• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a video game genre that you just stopped playing and/or enjoying for whatever reason?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
FPS multiplayer. I was in love with the genre all the way through BF4. Once the genre started to shift to seasons and live service nonsense, I just lost interest completely. It’s more about flashy skins and micro transactions than anything now. It’s like all of the soul that made the genre magical disappeared.

SHA

First-person games in general. Puts me off whatever the genre - had a great time with Halo, DOOM, COD and R6 back the day, but can't muster the interest anymore.
I'm hesitant to play COD for this specific reason "burnt-out", it's expensive, I'd rather take care of my favorite genre/s through life than just consuming them in an unhealthy and unpleasant way, games won't go away and everyone got plenty of time before being serious about quitting.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Echoing your thoughts on RTS games OP.

Several times a year I think "I should replay Galactic Battlegrounds or Battle for Middle Earth" but I haven't touched an RTS game in over 10 years. To be fair... I have only replayed a handful of games... but I haven't played a "new" RTS ever.

Also echoing peoples thoughts on sports games. I think the last sports game I played was Madden 2013... and that was at a buddies house. I have never really been into sports games. Just not my cup of tea.

The last one I played a lot of was NFL 2k5.
Oh man, this just reminded me about Galactic Battlegrounds and how I want to play it now, lol. I loved that game back in the day. I know that it's basically just a reskin of AoE II but the problem with AoE is that I was never interested in the medieval setting and a Star Wars reskin solved that and helped me get into that type of an RTS.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Racing games.

Used to be super into them, and NFS Carbon is still up there as one of the best games I ever played.

But I have no desire to play them anymore, whatsoever. I don't know why...
I've been working my way through the Need For Speed series since the beginning of this year and to be honest? Carbon was the second-most fun that I've had with the series, right after Hot Pursuit 2 (the PS2 version). It's surprising to revisit those older games and realize just how many problems they had that I never noticed back in the day just because I was so blinded by the presentation that felt so novel at the time.

But Carbon... idk, there's just something about it that makes it super fun to play. The arcade car physics are some of the most satisfying in the series and I also love the soundtrack and the overall vibe of the game.

Last edited:

SHA

Fighting games. I loved playing in the arcade when I was a kid but the online equivalent does nothing but piss me off.

I still don't know why I bought SF5 when it came out. Fucking hated playing it online.
I think SF have reached a point where it won't recover from it, the IP have already lost its weight, it became a single match once in awhile, the game no longer addictive.

small_law

Most Sports games, I just don't have the time and unlike Fighting games, they are harder to come back to later as new ones are out
I was a big NCAA football guy for years. After it went on hiatus (largely because it was the basis of the NIL lawsuit student athletes filed), I don't think I've played a sports game since.

EA got super lazy about Madden. They may have blown up the entire engine once or twice in the past decade, but they never quite get AI or animations right. Maybe two or three years ago, EA didn't bother to update stadium assets from the previous year. Sideline stuff in Madden 2022 said Madden 2021.

There's a whole part of YouTube dedicated just to Madden and it's fascinating. Those guys know that game inside and out, not just a bunch of cheap 12-year-old tricks. It's like the Diet Coke version of the fighting game community.

GymWolf

Platforms
Pure action games (or character action games) like bayo or dmc, gow\sekiro is the max speed i enjoy.
Beat em up\fighting games
Soccer games

Absolutely loved these genres when i was little but i just don't get much fun from them anymore, especially beat em up and platforms, i still try some action game once in a while (dmc 5, ff16).

I loved fighting games on the SNES/PS1 but lost interest once they started being tailored to suit the pro gaming nonsense.

I've had my fill of indie side scrollers, metroidvanias and walking sims about depression or the environment or whatever. My gamepass 3 year cheapo sub is up in a couple of months and I'll seriously consider dropping it entirely because half the new games release on it are in that genre.

Sports games are fairly disposable at this stage so I can't be bothered with them when there's a new one with a clean slate every year.

