sonic?

Except for the part that Sonic Generations was a good game on its own merits, not just because it had classic Sonic in it. (I'd go so far as to argue that the 3D parts were actually the better half of the game, but that's neither here nor there.) It's not flawless, but it's good and more importantly has potential to be expanded upon.

The Generations team hasn't made anything since Generations. Now it's revealed that they're working on what is going to be another Generations. Great!

Sega has the tendency to keep trying to reinvent Sonic and throw the baby out with the bathwater time and time again. It's actually very promising to see that they're letting their best internal team continue to stick to the Generations gameplay style and refine it rather than throwing it out, as it seemed like they were doing with Lost World. I'm hoping that it means that their management has actually learned some sort of lesson about not fixing what ain't broke.

If you didn't like Generations, that's fine I guess. It's no trainwreck though. And it's not a good game only because of nostalgia. (Once again I'd argue that the non-classic Sonic parts of the game are the real meat.) The real triumph of Generations was actually finally bringing the smart, multi-tiered, interesting level design that made the classic games so good into 3D, combined with the continued refinement of the 3D gameplay into something enjoyable.

Fanservice can only get you so far, and Generations really doesn't rely on it. It's fun, but I mean, let's face it: Generations is a game where they made a good level out of something from fucking Sonic 06. That's fanservice to precisely zero people. They did it anyway, and it was good on its own merits.

I mean, that's my opinion, I guess. I just think it's not really fair to call it nothing but a shameless nostalgia grab. And it doesn't look like this is actually using classic environments this time around either. It looks like a new game that's just sticking with the Generations gameplay style. Almost like it's because it's a solid foundation for a decent game.

Sonic Mania in the meantime is just the best of the best Sonic fangame developers actually getting to make a Sonic game for real. I've been arguing for years that the fans know classic Sonic better than anyone at modern Sega so I'll also take it as a huge step in the right direction for Sega's management to have people who actually understand what made the original Sonic games good make a new classic-style Sonic game. I feel like if you're familiar with those developers' work, you'll understand when I say that unlike previous "back to basics" attempts, I'll actually be surprised if it's anything less than damn good.

Also, let's be real. Of course they're trying to recapture things that people liked about the classic games. It's almost like the series stopped being any fucking good for long enough to turn into a joke to most people. If you don't want them to try to recapture the glory days, and you don't want them to try to refine their current formula, and you don't want them to try to do anything new... then you just want Sonic to disappear entirely. And, well, that's not very pleasant, is it?

pizzacat

Banned
If Mania is any good, I guess it'll be Sega that is the joke rather than Sonic.

But the proof is in the pudding, can't be certain of the quality of Mania until I'm playing it myself.
Wait all it takes is one good game for sonic to be considered a non joke, that's not really fair :/

keero16

Neo Member
No it isn't a joke to me. Sonic is the reason I like video games in the first place, and the games like Adventure and Heroes all came out during an impressionable age.

That doesn't mean I can't recognize the (many) faults with the series or laugh at some jokes about the series but I look forward to new games and try to go into them with an open mind.

It sucks that hardly anyone else takes the franchise seriously anymore, it's really hard to get a discussion without the constant "lol Sonic was never good or should I say SANIC haha Big's Fishing Adventure 3 remember how bad 06 was." And when there is serious discussion, it's usually about stuff other than the games, mostly the comics, which I don't care for.

I'm hoping these two upcomimg games will put Sonic back in a good place.

Scotia

Banned

IS SONIC A FUCKING JOKE TO YOU? HUH? HUH!? DO I LOOK LIKE I'M FUCKING LAUGHING

I do this as well. Makes me laugh every time I see it.

If it was up to me I'd get the team that made the incredible mobile versions of Sonic CD and Sonic 2, hook them up with the resources they need, and get them to produce a new Sonic trilogy using that engine in the old-school style. That's a team that genuinely seems to understand the appeal of, and what worked in, the early games.

That feel when...

Top Bottom