• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a Dark souls-like game on Vita or 3DS?

Freeman

Banned
I would love if they made a Souls game for the Vita. Its the perfect type of game for me to play on the go, maybe they could change how invasion works and base it around proximity.

Swarna

Dark Souls has two face buttons that can easily be relegated to touch screens/elsewhere (one-hand/two-hand switch, use item) freeing those up for two of the shoulder button actions. Honestly, control schemes aren't an issue for getting a DS/DS-style game on portables.

La-Mulana

It's more like a really hard platformer. Not really the same thing, but closest you'll get.

The image posted was for Spelunky.

La-Mulana is a solid answer here, though. It gets a lot of Souls nods but I think that's mostly due to its utter lack of hand-holding (sometimes to a fault) and the difficulty.

Soul Sacrifice seemed to get some comparisons, as well, at least before it was released.

Ridley327

La-Mulana is a solid answer here, though. It gets a lot of Souls nods but I think that's mostly due to its utter lack of hand-holding (sometimes to a fault) and the difficulty.

Soul Sacrifice seemed to get some comparisons, as well, at least before it was released.

It didn't help that it was going to be called Forsaken Souls at one point for the west.

I think the closest you´ll get is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the 3DS.

...and even they are wolds apart and great in their own right.

DryvBy

My eyes are bad today. Sorry.

Pikma

Banned
There aren't really any other modern games comparable to Dark Souls. Dark Souls is like an NES game brought into the modern era, and is the complete opposite of what other games are trying to be. The games that most closely resemble Dark Souls in terms of game design are the classic titles such as Megaman, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden, and Castlevania. But I don't think those are the type of game you're looking for.
Lol no it's not. The only thing reminiscent of the NES era is that the game is not easy, because the design, and even the way the difficulty is implemented, is nothing alike.

Either take your nostalgia glasses off or stop idolizing the game for what it's not.

Nimajneb

Lol no it's not. The only thing reminiscent of the NES era is that the game is not easy, because the design, and even the way the difficulty is implemented, is nothing alike.

Either take your nostalgia glasses off or stop idolizing the game for what it's not.

Dark Souls requires the player to play levels several times in order to succeed. The player must learn enemy attack patterns and placement. If the player dies they must start from the beginning of the area. The game tells the player very little and allows them to explore and figure things out for themselves.

Altough the game mechanics are very different from NES games, what it expects form the player is the same. It's nothing like the super hand holdy, quest marker on screen all the time, anyone can win the first time they try design we see in most modern games.

Top Bottom