• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a video game equivalent to a critically panned but sucessful movie?

The Wii library. Stuff like Wii Sports and Sports Resort had 80s or lower for reviews. Wii Sports - specifically - sits at a 76, even though it is still one of the most popular console games of all time and was hugely influential. Mario Kart Wii only has an 82 on Metacritic, the lowest-rated Mario Kart. New Super Mario Bros couldn't even average above a 90.

Yet all of these games have sold in the tens of millions.

Destiny is the answer! A game designed to squeeze every last cent out of it's fans and then treat them like idiots. This game has everything I despise as a gamer and a sure sign that gaming has gone to shit if this is what we are to expect from AAA studios/development. Fuck Activision, I bet they are 100% the reason for everything that is wrong with crap.

SinShep

Colonel Marines was a success? Didn't it bomb?

It sold about 1.31 million US copies in the first month, most of which would've been from pre-orders and day one purchases thanks to the game's vertical slices being it's only representation up until release.

It's also an excellent example of reviewers completely missing the point, since unlike Sonic 2006, Just Dance 1 got good consumer reviews on metacritic and Amazon (4.3/5 with 1,000+ reviews).

I don't think critics' and the general audience's opinions differing means either that the critics or general audience "missed the point". I mean, we're comparing it to film here and I think that's fairly common. I don't think the critics really missed the point of Grandma's Boy. Critics' opinions not falling in line with popular ones isn't a flaw in the critics (or audiences).

Riposte

The equivalent, if there must be one, would probably be various mobile and social games, mainly of the F2P variety, if reviewers bothered to reviewed them (or perhaps reviewed them in a direct competition with console/pc hits).

Flop is too strong of a word for one of Capcom's biggest sellers ever. It's a flop in the sense Tomb Raider (2013) was a flop, which isn't much of one.

SinShep

Considering the scale starts at 6 for most review sites, 7/10 average is universally panned.

Not when there are still games releasing that receive much lower than that every year. You might be able to call 7/10 a universal pan in the AAA region, but that's not the focus of this thread.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Flop is too strong of a word for one of Capcom's biggest sellers ever. It's a flop in the sense Tomb Raider (2013) was a flop, which isn't much of one.
I feel like it was their most expensive game ever.

GamerJM

Banned
Call of Duty: Ghosts might be a really good example, because its critical and fan reception was poor, the game represented a lot of what people dislike about the industry, and yet it still sold really well.

Top Bottom