Pejo

I originally took this as a more literal thing with "stopped playing" and my answer for that question is Ubisoft-style open world games. Like I still buy them and start playing them, but I get to a point where I'm near the end of the story and all that's left to do is collect 1000 bing bongs and I mentally wear myself out and stop playing it and never go back and finish it. I full well know I should just skip the collection stuff and finish the story, but for whatever reason I don't.

For Genres I don't play anymore, it's probably sports games. EA ruined them in my eyes for the big US sports, and it's zero fun to play them anymore. Man I miss the NFL 2K series.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Deep Rock Galagtic, they started adding seasonal content like a regular GaaS title...

The issue is its all free, the funny thing is though despite being completely free I am just put off by battle passes in general, I dislike them conceptually as they are only there to up engagement. It turns me from "I am playing this game because it is fun" into "I am playing this game because I need to reach the end of this pass"

I would be playing it off and on still, but because I perhaps don't want to spend 40+ hours this month on one game I just don't play at all as otherwise its a waste...

I'm starting to get that with the new street fighter 6 now, and have moved back over to melty blood because of it.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Platforming games, I just got tired of them during the Mega drive era.
Fighting games. Several now require learning a ton of combos and juggling. And a lot have really bad final bosses. Tekken 7 was a good example of these issues.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
80% of games I play I "just stop playing" because I no longer enjoy them.
I don't consider that a bad thing, though - by that point I usually got 10-20 hours out of them. Worth the entrance price, usually.

Games that manage to hold my attention throughout the entire game are very, very, very rare.

But then again, I also often play games that cannot really be "completed", sandboxy or roguelite games for example.

MMORPGS.

Played the shit out of them and they were one big reason I built a PC but haven't touched any in years. WoW was probably my favourite but I can't bring myself to pay it for every month and I didn't play enough to get Tokens.

Fighting

I bought Street Fighter V when it came out but wasn't having fun. Tried Smash Bros on Switch which was cool but all I was playing was against CPU. I don't want to play people online because I know there is no way I'll be as good and I'll get my ass kicked. Fighting games were only fun for me when it was playing with friends.

It was also real-time strategy for me. I spent many hours playing Warcraft, Command & Conquer, Z, Age of Empires and many others that I would have to look up to refresh my memory. Since Dune 2, that was my favourite genre. StarCraft 2 put an end to that. I enjoyed the game, but quickly ended up just watching matches instead of playing. I don’t think I have touched an RTS since.

Disco Dave

RPGs in general. I only get a chance to game for an hour or two some nights during the week so my time is limited. I grew up on the Phantasy Star series, Sword of Vermillion, Shining Force, Soliel, Zelda ALTP, Chrono Trigger etc, where the stories were condensed due to storage limitations. They were still epic, but dialogue was limited and generally on point.

As storage expanded, RPGs now have bloated stories that don't respect my time. Stories are generally too convoluted and poorly written with expositions and characters often repeating the same things multiple times. I usually end up skipping entire scenes rather than sit through another story dump. One of the worst offending games for repetitive dialogue was Golden Sun Dark Dawn. I loved the originals but the sequel was ruined by a mediocre story and pointless cut scenes that repeated basic points that were unskippable. The Star Ocean series post PS2 is insufferable.

I also don't think the stories are as good as the 16bit games.

Notable exceptions are the Witcher 3, RDR2 and most recently FF 16 (although I did skip a lot of side quest dialogue).

Last edited:

Lasha

But you said in your first post that you didn't like new games. So new games are stagnant and old games aren't worth playing?

This is a thread about genres one has stopped playing. I beat the games on that list ages ago. Viewtiful joe is 20 years old this year.

UnNamed

Banned
Beat'em up.

I was very into them during the Golden Age from SF2 to Tekken3, I think I played almost every BemU available on the 16bit and 32bit platforms.

Then I stopped playing because of lack of time, since they need a lot of training to be mastered. And also because everything is online now, the appeal of ervery BemU is to play together, mess up, drink, insult, launch pads, etc.

Zheph

Tactical RPG
need to spend more time reflecting on why but it just got harder and harder to stay focus and enjoy it which is a shame as i have so many good memories with the genre

Rogue likes. The best imo were Spelunky, Rogue Legacy and Hades but I dont even play those anymore. I completely avoid them these days.

