• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a definitive version of each Final Fantasy game?

Mael

That's my pick :
FFI : PSx
FFII: GBA
FFIII : NES x DS
FFIV : GBA x DS
FFV : SFC
FFVI : SNES
FFVII : PS1
FFVIII : PS1
FFIX : PS1
FFX : PS2
FFXI : PC
FFXII : PS2
FFXIII : PS3

Acceptables but not ideal for me would be :
FFI : NES, WS
FFII : PS1, WS
FFIV : PS1
FFV : GBA
FFVI : GBA

I still cringe everytime I think of the shit they pulled on the remasters on psx for FFV,VI and CT.
Funnily enough FFIII on Vita would probably the optimal version of that game for me...
I don't even have or want one though.

Also avoid FFVII->FFX PAL.
Especially VII and VIII as the localization there don't even make sense and are so freaking slow!
Seriously FFIX is like a slideshow there!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Great list but let me add:
FFIX: PS1
X-2: PS3
XII: PS2(only version available in NA)
XIII: PS3
XIII-2: PS3 or 360 (equal AFAIK)
XIII-3: PS3 or 360 (equal)

They're also on PS3, PSP, but they're identical to the PSX version. PC version is different, slight graphical edge. I'm talking about the one that came out 15 years ago, don't know about the recent Steam rerelease. Anyway, I would give FF7 and 8 to the PC.
Did they fix the PC versions? Last time I checked they was a mess.

Syril

FFV I hear has a terrible script in the PS1 version. The GBA version I can personally attest to having an excellent script. Dunno about the mobile release.
What I had heard was that Ted Woolsey had started to translate it for when they were planning to release it as Final Fantasy Extreme, but when they had cancelled it he only had a rough draft done. Then when they decided to release it in English after all they just used the unrefined translation wholesale. Interestingly, Squaresoft had contracted another developer to do a PC version (that fell through obviously) before the FF Anthology happened, and in an interview, the developers said that Square had provided them with a translation before they started working, and in the screenshots of their version, it's the same translation that the PS1 version would later use.

For the PS1 version's translation, imagine the GBA one if it wasn't funny. For example every single one of Faris' lines is written in a ridiculous overdone pirate voice. The GBA script is pretty much that one given the refinement that it needed.

I don't really know if this is threadworthy, but I want to gather some opinions... and doing research on the FF wiki doesn't feel nearly as organic as real feedback from real people.

Almost every FF game pre-VII has one or two different remakes, and some seem to hold certain advantages over others. I'm considering playing through the entire series soon (!) so I'd like to have the "best" version of each game.

FFI has: NES, PSX, GBA, PSP

FFII has: NES, PSX, GBA, PSP

FFIII has: NES, DS

FFIV has: Everything (lol)

SNES (JP), SNES (EN), PSX, GBA, DS, PSP

FFV has: SNES, PSX, GBA

FFVI has: SNES, PSX, GBA

VII has no remakes

VIII has no remakes

IX has no remakes

X has: PS2, PS3, Vita

XII has: Original, Zodiac Job System

What are the different pros and cons of each, and what have your personal experiences been with the ports/remakes that you've played? I had the PSP versions of I and II a while back, but I can no longer play UMDs, so I'm looking at either the GBA or PSX versions... are there any glaring differences between the PSP/PSX versions?

Final Fantasy I & II: PSP versions are best. Otherwise get DS versions. Retooled graphics and extra story, characters.

Final Fantasy III: DS version. Rebalanced and more accessible. PSP Japanese version is decent and it does have English subtitles, but DS is clearly best.

Final Fantasy IV: PSP Complete Collection. Some upgrades, including two new pieces of content.

Final Fantasy V: SNES. PS1 version had poor loading and FMV sequences don't feel right.

Final Fantasy VI: SNES. Same as above.

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX: PlayStation obviously. FVII on PC might be good though.

Final Fantasy X and X-2: PS3, easily. Better graphics, some slight game improvements plus extra content for both games. Biggest drawback is a lot of tracks have been remixed, so it's not the same as the original. I liked a lot of the redone songs, but be warned.

Final Fantasy XI: PC. Xbox 360 is better than PS2 from what I remember but I didn't play much at all.

Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Job System. More than anything, it changes the combat system and customization to make it a lot more enjoyable.

Also, get Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions. Do it!

I'm on my first playthrough of FF5 on the iOS and plays fine. I don't have any issues with it.

