• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Switch Pro Controller worth it?

I got my Switch yesterday and have been playing Zelda with the standard joy cons. For those that have it, is it worth the high price tag? I skipped out on the WiiU pro controller but mainly because I really liked the screen on the pad.

yes. its more comfortable if you have bigger hands, (no desyncs yet) and you can more easily charge it while playing on the TV

Pros and Cons of Switch Controllers:
Pro: Pro Controller
Con: Joy-Con

For me it is, it's just more comfortable for playing at home. Yeah, it's expensive, but there's also a lot of good technology in there so it doesn't feel limited like the Wii U Pro controller did in comparison to the Gamepad.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it only seems to charge when plugged in to the Switch dock itself—for some reason I can't get it to charge using my wall adapter. Anyone else find this?

yes, 100 %.

When I play at home I use the pro controller, then I just dock out the Switch without having to remove or insert joycons for portable play- super convenient and the pro controller just feels fantastic

Manmedaz

I really prefer playing Zelda with the separated Joy-Con setup, but the Pro Controller is amazing to use otherwise (I use it with Shovel Knight and Fast RMX).

DrArchon

The pro controller feels really good to use. The buttons are nice and big (unlike the joy-cons), the real d-pad is super nice, the gyro works really well, great build quality, just a nice controller all around.

Granted, if the joy-cons are working well enough for you, don't get it. It's still incredibly overpriced unless you just can't stand the joy-cons.

For me it is, it's just more comfortable for playing at home. Yeah, it's expensive, but there's also a lot of good technology in there so it doesn't feel limited like the Wii U Pro controller did in comparison to the Gamepad.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it only seems to charge when plugged in to the Switch dock itself—for some reason I can't get it to charge using my wall adapter. Anyone else find this?
Mine won't charge with my iPhone charger but it will with my iPad charger. Maybe it just needs more powaaa
I've mostly used my Joycon but the pro controller is a beast. It's probably the most comfortable standard controller I've used (never used an xbo controller, fwiw)

Fliesen

if you don't mind the ergonomics of the joycons within the joycon grip, i'd wait.

I don't have big hands so i'm fine with the grip, my joycons never ran out of juice (i dock them into the docked switch after i used it as a handheld anyways).
Right now, i'd rather invest in a second set of joycons further down the road.

if you don't mind the ergonomics of the joycons within the joycon grip, i'd wait.

I don't have big hands so i'm fine with the grip, my joycons never ran out of juice (i dock them into the docked switch after i used it as a handheld anyways).
Right now, i'd rather invest in a second set of joycons further down the road.

I'm in a bit of a middle ground. I can tolerate the joy cons well enough when I'm doing portable but when I'm sitting on the couch it feels a bit clumsy to me.

It come with an USB-A to USB-C cable, it uses USB-C just like the Switch.

Thanks!

A resounding yes. D-pad is a little stiff and I'm hoping it'll loose overtime but it's still better than Wii U's Pro pad IMO.

That being said I'm playing Zelda with the Joy-Con grip at the moment. I don't know, I like the unique feel to it.

hoserx

I am glad I bought mine. It's just a fantastic overall controller. The built in technology makes it even cooler. But really, what matters, is that it's a comfortable input device.

linkboy

How does the charging work? Sorry for the dumb question. Does it come with a usb cable or something?

It does come with a USB controller.

All I do for mine is plug the included controller into my multi-port charger and leave it until I wake up.

This controller is one of the best I've ever used.

Anx

Neo Member
Worth every cent. Switch hype aside, it's my favourite controller ever made. The only con I can find are the triggers, but it's not much of an issue.

It's worth it but it is definitely not needed. I do love the battery life, feels good in my hands, has gyro and hd rumble as well.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm probably gonna get one simply to avoid the situation where a Joycon runs out out juice and I'm therefore forced to switch to handheld mode if I want to keep playing. Handheld is fine and all, but I generally want to play stuff like Zelda on my TV.

The ergonomics aren't as good as a PS4 or Xbox One controller, but it's definitely a step up from previous Pro controllers Nintendo has put out. Has a good weight to it and the battery life is good. It's a bit on the pricy side for what it is, in my opinion.

Krakatoa

I picked one up after reading about the Joy Con issues, and I am glad I did. Its well built controller, that feels good in your hands. Also the battery life is exceptional. The only downside is the price.

phanphare

Banned
it is a damn fine controller. it's worth will be subjective to each individual but if you want a standard controller and don't mind parting with $70 to get it then yeah, it's absolutely worth it. it's got a nice weight to it, it's comfortable in the hands, the face buttons are nice a big, it has motion controls inside (so you can do gyro assisted aim in Zelda with stuff like the bow), the finish is good, the texture on the grips is nice, and the dpad is what you would expect from a Nintendo dpad. it's a great controller, probably my favorite at the moment.

Xdrive05

Yes, absolutely. I know it's pricy but it's my favorite controller period. Feels amazing, especially if you have large hands.

If you're already going to invest in a switch, it makes a lot of sense too because your partner can then use the joycon grip and have a 2nd fully featured controller, or you can then have 3 players at the same time with the other two using the cons.

So it adds functionality and comfort for one and two player scenarios and makes three player scenarios possible (Fast RMX shout-out for this in particular!).

Love it. Only issue is the +/- buttons being too close to the screenshot/home buttons - I've taken lots of accidental screenshots.

Top Bottom