• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the HTC One M8 the best phone out there atm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizific

ive had an upgrade available for a while so ive been looking for a phone these past couple of weeks. i really wanted a pure android experience but was bummed when i found out that the nexus wasnt available on verizon. what are some upcoming phones that i should keep my eyes on?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ive had an upgrade available for a while so ive been looking for a phone these past couple of weeks. i really wanted a pure android experience but was bummed when i found out that the nexus wasnt available on verizon. what are some upcoming phones that i should keep my eyes on?

You want the Moto X+1.

Sept. 4th Mark it on your Tech Calendar

That being said don't be dumb and upgrade on contract. Don't be that person.

I have it. Awesome phone but the camera suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. That is what I probably use it mostly for too. Wish I would have gone with something else.

Sid

The Samsung event will be at IFA, and the Note traditionally, in the last few years, releases within the week.

You can find these phones on second hand websites for mint condition at a greatly reduced price. (about a third more than the phones you suggest at first release)
Wiki says that last year's event was held on 3rd September but Note 3 released on the 25th,I'm hoping for an early release this year though.

Majestad

Banned
I should mention that I have to get a phone that's T-Mobile because I'm getting a plan with my family and it will be cheaper that way.

PensOwl

Banned

DarkFlow

Banned
I like my note 3 and judging from leaked specs of the 4,not all that different. The 4 will have a QHD screen and a 805 SoC. So mehhhh.

ismk

I've used the M8 for 3 months and just recently switched to the Oneplus One. The M8 is a great phone. Sense isn't too intrusive and you can replace the launcher if you don't like it. The camera isn't great but with the second camera, you can do some neat stuff. The build quality is top notch. Last but not least, the battery life is great; I was able to go easily through a day with a full charge of battery.

lumia-930-1_1.jpg

with an start screen that's not absolute garbage like above.

.....but I'm extremely biased.

TMC

I love my HTC One M8. I previously had the M7 as well. I personally think it is the best phone for my personal requirements, but it is not the best phone if we are strictly speaking specs. The LG G3 and OnePlus One are superior in that regard.

The metal build is my favorite aspect of the HTC One line. I could never go back to a plastic phone so I wouldn't really consider the aforementioned superior phones. It depends on what you are looking for in a phone.

IMO, yes. Sense 6 is slick, and the M8 is the fastest Sense 6 phone out there right now.

I was going to upgrade to the M8, but the Note 4 should be announced/releasing soon, so that's on the radar too.

If you can stomach the size and Touchwiz, it might be something to consider.

I Have a note 3. I HATE touchwiz. I LOVE that Google put the Google launcher up and now I can use that on my phone and not worry about touchwiz that much. It's like a huge Nexus 5 now for the most part

Pachimari

I currently have a LG G3 and absolutely love it. It's my first Android phone since HTC Magic.

The only downsides to it so far is:
- Not that good of a battery (I blame the screen)

- Brightness is too low for outdoor use.

- Not all apps are supported.

- Could do with a physical camera button.

The camera is exceptional. Focuses very quickly and does great macro shots. Love it.

DarkFlow

Banned
I Have a note 3. I HATE touchwiz. I LOVE that Google put the Google launcher up and now I can use that on my phone and not worry about touchwiz that much. It's like a huge Nexus 5 now for the most part
Same, I only have to deal with it's stupid settings screen now. Also my toggle screen is comicly big.

Lol look at thing.

G17

I was deciding between the two phones myself but the Galaxy S5 is a far better option after you install Google Now Launcher to the phone. Stock android homescreen filling up the entire screen, physical home key not taking away from real estate, and a great camera.

Definitely wait till the end of September before deciding on a phone though, quite a few new phones are coming out next month.

zewone

Same, I only have to deal with it's stupid settings screen now. Also my toggle screen is comicly big.

Lol look at thing.

You know that's optional to expand the toggle that big right?

I have a Note 3 and hate touchwiz, but the toggle screen is not why.

You really can't go wrong with any flagship phone. It's just a question of what you prefer.

The Galaxy S5 and LG G3 have really great cameras. The HTC One has a really nice design. The iPhone 6, I'm sure, will be great.

The thing to ask is what you like - i.e. do you like Touchwiz, do you like the physical design of the G3 or One etc? Then make your decision knowing that you can't really make a mistake.

DarkFlow

Banned
You know that's optional to expand the toggle that big right?

I have a Note 3 and hate touchwiz, but the toggle screen is not why.
Lol is it? I just got it and that's the default. I would love to shrink it. Oh you mean that button to expand it.

TrounceX

Another vote for LG g3.

This supposed screen lag that people so often bring up? I've noticed it exactly once in the month I've owned the phone. Like most things on the internet, the hyperbole is staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom