• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Street Fighter V Worth Buying Now?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yes OP, i think its worth buying, specially with the upcoming update.
Im gonna give it another try since SFV is the only FG ive been able to play online.
Sorry KOFXIV ;(

Devil

Maybe I'll come back to it eventually, but right now I have no desire to grind for FM so I can test a character that I may or may not click with

I don't get that point because it isn't even true.

I have more than enough FM to buy every single Season 2 character and a stage or maybe even two. I never grind, because that's not how you make the vast majority of FM. All I did was the simple SP stuff with every character (Story + Trials). I didn't even finish survival with every character on Normal difficulty or above. Far from it, I only did Normal with 3 or 4 characters.

The FM I gain from online battles are peanuts compared to that. Where exactly do you need to grind?

Dante83

Banned
I don't think it is worth buying if you don't play online and just want the single player content. It's basically an e-sports game, and capcom is not going to add any single player content, just balance patches and new characters that you may or may not like.

zenspider

The best parts of the game, Bo3 and a very decent training mode, have been their since Day 1.

If that's not the appeal to you then probably not, and probably not ever.

LordKasual

Banned
I'm think about picking this up but I remember a lot of people being pissed about the lack of content after the initial release. Has anything improved and is it worth buying?

It has always been worth buying, unless you're the type of person who enjoys playing single player.

The network and training modes have always been great.

People recommending KOF on gaf mostly don't play it.

this is so very true

because nobody plays KoF

Crayon

Sfv is excellent but if you don't play or don't want to learn then move along. If it wasn't worth it to you before then its not worth it now.

jett

D-Member
You mean you have to invest time to get good at a game???? What have games become...

Investing hours into training mode is boring as fuck. I know from firsthand experience. Not everyone wants to play fighting games competitively, and SFV offers nothing else.

NRS titles tend to have very sturdy, jittery and floaty animations, which put people like me off. I agree the image quality is great, but once you see it in movement it looks rough.
Yeah man. NRS games always feel too stiff and clunky. I can't get into that. MkX felt much smoother though and NRS is getting better. Although I have no interest in injustice 2 hopefully it's a good game.

Investing hours into training mode is boring as fuck. I know from firsthand experience. Not everyone wants to play fighting games competitively, and SFV offers nothing else.
Fighting games are competition. Competition =/= esports tournament play

Are people just afraid of losing?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It also has the normal amount of characters that you expect in a KOF, while SFV came with so little it kinda hurts (it's better now, but I hate being locked out of almost half the cast by fight money)

This is irrelevant right now as the game + 2 seasons are on sale for $40. That's every character for a great price and the opportunity to earn enough FM to buy another 2 seasons pretty easily.

RM8

I tried and bought it very cheap, but I like fighting games that focus on the ground game. I realized that I only like Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter.
Same, I can't get into animu fighters and Marvel, they're so fundamentally different from the fighting games I enjoy. SF, Tekken, KOF, MK, VF, SC, DOA, that's the stuff I enjoy.

Q8D3vil

Even that is not enough, i knew tons of people who quit after the first two months because they didnt want to go further and memorize the frame data of every character to help them understand the game better.
If you plan on buying the SFV for sp its fucking useless, all the sp modes are trash including the story mode which look like a cheap fanfic made in some shitty ass editor.
But if you are willing to put in the times to learn its worth playing.
Until you reach my point and quit it because of balance reasons lol

Skilletor

Even that is not enough, i knew tons of people who quit after the first two months because they didnt want to go further and memorize the frame data of every character to help them understand the game better.
If you plan on buying the SFV for sp its fucking useless, all the sp modes are trash including the story mode which look like a cheap fanfic made in some shitty ass editor.

I love this world where there are only PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPER SRS or people who just want sp content.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This. It's also a solid fighting game. I wish I knew people who could help me get better, though. :\ I suck.

Game is awesome though. Looks good too.

The OT in Community is always willing to help with advice. I know that's not as good (or as fun) as having a real-life coach, but it's something.

I haven't spent a single second studying frame data and I've enjoyed over 330 hours of mostly online matches. And I'm gradually improving, because playing the game makes you better even if you don't look at spreadsheets.

The social anxiety and misery of losing to a real person online does actually diminish with playtime. The right attitude makes playing fun, regardless of winning or losing or extrinsic FM rewards.

jett

D-Member
Fighting games are competition. Competition =/= esports tournament play

Are people just afraid of losing?

For a lot of people fighting games are just messing around with friends or playing arcade mode. Not getting your ass destroyed by strangers. If don't put A LOT of time into SFV's training mode, you got no chance online.

I stopped short of learning frame data. That shit is just way too much effort for me. I guess it's why I'm eternally stuck in Super Bronze lol.

For a lot of people fighting games are just messing around with friends or playing arcade mode. Not getting your ass destroyed by strangers. If don't put A LOT of time into SFV's training mode, you got no chance online.
My cycle as of late has been climbing bronze, then reaching the point where I'm matched only with higher players and bounced back down to Rookie, then climbing back up

It's not that bad on the lower levels

I feel like hyping up fighting games online approaches Dark Souls territory where it's made out to where you think you just start the match and put down the controller because you're dead instantly. You can still get rekt but if you adapt you can at least last a bit longer against the toughest opponents

Skilletor

I stopped short of learning frame data. That shit is just way too much effort for me. I guess it's why I'm eternally stuck in Super Bronze lol.

Nah, I think it's this mindset that you need to learn frame data to get better. That you need to know all of these combos and resets, etc.

I'm only decent at fighters and have only recently bothered learning the numbers. Been playing fighters for 25+ years and never did. It's something I've always "felt" rather than known the hard data. Can I jab after this move, no, I usually get punished, I'll stop doing that.