On rare occasions I will play some Shiren the Wanderer though.

Fbh

Yeah used to love RTS.
Age of empires was the first game I sort of got obsessed with as a kid and through the years I played a ton of them (AOE2, Mythologies, Rise of Nations, Warcraft 3, Empire Earth, Battle for Middle earth 1 and 2, etc).

I think part of the reason I dropped them was when I started playing more on console, but also there aren't a lot of new ones that interest me.

Last one I really enjoyed was Battle For Middle earth 2 and no new game can scratch that itch. Picked up Total War Warhammer 2 a few years ago thinking it would be similar but I hate the overworld tur based bits.

Drizzlehell

Banned
80% of games I play I "just stop playing" because I no longer enjoy them.
I don't consider that a bad thing, though - by that point I usually got 10-20 hours out of them. Worth the entrance price, usually.

Games that manage to hold my attention throughout the entire game are very, very, very rare.

But then again, I also often play games that cannot really be "completed", sandboxy or roguelite games for example.
It's not about completing games. It's about genres that you used to enjoy but you don't play them anymore these days.

DryvBy

Everyone keeps saying RTS games. What RTS games are even out except AOE? Most of them are 4x life sucking games or moba tier trash. Are there any modern real base building RTS games like C&C or AOE?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeah used to love RTS.
Age of empires was the first game I sort of got obsessed with as a kid and through the years I played a ton of them (AOE2, Mythologies, Rise of Nations, Warcraft 3, Empire Earth, Battle for Middle earth 1 and 2, etc).

I think part of the reason I dropped them was when I started playing more on console, but also there aren't a lot of new ones that interest me.

Last one I really enjoyed was Battle For Middle earth 2 and no new game can scratch that itch. Picked up Total War Warhammer 2 a few years ago thinking it would be similar but I hate the overworld tur based bits.
Yeah, I just think that there aren't any good RTS games anymore. The desire to revisit the genre is still there, hence why I try to give it another try every once in a while, but there's just nothing that would hold my interest. I actually replayed Dawn of War 2 with its expansions a few months ago and had a pretty good time.

What I would be really interested in is another game in the style of World in Conflict. That game was fucking amazing but Massive has moved on to other things after that and I don't think that a different developer would be able to pick up the mantle.

Griffon

Devil May Cry-likes character-action games.

This genre is dead to me, DMC5 bored me to tears. Combos are too long and dumb. Watching people play FF16 and doing 20 string combos to kill a single wolf trashmob is so fucking dumb.

Not only that, but this genre is extremely repetitive, usually once you've found your best combo string, you spend the whole game doing that same chain of attacks over and over again.

I'd rather have single deathblows like in Sekiro.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Everyone keeps saying RTS games. What RTS games are even out except AOE? Most of them are 4x life sucking games or moba tier trash. Are there any modern real base building RTS games like C&C or AOE?
From the last several years? Age of Empires 4, Grey Goo, Iron Harvest, Crossfire Legion, Company of Heroes 3, Starship Troopers: Terran Comman, The Great War: Western Front, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, Dawn of War 3... and a few others.

The problem is that most of these are average at best. I think Deserts of Kharak was the only one where I was truly engrossed by the campaign because it's Homeworld and I love that series. I have really high hopes for Homeworld 3 too, whenever that finally comes out.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah, I just think that there aren't any good RTS games anymore. The desire to revisit the genre is still there, hence why I try to give it another try every once in a while, but there's just nothing that would hold my interest. I actually replayed Dawn of War 2 with its expansions a few months ago and had a pretty good time.

What I would be really interested in is another game in the style of World in Conflict. That game was fucking amazing but Massive has moved on to other things after that and I don't think that a different developer would be able to pick up the mantle.

I can't believe what happened to company of heroes 3... what a let down.

I really hope for some sort of indie revival.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Fighting. I’m just not good at them, so I don’t play them anymore. The last few MK story modes I have played and beat on game pass. I turned the difficulty all the way down and shortened the fights to one round.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I can't believe what happened to company of heroes 3... what a let down.

