• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Switch's voice-chat app really the result of the DeNA partnership?

Sinfamy

Is there some kind of theory about why they can't do what everybody else has done? Plug a headset into the headphone jack?
Absolutely no technical reasons for it, just hubris, incompetence and greed.
The PS Vita does cross game voice chat perfectly.

yurinka

I'd say nope, DeNA partnership should be to make mobile games and their mobile gaming social network.

Regarding voice-chat, it should be in the console, instead of in a phone. And to use it in a OS level, being able to talk outside a game and to switch from a game to another. Like PS Vita.

I think DeNA is the only logical reason for regressing so hard from WiiU. Nintendo said themselves that their partnership was about building they're online out. Nintendo needed a solution for wired voice chat that would work with the variable that you're playing docked and with motion controls (wireless is a bit expensive). DeNA is a mobile app focused company. So DeNA builds an app to run everything. Then one or the other suggests that's the only solution they need since it covers all bases (even if it's not as ideal). They both agree. The end. It's just as much Nintendo's fault as DeNA's though. Moreso really since Nintendo at the very least signed off on all this every step of the way.

I don't buy the "worried about parents" excuse. That wasn't an issue with the WiiU. Literally no company has gotten in trouble with parents under the worst case scenario people suggest. They have parental controls on the console and an app on the phone. Nintendo hasn't even trotted it out as an excuse. It's not a factor.

Peterthumpa

I don't think it's DeNA's fault, at all. I sincerely believe that Nintendo literally asked for some of the more baffling decisions like "usar can't run the app in background" and "screen needs to be on all the time".

Really, these are such basic features that omitting them from the development roadmap wouldn't make a day of difference.

the app is essentially part of the switch's hardware functionality. there's no reason to think DeNA had anything to do with it.

Berordn

the app is essentially part of the switch's hardware functionality. there's no reason to think DeNA had anything to do with it.

We know DeNA had some role in the development of Nintendo's current account system. It's not unreasonable to think they played some role in the Switch's online features since it ties heavily into that.

It doesn't matter who developed it, what matters is that Nintendo signed off on it and released it to their customers. Nintendo is 100% at fault.

Then you have the idiot Reggie saying gamers don't want bulky headsets; while a month later releases this trash.
We're not excusing. Just morbidly fascinated and wondering how a company did this to itself

We know DeNA had some role in the development of Nintendo's current account system. It's not unreasonable to think they played some role in the Switch's online features since it ties heavily into that.

only in the sense that it's a feature that uses the internet — it doesn't really have much to do with what DeNA does or the reasons nintendo partnered with them. the way all this works will have been designed alongside the console itself.

ultimately it's a moot point because whoever actually developed the app, this is how nintendo decided that things would be done on the switch.

Top Bottom