Controls aren't bad. If you're use to the classic ones that moves only horizontally and vertically (no diagonal), it might take time to adjust because that's what the iOS has. Even then, you can change the setting to No Diagonal.

EDIT:
FF4 on PSP looks amazing btw.

pottuvoi

Banned
VIII on PC is the best version.
640x480 FMV and 3D graphics do not suffer from the problems in PSX graphics.

VII had crappy quality FMV, but the graphics were otherwise better than on PSX. (music MOD makes it quite nice.)

Mit-

I have actually embarked on said quest. Fair warning: it's been over 3 years ;_; I'm currently on FFX. Here's the route I took for more convenience and enjoyment. I hadn't played the original versions of most of these and things like minor music changes and original gameplay balance and whatnot meant nothing to me for the most part:

FF: PSP
I liked the updated sprite graphics and actually found this very enjoyable to play. Plus, RPGs on the go are a lot easier for me to complete than console.
FFII: PSP
Not quite as great as the first but still fun and enjoyable. Weird gameplay system.
FFIII: DS
Only convenient version to play at the time. This same game has been ported to iOS/Android/PC with HD graphics though, so whatever works for you.
FFIV: DS
Ported to the above platforms as well I believe. I actually really, really enjoyed this. One of my favorites. If nostalgia isn't constraining you to the original sprite graphics, this had surprisingly good voice acting, great gameplay mechanics (auto-fight needs to be in all RPGs), and a great story.
FFV: GBA
Heard it's the best. This was also ported to mobile but with hideous new graphics. Even if nostalgia doesn't play a part, I'd still stick with this version.
FFVI: GBA
Ditto to the above more or less. Also whatever music changed from before means nothing to me and that sounds like the only downside to this version.
FFVII: PSP
Convenience! I got this on PSN, played it on PSP Go, and finished it on my PS3 by transferring the save over.
FFVIII: PSP
Ditto (this game blows)
FFIX: PSP
Ditto (except this game is awesome and doesn't blow)
FFX: PCSX2 undub FFX International
I heard Yuna's voice actor recently and decided it was intolerable so I went this route. FFX in Japan had a lot of notable anime voice actors for its cast, and I enjoy me some animu, not to mention their mouths actually sync up to the characters. Took quite some time to really get my setup going, and the game does have some stuff that really doesn't work well in HD. If the voice acting doesn't bother you, definitely get the HD version on PS3. There are many reasons why it took them so long to port this game to HD.
FFX-2: PCSX2 undub FFX-2 International
Ditto
FFXII: PCSX2 undub FFXII Zodiac Job System
Ditto

Mit-

Nope.

FFXII had a wonderful translation and dub. It's like Shakespeare.
I haven't played the original XII so you may very well be right. I'm just a weaboo and would likely enjoy the Japanese even more.

Although if an HD version is announced I'll probably just wait for it. Emulating is a hassle and playing on a PS2 is even more of a hassle for me.

That's my pick :
FFI : PSx
FFII: GBA
FFIII : NES x DS
FFIV : GBA x DS
FFV : SFC
FFVI : SNES
FFVII : PS1
FFVIII : PS1
FFIX : PS1
FFX : PS2
FFXI : PC
FFXII : PS2
FFXIII : PS3

Acceptables but not ideal for me would be :
FFI : NES, WS
FFII : PS1, WS
FFIV : PS1
FFV : GBA
FFVI : GBA
You're good people, Mael. The PSP ports are definitely acceptable as well, and I even prefer FF2 on PSP, but your list is pretty much what I'd have gone with.

I assume 4 is the big one where people's opinions will be split though. On the one hand you have the original which has some old-school charm and nostalgia working for it. The DS version's a pretty big upgrade in terms of difficulty, presentation, re-designs and some actual new mechanics. Then we have the 'Complete Collection', which added the Wii epilogue chapters, gave the original game a re-texturing, and made the whole thing a bit easier.

While it was a pretty big landmark in the series, I was never a super big fan of the original. I appreciated the added tweaks of the DS remake to make the whole thing a bit more engaging, and it ended up being my favourite one. Not a huge fan of the PSP version's direction. The game itself is still fine, but it just looks a little gnarlier and the After Years chapters are kind of bleh. I feel like After Years and the PSP remasters set the tone for what eventually would become Final Fantasy Dimensions and the iOS ports. Sure, the PSP entries themselves had a little more effort put into them, but this was pretty much where you'd end up if you take their philosophies to a mobile-priced conclusion.