I really hope for some sort of indie revival.
There is this one indie game that's currently being developed that is very clearly inspired by Command & Conquer both in gameplay and the overall vibe, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name right now. I only remember seeing a trailer for it some time ago. I'm definitely gonna check that out once it releases.

Edit: NVM, I found it:

Damn, that looks so cool, lol.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
It's not about completing games. It's about genres that you used to enjoy but you don't play them anymore these days.
Oh, yeah.
My bad.

Genre-wise, I used to love playing those city-builder or zoo-builder or themepark-builder like games.
But nowadays, whenever I try to get into one, I easily get anything up to some medium state of stable income (or whatever equivalent) and then I lose any and all interest in proceeding further. I don't even experience half of the content because I lose my will to play further. Due to that, I have stopped buying those kinds of games almost entirely.

Likewise most multiplayer PvP games like CS:GO or so. I played those a lot as a teen, but I guess at some point you just grow up and no longer feel that need of turning each game into dick length comparisons.
And you also grow out of the kind of communication that tends to come with those kinds of games ;)
If anything MP-wise, I sometimes play co-op games with my partner nowadays, or maybe join some streamers' community games.

RTS-wise I can only second the notion that there haven't been many great offerings in recent years.
Most try to catch that elusive multiplayer RTS audience, completely forgetting that most people who played those games 15-20 years back didn't even play multiplayer or only very little.
And then they also pull stupid stunts like AoE4 launching without even a proper ladder, while also having super lackluster single player content.

I am convinced that a really good RTS could do very well financially - not on the same level as more casual games, obviously, but still very much profitable.
Northgard is a very positive recent example. Smallish team, did well financially, released lots of DLC, lots of content for SP and I think a somewhat active MP scene, too.
That's how you do it.

Last edited:

intbal

Sports.
Nothing wrong with the games themselves.
I just grew to despise professional athletes.
I'll still play some Bases Loaded or Outlaw Golf, though.

The Stig

Fighting games. I loved playing in the arcade when I was a kid but the online equivalent does nothing but piss me off.

I still don't know why I bought SF5 when it came out. Fucking hated playing it online.
same with me. i cant do it any more. too many characters. and each character has so much variation its just mind boggling.

also FIFA, cant stand all the MTX nonsense. why cant i just pay $60 and get the entire game?

Last edited:

Dynasty8

JRPGS - They just got too cringey for me after the SNES/PS1/PS2 eras. Some good ones still exist, but they're rare.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Open World games. Not necessarily a genre and lots of genres have open world, but with very few exceptions, I'm burned tf out on Open World. I don't want to go and fill in the map and I don't want to hunt icons and all the other shit that comes with open world.

I think that in my case I just completely drifted apart from RTS games. Every once in a blue moon, I will make an attempt to play something more recent in the genre, only to find out that all of it is just bad and not fun at all. Maybe if I'm in a mood, I will then put on an old classic like Dawn of War, play a couple of missions, and move on.

But most of all, I just don't have the patience for those games anymore. So many real-time strategies depend on a trial-and-error approach to mission design that will force you into replaying them no matter how much you will have your strategy figured out. Unless you already knew that there's some stupid scripted event in the middle of a mission that can wipe your units away in seconds, you will be caught off guard without a way to recover or think fast, and the only option will be to reload a save. It didn't used to bother me as much when I was younger and I would play an absolute ass-load of RTS games, but nowadays when something like that happens, I just wanna shut off the game and put on something that's not gonna frustrate me as much.

To be honest, the only game in recent memory that had missions that were actually fun and allowed you enough breathing room to flex that quick-thinking strategic muscle was StarCraft 2, and it's probably why it still remains the number one RTS on the market to this day.
Same, every now and then I buy a new WWII RTS game and it pretty much always ends up being a waste of money because these games have no fun outcomes if you lose. You simply lose, have wasted your time and there's no reason to go replay the same mission again for 45 minutes.

Top Bottom