At Super Bronze, you'd do well enough just being patient with footsies and spacing.

The advent of esports and huge tourneys has been great for the scene, but it's also warped a lot of people's ideas on what it takes to be "good."

Scotia

Banned
With the big update probably coming next month and it being on sale, I think this is the perfect time to get SFV for those that haven't got it yet.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

What constitutes a "chance" online? Making it to Ultra Diamond? Or winning 50% of the time? You don't have to engage in formal study to get better at the game. If your goal is constantly climbing the ranks to the top level, then yeah, it's gonna take an extraordinary effort because it's an extraordinary goal.

danmaku

Learn frame data of every character?

*sigh*

That's like saying that to learn a foreign language you should read the entire dictionary and memorize it.

Kuksune

Guilty Gear Xrd revelator > KoF14 > SF5

I have all 3 of them and GGXrd rev gets you the most fun and bang for your buck.

I bought it recently for $15.

Don't really have the time needed to learn to play it properly, but $15 is fine for something I might play 3-4 times.

With that said, the game loaded up with some hilariously badly acting cutscene with still images.

I know Street Fighter may not have the biggest budget, but it's like they grabbed two random guys and had them voice Ryu and Ken.

BadWolf

If you plan to spend most of your time with it playing against other people then yes.

If you want solid single player content then no.

Feeroper

If you want single player content than no, definitely not worth it.

Multiplayer is well supported, however if you aren't competent in multiplayer for online, than no, not worth it as you will get destroyed and there are very limited options to learn/train outside of that.

If you are indeed competent then yes, it would be worth it.

Korezo

Whats the big update? is the entire interface and online structure going to change? because it really needs that.

Neoxon

I bought it recently for $15.

Don't really have the time needed to learn to play it properly, but $15 is fine for something I might play 3-4 times.

With that said, the game loaded up with some hilariously badly acting cutscene with still images.

I know Street Fighter may not have the biggest budget, but it's like they grabbed two random guys and had them voice Ryu and Ken.
Ryu is voiced by Kyle Hebert (Adult Gohan, Kamina, Kakyoin, etc.), while Ken is voiced by Reuben Langdon (Dante). They aren't just random people off of the street.

Whats the big update? is the entire interface and online structure going to change? because it really needs that.
The online structure is getting changed, yes.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
No.

Incredibly flawed disaster that I once supported like crazy.

If you supported it before, in what way did it become tangibly worse to make you stop? It's generally better than it was at its worst and it's about to get a patch that might really improve things.

Interface was mostly the same in the beta, though they're adding some stuff to make managing friends better/easier.

The online infrastructure is being totally overhauled, they say. The structure of online matching (casual, ranked, or battle lounge) will remain the same.

I have the day one edition with no DLC

I spent 60 hours in SF4 as a casual. The friends moved on and I moved on and I have spent like 10 hours in V

so it depends if your FGC can support it. If not, as a SP experience it really lacks.

Yudoken

I think so especially for around 20$.

But only if you're interested in playing online or offline vs.
There's nothing really worthwhile in terms of single-player content.
And the changes with the new updates are rather small and not enough to fix the issues which mainly makes online a 50/50 experience (long, unnecessary transition and loading times, slow and not accurate matchmaking and average netcode at best).

To be honest Tekken 7 is around the corner and at this point I would recommend buying that.
And it looks like it's going to be a complete package with content for offline and online.

Raw64life

As a long time Street Fighter fan who doesn't care about "gitting gud" and just wants to enjoy fun fighting game content, still a pass for me. I'll continue to hold out for a more definitive version of the game with the all the content on the disc for one price for as long as it takes.

Hutchie

As some who just got ps plus and likes to play other people 100% worth it. If you are looking for great single player content theres guilty gear and blazblue which are better in that regard. Sfv's gameplay stands toe to toe with any fighting game released this gen

I wish GG's characters weren't so bad. I'll play anime games from time to time, but that roster.. yeesh. I can't believe those characters have endured like they have. If you can get past that, it's probably the best alternative to SF.

KOF14 is solid, I'd go with that over SFV unless you exclusively play online or local vs.

Skilletor

Yes. Seriously.

The genre either needs to figure out how to flood online play with true scrubs so people can actually have some early fun without hitting YouTube as a bare minimum (think playing SF2 early on, even in arcades, you'd often get some complete neophyte), or they need to build modes that bury bad players within teams like every big eSports game does.

1v1 with an immediate steep learning curve and required run of bad losses kills casuals. If Capcom doesn't care and wants to cultivate the FGC as it is, that's fine, but then expect sales to stay around this range.

Define scrub.

Dunkley

Without Indestructible, it might never be.

I kid of course, it seems pretty cool now with at least a bit more meat to its' bone.

Mediking

If you supported it before, in what way did it become tangibly worse to make you stop? It's generally better than it was at its worst and it's about to get a patch that might really improve things.

I was the kinda casual that Capcom was aiming for to buy SFV.

I got caught up in the Rise Up brilliant advertising and thinking I could be like Mike Ross and Gootecks. Bought the Collector's Edition too.

Game finally releases. Realized with dread how barebones the game is. Realized with dread that Survival Mode is very anti-casual.

Decided to become a Cammy main.

Tried to get good with the game for the longest time.

Really is thanks to my love for Cammy that I stubbornly stuck with SFV for so long.

Posted in various SFV community threads on GAF for the longest time until I opened my eyes that the game wasn't really for me.

The game is now collecting dust.

Will not recommend the game to anyone even remotely casual.

Just wait for Tekken 7 or hell, even MvC:I.

SFV is one of the worst $60 purchases I've made this gen. Just watch some tournaments on Twitch, that will provide you with far more enjoyment than the game ever will.

Top Bottom