I: PSP
II: PSP
III: iOS
IV: DS
V: iOS
VI: iOS
VII: PC
VII: PC
IX: PS1
X: PS3
XI: PC
XII: PS2
XIII: PS3
XIV: PC
XIV: ARR: PC

I think the only really controversial ones are IV, V and VI really.

IV I think DS is easily the best one, and I played both. It has a far better graphic style, and has extra actual gameplay not in the other ones; the augment system and extra mini-games.

V and VI seem better on iOS to me unless you have nostalgia glasses on. I haven't played it yet, but the screenshots are so far above in the iOS ones.
This shit couldn't be made up.

GaussTek

As others have mentioned, there isn't probably a definitive version of each one, as people has different tastes, but here's mine, based -mostly- on which one has the most content/extras:

- FF: PSP
- FFII: PSP
- FFIII: DS/PSP/iOS/Android (3D version)
- FFIV: Two options here:
* 2D version: PSP (it also includes The After Years and a new interlude to it).
* 3D version: DS/iOS/Android. There's also a 3D version of The After Years for iOS/Android.

- FFV: GBA. iOS/Android if you don't mind the new character sprites.
- FFVI: Probably the hardest to choose:
* GBA if you don't mind about the music "downgrade". But, if you want/are able to, you can always use the Sound/Color restoration patches.
* iOS/Android if you don't mind about the new character sprites.
* SNES if you don't mind about the extras. If you want/are able to, you can always use the "Improvement" patch.

- FFVII: PC (Steam). It looks better (without emulation) and latest official update "fixed" the music.
- FFVIII: PC (Steam). It looks better (without emulation). Don't forget to use the "Roses and Wine" music patch.
- FFIX: PS/PSN (you can also use an emulator for improved graphics).
- FFX: PS3 HD version, which also includes X-2. PS2 if you don't like the original music (you can also use the PCSX2 emulator for improved graphics).
- FFXI: PC.
- FFXII: PS2 (you can also use the PCSX2 emulator for improved graphics).
- FFXIII: PS3
- FFXIV: PC/PS4

Mit-

Nope.

Also do you or anyone know if Square changed the lip syncing in this game to match the English language track, similar to the Kingdom Hearts series? Curious about FFXIII as well.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Nope.

This is precisely why I hated the dub. It wasn't like that originally and didn't have to be when it was translated. Hated War of the Lions for the same reason.

Teknoman

This is precisely why I hated the dub. It wasn't like that originally and didn't have to be when it was translated. Hated War of the Lions for the same reason.

Eh I liked the VA from IV, Tactics War of the Lions, and XII more than any other voiced FF. And not everyone had such flowery language. Vaan and Penelo seemed to speak pretty regular.

Holykael1

Banned
Alright, so the two major questions I have:

Everyone says X's best version is PS3. Does the Vita version take a hit at all? Because portability seems like a huge plus.

Also, I/II PSP compared to Origins on PSX is the biggest question for me right now. It's cheaper to get Origins, and Origins has the original (harder) difficulty, but what do I/II PSP have to offer? Do the pros end at easier difficulty (depending on your preference)/enhanced graphics?

I forgot to mention the PC versions in the OP, sorry about that. VII/VIII had really bad sound quality last time I checked, although I'm not sure if the Steam release of VII changed that or not.

VII on Steam has the original music(they patched it sometime after release), it's not like the original PC version.. VIII needs a mod but it's as easy as replacing a folder in the game's installation directory.
I&II on PSP have an amazing remastered soundtrack plus what you mentioned, they also have more more content.

Just curious—I know nothing about this—why does no one like the Playstation versions of the earlier FF games? Seems like it would be a lot better than sprites.

A couple of people in this thread have mentioned the scripts being bad… is that really it? I mean, how can you possibly screw something like that up when you're competing with an NES-era translation?

Vashetti

Banned
Also do you or anyone know if Square changed the lip syncing in this game to match the English language track, similar to the Kingdom Hearts series? Curious about FFXIII as well.

English dub syncs perfectly with XII, XIII, etc.

I think it's just X and X-2 where it doesn't.

Aeana

Just curious—I know nothing about this—why does no one like the Playstation versions of the earlier FF games? Seems like it would be a lot better than sprites.

A couple of people in this thread have mentioned the scripts being bad… is that really it? I mean, how can you possibly screw something like that up when you're competing with an NES-era translation?

The PSX versions of FF1 and 2 are my favorite versions of those games. They have some actual difficulty, whereas the GBA/PSP ones do not. The translations for these are fine.

It's FF5 PSX that got the terrible translation. And FF6 just runs really poorly.

Holykael1

Banned
Yeah certainly the psx version of FF1&2 is harder but the psp remakes is reasonably a challenging RPG in it's own right. I think they are perfectly balanced, bug free and the improvements are too great to ignore. There is also an extra super challenging dungeon not present in any other version.

The difficulty is lessened by such things as getting more experience and gold per encounter(which is a good thing because it goes against any need to grind(equipment for instance)). On the other hand you have the spell cast limitations instead of a traditional MP system which I don't think makes up for interesting challenge, it's more cumbersome than anything.(The mechanics of the psp and gba remake are equal while the PS1 version mantains the elements from the NES version and changes a few things)

There are few things in the way of actual difficulty in the fights themselves(I think there are differences in the way poison and potions work and the rest should be the same) as far as I know. Of course at the end of the day it's all a matter of preference.

Vorg

Banned
Not sure why exactly people are recommending the snes version of final fantasy VI over the GBA version. The game was finally properly translated. You miss out on a lot of details and story elements if tou pick the snes version. Not to mention the extra stuff.

Slime

Banned
Personally:

FFI & II = Origins (PS1)
FFIII = Famicom
FFIV = DS
FFV = Super Famicom/GBA for English localization
FFVI = SNES
FFXII = International Zodiac Job System

Aeana

Not sure why exactly people are recommending the snes version of final fantasy VI over the GBA version. The game was finally properly translated. You miss out on a lot of details and story elements if tou pick the snes version. Not to mention the extra stuff.
It was properly translated to begin with. The GBA translation of 6 is an edit of the SNES translation to fix some niggling errors and censorship, not a retranslation like FF5 received.

SerTapTap

Definitely

If nothing else I hope they liberate FF 4/5/6 from having the best versions on GBA, with weird aspect ratio, colors and sound, and censored. 6 probably has the least definitive "best" version of the series due to each version being better and flawed in it's own ways, which is a shame because it's a fan favorite.

As far as Final Fantasy 4 goes, the best version is either the SNES or DS. The SNES version has a lot of charm in it's simplicity while the DS version is a lot harder and has more customization. I personally prefer the SNES version but that could be nostalgia talking.

I'm not as big a fan of the GBA or PSP versions. The GBA version has a buggy battlesystem which makes turns come up seemingly randomly and have the charge on some abilities be so long they become useless. The PSP one would likely be the definitive version had they not drastically reduced the difficulty of an already easy game.

Vorg

Banned
It was properly translated to begin with. The GBA translation of 6 is an edit of the SNES translation to fix some niggling errors and censorship, not a retranslation like FF5 received.

Well, having played both recently, the gba version is just easier to understand and the events and conversations flow much better. Also, I'm not sure they only fixed some niggling errors. The game just seems to have a lot more text and information than the snes version.

FF1 - ps1
FF2 - ps1
FF3 - DS
FF4 - DS
FF5 - PS1
FF6 - SNES
FF7 - ps1
FF8 - ps1
FF9 - ps1
FF10 - ps2 or ps3 (ps2 has better character models in cutscenes and no lag so IMO they are both about even)
FF11 - PC
FF12 - ps2
FF13 - ps3
FF14 - PC

SeanTSC

I really wish that they had carried over all FF4's DS version gameplay changes and tweaks to the PSP version. The PSP version is, imo, easily the most gorgeous and it's a shame that it lacks all of the DS improvements.

Ourobolus

Banned

Look, I like seeing my imprisoned women gut-punched. So sue me.

Lothar

Banned

Because the music on GBA sounds like utter garbage.

gba vs SNES

gba vs SNES

Please no one play a FF6 that sounds like that.

My definite list of each FF game (only one platform per game, not counting emulations (PS1 on PS3 for example)):

FFI: PSX
FFII: PSX
FFIII: Steam
FFIV: iOS
FFIVAY: Wii
FFV: GBA
FFVI: GBA (yes, even with the slightly inferior sound)
FFVII: Steam
FFVIII: Steam
FFIX: PSX (duh)
FFX: PS3
FFX-2: PS3
FFXI: PC
FFXII: PS2 (International Zodiac System)
FFXIII-LR: PS3 (obviously)
FFIV: Steam

dan2026

If this is what the phone version of VI looks like, it honestly doesn't look half bad to me.
And it has the GBA translation and the Snes music.

FFVI_iOS_Battle.png

Top Bottom